PDA

View Full Version : Drizzt mini

de-trick
2007-08-14, 05:10 PM
Me and my gaming group has the best idea for the Drizzt mini, burn it.

yes burn it first we need

one Drizzt mini
one jug of gasoline
a whole lot of weak common minis
a lighter or matches
a video camera

tape a fight with Drizzt and the common and make the commons win, put gasoline all over Drizzt, then have one common have with a lighter or other source of ignition light Drizzt burn, put on You-tube. and wait for people to cry

Its a dream, for us just to burn him

cody.burton
2007-08-14, 05:17 PM
Please post a link here when you do so. I can't wait!

Kel_Arath
2007-08-15, 12:59 AM
The following post has been recorded, then high-tech software was used to translate it into text.

AAAAHAHHAHAHHHAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Paragon Badger
2007-08-15, 01:19 AM
:(

I kind of like Drizzt in principle...

But R.A. Salvatore has Stephen King Syndrome: Spit out as many books as you can for $$$.

The Dark Elf trilogy, as a spinoff, was better than the original Icewind dale trilogy. Heck, the Dark Elf trilogy was better than all the other FR books by R.A. Salvatore.... perhaps with the exception of the Artemis/Jarlaxle trilogy, though I've only read one of those.

That, and Drizzt's influence on D&D is more of a bad thing than the character, himself...

I think that Drizzt would be not nearly as hated if there weren't so many people playing Chaotic Good drow...

horseboy
2007-08-15, 01:28 AM
I think that Drizzt would be not nearly as hated if there weren't so many people playing Chaotic Good drow...

Quoted for truth. I know I'm tired of XxXDrizzitXxX, Dryzet, Drizzet, Legolas, Leggolas, Drizolas, Legozit and all combinations there in every time an elf shows up in an RPG anymore. :smallfurious:

Behold_the_Void
2007-08-15, 01:29 AM
Reminds me of people who burn the Harry Potter books. Either way, you're still buying the mini, which means you're still giving money to the people who create and endorse Drizzt. Seems kind of pointless, honestly. Especially since there are so many worse characters for me to ever justify complaining about Drizzt.

TempusCCK
2007-08-15, 01:55 AM
Eh, if you don't drop into the Realm of Fanboy-ness and find a way to ignore some of the... Salvatore-isms of the books, the Drizzt novels are extremely good in my opinion.

DrowAndDragon
2008-04-13, 03:41 PM
Wait, why does everyone hate him?:smallconfused:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-13, 03:52 PM

Because Drizzt is an awful character from bad books by a hack of a writer, undeservedly popular and imitated by dint of appealing to emotions everyone goes through in their teens?

I don't know why anybody would bother actively hating either the character, the books, or the author. I just don't read them - problem solved.

Enguhl
2008-04-13, 04:07 PM
I personally liked the books... I don't see why someone would feel strongly enough to burn a Drizzt mini..

UglyPanda
2008-04-13, 04:11 PM

Do you see your own avatar? He's a cliché that a lot of people are sick of. Everyone has had a Drizzt clone at their table at one point or another. Also, Drizzt is emo.

Ecalsneerg
2008-04-13, 04:13 PM
But R.A. Salvatore has Stephen King Syndrome: Spit out as many books as you can for $$$.

Yet people buy them, they make money, and people ask why they continue?

Admiral Squish
2008-04-13, 04:16 PM
I've read all the books, and I know they weren't exactly incredible works of heart-stopping adventure and literary prose, but they weren't bad, either. The whole thing got pretty tired after a while, yeah. But still, it's not drizz't's fault for all those horrible, horrible ripoffs that pollute the collective gaming experience.

mikeejimbo
2008-04-13, 04:20 PM
Salvatore is laughing all the way to the bank, as they say.

Zocelot
2008-04-13, 04:47 PM
Meh, methinks that Drizzt is very hypocritical. He complains about all the evil characters, but although his words put him at Chaotic Good, I'd say his actions put him more at Chaotic Neutral. He is like Miko, being Good only in the fact that he kills evil things.

Newtkeeper
2008-04-13, 07:53 PM
Yet people buy them, they make money, and people ask why they continue?

People will buy almost anything, if everyone else is doing it. How the trend starts is a question for wiser heads than mine.

It isn't a bad series, really, but it isn't all that good. I think the main problem with Drizzt, though, isn't any flaws (real or imagined) in the books, but all the people who make Drizzt* clone PCs. Generally, when something has achieved a following that appears (rightly or wrongly) to be out of proportion to its merits, people complain.

*For the uninitiated, a Drizzt clone is a PC Drow with heavy and non-coincidental similarities to Drizzt. The number of Drow PCs who flee the underdark (and yearn to throw off the reputation of their evil kin) yearly is enough to make one wonder if there are any left.

Talya
2008-04-14, 06:08 AM
Drizzt is a very good character, from some books that admittedly started less well written than they are now. (Either Salvatore took some writing classes, or got himself a great editor, because the Hunter's Blades trillogy feels like he dictated ideas while he got someone much better to write it.)

Salvatore always wrote action well, and created neat characters, but his narrative left something to be desired, until recently.

*For the uninitiated, a Drizzt clone is a PC Drow with heavy and non-coincidental similarities to Drizzt. The number of Drow PCs who flee the underdark (and yearn to throw off the reputation of their evil kin) yearly is enough to make one wonder if there are any left.

I agree with this, but "good surface Drow" does not a Drizzt-clone make. There's an entire religion at war with Lolth trying to redeem the Drow people. Nevertheless, there are still too many Drizzits, Drzzits, ZZ'drii's, Dzzirts, etc, who dual weild scimitars, and have a big black cat.

Tengu
2008-04-14, 06:15 AM
Welcome to the world of...

THREAD NECROMANCY
http://www.mythinglinks.org/Dianne~necromancy~r35darkd.jpg

Fitz
2008-04-14, 06:21 AM
its been mentioned already, but Drittzt himself isn't really the problem it is the clones.
to the point that the drow entry should now read: free weapon prof Scimitar and twf feaats, always CG alignment, Skill focus Angst as a bonus feat, and angst is always a class skill. must take 1 level of ranger.

Fitz (who played a drow once in a one off and left it at that :smallwink: )

SilverSheriff
2008-04-14, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the world of...

THREAD NECROMANCY
http://www.mythinglinks.org/Dianne~necromancy~r35darkd.jpg

*Casts Turn Undead.*

skywalker
2008-04-14, 12:08 PM
*Casts Turn Undead.*

That would've been funny if you were a mod posting to lock this thread. I'd like to point this one out to Roland, if he happens along. It's clever. I'd steal it from this guy.

DrowAndDragon
2008-04-15, 05:46 PM
Awwww, ****. I made my character a Drizzt clone completely by accident. I seriously didn't even realize. Hes Chaotic Good, and although he dose not wield dual scimitars, he does have dual long swords, which is enough to call him a clone. But he isn't out for vengeance against the drow empire, he just didn't like it and left. Still, I chose the avatar mostly because it was the closest thing to my character. Now im tempted to completely change his background

Saihyol
2008-04-15, 06:07 PM
As a teen I read the books and liked them a lot (but never wanted to play him), reading them now I'm less impressed.

I think overall if someone had written that many books about a character and we didn't then see 1,000,000,000s of PC copies there wouldn't be such hatred. Personally I always wanted to play Jarlaxle.

He's by far the worst, but I'm equally sick of:

Conan Clone
Gandalf Clone
Jimmy the Hand Clone
Druss Clone

I could go on but I think you get the unifying theme here...

SadisticFishing
2008-04-15, 06:09 PM
Awwww, ****. I made my character a Drizzt clone completely by accident. I seriously didn't even realize. Hes Chaotic Good, and although he dose not wield dual scimitars, he does have dual long swords, which is enough to call him a clone. But he isn't out for vengeance against the drow empire, he just didn't like it and left. Still, I chose the avatar mostly because it was the closest thing to my character. Now im tempted to completely change his background

Now you're just jumping on the bandwagon of the bandwagon haters. Which is just as bad, if not even worse, than jumping on a normal bandwagon jumper.

You have a cool character idea, with a cool background, and you liked it until someone told you that you were copying someone else. Change nothing.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-15, 06:11 PM
Jimmy the Hand Clone

Only one I've ever cloned, and it was as an NPC - Ten Finger Tim. He had ten fingers :P He is an amazing character, d0od. He wins the Best Non-Caster in a Casting World award, with Arutha coming in second, imho.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-04-15, 08:41 PM
BURN! BURN! BURN! Death to the world's most commonly copied lame elf!

Danin
2008-04-15, 09:33 PM
Having read almost all the Drizzt books a few years ago I took a moment to look at them again a few months ago. I realized that, while the writing isn't bad, it really isn't all that good. Making use of tired old cliches and shallow emotional appeals the only real skill the R.A. Salvatore possesses is in his descriptive battle scenes. This is something he can do quite well and earns him some merit as an author.

I do think that the number of Drizzt clones is slightly exaggerated (I've had several Drow in campaigns I've run and most of them have been played rather well: As selfish and manipulative out only to serve themselves) unless you play World of Warcraft.

If you do make such a video (even though you would still be giving them money) please post a link to it, I'm curious and I'm pretty sure I'd fall of my chair laughing like a psychopath. That line really says a lot about my character eh?

DrowAndDragon
2008-04-22, 07:44 PM
Now you're just jumping on the bandwagon of the bandwagon haters. Which is just as bad, if not even worse, than jumping on a normal bandwagon jumper.

You have a cool character idea, with a cool background, and you liked it until someone told you that you were copying someone else. Change nothing.

Eh, I guess you're right.

skywalker
2008-04-22, 10:48 PM
How is this thread still not locked?

DrowAndDragon, allow me to point you here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1) for an explanation of the rules on posting to older threads.

Jayngfet
2008-04-22, 11:01 PM

you think thats bad, I made a completely different drow and I still wound up with a dual wielding ranger!

salvatores law: all drow are drizzt, they just don't know it yet.

Roland St. Jude
2008-04-22, 11:27 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy indeed. Thread locked.