PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Thrown Weapon and Extra Attack

sir_argo
2017-10-02, 01:53 PM
This has probably been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find my question... so here goes...

How does Extra Attack work with thrown weapons? Specifically, is the act of drawing the dagger ignored? You can draw one weapon as a free action as part of an Attack action, but if you have Extra Attack, you are trying to throw two weapons a round. So how does that work? Either you ignore the act of drawing the weapon when you're throwing it, or the sequence will end up like this:

Round 1
Throw the first dagger (currently in my hand)
Draw a second dagger as a free action / part of my Attack action
Throw the second dagger

Round 2
Draw a dagger as a free action / part of my Attack action
Throw the dagger

Rounds 3+ are the same as Round 2. It seems that if I go by RAW, I can throw two daggers on round 1, but thereafter only 1 dagger per round.

Is there a rule in the books that I'm missing?

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-02, 01:58 PM
RAW: You only get one object interaction per round. So let's say that you have a javelin in hand at the start of combat. The first round you can throw that one, draw another, and then throw it. However, on the second round, you'd need to use your object interaction to draw one javelin, throw it, and then you can't draw a second.

However, most DMs I know tend to hand-wave that, and say that you can draw as many as you have attacks as part of the attack. So if you can attack three times in a round, you can also draw three javelins or daggers, or whatever.

Requilac
2017-10-02, 02:00 PM
I asked this exact same question not too long ago (couldn't have been more than a week) You could try searching through that thread to see if it answers anything. Let me go see if i can find the link...

Edit: Aha, I found the link, its posted below. Hope that helps.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?537034-How-do-thrown-weapons-interact-with-extra-attack

Saggo
2017-10-02, 02:02 PM
That's pretty much it. With Dual Wielder, though, your draw interaction can draw two daggers. So with a feat, a single Extra Attack isn't a problem.

The optimal approach without the feat is to have 2 daggers drawn before combat starts.

Turn 1: Throw (1 Dagger), Draw (2 Daggers), Throw (1 Dagger) for 2 Throws
Turn 2: Throw (0 Daggers), Draw (1 Dagger), Throw (0 Daggers) for 2 Throws
Turn 3+: Draw (1 Dagger), Throw (0 Daggers) for 1 Throw

Maxilian
2017-10-02, 03:40 PM
Does taking an object that is being handed to you count as my free object interaction?

Varlon
2017-10-02, 03:54 PM
Yes. No cheesing it.

Zanthy1
2017-10-03, 05:02 PM
I had a player want to do this with darts. I essentially told him it'll be the standard action to draw them, he got around that by just holding all the darts in one hand and throwing them with the other. Idk if thats RAW, but I love it.

GlenSmash!
2017-10-03, 06:16 PM
I had a player want to do this with darts. I essentially told him it'll be the standard action to draw them, he got around that by just holding all the darts in one hand and throwing them with the other. Idk if thats RAW, but I love it.

That sounds great to me. I'd probably allow it with a small number of Javelins too.

Maxilian
2017-10-03, 06:51 PM
Yes. No cheesing it.

What does that even mean?, you mean...reflavor? or homebrew?

Knaight
2017-10-03, 07:51 PM
What does that even mean?, you mean...reflavor? or homebrew?

"Cheese" in this context means something more like exploit the rules - which is pretty questionable here, given how having someone hand off weapons to someone in front of them is a well established tactic from real life (albeit usually in siege warfare or with chariots).

JackPhoenix
2017-10-04, 11:11 AM
That sounds great to me. I'd probably allow it with a small number of Javelins too.

Also known as "the way it was done in real world", from Roman legionnaires carring pila in their shield hand to knife throwing performers and bar dart throwers today.

tieren
2017-10-04, 11:19 AM
You could also ask if the DM will let you use a bonus action as an extra object interaction to draw a second weapon.

An EK could use their bonus action to teleport a bonded thrown weapon back to their hand.

Saggo
2017-10-04, 11:45 AM
You could also ask if the DM will let you use a bonus action as an extra object interaction to draw a second weapon.

An EK could use their bonus action to teleport a bonded thrown weapon back to their hand.

In addition, as it was mentioned in another thread, Thief would legally let you draw as a bonus action.

An EK/Arcane Trickster multiclass would be a good use of a weapon bonded knife thrower. You only get 1 dagger back a turn, so you make the most of your 1 attack per turn. And EK/AT has good synergy.