PDA

View Full Version : Do-A-Deity Workshop: A competition

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-30, 07:47 PM
Hello Giantitpites,

Welcome to Do-A-Diety Workshop. Where I, daremeto, will give you an alignment, a divine rank, a chosen weapon, and two domains, and then you build a Deity for Clerics to worship.

Entrants
All entries will be PM'd to the chairperson, daremetoidareyo, by Oct 22nd at 11:59 GMT.

Entries must consist of
1. Bangin Epic Art depicting the Deity
2. A stub consisting of at least 20HD, no more than 40HD, Hit Dice, and the correct number of salient divine depending on the divine rank. Model what stats your deity must show based on the statblocks from Deities and Demigods, Include the following:

Name
1-3 Italicized descriptive subtitles
Symbol (2 Sentence maximum)
Homeplane
Alignment
Portfolio
Worshippers
Cleric Alignments
Domains
Favored Weapon
Dogma (5 sentences maximum)
Clergy and Temples: (5 Sentences Maximum)
Statblock

3. A short story about the Deity that demonstrates how it relates to its domains and chosen weapon.
4. A short description of a holiday ritual or cultural tradition related to the deity

All sources must be 3.0 or 3.5. No dragon magazine, except the Oriental adventures update to 3.5 in dragon #318. Dragon compendium is allowed.

Judges
We'll accept volunteer judges who will judge on a scale from 1 to 5 (1 being a total failure and 5 being super well done) based on the following three categories:

Eligibility - Does the entry conform to the rules of the contest? Is the Deity build allowable within the rules?

Panache - How mindstunningly clever is this deity. How does this Deity work into the realms of a generic D&D campaign? How well does this Deity establish their relationship with the contest domains?

Mythos - How good is the story for this deity? Is this a god you would offer to your players? Is this a god as a player that you would want to pray to?

Winning
Winners get the opportunity to shape the follow up contest.
The first place winner chooses the favored weapon and one domain for the next contest
The second place winner chooses the second domain for the next contest
The third place winner chooses the alignment for the next contest.

The Raw supplies for this workshop include:
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Domains: Plant (SRD) Fate (Spell Compendium 274)
Favored weapon: Bootblade (Complete Scoundrel 110)
Divine Rank: 6

PM entries to the chairperson, daremetoidareyo, by Oct 22nd at 11:59 GMT

Technetium43
2017-09-30, 08:09 PM
... Yeah, ya know what, sure, I'm down. Have a couple ideas already, I'm liking this. Only thing that concerns me is that 'Eligibility' is a very all or nothing category. Like, there are very few situations in which it's not going to be either 5 or 1, so it feels like it should just be like a pre-requisite anyways.

Thealtruistorc
2017-09-30, 09:41 PM
This seems like a really cool challenge, although I must say that the part about creating a stablock seems tedious. I envision you could get more people by waving the stats part, but I still may try this competition.

I've already got a great idea for a god

Goaty14
2017-09-30, 09:43 PM
Somebody has to do a Pun-Pun deity, so I'll draft this as a JOKE so don't actually take it seriously, except improvements are welcomed.
1. Pun-Pun
2. God of Power (Metagaming reveals it to be optimization; but what do in-game adepts know?)
3. ???
4. Private Demiplane
5. TN
6. Power, Destruction, and Leadership
7. Those whom seek to gain power; In other words, Adventurers
8. Any, except since evil characters are more concerned with themselves, he favors evil alignments (similarly to how St Cuthbert favors good characters)
9. (I don't want to go out of core, coz I'm lazy, so..) Destruction, Strength, War
10. Spiked Chain
11. I'm too lazy to do the rest of this, but I encourage improvements.

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-30, 10:59 PM
Alright then, Instead of statblock:

How about:
1. Choose 20-40 class levels to have on top of your 20HD of outsider levels.
2. Identify your salient divine abilities, based on divine rank and class levels, (I'll get a chart up).
A deity has one salient divine ability for each divine rank the deity has, plus additional salient divine abilities reflecting its status:
Demigods receive one bonus ability, lesser deities receive two bonus abilities, intermediate deities receive three, and greater deities receive five.
3. optional: Choose your feats and/or skills
4. optional: your ability scores may not add up to a score greater than 200, no single score may contain more than 1/4 of that number. (For example: say you decide to make a deity with six ability scores that add up to 180, no single score can be higher than 45.)

lylsyly
2017-10-02, 04:41 PM
I have been working up deities for my new homebrew but the Art requirements turn me right off.