PDA

View Full Version : Spells and other means to recover stolen item.

ayvango
2017-10-01, 08:19 PM
I'd like to put some precautions on my bag of holding in case something goes wrong and it would be stolen. I understand that powerful opponent is able to remove them all. But what I'd like to guard myself from are mundane dudes who could accidently stole it. So, I'm searching for spell that could help me track the item, or even retrieve it. Someone need identify to get knowledge of command word to activate item. I'm curios is it possible to get contingent trigger work when the item is being identified? What other means are common?

Fizban
2017-10-01, 08:51 PM
The spell Dragoneye Rune from Dragon Magic is the most convenient. It's only second level, but lasts forever and lets you sense the distance and direction to the marked creature or object three times per day.

Goaty14
2017-10-01, 10:01 PM
Some wizards trap their spellbooks with a geas/quest spell to go off when somebody touches their book without saying a command word first. As I read somewhere.

The geas/quest spell is to return it to it's owner.

Stoic
2017-10-01, 10:01 PM
Spells to locate an object

Arcane Mark + Instanst Summons
Dragoneye Rune (As Fizban pointed out)
Discern Location
Locate Object (if the object is out of range the spell fails)

Spells to prevent it being stolen

Symbol
Magic Mouth (have it shout "Thief")

Is there a way to place contingency onto an object to cast geas to force the thief to return the object?

Edit: Wow, we both thought of the geas thing at the same time.