PDA

View Full Version : Character Advice for Tomb of Annihilation

NecessaryWeevil
2017-10-01, 02:12 AM
Hi all,

Playing Tomb of Annihilation tomorrow (Adventurer's League). One question: can a social-oriented character be useful in that module? (Not asking for spoilers.) I have a fun RP concept for a Tomelock but I also want her to be useful mechanically. I'm kind of unimpressed with warlocks' (lack of) versatility so I'm thinking charms and such.

Thanks!

djreynolds
2017-10-01, 02:18 AM
Hi all,

Playing Tomb of Annihilation tomorrow (Adventurer's League). One question: can a social-oriented character be useful in that module? (Not asking for spoilers.) I have a fun RP concept for a Tomelock but I also want her to be useful mechanically. I'm kind of unimpressed with warlocks' (lack of) versatility so I'm thinking charms and such.

Thanks!

Is there lots of zombie and undead?

NecessaryWeevil
2017-10-01, 01:17 PM
Just going by the name, I'm guessing...maybe yes? If I knew anything about the module I wouldn't be asking. :)

McNinja
2017-10-01, 09:27 PM
Just going by the name, I'm guessing...maybe yes? If I knew anything about the module I wouldn't be asking. :)I'm about to DM the module myself, and a social-oriented character can do fairly well. There are plenty of times where the group has to gain information, so there is a large social aspect to this campaign. that being said, once you've gotten all the info you need there will be a lot of combat.

Also keep in mind this is kind of hard mode, since you can't resurrect anyone, and anyone who was resurrected before the death curse is wasting away.

Malifice
2017-10-01, 09:34 PM
There are many opportunities for a face to shine in this module.

The starting town is very sand-boxy with several important NPCs, guides etc to get to know and talk to.

In addition there are other areas on the map (iteself a sandbox) with villiages of monsters, NPCs, pirates etc that can often be talked to. Indeed there are several encounters where you really want to be talking and dont want to be going in guns blazing.

That said; avoid Charming things. It makes them hostile afterwards. Personally I'd be looking at a Mastermind Rogue (Expertise in Deception, Persuasion, Insight).

If allowed go Half elf (+2 Cha, extra skills) and take the racial feat 'Everyones Friend' at 4th level (if you can wait that long) that gives +1 Cha, and expertise in Persuasion and Deception.

warsawwombats
2017-10-02, 12:05 AM
I'm about to DM the module myself, and a social-oriented character can do fairly well.

Unless you have a party of impetuous fools who were so obsessed with the time limit to save Syndra Silvane that they left Port Nyanzaru after shopping and then talking to only two NPCs. But I'm not bitter about it...

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-02, 12:09 AM
Don't get too attached?
From what I've heard, the flavor is that once you leave Port Nyanzaru, death can be lurking behind every tree.
And there's a lot of trees in a jungle.

Malifice
2017-10-02, 12:10 AM
Unless you have a party of impetuous fools who were so obsessed with the time limit to save Syndra Silvane that they left Port Nyanzaru after shopping and then talking to only two NPCs. But I'm not bitter about it...

Where did they head to?

djreynolds
2017-10-02, 12:21 AM
Just going by the name, I'm guessing...maybe yes? If I knew anything about the module I wouldn't be asking. :)

Paladin. Divine health level 3. Channel divinity, turn undead.

Devotion paladin, high charisma, persuasion.

And devotion paladin, if single classed, can go dex based.

NecessaryWeevil
2017-10-02, 01:10 AM
Thanks all! I didn't do too bad mechanically and had fun with the RP, also unsure whether I can commit to the campaign due to the timeslot, so I'll be sticking with my insane warlock.