PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders (Inspired by Avernum series)

Cieyrin
2017-09-30, 04:46 PM
So I was playing Avernum recently when I came across a colony of Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders and I thought I wanted to roll them up as a playable race, as who wouldn't want to play a spider bard?
Now, they are a high RP race, as they do things that low level characters simply can't, so for power purposes, compare a 1st level G.I.F.T.S. with a 3rd-4th level character of another more normal fantasy race.
Lemme know what you think, what could be improved, what can be expanded, etc. P.E.A.C.H., as it were.
Link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uajfbXTWhY4kVYEhfMwn0Y4fPPUBzsgMBWjCAehq0Uc/edit?usp=sharing)

rferries
2017-10-01, 01:55 PM
Ha I love it! You took them in an entirely different direction from my Spiderfolk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529211-Spiderfolk-(low-power-Nerubians-Ettercaps-for-PCs)) - yours are clearly adorable! My Pathfinder balance isn't the greatest but I feel like you can mitigate the ability penalties slightly - they have a variety of features but I'm not sure they deserve a net -2 ability score array.

nikkoli
2017-10-01, 02:20 PM
1. Thank you for this. G.I.F.T.S. are a true gift.
2. In the point break down you have "Eternal Hope" I can't seem to find that in the main section, am I missing that somewhere?

Cieyrin
2017-10-01, 08:07 PM
1. Thank you for this. G.I.F.T.S. are a true gift.
2. In the point break down you have "Eternal Hope" I can't seem to find that in the main section, am I missing that somewhere?

Eternal Hope is part of Upbeat, which also has the Skill Bonus(Diplomacy) rolled into it.

Ha I love it! You took them in an entirely different direction from my Spiderfolk - yours are clearly adorable! My Pathfinder balance isn't the greatest but I feel like you can mitigate the ability penalties slightly - they have a variety of features but I'm not sure they deserve a net -2 ability score array.

For their total ability modifiers, Mixed Weakness is one of the standard ability sets the PF Race Builder offers, which Svirfneblin also make use of. I used it early on, as I knew they'd probably be high RP and while it doesn't necessarily push them out of what would effectively be LA +3 in 3.X, I just kinda stuck with it. G.I.F.T.S. are kinda endearing idiots, really, so I felt it was okay to stick with it. I don't really see them being wizards and if they went Rogue, while they won't have as much skill points as many rogues tend to, they'll still make interesting faces, as well as having good 3D mobility.