PDA

View Full Version : OK, so, I start school tomorrow...

blackout
2007-08-14, 06:22 PM
:smalleek: I'M COMPLETELY UNPREPARED! I'm off my sleep schedule, and I'm practically guaranteed to wake up hours later than I'm supposed to, I'm freakin' doomed, man! GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER! :eek:

....Ok, freakouts aside, I'm starting 8th grade this year. Got held back last year, not happy, don't discuss it. :smallannoyed:

But, really, I'm completely unprepared, and everyone's acting like it's no big deal. I mess this up, I'm screwed. No computer, no video games, no books, NOTHING, for years to come. :smalleek:

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-14, 06:25 PM
Uh. Anyone in the house who could be persuaded to awaken you with a bucket of water, should you oversleep?

Also: Never leave your alarm within arm's reach of your bed. Put it on your desk, or something.

Begin working on that sleep schedule right away. Go to bed early, instead of hanging around the forums or whatever until past midnight.

Calamity
2007-08-14, 06:27 PM
Man, i feel so sorry for you. I learnt in one of my maths lessons that school = hell. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

Good luck though in 8th grade, even though my knowledge of the American schooling system is laughable.

I will not torture you by telling you how much longer my school holidays last for, because I'm not evil..... yet

blackout
2007-08-14, 06:28 PM
:smallannoyed: Gee, thanks Calamity.

And no. My parents are very adamant about letting me deal with problems on my own. I swear, if I weren't their kid, they'd have kicked me onto the streets a long time ago.

Good plan with the alarm, I'll remember that.

Mountain_Faerie
2007-08-14, 06:28 PM
See if someone can double check and make sure you woke up. Also, do you have a ride to school? Line that up tonight.
You can do this. It sounds like it is really important to you, so just focus on getting through the 8th grade.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 06:29 PM
Don't worry man eighth grade is easy, plus you'll get cool points with people for a having a girlfriend a year above you (:smalltongue: )

Just kidding, but seriously, here's how you get back on your sleep schedule. First pull an all nighter, the next day instead of napping stay awake untill about ten, then go to sleep, and set your alarm clock to when you need to be up. Then you should be back on your chedule weather you go to sleep at 10, 11, 12 whatever.

blackout
2007-08-14, 06:35 PM
Zeratul: Thanks for that, I'll do that. :smallsmile:

Mountain_Fairie: Yeah, I got a ride. I'll be taking the bus. :smallannoyed: And, yes, it is important to me. Not because I want to excell(who WANTS to do that?! It's too much pressure. :smalleek: ), but because I just want to have a shot at a half-decent life when this is over and done with. :smallannoyed:

zeratul
2007-08-14, 06:40 PM
Oh and just because I feel like rubbing it in your face, no school for me for about 25 days:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: .

I don't know about school in different areas of our country. I mean I live in NYS which is supposed to be the second hardest school system in the country, so as long as your not from here or California it shouldn't be too bad.

blackout
2007-08-14, 06:44 PM
I'm in the best school in southern Louisiana. :smallfrown: There's gonna be alot of pressure from teachers, and my parents, and then there's the constant bugging from my little siblings. I swear, this place is all that's keeping me sane. :smallsmile: So, I guess you could consider this particular post an official thank you.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 06:46 PM
ok heres how to deal with american public school... wirecutters, and something to jam the lock on your way in before they close the gates so you can get a REAL lunch. you have no idea how much that helps, if you have the cash. and remember IT DOESNT MATTER dont take anything there to seriously. and when you get to high school dont let the cops or drug dogs bother you, unless of course the drug dogs find you, but if that happens then its your own damn fault for smoking pot at school.

EDIT: ya, i suppose a footstool would work just as well, but its not as dramatic... or reliable

blackout
2007-08-14, 06:47 PM
:smallconfused: Wow. That sounds...a bit drastic.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 06:48 PM
...they lock the gate at American schools? That's crazy!

blackout
2007-08-14, 06:49 PM
:smallannoyed: Not only that, but they have barbed wire fences. The places are madhouses.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-14, 06:49 PM
Oooh...my 8th grade starts in two weeks...

Why is the Jaws theme playing in my head? :smalleek:

zeratul
2007-08-14, 06:50 PM
...they lock the gate at American schools? That's crazy!

They're yanking your chain Herman. They don't, at least not here. Although they do take people away in cuffs for fighting.

blackout
2007-08-14, 06:52 PM
:smallannoyed: You have good reason to fear, Vespe.

Slash_712
2007-08-14, 06:53 PM
OKay, I will give this one a shot. Hows about you sign up for a sport like say, football and then right before school starts you can have a week aof two-a-days starting at 7:30 and go till about 1:45 or so. yeah after that week, you should be used to it. How do I know? I am doing that right now and it hurts.

Eldpollard
2007-08-14, 06:55 PM
8th grade, would that make you 14? My knowledge of the American school system isn't. Well, good luck and work on the sleep thing, the forums probably aren't the best thing for this.

And GitP is keeping you SANE? I hate to think of the comparison.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 06:56 PM
ya, mine was one of the last in the district to get a wall... its to keep us safe... from quadrapolegic terrorists and paralyzed drug dealers... even though most of the illegal substances come in through the front gate, and they JUST added the barbed wire over summer... its fun... and noone realizes that it doesnt actually keep anyone on either side of the wall, its just a massive insult to the students and noone i bothering to speak up about it, i personally think its a brainwashing tool, but then again, im known to be mildly paranoid(and being occasionally proven right does NOT help)

SurlySeraph
2007-08-14, 06:56 PM
It's moments like this that I give thanks that I go to a private school. It makes everything easier; there aren't as many lunatics, homicidal nuts, and druggies (and the ones that there are are generally better-managed). And they give us some freedom. And even though our work is generally harder, we don't have the thousands of standardized tests.

I'd like to contradict tannish2 here. Work your ass off. You may have no life, but it's how you get ahead, and it's how you get into college. You can have a healthy social life later. My advice: just work hard and do work in advance in every class. Don't get lazy. And when the damn standardized tests are coming up, get a book for them (if you can) and study for them.

Teachers always go easy the first few days to let everyone adjust, even as late as 8th grade (though expect homework on your first day). Get in a normal sleep pattern as fast as you can - if you stay up late to work every night, you'll just end up spending more time doing less work because you'll always be too tired to work hard.

And remember that it could be worse. Some schools in Florida start in July!

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-14, 06:57 PM
Personally, I'm 13. Going to turn 14 in February.

And strangely, my school doesn't have walls or fences or any such things.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 07:00 PM
I just checked your profile to see what 8th grade is, and you're all much younger than I expected. blackout, zeratul, and Vespe... all 13 or 14 years old? From the quality of your posts, I would have expected you three to be older.

edit: Also, listen to SurlySeraph. SurlySeraph is wise.

blackout
2007-08-14, 07:03 PM
And GitP is keeping you SANE? I hate to think of the comparison.

This is not an exaggeration. This is FACT. Every day and night I go through the same routine: Take out the trash, do the dishes, walk the dog, suffer a barrage of insults from my younger siblings that hit so close to home it's not even funny, and then suffer the same barrage of insults from my parents. Following that? GitP. Trust me. It's not an exaggeration. :smallannoyed:

RationalGoblin
2007-08-14, 07:08 PM
I'm going to a private school and I'm starting the 1st of September, so I can't really know how you feel. But of course, it's going to be very interesting at my school, oh yes. To quote the F4 movie's version of Doctor Doom: "This... Is gonna be fun!"

Seriously, I'm starting 8th grade also, so I know how you feel. A little bit. You'll have time for video games and the computer and books when you come home from school. Don't worry about homework. 'Cause, hey, if you post here, I'd say your the equivilant of MENSA. :smalltongue:

Eldpollard
2007-08-14, 07:08 PM
I see, GitP is a loving safe haven, and is about as far from routine as it's possible to be.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-14, 07:10 PM
Everyone's calling me smart. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and blackout, may I just say that The Beatles songs do wonders for relieving stress?

blackout
2007-08-14, 07:11 PM
You may. Of course, beating the crap out of random people on the streets and then leaving them for dead would do wonders as well. It's not so much the routines that get to me, it's the fact that they can do anything they want to me, and I can't retaliate in any way, shape or form. :smallannoyed: But, back on topic, I'll tell you my sob stories later.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 07:12 PM
in private school its different, most of the teachers are good, so the classes are fun, unfortunately in public schools they WANT bad teachers, the ones who will teach to the test, and they actually like hiring easily suggestable teachers, the type who dont like to say "NO" to their bosses, really pisses me off because they want to not really teach us everything, jsut teach us to the tests, which means a very narrow range of information, and they have to refresh the teachers every couple years, so taht they dont learn how to actually teach. and start teaching people things that are actually useful instead of how to take and/or break a test.

and in public school its not good to get noticed, and it has NO advantages until HS, and more work thats more difficult, get C's, with the occasional B, if you get a D get an A until HS THEN things START to matter for college, standardized tests dont really matter, take a book, and remember to read for fun on occasion. if you forget you forget that theres a such thing as a good book.

blackout
2007-08-14, 07:23 PM
Alright, I'll keep all that in mind, thanks.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 07:24 PM
The problem is that if you start aiming for B's or C's, you will have a hard time getting A's later on. In fact, you'll have a hard time getting B's or C's later on.

blackout
2007-08-14, 07:24 PM
I'll keep that in mind as well. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Lucky
2007-08-14, 07:26 PM
The problem is that if you start aiming for B's or C's, you will have a hard time getting A's later on. In fact, you'll have a hard time getting B's or C's later on.
QFT.

I don't know how much grades matter in grade 8 down in the States, but even if they don't, good habits are best developed early. I'm headed into grade 12 this year, so I know first hand just how important developing good habits is.

blackout
2007-08-14, 07:28 PM
Ok, then, thanks Lucky. Still, the worst part about all this is that if the stress gets to be too much, I dunno what I'll do. At this point, it's all up in the air, but I have seriously contemplated going to my aunt and getting my book published early so I don't even have to worry about school anymore. :smallannoyed:

zeratul
2007-08-14, 07:33 PM
Vespe : I'm older than you? This does not seem to add up

Blackout : Keeps me sane too

tannish2 : Barbed wire?? Where do you guys go to school. Maybe the NYS Superintendent just doesn't feel like springing for the cash.

Vespe Ratavo
Ok, then, thanks Lucky. Still, the worst part about all this is that if the stress gets to be too much, I dunno what I'll do. At this point, it's all up in the air, but I have seriously contemplated going to my aunt and getting my book published early so I don't even have to worry about school anymore. :smallannoyed:

You has written book? Publish it. :smalltongue:

Personally, I've written two books, but there are a few problems with them.

1: Neither is complete in any sense of the word.
2: The first is a totally random thing and the plot is basically whatever was going through my head that day and it makes no sense whatsoever.
3: The second is chock full of Mary Sues, cliches, and laughably bad plots.

Lucky
Ok, then, thanks Lucky. Still, the worst part about all this is that if the stress gets to be too much, I dunno what I'll do. At this point, it's all up in the air, but I have seriously contemplated going to my aunt and getting my book published early so I don't even have to worry about school anymore. :smallannoyed:Never a good idea.

If the stress gets to be too much, just keep in mind that a couple late projects here and there are much better than what would happen if you didn't apply yourself at all. If the stress does build up, sometimes it's best to throw in the towel on a night and just have some time to put yourself back together. Obviously I would not recommend doing it for large projects, but if you miss a couple small, one night things, it will not be the end of the world.

blackout
2007-08-14, 07:42 PM
Vespe: Yes, I have written a book....well, I'm writing one. Look in the IC thread of the play-by-post forum. DustWorld. :smallbiggrin:

Lucky: What do you mean 'not a good idea?' :smallconfused:

zeratul
2007-08-14, 07:44 PM
Vespe: Yes, I have written a book....well, I'm writing one. Look in the IC thread of the play-by-post forum. DustWorld. :smallbiggrin:

Lucky: What do you mean 'not a good idea?' :smallconfused:

What if the book doesn't sell?

Without a college education it's hard to make any serious mula, so you want to apply yourself now so that later on things will be more pleasent.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 07:45 PM
Lucky: What do you mean 'not a good idea?' :smallconfused:I don't mean to insult your writing skills, as I have never read any works by you, but relying on the success of a single book to "not have to worry about school anymore" is never a good idea.

blackout
2007-08-14, 07:46 PM
:smalleek: Oh, crap.

But, really, thanks, Zeratul, you've officially made me afraid of failing in my only real career choice. I'm hopeless at math, and anything else that requires numbers. :smallannoyed: My book doesn't sell = me on the streets.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 07:47 PM
:smalleek: Oh, crap.

But, really, thanks, Zeratul, you've officially made me afraid of failing in my only real career choice. I'm hopeless at math, and anything else that requires numbers. :smallannoyed: My book doesn't sell = me on the streets.

Uh dude, you don't need math skills to succeed. Writing is a good career, but why not try getting an english degree or something?

Khaldan
2007-08-14, 07:51 PM
LIAR!

Honestly, there is NO way you'll be on the streets. Honestly. I've read some of the stuff you've written (ok, only the posts in the town, although i may look at dustworld) and you seem to be a good writer. And if you ever need help on math homework, I'm willing to help out on that, i just did that level of math for the 5th freaking time..(moving to different schools sucks. seriously sucks.)

zeratul
2007-08-14, 07:53 PM
I'm not saying you should try to be a mathamatician. But you should make it so you have something you can fall back on. If you like interesting, you could (as I said) consider an english degree.

blackout
2007-08-14, 07:55 PM
Khaldan: Thank you for the vote of confidence, that's seriously something I need at this point. :smallfrown:

Zeratul: :smallconfused: Point. I mean, I've already decided, english is all I'm really going to bother at succeeding in when I'm in high school. The only problem is that I can't write in cursive for crap, and my knowledge of big, fancy words, and essays, and etc. = :P

So, yeah. You can clearly see the problem here. Writing is all I want to do. I admit, a well-rounded education is important, but I want to write, and that's what I'm going to do, but if the book doesn't sell, then I'll end up at a McDonalds, and chances are I'll end up getting fired from that job because I can't carry the freakin' one! :smallmad:

....sorry. /rant

Lucky: See above rant. :smallfrown:

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 07:57 PM
I'm with zeratul on this one. It is indeed a good idea to have a degree to fall back on. I, too, would love to become a writer, but I'm not going to risk my future on those ambitions.

The only problem is that I can't write in cursive for crap, and my knowledge of big, fancy words, and essays, and etc. = :P

But isn't that what an education is for? To teach you those things?

Pyro
2007-08-14, 07:58 PM
I already started the eighth grade two days ago. The teachers here are pretty nice, but I already got some annoying busy work from science. Busy work....ugh. Sorry about having to do a grade over again. That really sucks.

On math as a skill, I think its pretty pretty important, but I'm biased since I'm pretty awesome at math. But writing is an important too, and you can easily do that as a career.

Anyway I feel sorta old now. I'm months older than some of you people...

zeratul
2007-08-14, 08:00 PM
Gah math. After the eighth grade all of the stuff is only useful if you want a degree in it or something. I wis hit was optional, then again i'm biased against it. I suck at math, and had a consecutive 100% average in english.

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 08:03 PM
Writing is all I want to do. I admit, a well-rounded education is important, but I want to write, and that's what I'm going to do, but if the book doesn't sell, then I'll end up at a McDonalds, and chances are I'll end up getting fired from that job because I can't carry the freakin' one! :smallmad:

I'm not big on being a killer of young people's self esteems, but let me be perfectly blunt: no book you write at this moment in your life is going to sell. You won't even find a publisher. Companies are afraid to take risks on better writers than you (or I. I should be fair). Which is not to say you have no talent; I have no basis for saying that one way or the other. But at your age, you've always got a lot that can be improved.

I'll go one step father - your goal at this point in time should be surviving school. Yes, surviving. Push for good grades, but don't worry too much if you don't get them (passing is important, though). What you need to do is aim for college. Pay special attention to all of your English courses from here to the end of your education - they will help your writing tremendously, and then you have a chance of writing a book that can sell. You'll also (more importantly) be able to find a stable job that can put your writing skills to work.

Because, and this is the most important part - books do not provide a livable income. The odds are completely stacked against you writing a multi-million dollar bestseller. It just doesn't happen, and you're going to hurt yourself if you bank on it.

Pyro
2007-08-14, 08:04 PM
Actually where I live, some of the geometry I learned was completely useless. Cross-sections for example. Some of that stuff is still burned into my brain. And then there was the relationship between similar figures area and scale factor. And don't forget translations...

Crispy Dave
2007-08-14, 08:06 PM
ya wwell i got school soon but dont tell me you got it bad I got 3 mounths of juvi for axcidently hitting a teacher with a door (not my fault she was standing behind it when i burst it open screaming i hate you beep-beep-beeping-beeper)

o sorry and im going into freshman year this year and i practicly failed all 3 years of middle scholl and moveed partway threw last year and origon schools are alot easyer then california

Khaldan
2007-08-14, 08:06 PM
Y'know, i seem to be the exact opposite of you people. I hate English (yet love reading :smallconfused:) and am obsessed with math and science. It's at the point where I've had a recommendation to go take some of the lower level college courses. If ya ever want to talk about how much school sucks, PM me and ill give you an e-mail/IM adress. I've done that rant more times than i can count :smallwink:

zeratul
2007-08-14, 08:09 PM
Y'know, i seem to be the exact opposite of you people. I hate English (yet love reading :smallconfused:) and am obsessed with math and science. It's at the point where I've had a recommendation to go take some of the lower level college courses. If ya ever want to talk about how much school sucks, PM me and ill give you an e-mail/IM adress. I've done that rant more times than i can count :smallwink:

heh On the state test for History three grades ahead of mine i got a 94 out of 100, so we do seem exact opposites. My passions are History, and English. However Science does interest me.........

Slash_712
2007-08-14, 08:10 PM
Yeah school is always gonna be a pain. I think that people are supposed to be insane during school because I can't imagine going through a year sane. I find that it helps to find people who are able to make you laugh and hang out with them as much as possible during the year. Another thing that helps to get me through a school week is when I know I have something to do over the weekend and I look forward to that all week. Only problem is if it is a letdown, it stinks completely, but it works for me.

Khaldan
2007-08-14, 08:11 PM
Actually, I'm not too bad on history. Top 0.001% in 3 states is better than most from what i hear. :smallwink:

Crispy Dave
2007-08-14, 08:14 PM
well im great at math and science but suck at spelling reading and anything english (yes and typing)

blackout
2007-08-14, 08:19 PM
But isn't that what an education is for? To teach you those things?

:smallannoyed: No, it's not. An education is for burning a mixture of useless and useful stuff into your brain that your never going to use. Sure, how to spell correctly, and using correct punctuation, yeah. That's neccessary. Figuring out that one street is parrellel to another? No, not neccessary, and they teach it anyways.

Yeah school is always gonna be a pain. I think that people are supposed to be insane during school because I can't imagine going through a year sane. I find that it helps to find people who are able to make you laugh and hang out with them as much as possible during the year. Another thing that helps to get me through a school week is when I know I have something to do over the weekend and I look forward to that all week. Only problem is if it is a letdown, it stinks completely, but it works for me.

Ding. We have a winner.

I'm not big on being a killer of young people's self esteems, but let me be perfectly blunt: no book you write at this moment in your life is going to sell. You won't even find a publisher. Companies are afraid to take risks on better writers than you (or I. I should be fair). Which is not to say you have no talent; I have no basis for saying that one way or the other. But at your age, you've always got a lot that can be improved.

I'll go one step father - your goal at this point in time should be surviving school. Yes, surviving. Push for good grades, but don't worry too much if you don't get them (passing is important, though). What you need to do is aim for college. Pay special attention to all of your English courses from here to the end of your education - they will help your writing tremendously, and then you have a chance of writing a book that can sell. You'll also (more importantly) be able to find a stable job that can put your writing skills to work.

Because, and this is the most important part - books do not provide a livable income. The odds are completely stacked against you writing a multi-million dollar bestseller. It just doesn't happen, and you're going to hurt yourself if you bank on it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'll be sure to keep you in mind when I'm finishing it up. :smallannoyed:

Actually where I live, some of the geometry I learned was completely useless. Cross-sections for example. Some of that stuff is still burned into my brain. And then there was the relationship between similar figures area and scale factor. And don't forget translations...

Thank you!

heh On the state test for History three grades ahead of mine i got a 94 out of 100, so we do seem exact opposites. My passions are History, and English. However Science does interest me.........

Good for you, go make some lasers. :smalltongue:

Pyro
2007-08-14, 08:20 PM
I'm different from everyone here. I love all subjects. Math is pretty awesome. Its so logical and almost..fun. Science is my favorite subject. I am obsessed with understanding everything in nature, but still fun. I love reading and lit. 'cuz it's reading. Who doesn't love it? Grammer can also be interesting. For some reason I like diagramming sentences. Odd? I know. Finally I'm taking Spanish this year, and it's pretty cool. Hands down, knowing a foreign language is awesome.

I'm not a geek, just an a obsessive learner. The only thing I hate about school is busy work. Even the busy work that's disguised as a "useful project" or something that "make class interesting". Busy work is the bane of my existence.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 08:24 PM
I don't know why but this thread made me think So you want to be a "rock and roll star" By the byrds.

blackout
2007-08-14, 08:27 PM
Dangit, Zeratul, now that song is stuck in my head. :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 08:28 PM
I'm different from everyone here. I love all subjects. Math is pretty awesome. Its so logical and almost..fun. Science is my favorite subject. I am obsessed with understanding everything in nature, but still fun. I love reading and lit. 'cuz it's reading. Who doesn't love it? Grammer can also be interesting. For some reason I like diagramming sentences. Odd? I know. Finally I'm taking Spanish this year, and it's pretty cool. Hands down, knowing a foreign language is awesome.

I'm not a geek, just an a obsessive learner. The only thing I hate about school is busy work. Even the busy work that's disguised as a "useful project" or something that "make class interesting". Busy work is the bane of my existence.

You remind me of me. Except, of course, that I am most definitely a geek.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'll be sure to keep you in mind when I'm finishing it up. :smallannoyed:
Look, you can fish for votes of confidence all you want, but PhoeKun just gave you quality advice, and you responded with an annoyed smiley. You can go on believing what you want, but the plain truth is that he's right, and whether you accept it not, it's not our lives it's affecting. We're not giving you this advice because it makes up better people or we get a real kick out of it. We're doing it to help you. He just took time out of his day to make you realize the honest truth. The truth is school is going to be important whether you like it or not.

Besides, annoyed smiley faces won't make him go away, try exploding weasels. :smalltongue:

Khaldan
2007-08-14, 08:30 PM
By posting here, you are now a geek. Resistance is futile.

Arameus
2007-08-14, 08:32 PM
You seem to be looking for mere sympathy and shunning actual advice. Abandon this practice.

blackout
2007-08-14, 08:32 PM
Ah, weasles. :smallbiggrin: The universal chuckle-generator.

And, I admit, he has a point, but I'm not fishing for votes of confidence, I'm not fishing for pity, I'm not having delusions of grandeur, but writing is all I'm cut out for, and if I can't succeed at that, I'm dead in the water.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 08:35 PM
...but writing is all I'm cut out for, and if I can't succeed at that, I'm dead in the water.No one has said you couldn't, but you must give it time. No publisher will take a chance on someone who flopped out before he made it to high school. You need to understand the value of education, and that success in writing will not appear overnight on your first attempt.

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 08:36 PM
Ah, weasles. :smallbiggrin: The universal chuckle-generator.

And, I admit, he has a point, but I'm not fishing for votes of confidence, I'm not fishing for pity, I'm not having delusions of grandeur, but writing is all I'm cut out for, and if I can't succeed at that, I'm dead in the water.

Then you need to listen to me. I'm really not trying to get you to give up on writing. I want you to understand that your writing and your chances to make a living on it will improve a thousandfold or greater if your pursue an education.

Don't write so that you don't have to learn. Learn so that you can write.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 08:38 PM
If you ask me, you should go for a degree that improves your writing. That will both help you become a writer, and give you something to fall back on. English would be the logical choice, but it's not the only one. You could also look into History, for example.

blackout
2007-08-14, 08:38 PM
Wise words from both of you. Thanks. :smallsmile:

And history, while a possible backup plan, is not something I would actually enjoy. I'll keep it in mind. :smallconfused:

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 08:39 PM
Teachers in public schools are not bad teachers because they teach to the test. They get fired if they don't teach to the test. 8th grade was probably the most fun I've ever had at school, which isn't saying much. From what it seems, you like to write. If being an author doesn't work out, what about being a journalist or book reviewer? I know there's plenty of jobs for journalists out there. Find something you like and have fun with it.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 08:41 PM
If you're sure you won't enjoy it, don't do it. Your basic education is something you have to do even if you don't enjoy it, but in college, you should definitely go for an education you actually like.

Trust me, I've wasted two years of my life on an education that seemed very useful, but wasn't any fun.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 08:42 PM
Teachers in public schools are not bad teachers because they teach to the test. They get fired if they don't teach to the test. 8th grade was probably the most fun I've ever had at school, which isn't saying much. From what it seems, you like to write. If being an author doesn't work out, what about being a journalist or book reviewer? I know there's plenty of jobs for journalists out there. Find something you like and have fun with it.Or, for irony purposes, an 8th grade English teacher!

blackout
2007-08-14, 08:45 PM
Wise words from gaelbert, and Lord Herman. Lucky, very funny. :smalltongue:

Khaldan
2007-08-14, 08:47 PM
Oh come on, i did an OBVIOUS borg reference and didn't get a response. Either you people aren't geeky at all, or i need to begin the assimilation.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 08:50 PM
Weren't the Borg driven off these boards, like, ages ago?

blackout
2007-08-14, 08:51 PM
Khaldan, you just got served. :smalltongue:

Sewer_Bandito
2007-08-14, 08:52 PM
It's moments like this that I give thanks that I go to a private school. It makes everything easier; there aren't as many lunatics, homicidal nuts, and druggies (and the ones that there are are generally better-managed).

But without these things where's the excitement at school? What would you do for entertainment?! Something crazy like Learn?!

blackout
2007-08-14, 08:54 PM
:smallconfused: Well, school's not supposed to be fun. It's like a twisted version of Paranoia.

"No fun is permitted. The teachers are your friends."

Pyro
2007-08-14, 08:56 PM
School can be fun if you want! A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down, Helps the medicine go dooown. Wait...

blackout
2007-08-14, 09:01 PM
Well, I'm going to bed. Tomorrow, I dine in hell. :smallfrown: Seeya, guys.

de-trick
2007-08-14, 09:03 PM
Its nice living in a small city, and being in a highschool with a lot of low achivers for me, but then again im in autobody and all the fun or working with my hands, no pun intended. But a small piece of advice with your family take a stand if there younger just give them a little smack in the head, not the nicest thing but who cares.

I know schools coming, I'm worried more about school stuff like binders $14 for a good binder

good luck

ForzaFiori
2007-08-14, 09:10 PM
OKay, I will give this one a shot. Hows about you sign up for a sport like say, football and then right before school starts you can have a week aof two-a-days starting at 7:30 and go till about 1:45 or so. yeah after that week, you should be used to it. How do I know? I am doing that right now and it hurts.

wait, only 1 week?
your school is easy.
at my school, the fall sports start conditioning before the last year ends, and practices the first week of summer. Winter starts condioning in the middle of the fall season, and practices a week after the end of the season. Spring is like winter.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 09:23 PM
1. busywork SUCKS, and middle school is packed with this, at least in CA
2. EDUCATION doesnt matter in soceity, but it makes your life better, its the shiny peices of paper that matter in soceity. and middle school doesnt get you one, high school however does.
3. ITS JUST MIDDLE SCHOOL, dont take it too seriously, people who take things too seriously get stressed out more, die sooner, and generally have less fun, which is really what life should be about.

Vaynor
2007-08-14, 09:23 PM
Oh and just because I feel like rubbing it in your face, no school for me for about 25 days:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: .

I don't know about school in different areas of our country. I mean I live in NYS which is supposed to be the second hardest school system in the country, so as long as your not from here or California it shouldn't be too bad.

Stupid Cali school systems...

But yah, I'm going to start 10th grade in a bit (like 15 days or so), and our vacation (starting on Thursday) will go until two days before school starts. :smallannoyed:

I am also missing registration and will have to get my ID photo taken, get my textbooks, but a new lock or two (I may or may not have lost them both...), new PE clothes (they're not lost, just not found IMO) all in the morning before the first day of school and during break. I also have to use this time to find my classes. :smallfrown:

Also need new clothes, new school supplies, and less than 4 days to do this. Oh, and I have to move into my newly built room in this time. : /

Good luck though. :smallsmile:

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 11:36 PM
I live in California and I'm off until September 4. But that's only because they found deadly mold, termite damage, and dry rot at my school, meaning we have to rebuild most of the buildings. Normally I'd start school July 27.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 11:36 PM
Stupid Cali school systems...

But yah, I'm going to start 10th grade in a bit (like 15 days or so), and our vacation (starting on Thursday) will go until two days before school starts. :smallannoyed:

I am also missing registration and will have to get my ID photo taken, get my textbooks, but a new lock or two (I may or may not have lost them both...), new PE clothes (they're not lost, just not found IMO) all in the morning before the first day of school and during break. I also have to use this time to find my classes. :smallfrown:

Also need new clothes, new school supplies, and less than 4 days to do this. Oh, and I have to move into my newly built room in this time. : /

Good luck though. :smallsmile:

I'm from New York actually, second best in the country, not best.

Vhaidara
2007-08-14, 11:40 PM
:smalleek: I'M COMPLETELY UNPREPARED! I'm off my sleep schedule, and I'm practically guaranteed to wake up hours later than I'm supposed to, I'm freakin' doomed, man! GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER! :eek:

....Ok, freakouts aside, I'm starting 8th grade this year. Got held back last year, not happy, don't discuss it. :smallannoyed:

But, really, I'm completely unprepared, and everyone's acting like it's no big deal. I mess this up, I'm screwed. No computer, no video games, no books, NOTHING, for years to come. :smalleek:

OMG. I'm going through the same thing. Basicly, get an alarm clock that sounds like a claxon. they do exist. Go to bed early. Pull your Town characters out of plots. Put Dustworld on hiatus. Wear clean underwear. Okay, I'm running out of words of wisdom. ignore that last one. Well, don't, but...

de-trick
2007-08-15, 12:28 AM
so i think i took all my school work and threw it out for D&D stuff, sad 99.9% of my time is devoted to D&D
it's sad really

worse i took pre-cal

Mongo 900 B.C
2007-08-15, 12:41 AM
School is like a prison for the underaged and creative:smallannoyed: no way out

Vaynor
2007-08-15, 01:55 AM
School is like a prison for the underaged and creative:smallannoyed: no way out

Solution: skip all of you classes and be creative.

Problem: most police don't see vandalism/smoking pot as creative, and parents don't generally approve the missed school time.

So that's generally a downtrodden way out.

Oh wait, most of the kids in my school do that anyways... :smallfrown:

Artemician
2007-08-15, 03:50 AM
Nah.. don't sweat it, really.

Starting school isn't actually what it's cranked up to be, you get MUCH, MUCH worse right in the middle of the school year, when they start piling you on with Projects after Performance Tasks after More Worksheets, all while you have Exams.

I know this because I am currently in the middle of my school year (which starts in January, where I'm from). In the last two weeks, I have had to do:

1 5-page Performance Task on Microclimatic studies in my school building
1 1500-word report on two prominent personalities in my country
2 compositions.
Numerous quizzes, cloze passages, character analyses, etc. In two languages

And the kicker? Finishing up a 87 page report (although, I admit, it was in a group of 4). Which we now have to prepare for Oral Defence.

All this while having exams.

For obvious reasons, this completely destroyed my sleep cycle. Don't sweat it about school, just make sure you don't procrastinate your projects so you don't end up in such a fix like me.

Calamity
2007-08-15, 04:28 AM
I live in California and I'm off until September 4. But that's only because they found deadly mold, termite damage, and dry rot at my school, meaning we have to rebuild most of the buildings. Normally I'd start school July 27.

September 4 is nearly always the date the new school year starts in Britain.

Raiser Blade
2007-08-15, 04:34 AM
I feel your pain

school can be tough for me cause i have absolutely noooo self-discipline

and i am (teh k1ng) of procrastinators

so i goof around(post in forums) until the last second
and to top it off i am horribly unorganized (my room is a disaster area)

and some how i still do okay b's and b's but my mom gets mad beause she demands a's:smallsigh:

Castaras
2007-08-15, 04:38 AM
G'luck with this year Blackout. And you have a younger sibling? Get them to scream at you each morning to wake up, if your parents won't help. :smalltongue:

Yeah...I'll be starting GCSEs in September...Eep. :smalleek:

Should be more fun though...managed to drop nearly all the subjects I hate, which is good.

blackout
2007-08-15, 04:38 AM
Well, I head out in about two hours. Any last minute tidbits of advice or good luck wishes? Because, if you've got them, now would be your chance to toss them out there. Thanks, all of you. :smallsmile:

Lord Herman
2007-08-15, 04:39 AM
Advice: Don't panic.

Good luck wishes: Good luck.

Castaras
2007-08-15, 04:42 AM
Advice: Don't panic.

http://www.badastronomy.com/pix/bablog/2006/DontPanic.jpg

QFT.

It's just school. Get through it in one piece, and it'll be done and dusted.

blackout
2007-08-15, 04:43 AM
Here's hoping I can at least carry the one this time. :smallannoyed: Not a happy memory, that one.

Dispozition
2007-08-15, 05:25 AM
Hmmm...School...Technically I'm getting off in 4 weeks...I'm not actually getting a holiday until the end of the school year though...Which is more than 3 months away...

Anyway, if year 8 in america is anything like year 8 over here, it's a pisser...These days I look back at year 7 and 8 and just laugh at how easy it was...I'm sure I'll be doing that with year 9 and 10 when I'm in year 12...or even just next year in year 11...

Anyway, good luck and all...Hope you don't die or anything...

de-trick
2007-08-15, 12:21 PM
take a stand since your a year old make the young kids know it