PDA

View Full Version : Need some experts for building.

Savarin
2017-10-02, 03:24 PM
So I had a random thought of a race but need pros to work on details of it.

It’s pretty simple truth be told but I thought it was nice. A race that doesnt age when it’s eyes are closed but when it opens it eyes it ages at an hour a second. But gains power from the trade off. Normal life span of a human. Except when eyes are closed times stops for them.

Need a race name, the rough power up, and some backstory please. I want to see this race come to life!

Thank you for viewing. :smallbiggrin:

JNAProductions
2017-10-02, 03:55 PM
What edition? In fact, what game?

Also, let's assume that there are 24 hours in a day, and any given member will live to see 75. They sleep 8 hours a day-that leaves 16 hours awake. Let's assume, with blinking and whatnot, their eyes are closed for a further 4 hours, leaving just 12 hours a day. That's 43,200 seconds, so they age 1800 days per actual day that passes.

They will live slightly over two weeks.

Savarin
2017-10-02, 04:12 PM
What edition? In fact, what game?

Also, let's assume that there are 24 hours in a day, and any given member will live to see 75. They sleep 8 hours a day-that leaves 16 hours awake. Let's assume, with blinking and whatnot, their eyes are closed for a further 4 hours, leaving just 12 hours a day. That's 43,200 seconds, so they age 1800 days per actual day that passes.

They will live slightly over two weeks.

Not for a game just making a new race. 3.5 edition probs since I’m most familiar with that. Also I think that’s why they will keep their eyes closed and not open them unless there in danger because of the cost.

Think we can work with the details?

Savarin
2017-10-02, 04:13 PM
I thought it was an interesting race idea that I wanted hammered out

Edit: Do you think we can add another detail? With their eyes close they gain 1second more life with a hour that there eyes been closed. So 60 hours for 1 hour of life back. I want to make the trade off for the power harsh. But bearable.

aimlessPolymath
2017-10-02, 04:54 PM
Well, other than that one trait, there isn't really much to the race other than their lifespan. As a brewer, you aren't giving me a lot to work with.

Balance-wise, this trait doesn't register one way or the other- it doesn't affect combat statistics at all, or noncombat abilities much. Depending on how you spin it, it could let the race deliberately alter their age category quickly, over the course of several days, which is a neat thing that isn't too overpowered (most builds will take advantage of one end of the spectrum and ignore the other except for disguises and such, so it isn't much more powerful than making an old character in the first place)

Savarin
2017-10-02, 05:36 PM
Well, other than that one trait, there isn't really much to the race other than their lifespan. As a brewer, you aren't giving me a lot to work with.

Balance-wise, this trait doesn't register one way or the other- it doesn't affect combat statistics at all, or noncombat abilities much. Depending on how you spin it, it could let the race deliberately alter their age category quickly, over the course of several days, which is a neat thing that isn't too overpowered (most builds will take advantage of one end of the spectrum and ignore the other except for disguises and such, so it isn't much more powerful than making an old character in the first place)

Hmm it was just a splurge idea I had. Idk what to add. An insight bonus to ac while eyes are open. Probably blindsense so if there ever in need they reserve there eyes as a trump card. Maybe there eyes can see through invisibe characters or act as a scryer? Just things that might go with it. I’m not a pro at home brewing I dabble once in awhile with lesser things lol

Anymage
2017-10-02, 06:02 PM
As a race, you'd have to go one of two ways with them. Either they have some form of blindsight, in which case keeping their eyes closed has little practical drawback and you'd need to add some really strong mystic component to make it a temptation. Or else they're blind unless they open their eyes, which can be really inconvenient on a community scale.

Assuming 3.5, I'd be tempted to make it some form of seer PRC instead of a race. Blindsight, and strong divination SLAs when they open their eyes. (Fluffed as them having so much prophetic power that opening their eyes shows them deep insights about reality.) But the deep insights being Things Man Was Not Meant to Know, giving some form of drawbacks.

Probably not age, between the fact that long-lived races can abuse this and the fact that it's too easy to give either too much or too little. (Especially remembering that a PRC with too heavy a penalty will be passed over in favor of something else.) But that's probably the best way to spin someone who dares not open their eyes, lest they see too much.

Savarin
2017-10-02, 08:59 PM
As a race, you'd have to go one of two ways with them. Either they have some form of blindsight, in which case keeping their eyes closed has little practical drawback and you'd need to add some really strong mystic component to make it a temptation. Or else they're blind unless they open their eyes, which can be really inconvenient on a community scale.

Assuming 3.5, I'd be tempted to make it some form of seer PRC instead of a race. Blindsight, and strong divination SLAs when they open their eyes. (Fluffed as them having so much prophetic power that opening their eyes shows them deep insights about reality.) But the deep insights being Things Man Was Not Meant to Know, giving some form of drawbacks.

Probably not age, between the fact that long-lived races can abuse this and the fact that it's too easy to give either too much or too little. (Especially remembering that a PRC with too heavy a penalty will be passed over in favor of something else.) But that's probably the best way to spin someone who dares not open their eyes, lest they see too much.

Hmmm when I pictured it. It was there age that rapidly increased. But they gained explosive power from it. If possible I would like to continue with that and give them about 60-75years life expectancies almost as much as a humans. But they used up there life so fast that they wouldn’t open there eyes unless there life was on the line. Maybe even add when they open there eyes they can’t close them for 1 hour regardless of what happens. Or they use an entire days worth by opening them once.

Even add that they can’t regain the age they lose by any magical means except there own racial bonus.

Lastly I wasn’t thinking of this being a playable race. Just a race that lives in seclusion. I hope we can make something along these lines. Want to keep it close to the image as I had as close as inhumanly possible.

Anymage
2017-10-02, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know how well this would work out as a PC race. I'm reminded of the juicer in rifts, a class "balanced" by the fact that they die of old age a little over five years after they start play. And trying to remember how often people cared enough about time for that limit to matter.

For blindfolk, assume worst case scenarios. Minimum age of 60 years, starting age of 18, gives 42 useful years. Opening their eyes causes them to age at 3600 times normal. Assuming they suffer a minimum of one hour's worth of fast aging per use, that's 150 days of effective life per use. 42, divided by the life cost of 150 days means that the PC gets a bit over 102 encounters of being awesome over the course of their career.

Going by 3.5's assumption of 13.33 encounters per level, that's about one use per every three encounters if you expect to go 1-20. Changing anything, like starting above first and/or games that don't run arbitrarily high, will allow uses to be even more common. This is why lifetime limits on PC power use are a devil to balance properly.

Savarin
2017-10-03, 04:03 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know how well this would work out as a PC race. I'm reminded of the juicer in rifts, a class "balanced" by the fact that they die of old age a little over five years after they start play. And trying to remember how often people cared enough about time for that limit to matter.

For blindfolk, assume worst case scenarios. Minimum age of 60 years, starting age of 18, gives 42 useful years. Opening their eyes causes them to age at 3600 times normal. Assuming they suffer a minimum of one hour's worth of fast aging per use, that's 150 days of effective life per use. 42, divided by the life cost of 150 days means that the PC gets a bit over 102 encounters of being awesome over the course of their career.

Going by 3.5's assumption of 13.33 encounters per level, that's about one use per every three encounters if you expect to go 1-20. Changing anything, like starting above first and/or games that don't run arbitrarily high, will allow uses to be even more common. This is why lifetime limits on PC power use are a devil to balance properly.

I thought I said I didn’t want it to be a player race lol must have forgot to add that. I know people would abuse it so that’s why I wanted it to be a monster race. I had more thoughts on it. Maybe making a barrier equal to 1/4 total hit points or making spell resistance higher when eyes are open with an insight bonus to attacks and armor class?

Bohandas
2017-10-11, 01:59 AM
Probably not age, between the fact that long-lived races can abuse this

Even moreso people with the Timeless Body ability