PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warmage E6

JNAProductions
2017-10-01, 09:44 PM
How do make good?

Crake
2017-10-01, 11:53 PM
Can you explain what part of the warmage you aren't satisfied with?

Esprit15
2017-10-02, 12:03 AM
I assume they've heard that a decently built evoker or damage focused sorcerer is "better" with little further description.

DrKerosene
2017-10-02, 12:21 AM
Well, the section for 5th level builds with Flaws has "Alex the Fiery". http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2813.0

Just add a 6th level of whatever PrC you want (if any), and then take a bunch of feats as you desire. You know, like Battlecaster or Obtain Familiar.

I think the Necrotic Cyst feat paired with Versatile Spellcaster should allow you access to one (or more) 4th level spells. As well as some necromancy flavor.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-02, 12:46 AM
Use a race that gets a bonus to Cha. Since it's E6, level adjustment just means lower point buy, so Draconic Creature or Phrenic Creature or similar may be worthwhile. The Magic-Blooded template from Dragon magazine (306 I believe) gives Wis -2, Cha +2, some minor spell-like abilities, and you replace any existing special vision with Low-Light Vision. You can put this on a Lesser Aasimar to gain the needed ability score boosts without any level adjustment.

Go Warmage 6 if you have a 3rd level spell in mind for the 6th level Advanced Learning (or a 2nd level spell for Eclectic Learning in PH2). Otherwise consider dipping a prestige class that advances spellcasting.

The Warmage Edge benefit is very minor, so don't worry about trying to get a high Int score. Extra Edge is also pretty worthless, topping out at a +2 bonus.

Versatile Spellcaster is probably going to be your most beneficial feat. It allows you to spend two spell slots of the same level to cast any spell you know of one level higher, which may mean being able to cast 4th level spells by spending two 3rd level slots. Having that feat should be enough to learn all the 4th level spells one you have two 3rd level slots, but your DM may require you to be able to cast 4th level spells before you can learn them, in which case take Heighten Spell. You should probably get that anyway, along with the Fiery Burst reserve feat, which allows you to spam 4d6 fire damage in a 5-ft. radius as long as you have two 3rd level spell slots available. So take Versatile Spellcaster at 1st, Heighten Spell at 3rd, and Fiery Burst at 6th.

Work on improving your Cha, get some decent light armor and a light shield, and whatever utility items you can get your hands on.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-10-02, 05:27 AM
Well, over in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22436120&postcount=21) we discussed a way to get Empowers by expending psionic focus. It takes a lot of feats (well, three, not counting metamagic, plus one essentia from somewhere), but once you're far into E6, feats are relatively available. Using Easy Metamagic, you can even get Twin just by expending focus.

JNAProductions
2017-10-02, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm just looking for how to make a fun, powerful Warmage under E6 restrictions, and so far, I like what I see. Thank you!

ATHATH
2017-10-02, 11:04 AM
The Cerebrosis feat might be a viable alternative to the Mother Cyst feat, if you prefer Far Realm-themed spells to cyst-themed spells.

gkathellar
2017-10-02, 11:36 AM
If you can swing the entry, bonus domains from PrCs are great for full-list casters. Basically anything that expands your spell list will be a nice addition.

Basically, look for good 1-level dips. With versatile spellcaster, you might be able to do Warblade 4/X 1/Y 1.