PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Vampire Beguiler vs Vampire Bard: I don't wanna die!

Yipyioh
2017-10-01, 09:22 PM
In essence, I am a Vampire Rogue/Beguiler with a 2 level dip into Monk and I might be facing off against a Vampire Bard player character either in a small boat in the middle of the ocean or on a secluded island.

I do feel a bit of context is necessary here to get across what I'm looking for, so I'll spoiler the fluff if you don't want to read that crap and just want to help with the numbers.

Long story short I'm in a bad guy campaign and thanks to a lot of tomfoolery (and the DM's house rule that killing another player of equal or greater level to you gets you a level instantly) there's been a lot of backstabbing and politicking. As things have stabilized, it's mostly me, the dude who started as a ripoff of Garrett from Thief (I didn't he'd survive as long as he would), and a dude named Baron who plays the part of a mildly megalomaniacal bard currently in charge of a fort-island-city he's in the process of absolutely ruining financially and socially thanks to the fact that one of our other players became a vampire, turned both of us into vampires, and started bringing what amounts to a Vampire Illuminati to have a pow-wow on this island.

Garrett's not really a bad guy though (the DM actually forced me to put a Paragon/Renegade meter on my sheet and leave my alignment at Chaotic Neutral), so while he is okay with *being* a vampire, he's not a fan of how they're subjugating and enslaving literally everyone they can. Ergo, he's been prepping to betray them all since the moment he was turned and saw how they were abusing their power. Or something.

So, after essentially rousing up a miniature holy crusade from the human capital to purge the fort (which the other player characters don't know about yet) Garrett has convinced Baron to meet him for a chat on another island. The plan is to show up with the one pirate ship I managed to pilfer from the 3 we'd established at the Fort, put on an invisibility ring or put up some Obscuring Mist, drop down into a dinghy with one dude to row it, go pick Baron up under the guise of him being taken back to the ship to have our palaver, and then stopping the dinghy in the middle of the water about 150 feet from the boat before uncloaking to have our chat. I'm unsure if he's been compelled to attack me, take me in, or otherwise do anything distasteful to me by the more paranoid vampires that may have noticed I was missing. If all goes well, I'm going to try to convince him to come with me and lay low for a while and let the paladins and King's Guard take the vampires on for us. I don't expect it to go well though, and if not my contingency is simply to try to kill him. Morte ai tiranni.

So, to the stats. I'm at Rogue 4/Monk 2/Beguiler 6. We just had a HUGE session that bumped me up 4 levels, all of which I dumped into Beguiler. My skills I'm leaving as is, but I'm curious as to your suggestions for Advanced Learning spells and feats that can help me out here. I have a single Advanced Learning spell to choose as well as 3 feats because of how constricted I've been previously on time to actually get things down on my character sheet. 1 feat MUST be something appropriate to a rogue/monk as it should have been there before I began taking Beguiler.

The real kicker? The DM is limiting us specifically to books he has in his library which includes PHB, PHB 2, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Psionic, Book of Vile Darkness, Book of Exalted Deeds, Races of the Dragon, the DMG, and 3 Monster Manuals. However, if you guys suggest something so awesome from somewhere else I just HAVE TO HAVE IT I'll scour my town or order the book with Amazon or something. It would just be inconvenient is all.

Additionally, we're allowed a maximum of 3 classes so I am NOT looking for class suggestions. I can work with Rogue, Monk, and Beguiler, and that's it. Thankfully though the DM has thrown out most all downsides to multiclassing; any class can take any skills without paying extra for cross-class skills and there are no XP penalties whatsoever.

My general build is pretty piss-poor by optimizing standards, but that's cool because at the beginning our party was actively going anti-munchkin to screw around in what we thought was going to be a joke campaign. Now that it's serious I want to knuckle down, and Garrett has been hitting the books as much as I have.

Race(and templates): Human, Vampire
Class: Rogue/Monk/Bard
Levels: 4/2/6 (12 Total)

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral. I currently have 4 Paragon points. If I get 10 Paragon I become a Sanctified Creature. If I get 10 Renegade I dip into something evil, don’t know what.

ABILITIES:
All your normal Vampire Abilities

STR: 24
DEX: 22
CON:-
INT: 21
WIS: 18
CHA: 20

HP: 79
AC 10+ 6 Dex + 1 Armor + 6 Natural + 3 Magic + 1 Dodge = 26 (27 with Dodge)
Speed: 30ft
FORT: -
REF: =9+6+2
WILL: =8+4
INITIATIVE: +10 = +6(DEX)+4(Improve Initiative)
BAB: +7/+2

FEATS:
Combat Expertise, Lucky Fingers, Ascetic Rogue, and… that’s it. Because of the DM’s demand that all changes to the character sheet happen while I’m at his place, I actually have completely spaced adding 3 feats for levels 6, 9, and 12. Level 6 would have been Rogue 4/Monk 2, and every level after that just added Beguiler

SKILLS: I'm actually not going to get into this too deep. Suffice to say the majority of them are HIGH at this point. I have max ranks on all your normal sneaky dude things like Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and such, as well as both Bluff and Diplomacy, and now I believe 12 ranks in Concentration. I believe I only have 5 ranks in Spellcraft, however, but I can change that by choosing to swap points I've put elsewhere into Spellcraft if need be.

SKILL TRICKS:
Speedy Ascent, Wall Jumper, Whip Climber, Extreme Leap, Acrobatic Backstab, Group Fake-Out

EQUIPMENT: (Just the stuff pertinent to combat)

Invisibility Ring
+3 AC Ring
Minor Spell Resistance Ring
Cold Resist (20) Ring
Spell Storing Amulet (up to 5 levels of spells)
Counterspells Ring
30 Silver Bullets (regular bullets and arrows are infinite ammo in this campagin, special things like silver bullets do have to be bought and tracked)

I also have around 17,000 gold in my pocket because unless it's plot-relevant the DM specifically tells us to ignore inventory weight entirely.

Greatcoat (+1 AC that doesn’t count as wearing armor so can go over other armor and doesn’t screw with Monk or Beguiler armor restrictions)

ATTACKS: (Oh yeah it’s a steampunkish setting so guns are pretty common and Sarlas Pif, the gunsmith in every town, takes custom orders like my Military Carbine)

Military Carbine: +15/+13, 2d8+1 Damage, 19-20 x3 Crit, 210ft. Range, 3 Shots before reload

Masterwork Military Pistol: +14/+12, 2d6 Damage, x3 Crit, 60ft., 1 shot only before using 1 Standard Action to reload

Fists: 1d8 Damage, x2 Crit, only level 2 Monk bonuses but Ascetic Rogue adds Rogue levels for damage

So basically I'm curious what you guys can suggest to me that will give me an edge on a vampire spell-wise and feat wise. If I manage to survive this encounter (whether or not Baron does) I'm pretty sure I'm going to wind up fighting quite a few vampires along the way and my character realizes this and wants to begin prepping. Any general tactics tips along the way would be very welcome as well.

Show me what you got :smallcool:

Eldariel
2017-10-02, 01:07 AM
The majority of Beguiler spells tend to be weak specifically against intelligent Undead. And Rogue Sneak Attack doesn't work either - though you could get a Wand of Gravestrike [Spell Compendium] to bypass that. But to that end you'd need Spell Compendium... Shadow Conjuration would help but you need Advanced Learning and 4th level spells for that. As it stands, illusions are your best bet aside from Charmed aides. Sadly you can't get even a 2nd level spell with your current Advanced Learning - Shadow Binding [Spell Compendium] could do stuff.

Right now you mostly have Legion of Sentinels for an offensive spells and a bunch of misdirection effects of various kinds. Invisibility is beyond obvious, Arcane Sight to counter his, Glibness to slip nonsense through his radar, Displacement/Mirror Image as defensive buffs, Glitterdust/Slow as offensive ones (luckily neither is mind-affecting). Silence can be very powerful as a readied action to distract his spellcasting. And your Vampire abilities are...eh, not that strong against other Vampires. Though the gaseous form, stealth/defense, and fast healing might make it nigh' impossible for you two to kill one another. Children of the Night and alternative form (Dire Wolf) could be reasonable if not for the lack of Silvered Fang/UA Strike.

Scrolls, if you can get any, are your best bet - Hide from Undead has obvious benefit and something like Scroll of Disintegrate could straight-up dust him. Polymorph Any Object could make him into a bunny. Command Undead could also be convenient. Without, you'll have to bank on your stealth/defensive skills, superior stealth/detection spells (particularly Arcane Sight, which allows you to see magic through many walls and detect his buffs) to carry you through. If you can talk to him and think up convenient lies that would cause him to panic, like you having poisoned him already and him needing an antidote but you be willing to trade it for victory, or the fight being arranged to take you both down and you having to cooperate, or whatever, make use of Glibness and Bluff. And yeah, don't believe anything he says since he has the same spells. And casting Silence on an object (e.g. a bullet or a stone or whatever) and aiming it at him could really cramp his style since Bardic Music and spellcasting both require sound. And you can move in silence while within the area. And 20' radius area is huge; if you position well, escaping it might be very hard indeed for him (but Gaseous Form...).

ShurikVch
2017-10-02, 03:48 PM
Song of the Dead [Metamagic] feat (Dragon #312) allow to use mind-affecting spells on intelligent Undead

Venger
2017-10-02, 04:44 PM
Song of the Dead [Metamagic] feat (Dragon #312) allow to use mind-affecting spells on intelligent Undead

it was reprinted in dragon compendium if your gm doesn't allow dragon magazine.