PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain me the relationship between gods?

Sergio
2017-10-01, 06:44 AM
I'm a vecna follower. Does this mean that going inside a temple of Nerull and offering my services is a bad idea? And what kind of services should I offer?

Pleh
2017-10-01, 09:46 AM
Depends on the DM and setting. I'd say a quick Knowledge Religion check should convince your DM to share some of the setting's preferences and have your own character tell you if it seems like a sound business venture.

In general, Vecna is a lich demigod of secrets and Nerull is a god of death. Seems like there's plenty of room to work profitably together, but expect a likely betrayal (dealing with servants of evil, after all).

KillianHawkeye
2017-10-01, 10:15 AM
Typically, I would expect the Evil deities and their followers won't be very friendly to each other, but they won't necessarily be hostile if their ideologies aren't in conflict. Vecna and Nerull, I can see getting along okay. Similarly, I'd expect Gruumsh and Erythnul to get along unless the God of Slaughter is slaughtering Orcs. On the other hand, Hextor has no strong reason get along with any of the other Evil gods, but he probably at least finds Nerull and Vecna more useful than the CE deities.

It's pretty similar to the relationships between Good deities, really, except that the default attitude is lowered from friendly to indifferent.

hamishspence
2017-10-01, 11:34 AM
There's also an element of "depends on the setting".

In Faerun (and arguably, Eberron) the religions are polytheistic enough that worshippers making offerings and prayers to many deities, is the norm rather than the exception.

In Greyhawk, it may not be so - at least, not as strongly.

Psyren
2017-10-01, 12:06 PM
Well, going to a temple of Nerull is a bad idea in general. But it's not going to be any more dangerous for a follower of Vecna than it would be for anyone else that Nerull doesn't actively oppose, like Pelor.

*cue Burning Hate memes*

RedMage125
2017-10-01, 12:18 PM
Also, as a servant of Vecna, god of SECRETS, your allegiance to him can and SHOULD be a secret. Why should you share that fact with the Nerull cult?

Remember, one of Vecna's tenants is that Knowledge is Power. Share no secret about yourself that could ever be used against you.

By all means, walk into a Nerull temple and offer your help. My only question is...what's in it for you?

Calthropstu
2017-10-02, 08:10 AM
Nerul is the god of death. A cleric of Pelor visiting a shrine to nerull to pay respects to the dead or offer pleas for the dying isn't going to offend even a rival deity as that is his sphere of influence. However, an orc offering a battle cry to Tempus instead of Gruumsh might warrant attention.

I wonder though... what would happen if you pray to a god for something NOT in their sphere? Issuing a battle cry to the goddess of lust might have some humorous consequences...

Psyren
2017-10-02, 08:31 AM
Nerul is the god of death. A cleric of Pelor visiting a shrine to nerull to pay respects to the dead or offer pleas for the dying isn't going to offend even a rival deity as that is his sphere of influence.

You're confusing Nerull and Wee Jas. Nerull is very much the "the living should not exist" kind of Death, not the softer "Death is a part of life, let's seek balance" kind. His nicknames even include "Hater of Life" and "Foe of All Good."

I wonder though... what would happen if you pray to a god for something NOT in their sphere? Issuing a battle cry to the goddess of lust might have some humorous consequences...

The god(dess) it does belong to would probably get ticked off. Like a sailor who made offerings to Tymora but not Umberlee could easily end up in a storm and wreck their boat (though Tymora might help them at least survive the experience.)