PDA

View Full Version : Build a Serial Killer

Chester
2017-10-01, 06:58 PM
You know, typing out that title feels really kind of weird.

Long story short... Level 3 Party of Five is currently solving a murder mystery. After winging it a bit with them, the idea of a serial killer sort of emerged. I'm looking for a build idea that would fit the flavor of that type of criminal and would challenge a level 3 Party of five.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The villain is human.

Elricaltovilla
2017-10-01, 07:01 PM
Literally any class could work. Nobody has a monopoly on murder. What system are you using? What books are allowed?

Chester
2017-10-01, 07:09 PM
Literally any class could work. Nobody has a monopoly on murder. What system are you using? What books are allowed?

You are absolutely right.

Generally everything is allowed. 3.5. Except for some reason, our group banned Warblades and Crusaders and the like.

The villain is the son of a local Magistrate. He has framed one of the members of our party. So, I'm looking for something that would fit the flavor of a privileged youth who can easily go unseen. (Rogue is obvious.)

John Longarrow
2017-10-01, 09:04 PM
Bard works perfectly. Disguise, Bluff, Diplomacy, and spells that enhance all. Alter self is a 2nd for them as well.

Most serial killers operate by getting their victims to cooperate, at least initially. Diplomacy and Bluff work very well to reflect this.

Avigor
2017-10-01, 10:47 PM
Another question: you said that they are already investigating a murder? What do they know about how was the victim killed? A wizard would probably be a poor choice for an axe murderer after all, and a rogue less than optimal for someone who kills via necromantic death effect.

Thurbane
2017-10-01, 11:06 PM
I like factotum for this...he has literally any skill required, and some SLAs to back up his dirty work.

Focus on stealth, Iaijutsu Focus (a quick knife from behind), social skills etc.

Gruftzwerg
2017-10-02, 12:15 AM
how about a vampire? imho they are good for investigation quests.

edit: he could burn the remains of the victim (maybe incl. his house) to cover the fact that their blood has been drained. or just bury em.^^

Eldariel
2017-10-02, 12:27 AM
As said, to make it consistent with what they know thus far and the kinds of victims there are, information they have is of paramount importance to us. But yes, a skilled character and particularly a spellcaster with some neurotic tendencies would be my choice. They're killing out of habit and they're likely very good at it and catching their target unawares and leaving minimal traces; to all that, magic seems like the answer. Note, yeah, shapeshifter type monsters like Doppelgangers, Fiends with Alter Self at will (e.g. Succubi) and company are also great. Indeed, something like a Succubus would be quite perfect as their abilities shine in intrigue.

DrKerosene
2017-10-02, 12:30 AM
Urban Ranger 1-5 / Thief Acrobat 1-5? Ranger gives Favored Enemy, and maybe Swift Hunter build stuff. Thief Acrobat is just an alternative suggestion to the obvious choice of Assassin. A level of Ranger instead of a 5th level of Rogue or Scout isn't the worst.

I would think an Aristocrat or Expert NPC Class might be a good substitute for a PC Base Class. Using a weaker NPC might allow you to add an extra level or two of a PrC if you have any favorites.

Alternatively, an Urban Druid of level 5 or higher could pretend to be an object.

AlmaPenzare
2017-10-02, 12:43 AM
In my game I threw in a strangler brawler with steel serpent maneuvers who would climb into peoples beds and strangle them to death while drooling into their mouth. His name was Mr. Hands. One of the PC's woke up to find this guy on his bed strangling his girlfriend

noce
2017-10-02, 04:11 AM
Favored soul of an evil deity of pain, trickery and murder.
Cyric is a perfect fit, if you use FR pantheon.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-10-02, 04:45 AM
What are the particulars of the murders that have happened so far?

The Insanity
2017-10-02, 07:45 AM
Serial Killer Vigilante?
Or maybe Assassin.

Astralia123
2017-10-02, 09:35 AM
Maybe just aristocrat. You know, murderers don't have to be good in battle, nor good in any professional skills.

This specific NPC can be a good lesson. He could use his social status and maybe natural charm, cold-blooded lies and manipulations to get his goal achieved.
Maybe he makes use of women who fall in love with him. Or maybe he manipulates survivors and/or some revengeous relatives of his victims. It doesn't have to involve any magic or fantastic skill bonuses (although he might need to be at decent level in social skills like diplomacy, bluff, intimation and sense motive, and maybe gather info.).

Considering the nature of the game (PCs are at lower levels), the murderer himself could make do with builds like aristocrat/rogue or bard/rogue of 3 to 5 level, with one or two NPCs that's could be hired or manipulated against the PCs, thus making the final battle consist the killer himself and some other NPCs. It could be challenging without bringing in OP builds, because the helper of the murderer might be someone PCs won't wants to kill (a victim's father, local police, and so on).

Telonius
2017-10-02, 10:12 AM
If the investigating authorities have access to "Speak with Dead" (and they ought to) that puts some constraints on how the killer would be able to carry out the deed. Being ID'd by the corpse would be something a smart serial killer in a D&D world would need to take into account. Most importantly, it means that he'd have to kill the victims in a way that they wouldn't be able to get a good look at him (either because of a disguise or just plain not seeing them), or failed a Will save against some illusion that made the killer look different than they actually are.

The players can't actually cast Speak with Dead yet (only 3rd level, and it's a Cleric 3 spell) but somebody in town would have thought to do do this.

ShurikVch
2017-10-02, 03:45 PM
Tainted (from Dragon #302):
Craving (Su): Upon reaching 8th level, a tainted must make a fiend points check every day at dusk. In addition to the normal results of a fiend points check, failure means the tainted must kill (or destroy, in the case of undead or constructs) a number of creatures whose total Hit Dice equals the tainted's class level before the sun comes up. If the tainted cannot meet his quota, he suffers a -1 penalty to all attack rolls, damage rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws until the quota is met. The penalties cannot be removed by any other means short of a wish or miracle spell.

Also, templates:
Bogeyman and Maniac from Menace Manual (d20 Modern)
Tainted Raver (Heroes of Horror):
While some tainted ravers become screaming maniacs, others manifest their lunacy in more subtle and sinister ways. A rare few can suppress the outward signs of their innate wrath and even pass, for a time, as normal. Eventually, however, even the most iron-willed raver must give vent to its rage, resulting in fits of homicidal temper.
Shadowchild (Book of Vile Darkness) - like Half-Fiend, but "looks normal"; in the example, young Taetra Featherfall (CE female elf half-fiend) abducted and sacrificed other children
Ghul (Dragon #313)
Gruesome Hunger – After not eating the raw or rotten meat of an intelligent creature for 6 days, the Ghul must start making a Will save vs. DC 15 each day. Once it fails, it has 24 hours to eat 10% of its body weight of intelligent creature or its will be Sickened until it eats 50% of its body weight!

DrMotives
2017-10-02, 06:31 PM
I think I had a serial killer build that was just bard, with a barbarian dip.

Chester
2017-10-08, 07:51 AM
What are the particulars of the murders that have happened so far?

Well, the latest one involved a raptoran...she was found chopped up in the cage of one of the party members, an awakened bear. (Yes, he wanted to play an awakened bear.) These are new characters, and this investigation is their first adventure together--trying to clear the friendly bear's name.

Tainted (from Dragon #302):

Also, templates:
Bogeyman and Maniac from Menace Manual (d20 Modern)
Tainted Raver (Heroes of Horror):
Shadowchild (Book of Vile Darkness) - like Half-Fiend, but "looks normal"; in the example, young Taetra Featherfall (CE female elf half-fiend) abducted and sacrificed other children
Ghul (Dragon #313)

I like the Tainted Raver, it looks like it works for this. I don't see Shadowchild in BoVD.

I think I'm going with the suggestions of just an Aristocrat, maybe with a level or two in a different class. The PCs have the option of killing or capturing/curing him.

Thanks everyone!

ShurikVch
2017-10-08, 08:14 AM
I don't see Shadowchild in BoVD.Page 17, "The unexpected villain"