PDA

View Full Version : ESCAPE of the UNKNOWNS

Pages : [1] 2

Gypsy52
2017-10-03, 01:01 AM
This is the land of Karagould, it is only a small frontier area of the kingdom and is ruled by a cruel overlord, a human named Frizbroug. But for all his cruel and greedy ways he is by no means a match for the lords. They had come before the wars and brokered with the ensuing army a truce that would allow them to remain nearly unchanged and unchallenged with their personal holding… which included a multitude of exotic slaves the like the rest of the world had never seen.

But there are those that saw these slaves as more than just the toys of those rice, corrupt lords; and felt it their duty to help them be free. These rebels called themselves the “Third Eye”. Using their contacts in nearly every lord’s house, and a series of commoners. They waited for when the time was right a plan was executed to free the UNKNOWNS.

From each of the eight lordships there is chosen a single UNKNOWN for freedom. Each of you are talked to over the course of several weeks by a common house servant, in preparation for your escape to ensure you are a good selection and readiness. And when the day arrives they greet you with another, who never speaks, but only holds his left to his forehead, his thumb and little-finger forming a circle and the central fingers extended. Your coach tells you to trust and follow them.

Gypsy52
2017-10-04, 02:22 PM
“Gardener,” the soft, silent voice of Toloice the Halfling asks; “are you ready? This is Krug (a half-orc) he will lead you from here. But you must be swift and quiet. Good Luck!”

“Aroswave,” a firm, but quiet voice from Rectar ; “it’s time. Go with Simalim (an elf); luck and speed be with you.”

“Ted,” a feather tickles your nose as your ghomish friend stands smiling. “This is your day go with human, he will lead you to freedom.

“Awake friend Nija, awake. You waste much time, too much time. Come, come must go, must go now with Keisha.” The tiny, half-wit pulls at your hands as the human female watches.

“Well if you’re going to make a bid for freedom, them you’d best get ready.” A somber, but quiet voice from Karl (human) rests on your ears as he sits in your chair legs crossed, next to him is another human. “Don’t worry, this is only a friend that will lead you out, you can trust him and I trust you. Now go and be free.”

“I need a favor Snarl, take me from the city. I have been discovered and marked for death. It’s the only way Biggar (half-orc) will lead me out. But try not to kill me.”

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-04, 09:55 PM
"So. This is it, then."

Four of Sixty-six closes the door behind her so she can speak to the unexpected visitors in private. Her position as a foreman and informant has had its benefits, including her own spartan quarters. She almost asks how they got in here, but it's really no wonder. No one else in this building would question a human's right to go where he pleases.

There is no bed, of course, but only the one chair and a small side table, featuring the tools for making reports and written instructions for the other slaves. Her job does not require anything else other than care and patience. In a way, today was probably a good day for Karl's return; Four was running out of patience. She closes her eyes for a moment, a small gesture considering that they're rarely more than half-open to begin with. "Very well. I'll just be a moment."

Four reaches over to the end table and picks up a chalkboard slate. Her metal ears twitch ever-so-slightly in thought as she scratches a detailed note for the next day's work schedule. Tasks, items and names in Pelayan are arranged in the usual manner, except for the bottom line: "I may be gone for a long time."

She dares not take any of her remaining writing supplies with her. Whoever next uses these quarters will need them. It's not a grand gesture, but her comrades and underlings will have enough problems when Master figures out what happened. Once she's set down the chalkboard, she nods to Karl and to her nameless getaway driver.

"Alright. Let us get moving."

ahyangyi
2017-10-05, 05:16 AM
Aroswav certainly lost too much time due to his enslavement. His race does not have a long life expectancy, and he is already feeling his aging(*1). Ghostshifters' lives are about as long as human's. Except for those who use Ghostly Heart(*2) frequently and those who are terribly weak(*3), whose lives are considerably shorter.

Due to his ability to deal with ghosts naturally and physically, Aroswav was a crypt keeper under his current lord. His task includes not only watching, but also many mundane tasks like cleaning the ground and digging the land when someone needs to be entombed.

The recent interaction with Rectar has brought hope to Aroswav. When Rectar introduces Simalim and hints at the start of action, Aroswav immediately answered, "I am ready".

Indeed, he has taken everything he needs with him(*4). He takes a wooden holy symbol with himself, and some basic tools and rations. Some of these are what he usually brings to the crypt anyways, which is why he has them available with himself.

In the crypt, he has already left some traces of himself in various directions(*5). That should provide some sort of distraction for a short time, though in the long run his absence would be apparent.

*1: Aroswav is middle-aged (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdultFear).
*2: Ghostshifters can turn their hearts to a special status like that of ghost-touch weapons. They get some resistance in that form, but are also staggered due to being uncomfortable. One might imagine that staying in that status for too long is analogous to some sort of chronic heart disease, which is bad for your life expectancy.
*3. Ghostshifters have a racial modifier of -2 to strength, so there are more weak individuals than in other races.
*4. Items listed here may need GM's discretion.
*5. Ghostshifters can enter a state of Ghostly Feet, and can fly at an extremely slow speed in that state. They can, therefore, leave traces and no trace when they wish. This ability is rarely useful in most situations though, so his lord is not aware of this ability. Though it is still possible that his lord can infer his this ability by analogy of his other abilities.

Gypsy52
2017-10-05, 11:27 AM
Seeing Four and her guide safe exited, Karl returns and erases the instructions, then pours a small amount of water onto the slate to cleanse it throughly as if Four herself had dutyfully performed the task. Then made his exit in a different manner so as not to bring attention should he be discovered.

Meanwhile; you are led through areas that were once closed off, following the unspeaking as quietly as possible and staying in shadows of dark and foreboding hallways in the manor until finally coming outside its private walls. There you’re met by another, and the two exchange similar salutes as before; then the new one motions you to follow, as you turn about your previous guide has vanished.

"So. This is it, then."

Four of Sixty-six closes the door behind her so she can speak to the unexpected visitors in private. Her position as a foreman and informant has had its benefits, including her own spartan quarters. She almost asks how they got in here, but it's really no wonder. No one else in this building would question a human's right to go where he pleases.

There is no bed, of course, but only the one chair and a small side table, featuring the tools for making reports and written instructions for the other slaves. Her job does not require anything else other than care and patience. In a way, today was probably a good day for Karl's return; Four was running out of patience. She closes her eyes for a moment, a small gesture considering that they're rarely more than half-open to begin with. "Very well. I'll just be a moment."

Four reaches over to the end table and picks up a chalkboard slate. Her metal ears twitch ever-so-slightly in thought as she scratches a detailed note for the next day's work schedule. Tasks, items and names in Pelayan are arranged in the usual manner, except for the bottom line: "I may be gone for a long time."

She dares not take any of her remaining writing supplies with her. Whoever next uses these quarters will need them. It's not a grand gesture, but her comrades and underlings will have enough problems when Master figures out what happened. Once she's set down the chalkboard, she nods to Karl and to her nameless getaway driver.

"Alright. Let us get moving."

Gypsy52
2017-10-05, 11:41 AM
Rectar hides all but your holy symbol, "Too much, too big! We have more provision for you later. Now go quickly!"
The three of you leave and soon Rectar has broken off and gone a different way as you and the quiet one crawl into a small opening. You hear the sounds of running, shouts, commands to soldiers, Rectar's voice... then "Here's one that won't be saving anymore slaves." Something being dragged across stone.

Aroswav certainly lost too much time due to his enslavement. His race does not have a long life expectancy, and he is already feeling his aging(*1). Ghostshifters' lives are about as long as human's. Except for those who use Ghostly Heart(*2) frequently and those who are terribly weak(*3), whose lives are considerably shorter.

Due to his ability to deal with ghosts naturally and physically, Aroswav was a crypt keeper under his current lord. His task includes not only watching, but also many mundane tasks like cleaning the ground and digging the land when someone needs to be entombed.

The recent interaction with Rectar has brought hope to Aroswav. When Rectar introduces Simalim and hints at the start of action, Aroswav immediately answered, "I am ready".

Indeed, he has taken everything he needs with him(*4). He takes a wooden holy symbol with himself, and some basic tools and rations. Some of these are what he usually brings to the crypt anyways, which is why he has them available with himself.

In the crypt, he has already left some traces of himself in various directions(*5). That should provide some sort of distraction for a short time, though in the long run his absence would be apparent.

*1: Aroswav is middle-aged (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdultFear).
*2: Ghostshifters can turn their hearts to a special status like that of ghost-touch weapons. They get some resistance in that form, but are also staggered due to being uncomfortable. One might imagine that staying in that status for too long is analogous to some sort of chronic heart disease, which is bad for your life expectancy.
*3. Ghostshifters have a racial modifier of -2 to strength, so there are more weak individuals than in other races.
*4. Items listed here may need GM's discretion.
*5. Ghostshifters can enter a state of Ghostly Feet, and can fly at an extremely slow speed in that state. They can, therefore, leave traces and no trace when they wish. This ability is rarely useful in most situations though, so his lord is not aware of this ability. Though it is still possible that his lord can infer his this ability by analogy of his other abilities.

zylodrizzt
2017-10-05, 03:38 PM
Snarl wiggles from the garden recently finishing off some pests in the courtyard. A dark green vine squirms into view covered in some scraps of whatever he just finished trailing on his thorns. He wipes himself around in the dirt to remove the remains.

Snarl was placed here to look after the entrance to the castle and pest control. He would snare various small animals. He would make unwilling slaves willing again. He would make the garden beautiful making mulch out of dead bodies. Hardly a soul knew he was here.

Snarl bends and twists into words. The words say that "this will hurt. Even after I leave your body it may be weeks before you regain conciousness. Are you ready now?"

If he agrees snarl snakes around him and they become one. I don't understand. Hopefully this will become clearer later. I'll do my best. Sorry my friend.

Gypsy52
2017-10-05, 05:43 PM
He pulls open his vest and reveal a tattered, bloody shirt stained from the lashes of the Cat. Opening the shirt is the burned brand marking him for the gallows. "I am your hope, and you are mine."

Snarl wiggles from the garden recently finishing off some pests in the courtyard. A dark green vine squirms into view covered in some scraps of whatever he just finished trailing on his thorns. He wipes himself around in the dirt to remove the remains.

Snarl was placed here to look after the entrance to the castle and pest control. He would snare various small animals. He would make unwilling slaves willing again. He would make the garden beautiful making mulch out of dead bodies. Hardly a soul knew he was here.

Snarl bends and twists into words. The words say that "this will hurt. Even after I leave your body it may be weeks before you regain conciousness. Are you ready now?"

If he agrees snarl snakes around him and they become one. I don't understand. Hopefully this will become clearer later. I'll do my best. Sorry my friend.

Gypsy52
2017-10-06, 01:06 AM
As Keisha opens the door of Nija quarters she suddenly feels several sharp piercing pains, and has just enough strength to see the crossbow bolts protruding from her chest and stomach. She collapses in a heap on the stone floor as the guards rush in to recapture Nija and the tiny one. The tiny one is carried off kicking and screaming..."NO, NO, NO, no more, no more, Chima take no more!"

“Gardener,” the soft, silent voice of Toloice the Halfling asks; “are you ready? This is Krug (a half-orc) he will lead you from here. But you must be swift and quiet. Good Luck!”

“Aroswave,” a firm, but quiet voice from Rectar ; “it’s time. Go with Simalim (an elf); luck and speed be with you.”

“Ted,” a feather tickles your nose as your ghomish friend stands smiling. “This is your day go with human, he will lead you to freedom.

“Awake friend Nija, awake. You waste much time, too much time. Come, come must go, must go now with Keisha.” The tiny, half-wit pulls at your hands as the human female watches.

“Well if you’re going to make a bid for freedom, them you’d best get ready.” A somber, but quiet voice from Karl (human) rests on your ears as he sits in your chair legs crossed, next to him is another human. “Don’t worry, this is only a friend that will lead you out, you can trust him and I trust you. Now go and be free.”

“I need a favor Snarl, take me from the city. I have been discovered and marked for death. It’s the only way Biggar (half-orc) will lead me out. But try not to kill me.”

Triskavanski
2017-10-06, 03:32 AM
Ted looks to the ghomish friend, reaching up slowly to block the feather from his nose. With a sigh he slowly begins walking towards the human he was suppose to follow. "I suppose.. if I have to." he remarks in a flat almost monotone way.

Gypsy52
2017-10-06, 01:54 PM
A quick glance out the door, then down the hall. He motions you to stay in the shadows as you approach the great hall. Sliding behind the columns and tapestries there's a rope dangling in the corner. The occasional knot helps with the climbing as you move to the over-watch; it's late and no one's around. He quickly rolls up the rope as Norboc waves farwell for below. Your given an encouraging push, and lead to an out-door; from here you see someone standing behind a tree outside and below. The signal is given, the grapple in set and you're set on your way to your next guide. Once on the ground he touches his thumb and little fingers together and extends the middle 3 fingers as he places it on his forehead.

Ted looks to the ghomish friend, reaching up slowly to block the feather from his nose. With a sigh he slowly begins walking towards the human he was suppose to follow. "I suppose.. if I have to." he remarks in a flat almost monotone way.

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-06, 01:59 PM

The gardener nods, that was generally the simplest means of communicating with the short-folk.

He proceeds to follow the green stranger identified as Krug, all the gardener is compressing his body to hide under and beside any passing furniture. He takes nothing other than his clothing and even that is limited to trousers and the sack over his head with added eye and mouth holes. Apparently, like most of his kind, his face is hideous by the standards of other people. They're ones to talk.

Stealth: [roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-10-07, 12:13 AM
Krug lead Gardener and Toloice boldly down the corridor where the slaves are kept. Until they reach the normally locked door and the guards, there they take a seldom used stairway to the roof and leave Toloice behind. Both roof guards appear to be asleep, but still Krug indicates to proceed quietly across it vast expanse. There a rope dangles from a large overhanging limb. You both climb into the branches, Krug pulls up the rope, and then to cross over to the trunk and begin your descent into the city below.

The gardener nods, that was generally the simplest means of communicating with the short-folk.

He proceeds to follow the green stranger identified as Krug, all the gardener is compressing his body to hide under and beside any passing furniture. He takes nothing other than his clothing and even that is limited to trousers and the sack over his head with added eye and mouth holes. Apparently, like most of his kind, his face is hideous by the standards of other people. They're ones to talk.

Stealth: [roll0]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-07, 01:47 AM
Leave it to the underground railroad to run off before you can thank them, but the multiple hand-offs make a certain degree of sense. Four can only imagine what complex protocols the rebellion must follow to maintain propriety in these situations.

She would be happier if she could disguise herself before she could be seen in public, but she ultimately chooses not to cast the spell. Her new guide is still motioning to her in silence, so Four will follow along in silence.

...you are led through areas that were once closed off, following the unspeaking as quietly as possible and staying in shadows of dark and foreboding hallways in the manor until finally coming outside its private walls. There you’re met by another, and the two exchange similar salutes as before; then the new one motions you to follow, as you turn about your previous guide has vanished.

Triskavanski
2017-10-07, 12:41 PM
A quick glance out the door, then down the hall. He motions you to stay in the shadows as you approach the great hall. Sliding behind the columns and tapestries there's a rope dangling in the corner. The occasional knot helps with the climbing as you move to the over-watch; it's late and no one's around. He quickly rolls up the rope as Norboc waves farwell for below. Your given an encouraging push, and lead to an out-door; from here you see someone standing behind a tree outside and below. The signal is given, the grapple in set and you're set on your way to your next guide. Once on the ground he touches his thumb and little fingers together and extends the middle 3 fingers as he places it on his forehead.

Ted follows the commands of the others, neither resisting nor taking on full on initiative to get to the next spot. After all this was their plan, and too much independent action from him could ruin everything. He yawned as he drifted along the path, pausing to stare at Norboc trying ot figure out what the cryptic gesture meant. After a short period of deliberation with himself, Ted raises his hand up to his forehead as well making a fist with the pointer and thumb extended.

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-08, 03:25 PM
Krug lead Gardener and Toloice boldly down the corridor where the slaves are kept. Until they reach the normally locked door and the guards, there they take a seldom used stairway to the roof and leave Toloice behind. Both roof guards appear to be asleep, but still Krug indicates to proceed quietly across it vast expanse. There a rope dangles from a large overhanging limb. You both climb into the branches, Krug pulls up the rope, and then to cross over to the trunk and begin your descent into the city below.

The gardener climbs into the tree after Krug. Thanks to a combination of reach and natural ability the gardener only uses the rope for a little leverage and he could have managed without. He manoeuvres through the tree easily, fingers and toes curling around branches.

He continued to follow.

ahyangyi
2017-10-09, 01:34 PM
Rectar hides all but your holy symbol, "Too much, too big! We have more provision for you later. Now go quickly!"
The three of you leave and soon Rectar has broken off and gone a different way as you and the quiet one crawl into a small opening. You hear the sounds of running, shouts, commands to soldiers, Rectar's voice... then "Here's one that won't be saving anymore slaves." Something being dragged across stone.

Aroswav silently prays for a undisturbed afterlife for Rectar, while trying to catch up with Simalim.

Gypsy52
2017-10-09, 07:10 PM
Once the area is silent again Simalim begins crawling further and further through the tunnel-like opening until it opens into a a larger cavity. There are six metal plates, not much larger than the tunnel –way you just through but you still can’t stand. He removes a glove a feels each plate, the first three causing him to grimish in pain, as do the last two. Then he begin prying the forth plate off with his knife revealing and unused chimnel. Inside hangs a knotted rope, he lays on his back and shuffle in and up. Staying low you cross the pitched and tiled roof to the near end; there a ladder await you descent. Below is a cloaked figured.

Aroswav silently prays for a undisturbed afterlife for Rectar, while trying to catch up with Simalim.

Gypsy52
2017-10-11, 01:23 AM
At the bottom of the tree Krug is met by stranger, and they stare at each other for a long moment. Finally Krug forms a circle with his thumb and index finger and places them on his forehead. The stranger does likewise and Krug swiftly draws his dagger and slices his throat. He drags the body behind some bushes as he motions you down. Krug whispers; “The chain is broken, we’re in much danger now.” Looking about heads into a nearby alley, and motions you to follow. <Stealth check>

The gardener climbs into the tree after Krug. Thanks to a combination of reach and natural ability the gardener only uses the rope for a little leverage and he could have managed without. He manoeuvres through the tree easily, fingers and toes curling around branches.

He continued to follow.

Gypsy52
2017-10-11, 01:27 AM
Once the area is silent again Simalim begins crawling further and further through the tunnel-like opening until it opens into a a larger cavity. There are six metal plates, not much larger than the tunnel –way you just through but you still can’t stand. He removes a glove a feels each plate, the first three causing him to grimish in pain, as do the last two. Then he begin prying the forth plate off with his knife revealing and unused chimney. Inside hangs a knotted rope, he lays on his back and shuffle in and up. Staying low you cross the pitched and tiled roof to the near end; there a ladder await you descent. Below is a cloaked figure.

Simalim gives the sign and motions you down; then you see the young elven girl that will be you new guide. “There is trouble afoot.” She warns, “So we’ll have to move quickly and in the shadows.” With that she turns and heads into the darkness of the nearby alley. <Stealth check >

Gypsy52
2017-10-11, 01:29 AM
Your human guide smiles in your attempt at the sign, he reaches up and corrects your fingers… thumb and little finger touching, and rather awkward position. Then he whisper; “To freedom!”
The Halfling now turns and leads you toward and abandoned warehouse, but at approaching its walls he opens a trap door and you go underground and into and tunnel system below. There must be eight tunnels converging here, but somehow he knows which one to take. And before long you emerge through and secret passage in someone’s basement.
“Now comes the hard part. We must get to the Dragon’s Tooth on the other side of the main square.”

Ted follows the commands of the others, neither resisting nor taking on full on initiative to get to the next spot. After all this was their plan, and too much independent action from him could ruin everything. He yawned as he drifted along the path, pausing to stare at Norboc trying ot figure out what the cryptic gesture meant. After a short period of deliberation with himself, Ted raises his hand up to his forehead as well making a fist with the pointer and thumb extended.

Gypsy52
2017-10-11, 01:32 AM
Looking about you realize that your actually in the city area, a back alley of the mansion. The human leads you off into darkness and keeps going through alleys and back-ways. He suddenly pushes you against the wall and motions you to be quiet as a city guard patrol passes. <Stealth check>

Leave it to the underground railroad to run off before you can thank them, but the multiple hand-offs make a certain degree of sense. Four can only imagine what complex protocols the rebellion must follow to maintain propriety in these situations.

She would be happier if she could disguise herself before she could be seen in public, but she ultimately chooses not to cast the spell. Her new guide is still motioning to her in silence, so Four will follow along in silence.

Gypsy52
2017-10-11, 01:35 AM
Biggar looks about the garden and heads for the gates, the iron squeak as it moved. The two men stepped outside and into the city streets. No one, not even the city guards would be expecting this escape; afterall Biggar wasn’t wanted for anything, and as long as no one recognizes his companion… <Disguise check>

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-11, 01:18 PM
Four holds her breath, but makes no additional effort to hide. If she is to remain unseen, it is only because she can see in the dark and the humans cannot. Otherwise... well, it's not as though she's never talked to a guard before.

[roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-10-11, 11:51 PM
A pair of city guards passing by pause and look your way, one decides there’s more than just shadows, and blows his alarm whistle. “ I’ll give ‘em someone to chase. You get to the rear of the of the Dragon’s Tooth.” With that he breaks cover and runs off carrying whatever was handy. The guards thinking he’s a thief run after and don’t even search the area.
Through alleys and hiding behind any and everything you find yourself at the rear of the Dragon’s Tooth Inn. There are doors that open and lead to the basement where you’re met by a half-orc bar tender. He gives you the sign of the Third Eye and wait for your response.

Four holds her breath, but makes no additional effort to hide. If she is to remain unseen, it is only because she can see in the dark and the humans cannot. Otherwise... well, it's not as though she's never talked to a guard before.

[roll0]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-12, 12:19 AM
"Of course. However, I could just-"

But it was too late. Four's handler had a clear priority: get Four to the drop point without her being seen. This plan did that, and to him, it seems that nothing else mattered. It's probably for the best, anyway. As a human, the man wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble once the guards caught up with him. His only crime was existing in an alleyway, after all. Granted, it was Four's only crime, too, but...

Anyway, the Dragon's Tooth. Four holds up three fingers to match the signal she's seen the other rebels throwing around. She recognizes it as the gesture most people use to indicate that they need three of something. It seems silly, but at least it's innocuous.

ahyangyi
2017-10-12, 03:43 AM
Once the area is silent again Simalim begins crawling further and further through the tunnel-like opening until it opens into a a larger cavity. There are six metal plates, not much larger than the tunnel –way you just through but you still can’t stand. He removes a glove a feels each plate, the first three causing him to grimish in pain, as do the last two. Then he begin prying the forth plate off with his knife revealing and unused chimney. Inside hangs a knotted rope, he lays on his back and shuffle in and up. Staying low you cross the pitched and tiled roof to the near end; there a ladder await you descent. Below is a cloaked figure.

Simalim gives the sign and motions you down; then you see the young elven girl that will be you new guide. “There is trouble afoot.” She warns, “So we’ll have to move quickly and in the shadows.” With that she turns and heads into the darkness of the nearby alley. <Stealth check >

"That explains why Rectar didn't allow me to bring my holy symbol. It seems I need to sneak for some time." Aroswav thought.
He tries to move in the darkness, though he is not proficient at it.

OOC: Can we assume we have prepared some spells beforehand? EDIT: Well I guess that's nearly impossible without spell components and divine focus anyway. I guess I can use my domain powers in an emergency though.

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-12, 01:25 PM
At the bottom of the tree Krug is met by stranger, and they stare at each other for a long moment. Finally Krug forms a circle with his thumb and index finger and places them on his forehead. The stranger does likewise and Krug swiftly draws his dagger and slices his throat. He drags the body behind some bushes as he motions you down. Krug whispers; “The chain is broken, we’re in much danger now.” Looking about heads into a nearby alley, and motions you to follow. <Stealth check>

Bending his head to the side in the body-language accepted to show questioning the gardener questions that is happening.

Following his guide into the ally he crouches, prepares to hide, and keeps watch for smallish holes he can squeeze through in an emergancy.

[roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-10-12, 07:04 PM
Through alleys and hiding behind any and everything, you find yourself at the rear of the Dragon Tooth Inn. There are doors that open and lead to the basement where you’re met by a half-orc bar tender. He gives you and Krug the sign of the Third Eye and wait for your response. Krug immediately gives the sign.
“Krug, why you here?” the bartender asks.
“We have a spy, the chain is broken.” Krug answers.
They quickly swing a set of shelves away from the wall revealing a tunnel and the bartender tells you…
“In the woods, beneath the shining knool of the first rays.
Behind that which bleeds, is the door to freedom.
Remember the sign, trust only the Third Eye.”

Bending his head to the side in the body-language accepted to show questioning the gardener questions that is happening.

Following his guide into the ally he crouches, prepares to hide, and keeps watch for smallish holes he can squeeze through in an emergancy.

[roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-10-12, 07:19 PM
Question: what was result of your Stealth check roll?

She leads you through back alleys and deserted shops, stopping to take note of the guard routes. You here her mumble several times that it’s not good, and you find yourselves backtracking and taking a different direction.

"That explains why Rectar didn't allow me to bring my holy symbol. It seems I need to sneak for some time." Aroswav thought.
He tries to move in the darkness, though he is not proficient at it.

OOC: Can we assume we have prepared some spells beforehand? EDIT: Well I guess that's nearly impossible without spell components and divine focus anyway. I guess I can use my domain powers in an emergency though.

Gypsy52
2017-10-12, 07:26 PM
He nods as if accepting the fate of your guide and swings a set of shelves away from the wall revealing a tunnel and tells you…

"Of course. However, I could just-"

But it was too late. Four's handler had a clear priority: get Four to the drop point without her being seen. This plan did that, and to him, it seems that nothing else mattered. It's probably for the best, anyway. As a human, the man wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble once the guards caught up with him. His only crime was existing in an alleyway, after all. Granted, it was Four's only crime, too, but...

Anyway, the Dragon's Tooth. Four holds up three fingers to match the signal she's seen the other rebels throwing around. She recognizes it as the gesture most people use to indicate that they need three of something. It seems silly, but at least it's innocuous.

Triskavanski
2017-10-12, 09:30 PM
Your human guide smiles in your attempt at the sign, he reaches up and corrects your fingers… thumb and little finger touching, and rather awkward position. Then he whisper; “To freedom!”
The Halfling now turns and leads you toward and abandoned warehouse, but at approaching its walls he opens a trap door and you go underground and into and tunnel system below. There must be eight tunnels converging here, but somehow he knows which one to take. And before long you emerge through and secret passage in someone’s basement.
“Now comes the hard part. We must get to the Dragon’s Tooth on the other side of the main square.”

Ted blinks, starting at the Halfling then looking about to see what the the Dragon's tooth was suppose to be. "Uh.. so we walk to it?" he asks, rubbing his head, trying to figure out where the hard part comes in... and what he could really do against it.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-12, 11:07 PM

"...I see."

Four bows as though accepting an order and proceeds into the tunnel without wasting any more time. Somewhere in her critical mind, she wonders what the Third Eye hopes to accomplish with the riddle. If some third party overhears, surely it would be as useful to them as it would to herself. Perhaps it's to avoid giving the orcish attendant too much information about the puzzle's layout or location, lest they be interrogated later.

She can only hope that she will be up to the task of maintaining these protocols when this becomes her job.

As Four proceeds down the tunnel, the bookshelf behind her no doubt closes in short order. If it does not, or if it re-opens, that would be awfully suspicious.

Gypsy52
2017-10-13, 01:09 AM
The halfling taps you and points up the street at a pair of guards on patrol, then another pair, and then a third. “Too many patrols tonight to risk the run.” He takes you out of the basement through a narrow crawl and into the alley. <Stealth check>

Ted blinks, starting at the Halfling then looking about to see what the the Dragon's tooth was suppose to be. "Uh.. so we walk to it?" he asks, rubbing his head, trying to figure out where the hard part comes in... and what he could really do against it.

Gypsy52
2017-10-13, 01:45 AM
Once inside the tunnel, the entrance is again closed and you walk through the darkness of the tunnel until only your heart beat breaks the silence. But then as you begin to feel this may have been a trap there’s a ladder. Climbing the ladder you arrive in a half-broken down animal shed. You can see the lights of the guard towers in the distance (E), in the moonglow you see the woodline is only a hundred or so feet in the other direction (W).

"...I see."

Four bows as though accepting an order and proceeds into the tunnel without wasting any more time. Somewhere in her critical mind, she wonders what the Third Eye hopes to accomplish with the riddle. If some third party overhears, surely it would be as useful to them as it would to herself. Perhaps it's to avoid giving the orcish attendant too much information about the puzzle's layout or location, lest they be interrogated later.

She can only hope that she will be up to the task of maintaining these protocols when this becomes her job.

As Four proceeds down the tunnel, the bookshelf behind her no doubt closes in short order. If it does not, or if it re-opens, that would be awfully suspicious.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-13, 11:19 AM
Four peeks cautiously from the modified chicken coop. Even with the guard towers so far behind her, crossing 100 feet of open terrain as an obvious escapee seems bad. Luckily, she has a pretty good answer for this.

She retreats down the ladder, casts her spell and returns to the surface wearing the illusory uniform of a human herbalist before proceeding woodsward.

Gypsy52
2017-10-13, 07:36 PM
Four reaches the relative safety and cover of the woods without incident, now what was that riddle?

Four peeks cautiously from the modified chicken coop. Even with the guard towers so far behind her, crossing 100 feet of open terrain as an obvious escapee seems bad. Luckily, she has a pretty good answer for this.

She retreats down the ladder, casts her spell and returns to the surface wearing the illusory uniform of a human herbalist before proceeding woodsward.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-13, 09:12 PM
Assuming that, "first rays," meant the Eastern edge of the forest - that is, the edge facing both the sunrise and the watchtowers - there should be some kind of... "knool?" Four should probably have asked what a knool was. She's 90% sure that it's not a word in Common. Well, hopefully it won't be a big deal. She looks up as she stalks the tree line, trying to find any overhanging or bleeding landmarks the puzzle may be referring to.

Gypsy52
2017-10-14, 09:42 PM
This is something I don't do very often, so don't rely on them.
<LUCK roll> roll an unmodified d20 and hope for big numbers.
​Your challenge is: [roll0]

Assuming that, "first rays," meant the Eastern edge of the forest - that is, the edge facing both the sunrise and the watchtowers - there should be some kind of... "knool?" Four should probably have asked what a knool was. She's 90% sure that it's not a word in Common. Well, hopefully it won't be a big deal. She looks up as she stalks the tree line, trying to find any overhanging or bleeding landmarks the puzzle may be referring to.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-14, 09:48 PM
Though she may be a fugitive, Four is not content to continue skulking about like one. Such behavior would be considered suspicious even for a legitimate herbalist. If for some reason an enemy is searching the woods this far from the towers, she will give them no good reason to question her motives. (Disguise: [roll0])

Four has never been much for the wild outdoors. Most Pelayans aren't. It doesn't help that she doesn't quite know what she's looking for out here, puzzle-wise... even trees can be said to bleed after a fashion, as can dyed wool. She goes over the riddle again in her head, particularly the way it was presented. Where was the attendant trying to lead her? (Sense Motive: [roll1])

She continues searching the Eastern edge of the woods. Her eyes are unimpeded by the dark, but that doesn't mean she's perfect at noticing everything she sees. She needs to try at least a couple more times before giving up, even if she has to refresh her disguise spell. (Perception: 7(OOC), [roll2], [roll3])

ahyangyi
2017-10-15, 02:57 AM
I didn't roll. I was considering whether I can cast a spell to help myself.
Stealth:
[roll0]

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-15, 02:18 PM
Through alleys and hiding behind any and everything, you find yourself at the rear of the Dragon Tooth Inn. There are doors that open and lead to the basement where you’re met by a half-orc bar tender. He gives you and Krug the sign of the Third Eye and wait for your response. Krug immediately gives the sign.
“Krug, why you here?” the bartender asks.
“We have a spy, the chain is broken.” Krug answers.
They quickly swing a set of shelves away from the wall revealing a tunnel and the bartender tells you…

The gardener nods and mimics the sign to show his understanding. After this he heads into the tunnel. He muses on the exact meaning of the third eye symbol considering how most beings prefer to vocalise to communicate, and yet these sign much like his people. Likely something to with referencing their affiliation.

Assuming he comes to the woods without issue he then crawls up into the boughs to travel, stretching from tree-to-tree as easily as walking.

Gypsy52
2017-10-15, 02:57 PM
Once inside the tunnel, the entrance is again closed and you walk through the darkness of the tunnel until it feels this may have been a trap, there’s a ladder. Climbing the ladder you arrive in a half-broken down animal shed; the dirt and grasses have been recently distrubed. You can see the lights of the guard towers in the distance (E), in the moonglow you see the woodline is only a hundred or so feet in the other direction (W).

The gardener nods and mimics the sign to show his understanding. After this he heads into the tunnel. He muses on the exact meaning of the third eye symbol considering how most beings prefer to vocalise to communicate, and yet these sign much like his people. Likely something to with referencing their affiliation.

Assuming he comes to the woods without issue he then crawls up into the boughs to travel, stretching from tree-to-tree as easily as walking.

Gypsy52
2017-10-15, 03:13 PM
QUESTION: What do you have in mind? You're in control of your character!

I didn't roll. I was considering whether I can cast a spell to help myself.
Stealth:
[roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-10-15, 03:44 PM
In rethinking way the riddle, she can on surmise it would be to avoid providing an exacting map to the next station. So Four continue her disguise and search hoping for a clue to help her. Then she come to a strange carving on a tree; a circle with a three lines. The lines are tilted and pointed toward the woods away from the woodline.

Though she may be a fugitive, Four is not content to continue skulking about like one. Such behavior would be considered suspicious even for a legitimate herbalist. If for some reason an enemy is searching the woods this far from the towers, she will give them no good reason to question her motives. (Disguise: [roll0])

Four has never been much for the wild outdoors. Most Pelayans aren't. It doesn't help that she doesn't quite know what she's looking for out here, puzzle-wise... even trees can be said to bleed after a fashion, as can dyed wool. She goes over the riddle again in her head, particularly the way it was presented. Where was the attendant trying to lead her? (Sense Motive: [roll1])

She continues searching the Eastern edge of the woods. Her eyes are unimpeded by the dark, but that doesn't mean she's perfect at noticing everything she sees. She needs to try at least a couple more times before giving up, even if she has to refresh her disguise spell. (Perception: 7(OOC), [roll2], [roll3])

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-15, 03:59 PM
Encouraged by the marker, Four proceeds on a straight line into the woods.

Triskavanski
2017-10-17, 11:54 AM
Ted gives a soft sigh, as he begins to float a little off the ground as it was so much effort to walk and sneak around at the same time. Slowly he drifts down the way, trying to avoid the gaze of the guard, cause as much of a pain sneaking off was getting caught was a bigger pain.

[roll0]

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-17, 02:28 PM
Once inside the tunnel, the entrance is again closed and you walk through the darkness of the tunnel until it feels this may have been a trap, there’s a ladder. Climbing the ladder you arrive in a half-broken down animal shed; the dirt and grasses have been recently distrubed. You can see the lights of the guard towers in the distance (E), in the moonglow you see the woodline is only a hundred or so feet in the other direction (W).

Focussed on the matter at hand the gardener takes a look at the disturbed earth to see what did it. To avoid leaving tracks he scales the walls if able and peeks out the door to check if anyone is patrolling or any other signs of life.

Next up he lies low and does his best attempt at creeping to the treeline, trusting his memories of servants needing to bring lanterns as he watched them walk the gardens rather than see by moonlight.

Roll to check the disturbed earth (What Skill? Knowledge Dungeoneering is +5, Knowledge Nature is +6, Survival is +7): [roll0]

Perception to check for danger: [roll1]

Stealth: [roll2]

Gypsy52
2017-10-17, 09:57 PM
Following in the general direction of the carving you arrive at a series of small wooded hills. Most are covered in trees and most have rock formations on or about them. It’s still about another hour before day break .

Encouraged by the marker, Four proceeds on a straight line into the woods.

Gypsy52
2017-10-17, 10:11 PM
A pair of city guards passing by pause and look your way, but then continue, satisfied it was only lights and shadows. You work your way around to the rear of the Dragon’s Tooth Inn and to the doors that open and lead to the basement; there you’re met by a half-orc bar tender. He gives you the sign of the Third Eye and wait for your response. The halfling signs back and the quickly swing a set of shelves away from the wall revealing a tunnel. The half-orc tells you…
“In the woods, beneath the shining knoll of the first rays.

Ted gives a soft sigh, as he begins to float a little off the ground as it was so much effort to walk and sneak around at the same time. Slowly he drifts down the way, trying to avoid the gaze of the guard, cause as much of a pain sneaking off was getting caught was a bigger pain.

[roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-10-17, 10:36 PM
The tracks appear to have been quite recently made by someone wearing soft, house-boots. And the strange thing is they don’t seem to have come in but to have appeared and then left. As you continue to look about for clues and dangers there are no signs of patrols as yet, only the lights on the guard towers to the east. You have no problem creeping or crawling toward the treeline and reach its safety and cover.

BTW: I took the survival check for the tracking ability.

Focussed on the matter at hand the gardener takes a look at the disturbed earth to see what did it. To avoid leaving tracks he scales the walls if able and peeks out the door to check if anyone is patrolling or any other signs of life.

Next up he lies low and does his best attempt at creeping to the treeline, trusting his memories of servants needing to bring lanterns as he watched them walk the gardens rather than see by moonlight.

Roll to check the disturbed earth (What Skill? Knowledge Dungeoneering is +5, Knowledge Nature is +6, Survival is +7): [roll0]

Perception to check for danger: [roll1]

ahyangyi
2017-10-18, 12:26 PM
QUESTION: What do you have in mind? You're in control of your character!

(OOC)
The problem seems that my character sheet was actually incomplete. I filled it in now.

Aroswav has the following level-0 and level-1 spells prepared.
Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance, Create Water, Bless, Obscuring Mist, Sanctuary, Deathwatch (domain spell)
(OOC ends here)

Aroswav gave a silent prayer to Tsukiyo for darkness to hide him, while trying to hide himself while moving.

(stealth is already rolled)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-18, 08:49 PM
Oh, hey, landmarks!

Trying her best to go along with her primary clue, Four examines the Easternmost hill first, trying to find either another eye symbol or anything that might relate to the Thing That Bleeds line.

Gypsy52
2017-10-18, 09:41 PM
:smallcool: Your pray has been answered. It's night and even though there's a clear sky and a bright moon the building are providing considerable shadow.

A pair of city guards passing by pause and look your way, but then continue, satisfied it was only lights and shadows. Then through a garbage and drainage ditch you have to crawl like a snake to finally be on the side of the Commons as the Dragon’s Tooth. You eventually find yourself at the rear of the Dragon’s Tooth Inn, there are doors that open and lead to the basement where you’re met by a half-orc, apparently a bar tender. He gives you the sign of the Third Eye and await for your response which your guide quickly returns. He swings a set of shelves away from the wall revealing a tunnel and tells you…

(OOC)
The problem seems that my character sheet was actually incomplete. I filled it in now.

Aroswav has the following level-0 and level-1 spells prepared.
Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance, Create Water, Bless, Obscuring Mist, Sanctuary, Deathwatch (domain spell)
(OOC ends here)

Aroswav gave a silent prayer to Tsukiyo for darkness to hide him, while trying to hide himself while moving.

(stealth is already rolled)

Gypsy52
2017-10-18, 09:53 PM
Moving about the hills you find no more sign, but do find plenty of dead rose bushes that soon have your hands and legs bleeding. But is this relative to the riddle? Is this the correct knoll?

The sun breaks and a beam lights up a nearby barren hill and a rock formation… red roses.

Oh, hey, landmarks!

Trying her best to go along with her primary clue, Four examines the Easternmost hill first, trying to find either another eye symbol or anything that might relate to the Thing That Bleeds line.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-18, 10:20 PM
Ugh. Who planted these here? Well, probably no one. Roses do grow in the wild right? Four doesn't know.

She winces, but she's tough enough to take the little cuts in continued silence. It'll take more than thorns to bleed her out. Still, it probably counts... and on the first light, no less...

Four approaches the newly-lit rock formation and looks behind it. Her first thought is that the symbol will be around somewhere, and she's wary of any path that doesn't directly feature it. This feels like it's going to be some kind of Simon Says scenario.

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-19, 01:05 PM
The tracks appear to have been quite recently made by someone wearing soft, house-boots. And the strange thing is they don’t seem to have come in but to have appeared and then left. As you continue to look about for clues and dangers there are no signs of patrols as yet, only the lights on the guard towers to the east. You have no problem creeping or crawling toward the treeline and reach its safety and cover.

BTW: I took the survival check for the tracking ability.

'Strange.' thinks the gardener looking at the tracks. Perhaps one of his kind came through.

Now up in the trees the gardener climbs deeper until safe from prying eyes so that he may focus on his target. With the mention of light he stares further up and then to the top of the tallest tree, if still staying hidden. from his vantage point he should be safe from most forest predators short of a bear deciding to join him.

The gardener looks out for any lights or especially reflective surfaces making themselves known.

Next up he focuses on the other major detail that indicates his destination, and tries to recall of any fluid-leaking flora, fungi, or other phenomena in the region. Additionally he spares a but of thought to any 'third eye' symbolism found among any local plants, as the apparent sign may be hidden in such.

Perception to spot whatever 'shining knool of the first rays' may refer to: [roll0]

Knowledge (Nature) on fluid-producing plants or those that can otherwise be described as 'bleeding': [roll1]

Knowledge (Nature) on plants with a 'third eye' symbolism: [roll2]

Gypsy52
2017-10-19, 04:55 PM
OOC: First my apology for failing to correct a spelling error that I sent you; half-orc bartender has a strange accent :smallbiggrin: and it affected my typing as well. The word "knool" should actually be spelled "knoll"
(as in a small rolling hill).

IC: In the tree you have no worry of predators, and the boot tracks had lead off along the edge of the treeline. However, from this vantage it's hard to see anything of the terrain below as the tree completely obscure your vision. There are some local plant species that have reference to bleeding, either that they themselves bleed, or that they have curative properties for bleeding. But no plants known as Third Eye, but some that do have the word Eye in their name (ie. Buck Eye, Black Eyed Susan, etc.)

'Strange.' thinks the gardener looking at the tracks. Perhaps one of his kind came through.

Now up in the trees the gardener climbs deeper until safe from prying eyes so that he may focus on his target. With the mention of light he stares further up and then to the top of the tallest tree, if still staying hidden. from his vantage point he should be safe from most forest predators short of a bear deciding to join him.

The gardener looks out for any lights or especially reflective surfaces making themselves known.

Next up he focuses on the other major detail that indicates his destination, and tries to recall of any fluid-leaking flora, fungi, or other phenomena in the region. Additionally he spares a but of thought to any 'third eye' symbolism found among any local plants, as the apparent sign may be hidden in such.

Perception to spot whatever 'shining knool of the first rays' may refer to: [roll0]

Knowledge (Nature) on fluid-producing plants or those that can otherwise be described as 'bleeding': [roll1]

Knowledge (Nature) on plants with a 'third eye' symbolism: [roll2]

Gypsy52
2017-10-19, 05:08 PM
Pushing her way through the entangled rose bush, Four finds a small cave opening; the dirt here is well disturbed. The cave is low but not cramped, and goes back a goodly distance before turning.

Ugh. Who planted these here? Well, probably no one. Roses do grow in the wild right? Four doesn't know.

She winces, but she's tough enough to take the little cuts in continued silence. It'll take more than thorns to bleed her out. Still, it probably counts... and on the first light, no less...

Four approaches the newly-lit rock formation and looks behind it. Her first thought is that the symbol will be around somewhere, and she's wary of any path that doesn't directly feature it. This feels like it's going to be some kind of Simon Says scenario.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-19, 11:17 PM
How inviting! This would obviously make it a trap, if the rumors about the Third Eye are to be believed. They are, of course, paranoid anarchists. Four spent enough time spreading the propaganda herself that the idea is still pretty ingrained.

She stands at the cave entrance for a moment, examining the walls, floor, ceiling, anything in range of her darkvision for the sign. The poem said not to trust anything else, and she doesn't intend to.

...she doesn't see it? Hmm.

Well, on the other hand, it could be that the last line refers to another piece of the puzzle that lies further down the path. I mean, having one right here would have made me feel a lot better, but, you know, don't want to give it away to any random human passerby. I guess.

There's a reason Four usually keeps her thoughts to herself.

She proceeds inside, contorting her hand in the proper salute to assuage any unseen observers. Her disguise most likely wore off a while ago, but at this point that probably doesn't matter.

Gypsy52
2017-10-20, 01:33 AM
Once inside the cave begins to open up and standing is possible, you can now get a better idea of the size. The ceiling is now about 8’, the cave is about 20’ wide, and extends back from the entrance around 120’; where it make a sharp turn to the right. At that point it progresses another 60’ feet before ending in a solid wall. Against the back wall are several trunks and chests, arms and clothing racks, barrels of water, and crates of hard rations; most anything a traveler or adventurer would need. On the wall above the supplies is a painting depicting a face with its eyes closed, but an additional open eye has been added to the forehead that sees everything. A note rest on the water barrel; “Take only what you need – others follow.”

How inviting! This would obviously make it a trap, if the rumors about the Third Eye are to be believed. They are, of course, paranoid anarchists. Four spent enough time spreading the propaganda herself that the idea is still pretty ingrained.

She stands at the cave entrance for a moment, examining the walls, floor, ceiling, anything in range of her darkvision for the sign. The poem said not to trust anything else, and she doesn't intend to.

...she doesn't see it? Hmm.

Well, on the other hand, it could be that the last line refers to another piece of the puzzle that lies further down the path. I mean, having one right here would have made me feel a lot better, but, you know, don't want to give it away to any random human passerby. I guess.

There's a reason Four usually keeps her thoughts to herself.

She proceeds inside, contorting her hand in the proper salute to assuage any unseen observers. Her disguise most likely wore off a while ago, but at this point that probably doesn't matter.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-20, 03:54 PM
So, the path to freedom leads to a simple supply cache. It makes a certain poetic sense, if only she knew how to survive on her own. Actually, it's probably even more poetic that she doesn't.

Four looks up at the painting. The third eye seems to be watching over the room, rather than directing her to anything in particular. Can she trust everything in the room, then? Or just the painting itself?

I'm such an idiot... this would have been as straightforward as could be if I had simply followed instructions rather than assuming they were throwing riddles at me. I just need to wait for the next member of the Eye to arrive. Can I handle that?

Frustrated with herself, Four turns her attention to getting the blood off of her legs as she stands in wait. The stockings of her standard Female Intermediate uniform are torn and stained, but her magic can take care of that.

Gypsy52
2017-10-21, 02:15 AM
SNARL (Xylodrizzt)

Biggar and Gemlor walk into the main market area, all that’s still open are the taverns, so Biggar starts acting like most any other drunk, stumbling about and leaning against Snarl; but all the while heading toward the Dragon’s Tooth Inn. There’s a guard at the door that pushes you both away telling you to go elsewhere to sleep because the place is full; Biggar bounces off the wall and the two of you head around the corner to the rear.

There are doors that open and lead to the basement where you’re met by a half-orc bar tender. He gives you the sign of the Third Eye and wait for your response. Biggar returns the sign and a set of shelves are pulled away from the wall revealing a tunnel, the half-orc tells you…

Biggar looks about the garden and heads for the gates, the iron squeak as it moved. The two men stepped outside and into the city streets. No one, not even the city guards would be expecting this escape; afterall Biggar wasn’t wanted for anything, and as long as no one recognizes his companion… <Disguise check>

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-21, 01:48 PM
OOC: First my apology for failing to correct a spelling error that I sent you; half-orc bartender has a strange accent :smallbiggrin: and it affected my typing as well. The word "knool" should actually be spelled "knoll"
(as in a small rolling hill).

IC: In the tree you have no worry of predators, and the boot tracks had lead off along the edge of the treeline. However, from this vantage it's hard to see anything of the terrain below as the tree completely obscure your vision. There are some local plant species that have reference to bleeding, either that they themselves bleed, or that they have curative properties for bleeding. But no plants known as Third Eye, but some that do have the word Eye in their name (ie. Buck Eye, Black Eyed Susan, etc.)

Seeing nothing at this minute the gardener descends and continues climbing through the woods, trying to keep to something of a path if available. Hopefully something will make itself known.

Perception for anything of note: [roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-10-21, 07:35 PM
Continuing inward on a general westward trek , the sun has just broken over the trees , Gardener comes upon a grouping of small hills. There’s nothing remarkable about them except the one without trees is lit more than the others.

Seeing nothing at this minute the gardener descends and continues climbing through the woods, trying to keep to something of a path if available. Hopefully something will make itself known.

Perception for anything of note: [roll0]

Triskavanski
2017-10-22, 06:19 PM
A pair of city guards passing by pause and look your way, but then continue, satisfied it was only lights and shadows. You work your way around to the rear of the Dragon’s Tooth Inn and to the doors that open and lead to the basement; there you’re met by a half-orc bar tender. He gives you the sign of the Third Eye and wait for your response. The halfling signs back and the quickly swing a set of shelves away from the wall revealing a tunnel. The half-orc tells you…

Ted silently stares at the halfling, before looking towards the tunnel "So.. go that way?" he asks before starting to drift towards the tunnel, trying to figure out what the riddle thing was about from the half-orc. Maybe it was a bleeding door or something with three eyes.

Gypsy52
2017-10-22, 07:48 PM
As you start to enter the tunnel, and the door is almost closed behind you it’s suddenly reopened and you hear the riddle repeated. .. twice.

Ted silently stares at the halfling, before looking towards the tunnel "So.. go that way?" he asks before starting to drift towards the tunnel, trying to figure out what the riddle thing was about from the half-orc. Maybe it was a bleeding door or something with three eyes.

Gypsy52
2017-10-22, 07:54 PM
AROSWAVE (Ahyangyi)

As you start to enter the tunnel, and the door is almost closed behind you it’s suddenly reopened and you hear the riddle repeated. .. there’s someone else here already as well.

Gypsy52
2017-10-22, 07:56 PM
SNARL (Xylodrizzt)

As you enter the tunnel Biggar calls out, “Hurry, morning approaches.” The door is closed behind you and you realize you are not alone!

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-23, 03:03 PM
Continuing inward on a general westward trek , the sun has just broken over the trees , Gardener comes upon a grouping of small hills. There’s nothing remarkable about them except the one without trees is lit more than the others.

The gardener descends and heads to the treeless hill. He circles it a few times, looking around before checking the hill itself, going so far as to dig on top to see if anything happens. He was explicitly told something was beneath the hill after all.

Perception: [roll0]

Strength check to dig: [roll1]

Gypsy52
2017-10-23, 06:43 PM
While circling the hill you stumble into massive entanglement of wild, red roses. You recall seeing other rose bush clusters, but none were in bloom.

The gardener descends and heads to the treeless hill. He circles it a few times, looking around before checking the hill itself, going so far as to dig on top to see if anything happens. He was explicitly told something was beneath the hill after all.

Strength check to dig: [roll1]

ahyangyi
2017-10-24, 01:38 PM
A natural reaction for Aroswav is to try to hide himself, which is probably both unneeded and impossible in a tunnel.

Aroswav looks back, and sees a weird plant-like monster dwarf. The said monsterdwarf does have a third eye sign with it though.

As the riddle said, "Remember the sign, trust only the Third Eye".

There's no choice for Aroswav but to trust the stranger.

"It seems we now have company." Aroswav says to the plant-like monster dwarf, and introduces himself, "Call me Aroswav."

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-25, 01:17 PM
While circling the hill you stumble into massive entanglement of wild, red roses. You recall seeing other rose bush clusters, but none were in bloom.

Figuring the roses as the only thing of note, and between colour and thorns can certainly 'bleed', the gardener stands atop the hill to orientate himself.

He thinks on the directions given. 'beneath the shining knoll of the first rays.' The hill. Here.

'Behind that which bleeds, is the door to freedom.' The blooming roses. The way is either past or around them. After investigating the roses for something he may have missed the gardener proceeds to travel past the roses, away from the hill and to his destination.

'But first' he thinks to himself before doubling back a step, picking a rose-bloom, and stuffing it whole into his mouth. He proceeds to use his tongues to rasp it to floral paste, savouring the taste on the journey.

Finally he seeks the 'Third Eye' that is apparently going to be there to trust.

Gypsy52
2017-10-25, 04:51 PM
Moving the roses about to pick a savory, choice blossom at the rear that has been protected; Gardener sees something out of place. There’s an opening between the rocks and some of the branches have been recently broken and have fresh blood on the thorns.

Figuring the roses as the only thing of note, and between colour and thorns can certainly 'bleed', the gardener stands atop the hill to orientate himself.

He thinks on the directions given. 'beneath the shining knoll of the first rays.' The hill. Here.

'Behind that which bleeds, is the door to freedom.' The blooming roses. The way is either past or around them. After investigating the roses for something he may have missed the gardener proceeds to travel past the roses, away from the hill and to his destination.

'But first' he thinks to himself before doubling back a step, picking a rose-bloom, and stuffing it whole into his mouth. He proceeds to use his tongues to rasp it to floral paste, savouring the taste on the journey.

Finally he seeks the 'Third Eye' that is apparently going to be there to trust.

ThreadNecro5
2017-10-27, 01:16 PM
Moving the roses about to pick a savory, choice blossom at the rear that has been protected; Gardener sees something out of place. There’s an opening between the rocks and some of the branches have been recently broken and have fresh blood on the thorns.

Spotting what is most likely his destination the gardener proceeds to squeeze through the opening with remarkably (some would say disturbingly) little difficulty for something his size as he progresses towards his destination.

Perception (if needed): [roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-10-29, 09:30 PM
Once through the opening, it become a full sized cave extending back some 100’ or so before breaking to the right. At that point it progresses another 60’ feet before ending in a solid wall. Against the back wall are several trunks and chests, arms and clothing racks, barrels of water, and crates of hard rations; most anything a traveler or adventurer would need. On the wall above the supplies is a painting depicting a face with its eyes closed, but an additional open eye has been added to the forehead that sees everything.

There’s someone else standing there as well!

Spotting what is most likely his destination the gardener proceeds to squeeze through the opening with remarkably (some would say disturbingly) little difficulty for something his size as he progresses towards his destination.

Perception (if needed): [roll0]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-29, 10:19 PM
Four used her cantrip to clean herself up a little while ago and has since just been kind of standing around waiting. She raises the familiar third eye salute in an attempt to adhere to protocol.

"Greetings, traveler. Welcome to the path to freedom."

ThreadNecro5
2017-11-02, 03:17 PM
Once through the opening, it become a full sized cave extending back some 100’ or so before breaking to the right. At that point it progresses another 60’ feet before ending in a solid wall. Against the back wall are several trunks and chests, arms and clothing racks, barrels of water, and crates of hard rations; most anything a traveler or adventurer would need. On the wall above the supplies is a painting depicting a face with its eyes closed, but an additional open eye has been added to the forehead that sees everything.

There’s someone else standing there as well!

Seeing the stranger the gardener preforms the 'third eye' gesture he has seen. To reinforce his lack of hostility he follows it with a polite wave. That was what these people do to greet yes?

After a moments consideration, approaching cautiously all the while, he decides to check if the stranger knows the signs used by his kind. It was rare to teach a non-Lafe but who knows.

The gardener reaches out to the strangers mind for but a second delivering the momentary wordless noise that signified the individual being spoken to. 'Can you understand this?' he signs.

The gardener uses his telepathy on the stranger to deliver the equivalent to a grunt of acknowledgement before checking if they can understand the sign-language Lafe use.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-02, 10:57 PM
Four watches the Lafe's hand movements with interest, but doesn't understand them at all. It never really occurred to her to pick it up. To Four's understanding, Lafe prefer to keep the language as something of a family secret.

In any case, she gives her usual bow in greeting. This will be easier now that some degree of trust has been established. "I do not speak sign language, unfortunately. Do you speak common?"

Gypsy52
2017-11-03, 01:35 AM
GM OOC: Guess I'll have to release the trolls on the tunnel cleaning machines to get Aroswave, Ted, and Snarl moving. I'll repost the last entries and you can jump back in.

TED: As you start to enter the tunnel, and the door is almost closed behind you it’s suddenly reopened and you hear the riddle repeated. .. twice. (apparently two others entered behind you)

AROSWAVE: As you start to enter the tunnel, and the door is almost closed behind you it’s suddenly reopened and you hear the riddle repeated. .. there’s someone else here already as well.

A natural reaction for Aroswav is to try to hide himself, which is probably both unneeded and impossible in a tunnel. Aroswav looks back, and sees a dwarf. The said dwarf does have a third eye sign with it though. As the riddle said, "Remember the sign, trust only the Third Eye". There's no choice for Aroswav but to trust the stranger.
"It seems we now have company." Aroswav says to the dwarf, and introduces himself, "Call me Aroswav."

SNARL: As you enter the tunnel Biggar calls out, “Hurry, morning approaches.” The door is closed behind you and you realize you are not alone!

ahyangyi
2017-11-04, 12:42 PM
Aroswav

With his darkvision, Aroswav also notices a shadowy cat-like creature in front of him. Aroswav superficially connects the number three and the third eye symbol he is holding, concluding that the third eye probably mean that he shall have a team of three. Fortunately, this mistake will probably not negatively affect his actions.

He announces to the dwarf and the cat and showing the third eye sign, "I belong to the Third Eye. Are you my company?"

Triskavanski
2017-11-04, 01:13 PM
Ted

Ted turns around blinking as he watches for others following after him, giving a small wave to the people coming in. Confusion on his face, though he remains silent for a moment, staring at them before raising his hand up in a sloppy three eyed salute. "Hey.. I'm Ted."

ThreadNecro5
2017-11-04, 03:32 PM
Four watches the Lafe's hand movements with interest, but doesn't understand them at all. It never really occurred to her to pick it up. To Four's understanding, Lafe prefer to keep the language as something of a family secret.

In any case, she gives her usual bow in greeting. This will be easier now that some degree of trust has been established. "I do not speak sign language, unfortunately. Do you speak common?"

The gardener stands still for a short time, thinking. He decides communicating telepathically is the best option under these circumstances.

"Yes" he sends directly into Four's mind. "But talking as you do is considered vulgar by us. Uncomfortable too. This way too is also impolite to use excessively but I judge this falls under permitted circumstance. I will often remain quiet when I can".

He makes his way over to the supplies, first grabbing a warm-looking shirt that shouldn't be a problem when climbing before equipping himself with everything needed to carry everything he takes.

Appreciating his free hands he keeps talking as he packs. "There is no need to ask my name. Lafe have none. I was kept as a gardener for this last century and refed to as such when necessary. It will do if needed".

He packs a longbow, and quiver of arrows. Afterword he places a couple of daggers in his belt. Sized for the small ones. Lafe fists equal a blade but a human dagger makes a good tool. Other supplies. Rope. Sting. Flint and steel. Waterskin, make that two for his size. At least weeks rations for him should hunting go poorly. He thinks on his probable new companion.

"Can you hunt?" he asks.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-04, 09:12 PM
"I see... actually, with your permission:"

Four's hand makes a gesture as though she's plucking something from her throat and holding it up to her ear. "Bisik Pesannya. Is this better?"

Her lips are barely moving when she asks the follow-up question. It's not quite telepathy, but it's close.

"I cannot claim to be a hunter, no. I have never served outside an urban or agricultural environment."

ThreadNecro5
2017-11-06, 02:38 PM
"I see... actually, with your permission:"

Four's hand makes a gesture as though she's plucking something from her throat and holding it up to her ear. "Bisik Pesannya. Is this better?"

Her lips are barely moving when she asks the follow-up question. It's not quite telepathy, but it's close.

"I cannot claim to be a hunter, no. I have never served outside of urban or agricultural environment."

I'm assuming that is a Message spell being used?

The gardener grabs a little extra food in case Four didn't take enough.

"It is." he says. "I can find food if needed. Is there to be others or do we continue?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-06, 06:57 PM
Yes it is. :smalltongue:

"I think we can wait a little longer. Whoever prepared this space left this note saying to wait for others." Four gingerly picks up the slip of paper from a nearby barrel and hands it to Gardener. "It does not say how many, but I imagine more than one besides the reader."

ThreadNecro5
2017-11-08, 02:16 PM
Yes it is. :smalltongue:

"I think we can wait a little longer. Whoever prepared this space left this note saying to wait for others." Four gingerly picks up the slip of paper from a nearby barrel and hands it to Gardener. "It does not say how many, but I imagine more than one besides the reader."

The gardener read the note and nods, little else needing to be said.

With little else to do he curls up in the corner and waits, the giant somehow taking up less space than a human would.

Gypsy52
2017-11-08, 08:37 PM
Aroswave, Ted, and Snarl having somewhat introduced themselves in the tunnel continue to the end where they find a ladder leading up to a crude trap door. The smell of rotting hay and manure sits heavy in the warming air; its evident that the sun has risen.

Triskavanski
2017-11-08, 11:40 PM
Ted blinks between the two after he introduced himself and they talked back and forth between eachother.. In a rather... awkward way. At least for him where one talked and then stood staring at the other for a few moments before talking again.

Slowly he drifted behind them, lazily so.

ahyangyi
2017-11-14, 03:14 AM
"It seems our only way out is the trap door on the ladder. That said I don't think going out during the day is the best way to hide us. Judging by your looks you are both well adapted in the darkness too. So what about we go out tonight?" Aroswav suggests.

Triskavanski
2017-11-15, 08:34 AM
"Ah yeah.. going outside during the day is a pain." the lazy catguy says, nodding a little as he lets out a small yawn. "Maybe we should pick up a rock or something.."

Gypsy52
2017-11-16, 02:01 PM
Wandering about in the cave FOUR and GARDENER can see that it is obviously daylight outside and nobody in their right mind would try to complete the riddle now. They have provisions and weapons, now what do they do?

As the day progresses the three escapees in the tunnel hear movement above. At one point there are heavy pounding footfalls echoing on the trap door, as if a full company of soldiers were searching above. But then the fresh smell of cow dung and urine dripping through gives relief of the true source of the noise.

<FAST FORWARD> Darkness enters the forest first and the cave becomes eerie and still. Except for a small glowing stone at the furthest rear point, incorporated in the third-eye painting.

The sounds of the night-creatures alert AROSWAVE, TED, and SNARL that darkness has arrived, and perhaps it’s finally safe enough the climb out of the tunnel and continue their journey.

ThreadNecro5
2017-11-18, 03:02 PM
"It is just us." says the Gardener to Four using his telepathy. He does not budge from his spot, almost able to be mistook for sleeping.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-18, 05:07 PM
"It does seem that way," Four affirms as daylight encroaches on the stuffy supply cache. "This could be a problem. If we were supposed to meet someone during the night, then they didn't make it."

...and if she wanted to organize a resistance cell herself, she could have done it at home where she had more servitors to conspire with. As much as she desires freedom, being dumped in the wilderness with no goal in mind is pretty far outside her comfort zone.

"Of course, there are enough supplies here to last for weeks if need be, so it could be that we are meant to be gathering over the course of several nights. We could go out and scout around until nightfall if you would like, but any humans would be able to see us during the day."

ThreadNecro5
2017-11-20, 02:02 PM
"It does seem that way," Four affirms as daylight encroaches on the stuffy supply cache. "This could be a problem. If we were supposed to meet someone during the night, then they didn't make it."

...and if she wanted to organize a resistance cell herself, she could have done it at home where she had more servitors to conspire with. As much as she desires freedom, being dumped in the wilderness with no goal in mind is pretty far outside her comfort zone.

"Of course, there are enough supplies here to last for weeks if need be, so it could be that we are meant to be gathering over the course of several nights. We could go out and scout around until nightfall if you would like, but any humans would be able to see us during the day."

"Night would be better. I can see by a good moon, stay in the low branches." says the gardener, finding anything else unnecessary.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-20, 07:17 PM
"As you wish." In retrospect, that much was probably unnecessary, but the response is kind of a reflex at this point. "In the meantime, then, please keep watch for the next two hours while I rest."

Gypsy52
2017-11-21, 07:38 PM
<FAST FORWARD> Darkness enters the forest first and the cave becomes eerie and still. Except for a small glowing stone at the furthest rear point, incorporated in the third-eye painting.

The sounds of the night-creatures alert AROSWAVE, TED, and SNARL​that darkness has arrived above and perhaps it's finally safe enough to climb out of the tunnel and continue their journey.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-21, 09:38 PM
Four looks at the eye in the painting as the encroaching darkness makes it more apparent. She casts her cantrip again to address the big guy before he takes off to scout. "Gardener, could you reach up and try touching the eye-stone? It's probably just there as a night light, but considering the last line of the poem..."

ahyangyi
2017-11-22, 10:37 AM
"Let's move out." Aroswav says.

ThreadNecro5
2017-11-22, 02:10 PM
Four looks at the eye in the painting as the encroaching darkness makes it more apparent. She casts her cantrip again to address the big guy before he takes off to scout. "Gardener, could you reach up and try touching the eye-stone? It's probably just there as a night light, but considering the last line of the poem..."

The gardener wordlessly does as asked, outright climbing the cave wall if needed to reach the stone. Out of a measure of caution rather than prodding it directly he uses the blunt end of an arrow. After observing the effects of literally poking it with a stick he taps it himself assuming it shows no sign of damaging the arrow.

After this he moves onto his own inspection of the painting, flipping the arrow around in his had and thrusting the point forward through the edge of whatever the painting is painted on. After punching through he uses whatever wiggle room is left with the arrow to feel around the back of the painting, primarily checking for a tunnel.

'Meant to try this.' He thinks to himself.

ahyangyi
2017-11-23, 09:38 PM
Aroswav moves out using the ladders. Will his two companions follow him? What does he see in the outside?

Triskavanski
2017-11-23, 11:33 PM
Ted follows after Arowave, as he slowly nods. He was not one to do too much in the effort of getting things done. Expend the least to profit the most was his motto.

Gypsy52
2017-11-27, 03:34 PM
The stone appears to be loose, but not to the extent of being removable, only turnable.

The gardener wordlessly does as asked, outright climbing the cave wall if needed to reach the stone. Out of a measure of caution rather than prodding it directly he uses the blunt end of an arrow. After observing the effects of literally poking it with a stick he taps it himself assuming it shows no sign of damaging the arrow.

After this he moves onto his own inspection of the painting, flipping the arrow around in his had and thrusting the point forward through the edge of whatever the painting is painted on. After punching through he uses whatever wiggle room is left with the arrow to feel around the back of the painting, primarily checking for a tunnel.

'Meant to try this.' He thinks to himself.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-27, 05:37 PM
Four has to lean over a chest and crane her neck to see what the heck the Lafe is doing up there. For all his camouflage-hunter grace, his huge frame still makes for a better door than a window.

"What is it? Is it some kind of switch, or a doorknob?"

A big part of Four wants to chastise the gardener for cutting up a perfectly good painting, but if we're looking for secret switches we might as well be thorough. Four can mend the canvas later anyway.

Gypsy52
2017-11-28, 06:38 PM
OOC-FYI: The painting is directly onto the rear-most cave wall; not on canvas, unless you want to count solid rock a type of canvas for artistic purposes. :smallsmile:

Four has to lean over a chest and crane her neck to see what the heck the Lafe is doing up there. For all his camouflage-hunter grace, his huge frame still makes for a better door than a window.

A big part of Four wants to chastise the gardener for cutting up a perfectly good painting, but if we're looking for secret switches we might as well be thorough. Four can mend the canvas later anyway.

ThreadNecro5
2017-11-29, 03:31 PM

His arrow glances off when he stabs the painting. Stone, huh.

He simply shrugs to Four's question and continues to test the articulation on the stone, turning it however it allows.

Gypsy52
2017-12-03, 02:21 AM
The stone allows itself to be rotated counter-clockwise only a quarter turn, then a small notch appears that it slides into. That's when something happens within the cave itself... the largest of the trunks suddenly slides to one side and reveals a narrow crawl-way only 3'x3', the walls are lined with same stone spaced about every 10'. After about 30 seconds the stone and the trunk suddenly snap back to their original positions.

His arrow glances off when he stabs the painting. Stone, huh.

He simply shrugs to Four's question and continues to test the articulation on the stone, turning it however it allows.

Gypsy52
2017-12-03, 02:25 AM
Outside the tunnel you enter into a rundown animal shed, but apparently is still used from time to time as shelter. The city lights are clearly visible to the distant west, and you can just make out the shapes of the treeline to the east.

Aroswav moves out using the ladders. Will his two companions follow him? What does he see in the outside?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-12-03, 11:11 AM
It wouldn't have occurred to Four to turn any knob-stones other than the Third Eye, but she knows better than to try should it come up.

"I see... that would be the end of the riddle." In her mind, Four is kicking herself for not finding any of this sooner, but of course scouting and trapfinding aren't exactly her job. "The safest approach would be for one of us to wait with the eye while the other investigates the tunnel."

She almost goes on to nominate herself for crawling duty, but in the brief time she's spent observing him the Lafe seemed fond of curling up in a small space. This tunnel may be to him what a small box is to a house cat.

ahyangyi
2017-12-04, 12:04 PM
Outside the tunnel you enter into a rundown animal shed, but apparently is still used from time to time as shelter. The city lights are clearly visible to the distant west, and you can just make out the shapes of the treeline to the east.

If the city to the west belong to any lord of Karagould, visiting there would be suicide. Sadly, being enslaved for long, Aroswav has no way to tell where he is.

But there's the other possibility, the woods, to the east.

Aroswav slowly recites the riddle:

"I think we should go to the woods. But in any case, do you know where we are?" Aroswav asks the dwarf and the cat accompanying him.

ThreadNecro5
2017-12-04, 01:24 PM
It wouldn't have occurred to Four to turn any knob-stones other than the Third Eye, but she knows better than to try should it come up.

"I see... that would be the end of the riddle." In her mind, Four is kicking herself for not finding any of this sooner, but of course scouting and trapfinding aren't exactly her job. "The safest approach would be for one of us to wait with the eye while the other investigates the tunnel."

She almost goes on to nominate herself for crawling duty, but in the brief time she's spent observing him the Lafe seemed fond of curling up in a small space. This tunnel may be to him what a small box is to a house cat.

The gardener looks to Four to see any thoughts she may have. He thinks on the tunnel: Can fit, room to swing a punch, could teleport out if trapped, can scale drops.

"I can go." He sends her "Should have room to fight if needed. Close me in and count to ten. I will be knocking, say if you hear me. Then I search ahead using my rope and string to find a way back. Put the end of the string in the door and I go to the end before I come back and say what I have seen. Should it go straight I can continue more easily after coming back. Any flaws"?

Should there be no real disagreement the gardener starts on his two tests.

Gypsy52
2017-12-07, 01:04 AM
Once again Four rotates and slides the glowing stone, and again the trunk reveals the hidden crawl-way. Gardener enters on knees and proceeds through the dimly lite tunnel… and again regardless of Four’s efforts the stone and the trunk snap back to their original position and close off the entrance after a few seconds. Four’s heart and breathing are the only sounds , the entrance seal is complete.

It looks as if this new crawl-way extents several hundred feet … continue or go back?

Triskavanski
2017-12-07, 01:48 AM
If the city to the west belong to any lord of Karagould, visiting there would be suicide. Sadly, being enslaved for long, Aroswav has no way to tell where he is.

But there's the other possibility, the woods, to the east.

Aroswav slowly recites the riddle:

"I think we should go to the woods. But in any case, do you know where we are?" Aroswav asks the dwarf and the cat accompanying him.

The cat looks around, still drifting a few inches off the ground, before yawning softly. "Uh.. we are in a shed?" he half states, half asks rubbing his head.

ahyangyi
2017-12-07, 10:16 AM
"Um, yes." Aroswav sounds a bit frustrated, but continues anyway, "I mean, are we still in Frizbroug's realm? And if we are, which direction would lead us away from danger? From the riddle that brings us together, I guess the wood is the answer, but if one of you have some geographic knowledge, the better."

ThreadNecro5
2017-12-08, 02:53 PM
Once again Four rotates and slides the glowing stone, and again the trunk reveals the hidden crawl-way. Gardener enters on knees and proceeds through the dimly lite tunnel… and again regardless of Four’s efforts the stone and the trunk snap back to their original position and close off the entrance after a few seconds. Four’s heart and breathing are the only sounds , the entrance seal is complete.

It looks as if this new crawl-way extents several hundred feet … continue or go back?

I'm assuming the 'knock on the tunnel door' idea is done 'off screen' so to speak?

The tunnel seeming to be clear, the gardener decides to check the other side before reporting back.

Perception:[roll0]

Gypsy52
2017-12-08, 09:51 PM
There's an eerie, uneasiness about this tunnel... As you continue a short distance and look back, there is no 'back' to look at... only a wall that seems to follow, as if pushing you ever forward. Finally you emerge at the base of a waterfall, crystal clear water a short distance below and fresh air all around... just the sounds of nature surround you.

How long did you crawl? How far? Then you see a camp-site beside the pool, but there's no fire or anyone present.

I'm assuming the 'knock on the tunnel door' idea is done 'off screen' so to speak?

The tunnel seeming to be clear, the gardener decides to check the other side before reporting back.

Perception:[roll0]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-12-08, 11:07 PM
After a few minutes, Four tries to listen through the crate-entrance for any signals, but naturally hears none. It's only at this point that she notices the string that Gardener was pulling behind him. It hasn't moved as much as it should have. With a quick tug, she determines that...

Right, of course the mechanism cut the string. Why would it not?

The Intermediate reaches up, twists the eye-stone and approaches the crawlspace once again. By now the Gardener is long gone. She calls into the darkness after him.

"Gardener! The string broke when the door closed, and I don't think I'll be able to hear a knock through the seal! If you can hear me, please sound some kind of signal!"

How far her voice echoes down the tunnel depends on a number of factors. Suffice to say that the lack of a response is no proof of Gardener's fate one way or another. Four closes her eyes and takes a deep breath to curb her frustration as the block once again slams in front of her face.

Gypsy52
2017-12-11, 12:36 PM
For the first time the dwarf takes the lead, but he appears very pale and rancid, his actions aren’t normal, but very clumsy and hurried as he stumbles to the forest. There Snarl begins to remove himself from the dead and decaying dwarvin shell and silently vanishes into to undergrowth.

OOC FYI: I've been informed that real-life is preventing zylodrizzt from continuing at this time.

ThreadNecro5
2017-12-11, 01:55 PM
There's an eerie, uneasiness about this tunnel... As you continue a short distance and look back, there is no 'back' to look at... only a wall that seems to follow, as if pushing you ever forward. Finally you emerge at the base of a waterfall, crystal clear water a short distance below and fresh air all around... just the sounds of nature surround you.

How long did you crawl? How far? Then you see a camp-site beside the pool, but there's no fire or anyone present.

The gardener would have frowned were he capable. The route was gone. A problem. His trail was of no use as on pulling on it he finds his string broke so he spools it back in and stuffs it under the bag on his head to stay out of the way.

Deciding that whatever problems wait at the waterfall can stay there until he is good and ready he turns around and goes back down the tunnel until reaching the wall that blocks him. Should he fail to find anything at that point or before he attempts to teleport through. The tunnel is straight so unless there is a ten-foot block of stone he could manage to go back through.

Will against any illusions: [roll0]

Perception if needed: [roll1]

Triskavanski
2017-12-12, 10:27 AM
"Um, yes." Aroswav sounds a bit frustrated, but continues anyway, "I mean, are we still in Frizbroug's realm? And if we are, which direction would lead us away from danger? From the riddle that brings us together, I guess the wood is the answer, but if one of you have some geographic knowledge, the better."

The cat looks around and shrugs. "Uh well.. It would trouble some to go back to the city. Thats where the people were that did that thing.. So.." he looks away towards the forest. "That place doesn't have people in it."

ahyangyi
2017-12-13, 01:25 PM
Aroswav answers, "Um. Seems you are as clueless as myself. OK. let's move into the woods."

Gypsy52
2017-12-18, 12:12 AM
Every sense tells Gardener that the waterfall and the surrounding area is real, but he doesn’t remember hearing one when he did his quick scouting before entering the cave. So how far did he crawl… or did he crawl all the way?

Reentering the small tunnel he is only able to go back about 20’ before finding the wall again. But when he entered it looked like it ran 100’ or more. At the wall he found the truth, the small glowing stones were arranged so they gave a false illusion of depth when there was none.

The gardener would have frowned were he capable. The route was gone. A problem. His trail was of no use as on pulling on it he finds his string broke so he spools it back in and stuffs it under the bag on his head to stay out of the way.

Deciding that whatever problems wait at the waterfall can stay there until he is good and ready he turns around and goes back down the tunnel until reaching the wall that blocks him. Should he fail to find anything at that point or before he attempts to teleport through. The tunnel is straight so unless there is a ten-foot block of stone he could manage to go back through.

Will against any illusions: [roll0]

Perception if needed: [roll1]

Triskavanski
2017-12-18, 03:49 AM
Ted nods softly yawning as he drifts after his companion.. "Yeah not a clue but forest sounds good..

ThreadNecro5
2017-12-18, 12:03 PM
Every sense tells Gardener that the waterfall and the surrounding area is real, but he doesn’t remember hearing one when he did his quick scouting before entering the cave. So how far did he crawl… or did he crawl all the way?

Reentering the small tunnel he is only able to go back about 20’ before finding the wall again. But when he entered it looked like it ran 100’ or more. At the wall he found the truth, the small glowing stones were arranged so they gave a false illusion of depth when there was none.

'Interesting.' thinks the gardener to himself concerning the optical illusion.

He sets about signalling Four by rapidly knocking on the rock blocking entry to the cave he was at prior.

Gypsy52
2017-12-23, 02:07 AM
OCC FYI: Four is unable to hear your knocking on the rock currently blocking the passage.

'Interesting.' thinks the gardener to himself concerning the optical illusion.

He sets about signalling Four by rapidly knocking on the rock blocking entry to the cave he was at prior.

ahyangyi
2017-12-23, 12:40 PM
(All of us three, Aroswav, Ted and Snarl, agree to move into the forest. What happens next?)

ThreadNecro5
2017-12-24, 03:25 PM
Deciding knocking away at the wall is not working the gardener returns to the campsite, sticking to areas he can remain hidden from.

He takes a careful loop of the campsite, taking notes of signs of use. After this he takes a short spiralling route away from the camp with his bow at the reddy, circling it repeatedly in the process.

Assuming nothing notable becomes known he returns to camp, attempts to light a fire, and if successful lurks nearby to see if anyone comes along at what may be intended to be as a signal.

What sort of terrain is the local area?

Rolls:
Campsite Perception: [roll0]
Rest of the environment Perception: [roll1]
Survival(?) to light the fire: [roll3]

Gypsy52
2017-12-30, 03:41 PM
OOC: Well; I've already taken care of SNARL... he has shead the dead dwarf shell and moved into the forest and hidden (zlodrizzt has quit the group/game), so that only leaves Aroswave and Ted. The two of you venture into the woods following the instructions of the riddle and come onto a series of small hills (knools).

(All of us three, Aroswav, Ted and Snarl, agree to move into the forest. What happens next?)

Gypsy52
2017-12-30, 03:56 PM
The campsite appears to be semi-permanent, and there are signs that it has been used used in the past; but not recently. You find some dry firewood under a cover and are successful with getting a fire going, the other wood had been left uncovered and apparently was rained on; there are still some muddy pocket here and there so any sign or tracks have been destroyed.
After a few hours someone appears on the cliff across the river and calls out… “Hello there!” then makes the sign of the Third Eye.

Deciding knocking away at the wall is not working the gardener returns to the campsite, sticking to areas he can remain hidden from.

He takes a careful loop of the campsite, taking notes of signs of use. After this he takes a short spiralling route away from the camp with his bow at the reddy, circling it repeatedly in the process.

Assuming nothing notable becomes known he returns to camp, attempts to light a fire, and if successful lurks nearby to see if anyone comes along at what may be intended to be as a signal.

What sort of terrain is the local area? The campsite is on a beach-like area, and it has a gentle slope into more forest. Across the stream that is fed from the waterfall is a cliff, and it also appears to be forested.

Rolls:
Campsite Perception: [roll0]
Rest of the environment Perception: [roll1]
Survival(?) to light the fire: [roll3]

ThreadNecro5
2017-12-31, 02:01 PM
The campsite appears to be semi-permanent, and there are signs that it has been used used in the past; but not recently. You find some dry firewood under a cover and are successful with getting a fire going, the other wood had been left uncovered and apparently was rained on; there are still some muddy pocket here and there so any sign or tracks have been destroyed.
After a few hours someone appears on the cliff across the river and calls out… “Hello there!” then makes the sign of the Third Eye.

The Gardener returns the sign and begins walking towards the newcomer. Should nothing else occur by the time he reaches the cliff he proceeds to scale it.

Gypsy52
2018-01-01, 11:16 PM
"Wait there... I have fresh meat, and you have a fire, besides the river gets quite deep in places."
With that the stranger walks downstream and out of sight. Shortly later he reappears walking upstream along the riverbank on your side with several rabbits thrown over his shoulder.

"You're alone! Only one this time? Most disappointing, but one is better than none." He sits down on a stump/stool and begins cleaning and preparing the rabbits for cooking. "Do you prefer stewed or roasted? I am called simply Hunter. And you are...?"

Hunter is a tall, slender, female elf; dressed in greens and browns with unusual flowing red/brown hair and glowing green eyes. She carries both a composite long bow and a long sword, as well as her daggers and knifes.

The Gardener returns the sign and begins walking towards the newcomer. Should nothing else occur by the time he reaches the cliff he proceeds to scale it.

ThreadNecro5
2018-01-02, 02:41 PM
"Wait there... I have fresh meat, and you have a fire, besides the river gets quite deep in places."
With that the stranger walks downstream and out of sight. Shortly later he reappears walking upstream along the riverbank on your side with several rabbits thrown over his shoulder.

The gardener hears the hunter and turns back to camp, deciding to remain standing by the fire.

"You're alone! Only one this time? Most disappointing, but one is better than none." He sits down on a stump/stool and begins cleaning and preparing the rabbits for cooking. "Do you prefer stewed or roasted? I am called simply Hunter. And you are...?"

Hunter is a tall, slender, female elf; dressed in greens and browns with unusual flowing red/brown hair and glowing green eyes. She carries both a composite long bow and a long sword, as well as her daggers and knifes.

After attempting to explain to Hunter about how Four is likely still waiting on the other side of the tunnel using his sign language, the gardener expects little in recognition. Assuming Hunter fails to understand given her apparent lack on knowledge on the Lafe and their private ways (not to say that is not how the species like it mind you) he returns to the mental communication used with Four.

"There is another." he goes on to point towards the tunnel "We decided I scout ahead. The passage closed and I cannot return".

Gypsy52
2018-01-02, 07:58 PM
Hunter watches the Lafe's hand motions and tries to open her mind; but is only partially successful. "Either you want to go back for something? Or someone? Which? Neither is possible my friend, it's a one-way portal."

She checked the status of the rabbit and found it done; sliced off a fair amount and offered it to the Lafe. "Eat! This will be better than any rations you've been having."

The gardener hears the hunter and turns back to camp, deciding to remain standing by the fire.

After attempting to explain to Hunter about how Four is likely still waiting on the other side of the tunnel using his sign language, the gardener expects little in recognition. Assuming Hunter fails to understand given her apparent lack on knowledge on the Lafe and their private ways (not to say that is not how the species like it mind you) he returns to the mental communication used with Four.

"There is another." he goes on to point towards the tunnel "We decided I scout ahead. The passage closed and I cannot return".

Gypsy52
2018-01-02, 08:07 PM
Aroswave and Ted venture into the woods following the instructions of the riddle and come onto a series of small hills (knools). After a few hour the night creatures begin to fade away and daybreak approaches. The sun sets the tops to trees ablaze with light and slowly creeps into the shadowed forest below, first blasting upon an unprotected knool covered with wild roses. Then it moves on to brighten the rest of the forest floor.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-02, 09:53 PM
Four is not having a great night.

She spends a few hours routinely opening and closing the hatch to call for her only co-conspirator. Once every five minutes, like clockwork, but to no avail. Obviously something is impeding him, or else he has deliberately left her in the lurch. He did not seem like the type to skip out for no reason, so hopefully that much can be discarded. So what is it?

Is it a trap? No. If the Third Eye was meant to sniff out and execute would-be revolutionaries, their job could have been done long before we encountered this rabbit hole. Did a swarm of vicious rodents take up residence in the crawlspace since it was first set up? Also unlikely. If I were a dire rat, I'd much rather live here in the cave with all of the crates of food and fiber. Unless of course it was poisoned after all. Trust only the third eye, they said.

Thankfully, this occurs to her before she actually cracks open any of the rations. Not so thankfully, that means that she's probably not going to get any breakfast unless she follows Gardener down the bottomless shaft. Probably not even then.

Is it some kind of trap door? A one-way slide to some underground dungeon? It's a better explanation than a straight-up trap, but great Mechanus, why? This place is well-hidden enough to serve as an entrance, why must it not be an exit as well? To prevent intruders from escaping?

Four was too young to be managing Security when she was still working with Devils, but that strategy does seem pretty plausible in light of what she remembers. Spies and saboteurs were among the lucky mortals that could find themselves trapped in Hell without dying first.

The last problem, of course, would be with these hypothetical Others. She's already on edge from waiting around for hours, but if the Others are also being held up somehow, should she still be waiting for them? Of course, it's rude to keep Gardener waiting this long, too. If only there were a way to let the Others know where we went...

Oh! That's not a bad plan. Four pokes around for some means of leaving a note. It's practically an armory down here - enough weapons for maybe three or four more adventurers. She could probably carve something with one of these daggers, but she'd really rather write on the back of this existing paper note...

ahyangyi
2018-01-04, 12:26 PM
Aroswave and Ted venture into the woods following the instructions of the riddle and come onto a series of small hills (knools). After a few hour the night creatures begin to fade away and daybreak approaches. The sun sets the tops to trees ablaze with light and slowly creeps into the shadowed forest below, first blasting upon an unprotected knool covered with wild roses. Then it moves on to brighten the rest of the forest floor.

Aroswav looks around, and the knoll surely looks a weird sight inside a forest, due to the difference in forestation from its surroundings. Approaching that knoll, Aroswav feels quite unsafe, since they will be exposed in sunlight without concealment. And yet again, this feeling recalls the mysterious riddle:

"We are on the right track", Aroswav whispers to Ted, "we need to find someway to go under this hill."

Aroswav searchs the surrounding of the hill for holes and other sorts of entrances.

ThreadNecro5
2018-01-04, 02:53 PM
Hunter watches the Lafe's hand motions and tries to open her mind; but is only partially successful. "Either you want to go back for something? Or someone? Which? Neither is possible my friend, it's a one-way portal."

The gardener nods. "There was another. Four. I was to scout ahead." he says telepathically.

She checked the status of the rabbit and found it done; sliced off a fair amount and offered it to the Lafe. "Eat! This will be better than any rations you've been having."

He took a bite of the offered meat, not something he had much off before with the closest equivalent being those giant spiders that he would catch the odd night. The texture was interesting as it was shredded by his tongues, very unlike the need to peel the meat from a shell. He Nodded I agreement to Hunter.

Gypsy52
2018-01-05, 04:09 PM
TED & AROSWAVE I need both a Perception check or Knowledge Nature (pick one) and a Search or Survival check (again pick one)

Aroswav looks around, and the knoll surely looks a weird sight inside a forest, due to the difference in forestation from its surroundings. Approaching that knoll, Aroswav feels quite unsafe, since they will be exposed in sunlight without concealment. And yet again, this feeling recalls the mysterious riddle:

"We are on the right track", Aroswav whispers to Ted, "we need to find someway to go under this hill."

Aroswav searchs the surrounding of the hill for holes and other sorts of entrances.

Triskavanski
2018-01-05, 09:10 PM
Ted makes a bleh face as they have to leave the protection of the forest and into the fields. He too didn't like the light that much, being a creature of darkness.

Still, gravity barely held onto him as he drifted about behind the other freed slave.

[roll0] perception
[roll1] survival (As I don't have search on my sheet. Maybe its perception again?)

ahyangyi
2018-01-07, 01:41 PM
Aroswav had no previous experience at dealing with wilderness. To help seeing through things clearly, he manifests his ghostly eye. While he used to look like a human, he now looks obviously inhuman as his eyes becomes ghostly transparent. To further boost his chance at finding the entrance, he casts Guidance on himself and Ted.

Knowledge(Nature): [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]

Ted could take +1 as well if he has no other sources of competence bonuses.

Gypsy52
2018-01-07, 09:56 PM
With everything else going on and the anxiety one thing catches Ted's attention... the knoll is covered with wild rose bushes, but only one is blooming. A very large red rose, on the western side near a rocky out-cropping.

Ted makes a bleh face as they have to leave the protection of the forest and into the fields. He too didn't like the light that much, being a creature of darkness.

Still, gravity barely held onto him as he drifted about behind the other freed slave.

[roll0] perception
[roll1] survival (As I don't have search on my sheet. Maybe its perception again?)

ahyangyi
2018-01-08, 12:42 PM
Noticing Ted's discovery, Aroswav touches the rose (the petals, not the vines).

Gypsy52
2018-01-09, 02:08 AM
You see what appears to be a small opening hidden behind the rose bush in the crevice of the stones.

Noticing Ted's discovery, Aroswav touches the rose (the petals, not the vines).

ahyangyi
2018-01-10, 11:36 AM
Does that opening look like large enough for Aroswav to squeeze into? If so, Aroswav tries to do so.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-10, 10:21 PM
It's big enough to just kind of walk into, at which point it becomes a narrow stone hallway that curves to the right.

At the end of the passage, a Pelayan woman is poised over a supply chest, carefully writing a note. Beside her are several more chests and a rack full of weapons and camping supplies. On the wall behind her is a large painted figure with a stone set into his forehead like a third eye.

When she notices the apparently human man approach the entrance, she tries to contain her immediate panic. She quickly straightens up and bows in greeting.

"Mm! Good morning, sir! I apologize if I have dallied too long..."

She gives the same eye-and-lashes hand signal that the human guides have been using.

Gypsy52
2018-01-11, 02:05 AM
Thank you Guns! :smallsmile:

As Guns stated in his oratory above; the opening is sufficient to enter upright so long as you're not overly tall, or extremely robust. Otherwise you may need to lay down and squirm for better spacing.

While trying to get positioned into the opening the rose thorns inflict their will...

Does that opening look like large enough for Aroswav to squeeze into? If so, Aroswav tries to do so.

Triskavanski
2018-01-11, 09:10 AM
"That looks like it'll hurt going in.." Ted replies flatly, watching aroswav

ahyangyi
2018-01-13, 11:52 AM
"That looks like it'll hurt going in.." Ted replies flatly, watching aroswav

"Behind that which bleeds, is the door to freedom" Aroswav recites to Ted, and then he adds, "though I'd prefer it's these rose who bleeds, not us."

That said, Aroswav doesn't even have a sword or anything like that with him to cut the vines. So it's probably him who bled a bit. And we know vines can't really bleed anyway, the "rose who bleeds" thing is just a metaphor.

Upon seeing the Pelayan woman, Aroswav silently looks around for anything resembling the Third Eye. That was when 4/66 gives her symbol.

Aroswav cancels his ghostly eyes to make himself look less intimidating and also shows his third eye symbol.

"So... have we arrived in ... freedom?" Aroswav asks, sounding relieved after seeing the Pelayan woman's third eye symbol. His question probably does not make too much sense, but for him, it's the moment that the mysterious messages seem to run to its end, and that end says freedom.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-13, 05:07 PM
Four is relieved as well.

"Yes. At least, this should be the so-called path to freedom, at any rate. There is one more hidden passage behind this stone block."

She reaches up to turn the switch as she has been doing all night. A box against the wall quickly slides over to reveal a hatch big enough to crawl through. "I and one other, a Lafe gardener, arrived here yesterday afternoon. He went through to scout ahead last night, but it seems to be a one-way portal. Did you bring any more refugees with you?"

Gypsy52
2018-01-16, 08:10 PM
Even as FOUR, AROSWAVE, and TED exchange salutes, and greetings their relief is short lived as the distant sound of an alarm horn can be heard echoing through the forest. Then the question comes to mind as to what piece of evidence could have been mistakenly left behind to lead the searchers in this direction.

Perhaps FOUR would like to advise AROSWAVE and TED about the items available.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-16, 09:34 PM
4/66 looks past the cat and the ghostman as though checking for the source of the noise, but of course the only thing visible behind them is the rock tunnel. Everyone in the group knows what it is anyway.

Four sighs. "We should go. Pick up a weapon if you need one. The gardener picked up a bow and was alright, but I do not trust anything else in this room save the escape hatch."

For herself, she only takes the note. No sense leaving it as a hint for investigators.

ahyangyi
2018-01-17, 12:27 PM
Aroswav thanks Four's caution. However, he notices the third-eye symbol on the wall, and takes that as a sign that the stash is part of necessity of his way towards freedom.

Aroswav looks for a morningstar if he can find a shield to pair with, otherwise a long spear. In any case, he grabs a dagger as a backup.
Among the crates Aroswav also finds water, ration and clothes.

(Are there any armor or shields? Is there any wood that Aroswav can use to make a crude holy symbol? Are there spell component pouches?)

Gypsy52
2018-01-18, 02:28 AM
The horns still sound distant, but in the cave distance may be deceiving.

There are basic items rations, water skins, barrels of water swords (long and short, small wooden shields, mace, Morningstar, short bows, quivers of arrows (mostly orcish), and well used packs. Regarding armor; leather, padded, and studded... it's all been well worn and patched several times. Sorry but there are no pole-arms, spears, or anything of excessive bulk or length. EVERYTHING IS MUNDANE, so don't waste time looking for any enchantments!

Yes, it is possible to find a piece of scrap wood to carve a crude holy symbol... but you might want to wait till later :smallwink:

Triskavanski
2018-01-18, 08:26 AM
The catman blinks as he drifts along inside with the others. "Huh.. I guess we're like.. important or something." he says hearing the horns off in the distance. He looks over the things, picking up the quivers of orchish arrows, swinging one about lazily like it was a dagger for a bit before picking up some food and water afterwards.

ahyangyi
2018-01-20, 02:56 PM
Aroswav wears a studded leather, grabs a shield and morningstar. He then picks a backpack and stuffs it with rations, waterskin, a short sword, a short bow, a few arrows, and a piece of scrap wood.

"I'm afraid that some of our rescuers have already died for us. May us live up to their expectations, though I'm not sure what it is." Aroswav answers. If people died for your freedom you are probably considered important. "Are you all ready? Let's go then.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-20, 05:59 PM
"I see." Four thinks of her own handler, and wonders if he may have been put to death as well. It seems illogical, but if these two were led out the same way...

Well, it seems this country's problems go far deeper than its racist caste system.

Without further ado, she opens the path to freedom one more time. "Quickly now! You may have noticed, but the path slams hard enough to cut string when it closes."

She gets in behind the other two, as her managerial instincts tell her to keep an eye on them.

Gypsy52
2018-01-21, 11:58 PM
ATTENTION TED, AROSWAVE, & FOUR

There isn’t room enough for TED to continue drifting, so the cat is forced to crawl into what appears to be an endless tunnel lined with the same glowing stones used for the third-eye switch. Followed by AROSWAVE then FOUR. FOUR is just able to get into tunnel before the entrance slams shut and they realize they are actually in a small pocket chamber that seems to move as you move (much like being stuck in a revolving door).
There's an eerie, uneasiness about this tunne, behind you it appear to go on forever as well as forward. The the wall behind seems to follow, as if pushing you ever forward. Finally you emerge at the base of a waterfall, crystal clear water a short distance below and fresh air all around... just the sounds of nature surround you.
How long did you crawl? How far? Then you see a camp-site beside the pool, but there's a fire and two people sitting about eating.

ATTENTION GARDENER

Three people emerge from the tunnel at thewaterfall

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-22, 12:55 AM
"Bisik Pesannya." Four's clear voice intones the unfamiliar phrase, then turns to a tiny whisper that can barely be heard except by Gardener. "Hello again. The others that the note mentioned have joined us, finally."

ahyangyi
2018-01-22, 12:30 PM
Aroswav silently stands, as he tries to figure out what "Bisik Pesannya" means.

Linguistics.
[roll0]

EDIT: probably a failure or maybe this skill does not even apply.

ThreadNecro5
2018-01-22, 02:34 PM
"Bisik Pesannya." Four's clear voice intones the unfamiliar phrase, then turns to a tiny whisper that can barely be heard except by Gardener. "Hello again. The others that the note mentioned have joined us, finally."

The gardener does not physically react to the message as he pops the last morsel of rabbit into his mouth.

"The one I met with is here. With others." he sends to Hunter.

Once Four is close enough he opens communication with her. "Greetings. I am with one of the Third Eye." It is a moment before he recalls the value others place on names. "Hunter she calls herself".

He turns to wave at the three as a greeting.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-22, 09:26 PM
Aroswav silently stands, as he tries to figure out what "Bisik Pesannya" means.

Linguistics.
[14]

It sounds like a word a kid would make up when they're pretending to speak Elven, which makes no sense until you realize it's actually the verbal component of a spell.

Gypsy52
2018-01-23, 03:03 PM
Hunter instinctively and without hesitation jumps to his feet, notchs an arrow in his bow an draws it. She utters but one word… “IDENTIFY!”

Hunter’s mind is not open to telepathy refer back to post 133.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-23, 08:00 PM
"Oh!" Surprised by Gardener's unexpected company, Four straightens up and gives the appropriate hand signal. "I am Four of Sixty-six, servant of the children of Baron Viss. I suppose I should say, 'former servant.' We were instructed to come here by agents of the Third Eye."

ahyangyi
2018-01-24, 11:46 AM
Aroswav was a bit surprised to see Four interacting with Hunter as if they do not know each other. It made sense though, since Four only mentioned one additional member going out to scout.

Aroswav shows his third eye symbol, and introduces himself, "I am Aroswav, servant of Tsukiyo."

(Tsukiyo is the deity's name, not the name of Aroswav's actual ex-lord.)

Triskavanski
2018-01-26, 09:40 AM
"Uh.. I'm Ted." says the cat, who did look a bit annoyed at having to actually crawl. Lazily he puts the symbol up to his head as well, taking a moment to make sure he was doing it right and not doing the L again.

ThreadNecro5
2018-01-26, 02:36 PM
Hunter’s mind is not open to telepathy refer back to post 133.

Sorry, I had misinterpreted what you origionaly wrote. Assume the gardener has only communicated by nodding and the like.

The gardener took a look at the two newcomers as they introduce themselves. He couldn't say he had saw the manner of being that was introduced as Ted before but there was a resemblance to the smaller quadrupeds that had ran through the gardens before. Some manner of larva perhaps?

He decides it best to introduce himself at this time. "Greetings." he sends to Aroswav and Ted.

Gypsy52
2018-01-28, 11:11 PM
Hunter drops his aim and looses the fully drawn arrow into ground harmlessly nearly to its flights. Then she has a free hand with which to return the Third eye recognition signal. "Come, Join us. There is still meat enough to share. This camp is yours as long as you need it."

ahyangyi
2018-01-29, 01:02 PM
Aroswav felt relieved as the arrow flies onto the ground. His face looks as grim as ever, however, as that's how he always looks like.

"I'm glad to meet you... ", says Aroswav, who then looks at the arrow, and was tempted to add "... without being shot", but resisted the urge to say so. Instead, he thanks Hunter for allowing him to stay in the campsite.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-29, 07:46 PM
Four finds the phrase, 'nearly to its flights,' pretty suspicious, and if she's to be honest she's not a fan of meat either. She doesn't really care about penning and slaughtering animals per se, but the whole process is so much less efficient than feeding people directly.

These complaints are not enough to deter her from coming, of course.

"Very well. If I may ask, is there a particular task we, 'need,' the camp for, or..."

The alternative - that they are meant to make their own plans and decisions regarding where and how to settle - is alien enough to Four that she can't put it into words with her usual grace.

Gypsy52
2018-01-30, 10:31 PM
"flight" refer to the feathers on the arrow. "fletching" is the process of of making arrows.

BTW: Hunter had offered to make rabbit stew for Gardener earlier so there are probably some vegetables about.

Four finds the phrase, 'nearly to its flights,' pretty suspicious, and if she's to be honest she's not a fan of meat either. She doesn't really care about penning and slaughtering animals per se, but the whole process is so much less efficient than feeding people directly.

These complaints are not enough to deter her from coming, of course.

"Very well. If I may ask, is there a particular task we, 'need,' the camp for, or..."

The alternative - that they are meant to make their own plans and decisions regarding where and how to settle - is alien enough to Four that she can't put it into words with her usual grace.

Gypsy52
2018-01-30, 10:37 PM
Hunter is surprised at the diversity of species once all four are at the campsite. "Can you understand me?" she asks. "Do you speak common or elvish?" She looks at all their faces before continuing..."I'm called HUNTER. I am one of your five teachers. I will show you how to live off the land by hunting or gathering."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-31, 12:18 AM
"It's good to meet you, Hunter. We all speak the local version of common, I believe, or at least understand it." Four had to think twice to account for Gardener, who doesn't seem to like speaking any language aloud.

For dinner, Four just copies what everyone else is doing. She sits within the tent's meager arrangements, uses whichever containers and utensils are available and eats whatever is being served without question. It's all part of being a team player as far as she's concerned. She'll need to be if she's going to forage in the wild; someone in her position doesn't get outside very much.

ahyangyi
2018-02-01, 12:30 PM
Aroswav tries to be useful by declaring that he is available for any kind of task as long as it's reasonable and beneficial to the whole party. In case there's not too much to do (presumably we just brought our supply from the cave), Aroswav finds a place to hack his piece of wood into a holy symbol.

Triskavanski
2018-02-01, 04:09 PM
Ted nods the others himself, "Can't we like.. eat leaves or something?" he asks in his usual lazy manner after a while of silently watching the rest of the group.

Gypsy52
2018-02-02, 05:46 PM
"I'm sorry, I assumed everyone ate meat. If you prefer there are roots, herbs, fruits, and other things over there in the store room." Hunter points to an isolate wooden door set at an angle in the ground.

Ted nods the others himself, "Can't we like.. eat leaves or something?" he asks in his usual lazy manner after a while of silently watching the rest of the group.

Gypsy52
2018-02-02, 06:09 PM
You were provided with supplies in the cave if you needed to stay there or had this site been compromised you would not be left without a mean of protection or initial food. After all you had to leave all your other possessions behind during the escape.

Aroswav tries to be useful by declaring that he is available for any kind of task as long as it's reasonable and beneficial to the whole party. In case there's not too much to do (presumably we just brought our supply from the cave), Aroswav finds a place to hack his piece of wood into a holy symbol.

Triskavanski
2018-02-04, 12:34 AM
"I'm sorry, I assumed everyone ate meat. If you prefer there are roots, herbs, fruits, and other things over there in the store room." Hunter points to an isolate wooden door set at an angle in the ground.
"Oh I do.. but hunting is hard work. Leaves don't normally run from you."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-02-04, 03:30 AM
Four audibly huffs from her cushion, where she's sitting up straight with her legs crossed. "I should have expected. Anything to avoid work." She makes eye contact with the lazy cat. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that our new living arrangements are going to entail a little more effort than napping under the counter. Although, since you mention leaves... Hunter, or perhaps Gardener, do you know of any native plants we could use for tea?"

ahyangyi
2018-02-04, 12:44 PM
"I thought cats were carnivore. But apparently talking cats are not.", Aroswav comments.

He then introduces his own diet, "I can eat cereal, meat or vegetables without problems. And there was some theory that says my race can survive by eating ectoplasm as well, though I won't try it."

Gypsy52
2018-02-04, 11:25 PM
HUNTER: Eyeing the cat and nodding in agreement with FOUR that there would be no laziness tolerated, he reiterated; “This is your camp so long as you need to stay, but any who feel they need or want to leave or free to do so at any time. We are here to give you training and instructions to better prepare you for your new lives.”
Then he moves into his tent and returns with a small bag and hands it to FOUR. “This is a mixed blend of various berry and herbals that make good tea by themselves. But I find this mix to most pleasing to both the palette as well as the nose."
"When you begin training with me I'll show you many edible plants and those that make teas, and help with wounds. But, you’ve all had quite a day, a cupful of tea would encourage some much deserved rest as well.”

ThreadNecro5
2018-02-05, 03:55 PM
"Lafe are not picky." the gardener sends out to any who may be listening while everyone discusses their preferences in food. "but we struggle with..." the name escapes him for a moment "Spoons. I lack lips or teeth so larger food is preferred over soup or stew. Giant spiders and like are a personal favourite. My tongues help with scraping meat from shell and bone. Probably marrow too "

He removes the cloth over his face to show his point and starts balling the length of string he had underneath.

He thinks on Four's question on useful plants. Probably good to see if he remembers anything useful from these last centuries.

The gardener tries to recall any useful plants or fungi from the region:
Knowledge (Nature):[roll0]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-02-05, 06:16 PM
"I see. It would seem you're truly prepared for anything," Four says to Hunter with a small smile. "Thank you. I'll start preparing some for everyone, with your permission."

Four, being an especially polite sort, successfully avoids staring at the Lafe's cancerous mess of spines and tentacles. Not that the gardener's monstrous appearance is a thing to be ignored; it's held back an ancient and intelligent race to the point where they can only seem to sell themselves as evil minions and beasts of burden. If they could only have cleared that hurdle, Gardener's like would probably be the ones running this plane of existence.

But, you know. Four's seen worse.

Gypsy52
2018-02-05, 08:45 PM
If you were to actually go out foraging you would probably come across several species that you recognize and useful :smallbiggrin:... in one way or another. :smalleek:

"Lafe are not picky." the gardener sends out to any who may be listening while everyone discusses their preferences in food. "but we struggle with..." the name escapes him for a moment "Spoons. I lack lips or teeth so larger food is preferred over soup or stew. Giant spiders and like are a personal favourite. My tongues help with scraping meat from shell and bone. Probably marrow too "

He removes the cloth over his face to show his point and starts balling the length of string he had underneath.

He thinks on Four's question on useful plants. Probably good to see if he remembers anything useful from these last centuries.

The gardener tries to recall any useful plants or fungi from the region:
Knowledge (Nature):[roll0]

ahyangyi
2018-02-06, 10:04 AM
"Hunter", Aroswav asks, "do you know whether there are dangerous beasts in this area?"

Gypsy52
2018-02-07, 10:43 PM
HUNTER: "There are several dangerous beasts in this forest. Especially for the unsuspecting, dangerous does not always mean big."

"Hunter", Aroswav asks, "do you know whether there are dangerous beasts in this area?"

ahyangyi
2018-02-12, 08:47 AM
"So... when do you need to go hunting, bring me with you." Aroswav says, "the more people the safer, isn't it?"

Aroswav then tries to hack his crude holy symbol with the wood piece he brings.

ThreadNecro5
2018-02-12, 06:23 PM
"I should hunt too." says the gardener to anyone I range. "I should test my bow and can likely find useful plants".

It is a minute before he 'speaks' again.

"Someone should pass on what I say to Hunter." he adds bluntly "They cannot listen".

Gypsy52
2018-02-12, 07:35 PM
"I will teach all who wish to learn, in due time. But now you should rest and prepare for the morrow." With that Hunter finishes the last bits of her meal and tea, then departs to her tent.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-02-12, 09:42 PM
"Very well," Four says to Gardener as she sets up Hunter's rustic equivalent to a teapot places it on the fire. It feels weird taking such requests from a Lafe, but as we're all free people now his wishes are as valid as any human's. "I do agree that we should rest for tonight. We have all had a strenuous couple of days, I imagine."

She says that, but she actually spent most of the day standing around waiting. Still, it was agonizing. "For my part, I'd feel more comfortable if someone could be awake during my sleep cycle... but I can wait until someone wakes up in the morning, if that's more convenient."

Gypsy52
2018-02-13, 12:28 AM
Hunter pauses as she closes the flaps. "As you wish, but here you are safe!"

"Very well," Four says to Gardener as she sets up Hunter's rustic equivalent to a teapot places it on the fire. It feels weird taking such requests from a Lafe, but as we're all free people now his wishes are as valid as any human's. "I do agree that we should rest for tonight. We have all had a strenuous couple of days, I imagine."

She says that, but she actually spent most of the day standing around waiting. Still, it was agonizing. "For my part, I'd feel more comfortable if someone could be awake during my sleep cycle... but I can wait until someone wakes up in the morning, if that's more convenient."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-02-13, 12:35 AM
"I see. Alright, thank you."

Four resolves to get to sleep as soon as possible, hoping to finish while someone else is up talking or something.

ahyangyi
2018-02-15, 08:57 AM
"May Tsukiyo grant us a peaceful night." Aroswav prays. (Tsukiyo is a god of night)

Aroswav wanted to be the one to stay alert, but he feels so tired. He tries to figure out whether Hunter's guarantee can be trusted.

[roll0] sense motive

Gypsy52
2018-02-17, 05:44 PM
Hunter closes the flaps to her tent without any further comment.

Aroswav detects no intent of deception from Hunter. She is as most elves, calm and serious in her soft-spoken mannerisms.

"May Tsukiyo grant us a peaceful night." Aroswav prays. (Tsukiyo is a god of night)

Aroswav wanted to be the one to stay alert, but he feels so tired. He tries to figure out whether Hunter's guarantee can be trusted.

[roll0] sense motive

ahyangyi
2018-02-19, 12:13 PM
Aroswav decides that trusting the riddle (and thus trusting hunter's guarantee) is the best option, and he is tired anyway. He goes to sleep.

ThreadNecro5
2018-02-19, 06:15 PM
The gardener decides to head off to sleep too, not volunteering for a watch seeing as Hunter cannot hear him.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-02-19, 06:31 PM
Four started resting as soon as everyone's tea was ready.

Gypsy52
2018-02-21, 06:10 PM
Next morning the four awake not to see Hunter sitting by the fire, but a halfling dressed in a patchwork of browns, black, and greens. His back is toward the tents but he is fully aware of everyone as he holds up one hand and motions them forward. “G’day friends, I am called Fingers.”
A sudden burst of light and smoke announces the arrival of another newcomer standing on a lone stone in the center of the waterfall’s basin. She is human with long, trailing blonde hair that is made even more pronounced by her dark blue robes. In her left hand she holds an 8’ tall staff with a shimmering blue stone mounted in its crook. With her right hand she immediately gives the sign of the Third Eye. “Greetings, they call me Witch. And he is called Blade.” She points downstream to the unknown that approaches through the shallows.

Blade is a Thypte; a very ancient species, believed to have spawned many of the known groups. Standing man-high, but with an orcish face. His hands resemble goat hooves, his legs are segmented into two pair from each hip and look like those of a deer or elk. He’s wearing body armor constructed from large plates of bone laced together, on each side he wears a curved, sword-like weapon.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-02-21, 09:47 PM
Four returns the hand sign and bows politely to each of the Eye members in turn. "Good morning, Fingers. Witch. Blade. Hunter told us we would be training today. However... I don't imagine any of you are here for that?"

Gypsy52
2018-02-22, 08:38 PM
Fingers stood and glanced toward Witch andlaughed. “We are all here to teach, if you are willing to learn. Each of us has our own specialty, and you can stay and learn as much as you wish or as much as we know.”

Four returns the hand sign and bows politely to each of the Eye members in turn. "Good morning, Fingers. Witch. Blade. Hunter told us we would be training today. However... I don't imagine any of you are here for that?"

ahyangyi
2018-02-23, 06:59 AM
Aroswav looks around in suspicion. Do the three newcomers carry the third eye symbol we are all used to see?

ThreadNecro5
2018-02-23, 02:42 PM
The gardener looks at the newcomers in turn before rising from the ball he slept as, seeing no real need to 'talk'. Afterword he waited to see what these teachers say.

Gypsy52
2018-02-23, 07:45 PM
Aroswav looks around in suspicion. Do the three newcomers carry the third eye symbol we are all used to see?

Note in #197 that Witch did give the sign, and she introduced Blade. But to answer your question fully..... "NO!" Neither Fingers nor Blade have given the sign or carry anything.

ahyangyi
2018-02-24, 02:11 PM
One third eye symbol is enough to convince Aroswav that the newcomes are of no danger.

Aroswav asks Finger, "I am eager to learn. But what does each of you teach?"

Gypsy52
2018-02-24, 07:48 PM
Fingers stood and walked about the campfire as if giving a lecture. “By trade you would probably call me a thief or a rogue, but those are not the arts I’m here to teach. I will show you the ways of stealth, spotting and avoiding traps, and if necessary making traps for protection… as well as a few other fine traits that may come in useful”

In a gruff voice Blade spoke up; “Me show fight you how good. Maybe you alive keep.” Then he pulled out both swords and began a blade handling display that culminated with cutting down a nearby tree with a single blow and cutting that through with his other hand, before it could hit the ground. “Needed wood anyway… (laughing)!”

“I am Witch and I will assess your aptitude for the arcane. I you have the gift I will help you develop it. Those that don’t I will show how to recognize when magic is present and in use.” With that she looked off into the forest, into the distance as if something or someone were missing or coming.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-02-25, 12:08 AM
"Ah... I suppose that is for me," Four says to Witch. "I'm already magically active, and I assume that's why I was recruited."

ahyangyi
2018-02-25, 11:09 AM
Aroswav speaks to Witch, "I already know a bit or two about arcane magic*. However, my spells came from my faith, and I doubt further study would be beneficial."

He then turns to Fingers, "I might not be the most agile guy to learn from you, but I am eager to learn how to work with shadows."

* Aroswav has trained Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft.

Gypsy52
2018-02-25, 10:13 PM
While the training conversation is continuing Hunter arrives accompanied by another; a human male dressed in brown robes. “Hello in the camp.” Hunter calls out as she and the newcomer get close. Witch dashes out to greet the two and gives the man in brown a big hug. The three return to the fire, where Witch introduces the man; “This is my husband, you can call him Fryer. “

Fryer nods and signals everyone with the customary Third Eye salute; “I am sorry I have delayed your training, but I had difficultly leaving Karagould. Seems the under-lords have placed some very heavy bounties on us. Enough that some of our own members have turned informant… the half-wit Chima being the worst of the lot.” Fryer pours himself some tea and finds a place to sit; “Also we have some very expensive run-aways this time. Their former-masters want returned… one way or another. From that I guess someone knows something?” Fryer eyes each of the escapees for a tell-tale sign.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-02-25, 10:41 PM
"As stolen merchandise goes, I imagine we're all pretty valuable. Two magicians, a strong survivalist..."

Four has no idea what Ted's special skill is. She's just been assuming that he was some kind of line cook. That's kind of prejudiced of you, Four!

"As such, I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if I was missed and being hunted by name."

ahyangyi
2018-02-27, 06:51 AM
Aroswav asks, "do you know what happened to Rectar?", before realizing something grim and adds the question, "and... is our camp still safe?"

ThreadNecro5
2018-02-28, 02:00 PM
The gardener contemplates the news Fryer gave. Bounty hunters may become a significant issue.

As he makes his way to Fingers he decides to test if any of the other teachers are as deaf as Hunter. Assuming deaf is the correct term for one who cannot listen, the grunts humans communicate with leave what they would call a language barrier on the subject.

"Can anyone hear?" he sends them, as usual not giving any movement that wound indicate his attempt at communication.

Once reaching the shortest of the teachers he takes a place beside Aroswav and nods at Fingers.

Gypsy52
2018-03-01, 09:25 PM
Witch, Fingers, and Fryer look about inquiringly; whereas Blade has a sudden reaction, drawing both his swords and assumes a fighting stance. “Who speaks, come out!”
With those words Hunter grabs her bow and begins scanning the forest for anything out of place; then she dashes off and disappears into the trees.
Fingers waits a few moments, “I’ll be back in an hour, signal if you need us.” Then quietly moves off in a separate direction.

The gardener contemplates the news Fryer gave. Bounty hunters may become a significant issue.

As he makes his way to Fingers he decides to test if any of the other teachers are as deaf as Hunter. Assuming deaf is the correct term for one who cannot listen, the grunts humans communicate with leave what they would call a language barrier on the subject.

"Can anyone hear?" he sends them, as usual not giving any movement that wound indicate his attempt at communication.

Once reaching the shortest of the teachers he takes a place beside Aroswav and nods at Fingers.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-03-02, 12:57 AM
Four flinches away from the orc-centaur, then sighs as she figures out what's going on. "It's alright, Blade. That was the voice of our Gardener friend. The Lafe do not speak verbally, so they rely on hand signals and telepathy to communicate. However..."

She makes that strange hand motion again - the one that looks like she's donning a wireless headset - and resumes by throwing her voice specifically to Gardener.

"Bisik Pesannya. Gardener, would it be best if I translated for you from now on? I understand that the telepathy is inconvenient, but we could start transitioning to sign language if you're willing to help me practice."

ThreadNecro5
2018-03-02, 01:29 PM
She makes that strange hand motion again - the one that looks like she's donning a wireless headset - and resumes by throwing her voice specifically to Gardener.

"Bisik Pesannya. Gardener, would it be best if I translated for you from now on? I understand that the telepathy is inconvenient, but we could start transitioning to sign language if you're willing to help me practice."

"Your assistance would be appreciated. Lafe as a whole would prefer to keep our signs hidden however. Perhaps a few basic ones". Says the gardener, leaving Four's explanation to the teachers.

Somewhat absentmindedly he contemplates the future use of telepathy as a psychological weapon.

Gypsy52
2018-03-02, 10:10 PM
WITCH: Witch approaches Blade cautiously calling his name softly, telling him there’s no reason to be alarmed until he is finally convinced and puts away his weapons. Then once he is seated again she slings her cloak over his head to conceal his sight as she utters a few arcane words, withdraws something from a hidden pocket and throws it skyward. A streak of green light rushes up then explodes above the tree-tops.

FRYER: <telepathically “Gardener in the future you should try to target your communication… mostly away from Blade. His species is very superstitious about things, even Witch and I must be careful when using our special powers. All of the teachers except Hunter are susceptible to telepathy, but I’m the only true telepath.>

It wasn’t long after Witch’s signal that Fingers, then Hunter, returned to camp wanting explanations of what was going on. Now Hunter understood why Gardener didn’t tell her about the others yet to come through the portal.

ahyangyi
2018-03-04, 07:18 AM
(Did Aroswav hear about the portal thing? I believe we haven't heard about a portal before, so if Aroswav hears it, he would ask about it)

Gypsy52
2018-03-04, 11:26 PM
(Did Aroswav hear about the portal thing? I believe we haven't heard about a portal before, so if Aroswav hears it, he would ask about it)

No, that was not said as conversation but as player info. However, if the PCs would like to make a belated KNOWLEDGE ARCANE check to recognize passing through a portal I'll allow it... since you're raising the question.

You can refer back to postings #116 and #131~133 for clarification about Gardener and Hunter's failure to communicate.

ahyangyi
2018-03-05, 10:43 AM
After the teachers gets the explanation necessary, Aroswav repeats his last question to Fryer, which is probably the most urgent thing to him, "since you just mentioned traitors, do you think this camp is still safe?"

ThreadNecro5
2018-03-05, 01:08 PM
WITCH: Witch approaches Blade cautiously calling his name softly, telling him there’s no reason to be alarmed until he is finally convinced and puts away his weapons. Then once he is seated again she slings her cloak over his head to conceal his sight as she utters a few arcane words, withdraws something from a hidden pocket and throws it skyward. A streak of green light rushes up then explodes above the tree-tops.

FRYER: <telepathically “Gardener in the future you should try to target your communication… mostly away from Blade. His species is very superstitious about things, even Witch and I must be careful when using our special powers. All of the teachers except Hunter are susceptible to telepathy, but I’m the only true telepath.>

The gardener nods to Fryer, both to express understanding on avoiding using his telepathy on Blade and on the ability to successfully communicate with the others.

Gypsy52
2018-03-06, 02:50 AM
“Don’t worry, the camp is still safe.” And Fryer began etching a rough map in the dirt comparing Karagould to the camp and showing the borderlands. “It would be several days ride… IF they knew where to come. And the portal only allows three at the most to pass. Quite defensible!”

After the teachers gets the explanation necessary, Aroswav repeats his last question to Fryer, which is probably the most urgent thing to him, "since you just mentioned traitors, do you think this camp is still safe?"

ahyangyi
2018-03-07, 11:21 AM
Though Aroswav's face still looks grim, that is just how his race looks like, not a general reflection of his current mood. He actually feels much more comfortable than before. Maybe it's time to focus on learning something now, given that we now have the teachers.
Aroswav turns to Finger, and asks tentatively, "I am by no means proficient in sneaking, but I am afraid that that kind of skill would be invaluable in the future adventures. Do you think I will make a good student for you?"

ThreadNecro5
2018-03-07, 03:15 PM
The gardener joins Aroswav at Fingers.

"I have some experience hiding, No true training however and I relay on my stealth." sends the literal giant to the shortest teacher.

Gypsy52
2018-03-07, 11:35 PM
Fingers began with the giant and silent one as students, but spoke loud enough for all the hear; “First… do not be concerned with a preconceived disadvantage! Second… learn to find and use the advantages that surround you. Third… and most important; EXPLOIT THE DISADVANTAGES OF YOU ADVERSARY!”

Hunter interjected; “That would apply to hunting and trapping as well, knowing your prey is important for a successful hunt.”

“Battle also, too where to hit know.” Blade approached the threesome to listen further.

ahyangyi
2018-03-10, 11:02 AM
Aroswav nods, and says, "Thanks. These sound like very useful principles. Yet I wonder how should I really apply them..."

Trying to think from a different perspective, Aroswav adds after a long pause, "From the rescue of us from the lords, I guess you did do lots of research to find out the weaknesses of each lord."

ThreadNecro5
2018-03-12, 12:48 PM
The gardener waits to see if there is going to be advice of greater substance.

Gypsy52
2018-03-14, 11:14 PM
"Yes, and much more. Now most of that has been lost because of one traitor." Fryer slammed his fist into his opposite palm. "But even now new paths are being laid, and the next candidates considered."

Aroswav nods, and says, "Thanks. These sound like very useful principles. Yet I wonder how should I really apply them..."

Trying to think from a different perspective, Aroswav adds after a long pause, "From the rescue of us from the lords, I guess you did do lots of research to find out the weaknesses of each lord."

Gypsy52
2018-03-14, 11:39 PM
Over the next weeks AROSWAVE, GARDENER, TED, and FOUR rotate each day, training under a different teacher.
LEVEL UP... Everyone should be Level 3 before going past this post!

REMINDERS: MAXIMUM HP THROUGH LEVEL 3, after that you roll for HP and no taking averages.
CRAFTS CLARIFICATION: Bow making and Fletching (arrow making) are separate crafts.

On occasion there would be a break in training; either for rest, for evaluation, or for replenishment. This was just such a day, Hunter had decided to take them out to truly test their skills and restock with some fresh meat at the same time.

“Bows and blades, everyone. Bows and blades!” That was Hunter’s call that they were about to leave out. Even before dawns first kiss had touched the tree tops. “We’re going across the river and hunt the forest to the north. I want you to work in teams of two, so pick a partner…I’ll hunt between the two teams.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-03-16, 12:00 AM
Witch, to no one's surprise, is a pretty good teacher. After observing Four's innate powers, she helps her project her illusory disguise away from her body and into more interesting images. In a few days, she's mastered the illusion spell and learned to identify a dozen others.

At some point, Four privately asked if she should perhaps be learning to fight like everyone else, just to avoid becoming a liability when the inevitable happens. Witch almost didn't understand the question. For someone like you, she said, an inevitable fight isn't a test of strength so much as a puzzle. By way of demonstration, an illusion of Witch appeared in front of Hunter at the makeshift target range he and Ted were using, just in time to startle him as he was lining up a long shot. The arrow snapped sideways and hit Aroswav in the knee. On the plus side, this gave him one more opportunity to practice his healing spell.

This more creative mindset is new to the uptight Pelayan foreman, and you can occasionally see a hint of a smile on her porcelain face when she swirls her silent image into a new, convincing work of art. If you didn't know better, you might say she was starting to enjoy herself.

Despite Gardener's protests, Four is not one to shy away from a social challenge and is determined to learn the semi-secret Lafe language. She finds herself continually translating others' words into sign and using it almost exclusively when talking to Gardener. To further immerse herself, she avoids using the message spell at all; instead she saves the sound-projecting magic for her practice sessions and develops it into a cantrip more fitting a budding illusionist.

Today, she knows more than enough of the Lafe's basic signs to go on a basic hunt. By this point everyone has probably figured out how much she's been looking forward to it, so if Gardener wants to avoid her, he'll have to partner up with someone else quickly.

ahyangyi
2018-03-17, 08:12 AM
It is amazing that by learning in fighting, hunting, sneaking and arcane knowledge, Aroswav somehow becomes a better cleric. But when you really think about it, it makes sense. As long as one puts serious efforts in improving oneself, he would eventually become better at what he's supposed to do. And fighting, hunting, sneaking and arcane knowledge are, by all means, an integral part of the life of an adventuring cleric.

Aroswav suggests, "I know it's hunting... but I still think we would better stick together to stay safe."

That suggestion probably won't work. Aroswav tries to team up with Ted then.

ThreadNecro5
2018-03-19, 01:23 PM
The gardener has improved decently with the lessens, less likely to spear an ally, no doubt something to be put to good use this day. Slow communication with Blade has figured out the proper stance to go with the instinctual ability to throw a decent punch that seems to come natural to most giants.

he pulls out his bow as instructed and makes sure his arrows are properly in place, while making a mental note to salvage the tips of any that break. Metal heads of the right size are likely to be a rare commodity.

Since they can communicate to a decent degree and Aroswav and alredy went seeking Ted the gardener turns to Four, gives the telepathic 'prod' to signify who is spoken too, and signs 'Us'?

Gypsy52
2018-03-24, 04:43 PM
Hello gang!

Just a reminder to update your Myth Weaver character sheet if you haven't done so all ready. Everyone should be level 3 and that's still getting maximum HP.

Levels 4, 5, and 6 you roll your HP, but you can take a reroll, BUT.... if you do reroll you are stuck with the new roll.

ahyangyi
2018-03-26, 12:37 PM
OOC:

I have updated my character sheet.
I have one question though: do I have the time and material to scribe scrolls for now? If not, I'd pick a different level 3 feat...

Gypsy52
2018-03-27, 12:25 AM
First regarding money: There were some pouches of silver back in the cave, enough for each of you to have 200 sp.
Second regarding feats: I have no problem with you changing a required feat to an optional at this time as you may not have all the necessary items available at the camp; or you may hold a slot open until later.

OOC:

I have updated my character sheet.
I have one question though: do I have the time and material to scribe scrolls for now? If not, I'd pick a different level 3 feat...

ahyangyi
2018-03-29, 09:30 AM
(OOC)

It turns out that scribe scroll makes things too complex. Plus, it never fits the theme here. I decide to change it (as my level 3 feat) to Combat Casting, another staple boring feat that's always in the game.

After all, Aroswav was trained by tutors of very diverse backgrounds. Gaining Combat Casting sounds much more natural.

Also, I discovered that I forgot to add blind-fight to my character sheet, which is given by my darkness domain.

Everything else should be done. Let's move on.

Gypsy52
2018-03-30, 01:17 AM
TED (aka Triskavanski) has not responded to my emails or nudges to update character to level 3. That is what I'm currently waiting on... or does anyone have any other news regarding his status? :smallconfused:

ThreadNecro5
2018-03-30, 12:20 PM
TED (aka Triskavanski) has not responded to my emails or nudges to update character to level 3. That is what I'm currently waiting on... or does anyone have any other news regarding his status? :smallconfused:

Triskavanski said in the OOC thread they didn't have the time spare and had to drop out.

Gypsy52
2018-03-30, 10:30 PM
The four cross the river and divide up, Hunter teams with Aroswave and they take the left. Gardner and Four make the other team and move off right-ward. As the two groups separate Hunter gives one last instruction; “Remember, we’re here to replenish our supplies, not trophy hunting. No needless killing or leaving any creature to suffer.”

After nearly an hour the teams have their first encounter… <everyone roll a d6>

Hunter: [roll0]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-03-31, 12:06 AM
Four raises a hand in the more-or-less universal gesture to stop and wait. She thinks she heard something.

[roll0]

Gypsy52
2018-04-02, 12:38 AM
Something I forgot to mention when I had everyone Level-up was you were graduating. In so doing you've learned from your teachers... HUNTER: +2 Survival, +1 Knowledge Nature, +1 Heal; BLADE: +2 Intimidate, +1 Knowledge Nature, +1 Perception; FRYER: +2 Diplomacy, +1 Knowledge History, +1 Sense Motive; WITCH: +1 Knowledge Arcane, +1 Spell Craft, +2 Linguistics; FINGERS: +1 Stealth, +2 Perception, +1 Acrobatics.

Of course you can continue to stay at the camp if you wish.

ThreadNecro5
2018-04-02, 12:05 PM
Something I forgot to mention when I had everyone Level-up was you were graduating. In so doing you've learned from your teachers... HUNTER: +2 Survival, +1 Knowledge Nature, +1 Heal; BLADE: +2 Intimidate, +1 Knowledge Nature, +1 Perception; FRYER: +2 Diplomacy, +1 Knowledge History, +1 Sense Motive; WITCH: +1 Knowledge Arcane, +1 Spell Craft, +2 Linguistics; FINGERS: +1 Stealth, +2 Perception, +1 Acrobatics.

Of course you can continue to stay at the camp if you wish.

If I'm understanding you, you get the bonus from teacher you studied under? Or is it assumed we spent time time with all of them?

Mechanics question: Are the skill increases you listed in the form of ranks or a bonus?

In a related question if it is ranks what happens if you have the max currently allowed in that skill (equal to HD, in this case 3). If it is a bonus what kind is it (I'd assume competence or circumstance)?

The gardener stops as indicated. He had been sticking near the trees if possible so that he could use them for hiding and getting a better view.
[roll0]

Gypsy52
2018-04-04, 12:34 AM
[/SPOILER]
If I'm understanding you, you get the bonus from teacher you studied under? Or is it assumed we spent time time with all of them?

Mechanics question: Are the skill increases you listed in the form of ranks or a bonus?

In a related question if it is ranks what happens if you have the max currently allowed in that skill (equal to HD, in this case 3). If it is a bonus what kind is it (I'd assume competence or circumstance)?

The gardener stops as indicated. He had been sticking near the trees if possible so that he could use them for hiding and getting a better view.
[roll0]

They're competence bonus ranks

Gypsy52
2018-04-04, 12:47 AM
Hunter signals Aroswave and points in the direction of a large stag just emerging from a thicket.

Meanwhile Gardener and Four both are confounded by what they see. They’re not any beast they’ve seen before, and they appear armed. Gardener has taken a good approach and taken cover behind a large tree, when Four finally gets a good look at one of the creatures and realize they’re in the midst of a brood of [roll]2d4][/rollv] goblins and they’re wearing Karagould colors.

ThreadNecro5
2018-04-04, 01:00 PM
[/SPOILER]

They're competence bonus ranks

I'm still unsure if the ranks are an 'all listed' situation or a specific one of those 'packages' you listed. And what happens should you already have maximum allowed ranks in that skill.

Meanwhile Gardener and Four both are confounded by what they see. They’re not any beast they’ve seen before, and they appear armed. Gardener has taken a good approach and taken cover behind a large tree, when Four finally gets a good look at one of the creatures and realize they’re in the midst of a brood of [roll]2d4][/rollv] goblins and they’re wearing Karagould colors.

[spoiler=OOC]Cant make a stealth check now due to my above question. Also your roll was messed up by something. If you did a preview post, that's probably it.[/quote]

After giving Four the telepathic 'prod' that preludes 'speaking' via sign the gardener gives the simple sign to request elaboration or indicate a question, hoping she knows more than him on these creatures.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-04-04, 08:54 PM
Four ducks behind some brush to follow Gardener's lead. Given that she has not yet had an opportunity to learn a word specifically for goblin, her silent response translates to, "Small repulsive humans."

That said, the little monsters are hardly human in appearance. She briefly wonders whether their patriotic uniforms reflect loyalty or whether they were press-ganged into service. Either way, they're probably looking for us.

Come to think of it, did the discovery of the Unknowns prompt humanity to finally give goblins equal treatment, or are they in the same boat as us? By default, I assume it's somewhere in between; not technically slaves, but expected to get out of the way when a human or elf wants something.

Knowledge(History) if necessary: [roll0]

Stealth if necessary: [roll1]

Initiative if necessary: [roll2]

Gypsy52
2018-04-05, 12:56 AM
[roll0]
Goblins coming through the woods wearing Karagould colors. Karagould the city you were rescued from! Goblins are treated like a mangy, cure dog until some lowly task is needed doing or they don't want to waste troops.

Four ducks behind some brush to follow Gardener's lead. Given that she has not yet had an opportunity to learn a word specifically for goblin, her silent response translates to, "Small repulsive humans."

That said, the little monsters are hardly human in appearance. She briefly wonders whether their patriotic uniforms reflect loyalty or whether they were press-ganged into service. Either way, they're probably looking for us.

Come to think of it, did the discovery of the Unknowns prompt humanity to finally give goblins equal treatment, or are they in the same boat as us? By default, I assume it's somewhere in between; not technically slaves, but expected to get out of the way when a human or elf wants something.

Knowledge(History) if necessary: [roll0]

Stealth if necessary: [roll1]

Initiative if necessary: [roll2]

ahyangyi
2018-04-08, 11:38 AM
So... since the teachers actually rotated themselves in their teaching, I assume that the skill bonuses are available from everyone.
Or... are they "packages" that each character must pick one or two?

Aroswav tries to be as quiet as he can to avoid alarming the stag, as he pulls out his bow and arrow and aim at the stag.

How far is the stag from Aroswav and Hunter?

Stealth if needed.
[roll0]
(Finger's bonus included)
EDIT: let's hope stealth is not needed ;)

Gypsy52
2018-04-08, 08:42 PM
So... since the teachers actually rotated themselves in their teaching, I assume that the skill bonuses are available from everyone.
Or... are they "packages" that each character must pick one or two?

Aroswav tries to be as quiet as he can to avoid alarming the stag, as he pulls out his bow and arrow and aim at the stag.

How far is the stag from Aroswav and Hunter?

Stealth if needed.
[roll0]
(Finger's bonus included)
EDIT: let's hope stealth is not needed ;)

Needless to say you blew the stealth check, so instead of blending you step on a dry stick that makes a loud CRACK sound. The stag was a meer 45' away and had absolutely no problem hearing it and and spotting you.
Combat reflex if you still want to make a shot... then roll to hit

Gypsy52
2018-04-08, 08:49 PM
Hunter is surprised with the sudden snap of the stick and the stags jump and makes a quick decision to shot anyway.
combat reflex: [roll0]
attack: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]

Hunter manages to strike the stag in the left hip, causing it to faulter for a moment, but not enough to bring the animal down.

Gypsy52
2018-04-09, 04:51 PM
ThreadNecro5 asked: "To quote my question from the thread: I'm still unsure if the ranks are an 'all listed' situation or a specific one of those 'packages' you listed. And what happens should you already have maximum allowed ranks in that skill."

Reply: Even if you're at max these are bonus for this training and are all inclusive for the training you completed. I leave it up to you if you feel undeserving of all the ranks then so be it; only take those for the training you think you accomplished.

ahyangyi
2018-04-10, 11:42 AM
The pale-faced Aroswav is probably not the best hunter around, but having an extra man contributing to hunting probably helps. Except when stealth is needed, that is.

Anyway, Aroswav tries to shoot at the stag.

And OOC: what is a combat reflex check? Isn't combat reflex sort of a passive feat that Aroswav does not even have?

ranged to hit: [roll0]
ranged damage if hits: [roll1]
using a +0 shortbow

Apparently Aroswav would hit the stag if it were a dummy. But a stag is not a dummy, so his arrow probably missed.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-04-10, 09:17 PM
"Eight of them," is the most Four can relay as she struggles to come up with a plan. Sending a squad this size was a smart move on Karagould's part; in the event of a guerrilla ambush, it all but ensures that at least one of them can escape and report our location.

...but what if instead of us, they found something else?

"Dibodohi!" Four calls out from her hiding spot, practically begging for the goblins' attention... but another sound from the trees nearer to them should hopefully draw it away.

"*HUFF* *SNORT* *GROWL*"

...it's ghost sound. :smalltongue: