PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need ideas for retooling a character for a new game. (Idea is blood thirsty Lancer)

sage20500
2017-10-01, 01:30 AM
So regretfully, a mythic gestalt game I was just in ended abruptly because of some issues the dm is having irl, but one of the other players is wanting to continue on with the idea and make a new campaign.

Theme is a wuxia setting, and the characters are starting at level 3 gestalt. I'm wanting to import my old character into the new setting, but I'm trying to think of how to consider rebuilding her to be more effective since after having played harbinger for a bit I've grown a bit disillusioned with the class. It was mostly aside from the added mobility that I really loved, the claim mechanics got really action heavy on the economy to the point to where I almost never bothered using it when I could be using a boost instead, and the extra focus onto intelligence as a primary stat was throwing me off since I was almost always better off investing more heavily into dexterity since I got Dex added fully to damage, accuracy, and AC, instead of Int only giving me half to accuracy and full to damage.

Originally core build for the character was Vigilante Stalker//Harbinger, focused on using a longspear. Her personality that I was playing her as was essentially this: At a first glance, one thing many might notice about Rin is that it seems as if she is almost perpetually upbeat. There almost always seems to be a smile on her face, a skip in her step; no matter what might be going on. She generally tries to be very polite around people, though at times her inability to not be blunt, her occasional sarcastic quips, or her habit of playing the trickster can lead her into some trouble. Heaven help the one though that should actually try and insult Rin; a side effect of her heritage has led to Rin tending to hold grudges against anyone who would try to trample upon her pride, in particular that of her pride in her skill of arms. Those who have the misfortune of doing so tend to find themselves suffering from severely bad luck until they've made things right.

To those who have truly spent time around her and have come to know her though, many have noticed that it seems as if Rin is always constantly holding her true self back. Some of the closest people that know her will swear that they have never seen Rin look so alive than when ever she is in the midst of a fight. To Rin, conflict and combat has always felt like it was an essential part of her being. The thrill of constantly walking the razors edge by putting your life on the line as you desperately struggle against another being for survival is a high that she can find no where else. The more promising the fight or challenge is; the more eager she feels to just cut loose and prove her self against those opponents that are brave or stupid enough to face her steel. At times many might swear the girl is visibly radiating an aura of crimson red blood lust when ever she feels a potentially good fight is on the horizon.

Essentially the trope I was going for was for the genki ish Blood Knight type feel. So with that being in mind, what are some ideas I can work with that could mesh well with Stalker in order to make a Cu Chulainn type feeling character (so someone that stabs people pretty hard, generally once, and is pretty mobile.) Bonus points for being able to stick with either a longspear or spear like weapon.

Geddy2112
2017-10-01, 11:50 AM
Reading your character and going for Cu Chulainn/Blood knight, barbarian sticks out. That deep down there is a savage warrior behind the happy go lucky kid. If you don't mind grabbing a mount, cavalier would also be a really good build and you could use a lance from horseback for a ton of damage. A barbarian can eventually get pounce, and 2 handing a spear is never a bad choice. You could even go longspear and combat reflexes kind of build if you want. Or even a spring attack build.

So I say barbarian, or maybe cav if you want a mount. Both fit the character thematically, and the mechanics of big hitter charger.

Eox
2017-10-02, 01:42 AM
That build, to me, is begging for some Mage Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/prestige-classes/mage-hunter) levels in there somewhere. You get a decent toolkit for dealing with the most annoying enemies, and access to the Magus spell list gives you a few useful tricks and buffs. As well as nuke spells, of course.

e: The overall idea being that when you get in someone's face, you stay in someone's face. There's also the Landsknecht (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/prestige-classes/landsknecht/), which meshes extremely well with "mobile, hits hard once" but you'd have to use a shortspear and/or Scarlet Throne Style to get the most of it.

sage20500
2017-10-02, 02:08 AM
So idea is being changed slightly, there's now a barbarian in the group already, as well as an archer, a support caster, and someone who's supposed to be the next "goddess of love".... So having updated the concept somewhat now that my character is supposed to end up being known as a "God of Calamity" (am now being more influenced by Yato from Noragami over playing Lancer, especially since it looks like I'm not going to be running a lancer like character in a separate 5e game), what are peoples thoughts on a possible hybrid between Investigator Stalker//Edgelord Harbinger? With a high Dex and Int I would have some really good defense packed onto the chasis, as well as a more reliable sneak attack I could use for burst damage. Between the discplines both classes gain access to I'd have a nice selection of boosts that increase my damage static as well as strikes that can target opponents flat foot ac, Edgelord Harbinger gives me a lot of maneuverability, and a Katana is a pretty solid weapon I can potentially use,

Discipline Wise, I can probably do pretty well with a combination of Mithral Current, Scarlet Throne, Veiled Moon, Steel Serpent, and then a splash of Shattered Mirror, Primal Fury, and maybe Riven Hourglass.

(Landsknecht seems pretty interesting, has anyone here either played or seen one played to maybe give an idea for how well they seem to work?

Though I'm guessing Landsknecht doesn't mesh as nicely if you using Killer's Implements to be dex based...

Though Umbral Blade could be a possibility)

Eox
2017-10-02, 02:43 AM
Landsknecht is best with Scarlet Throne Style and a Zweihander Sentinel Warder. You don't lose all that much going dex-based, and you get some huge defensive bonuses in addition to Combat Reflexes for free. I'd recommend trading Vigilante for Harbinger//Warder/Landsknecht.