PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Class features as feats for PrC chars in 3.5

Malapterus
2017-10-01, 10:39 AM
Here's a thought: Would you think it fair to allow a person who has prestiged from a class (or even multiclassed out of it) to go back and get some of the class features using their feats?

Example: I start with a Barbarian and level him up to 10. From there I put some pants on him and switch him to Duelist and arm him with a trident.

The build works out for me, but I miss out on some Rage upgrades; Greater Rage at level 11, Tireless Rage at level 17, Mighty rage at level 20.

I don't want to be Fatigued so I want Tireless Rage. I wish to purchase Tireless Rage as a feat when my character level is 17 or higher. Does this sound fair?

If I wanted Mighty Rage I'd of course expect to have to buy Greater Rage as a prerequisite.

In theory I could also ask to buy each increase of DR in this way.

Note: the Barbarian/Duelist is just an example. Have fun with it, but it's not really relevant to the concept.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-10-01, 10:59 AM
It'd be totally fair, in my book. In the case of the barbarian, more on the weak side of things, I should think.

Westhart
2017-10-01, 11:35 AM
Hmm, I would say it depends... On waht can be bought... say I multiclass out of wizard losing a CL somewhere along the way... Can I take a feat to get the CL boost and new spells/spell levels? )I know there is a feat that bumps CL already, but it does not boost spell levels or spells per day eta eta)

Nifft
2017-10-01, 11:54 AM
Seems reasonable.

Extra Rage is already a feat, and that's kinda a class feature ("+8 levels of Barbarian for the purpose of Rages-per-day").

Make sure you can't get class base features until you have more HD than the base class would have needed, or you'll make base classes feel bad about themselves.

Malapterus
2017-10-01, 12:16 PM
Make sure you can't get class base features until you have more HD than the base class would have needed, or you'll make base classes feel bad about themselves.

Yeah, I was thinking you'd need to be at least at the character level matching the class level. Making it +1 might be iffy though as the feats might not be gained at cooperative times

Goaty14
2017-10-01, 05:16 PM
I would allow it in this case, but only because (I think) duelist is feat-starved and barbarian is a pretty bad tier.