PDA

View Full Version : Quickened Dispel Magic as a Counterspell?

Ralasha
2017-10-03, 01:37 AM
So, this may seem a silly question, but as a quickened spell counts as swift, or 'free'... Does this mean that I could cast it on someone elses turn?

My character is an Abjurant Champion, meaning all of my abjurations are quickened and extended free of charge. This includes the Dispel line of spells. Can my character cast a quickened Dispel Magic on an enemy's turn to counter their spell?

Bakkan
2017-10-03, 01:43 AM
No. You can't use most free actions on another person's turn. The only actions that can be used outside of your turn are immediate actions and actions which specifically say they can.

Ralasha
2017-10-03, 01:44 AM
Thank you.

Venger
2017-10-03, 01:56 AM
So, this may seem a silly question, but as a quickened spell counts as swift, or 'free'... Does this mean that I could cast it on someone elses turn?

My character is an Abjurant Champion, meaning all of my abjurations are quickened and extended free of charge. This includes the Dispel line of spells. Can my character cast a quickened Dispel Magic on an enemy's turn to counter their spell?

quickened spells aren't swifts or frees. they are always swifts. that means you are allowed 1 per round, and cannot take one in a round where you have also used your immediate action. immediates can't be done when flat-footed, and swift spells don't provoke aoos.

No. You can't use most free actions on another person's turn. The only actions that can be used outside of your turn are immediate actions and actions which specifically say they can.

You can only use frees on your turn.

Gruftzwerg
2017-10-03, 03:29 AM
You could delay your action to dispel once the effect is present. But that is a really bad option.

- you need an ongoing effect no instant (needs a duration or permanent)

- enough things that you can't counter with a dispel (e.g. Fireball)

It's to unreliable. If you really know it is coming (e.g. you know that the enemy caster will cast a dispellable effect the first round, because you already fought him, or know/predict his style), it could be an alternative to Counterspell (if you don't have it rdy).
Don't rely on it, it's can just be a "last try/trump card".

Crake
2017-10-03, 06:41 AM
You could delay your action to dispel once the effect is present. But that is a really bad option.

- you need an ongoing effect no instant (needs a duration or permanent)

- enough things that you can't counter with a dispel (e.g. Fireball)

It's to unreliable. If you really know it is coming (e.g. you know that the enemy caster will cast a dispellable effect the first round, because you already fought him, or know/predict his style), it could be an alternative to Counterspell (if you don't have it rdy).
Don't rely on it, it's can just be a "last try/trump card".

You can use dispel to counter instantaneous spells, but you need to ready a counterspell.

Fouredged Sword
2017-10-03, 09:14 AM
Swift action dispels are REALLY useful, but it is better to focus on breaking effects that are continuous. You target a buffed enemy and remove their buffs. Because it is a swift action you can still move or attack or cast another spell or some combination of that.

Another really good gem to use as a swift action is dismissal. You need to expand abjurant champion past 5 levels to pull that one off, but legacy champion does that very effectively.

denthor
2017-10-03, 09:43 AM
Not mention it is a dice roll to dispel see comic 397

Avigor
2017-10-03, 10:14 AM
Divine casters do have Divine Defiance, Fiendish Codex II, to allow spending turn undead to counterspell without readying their action.

Crake
2017-10-03, 11:25 AM
Divine casters do have Divine Defiance, Fiendish Codex II, to allow spending turn undead to counterspell without readying their action.

It does eat up your immediate action, but this, combined with the inquisition domain and arcane mastery is one of the best methods for a 100% automatic counterspell vs enemies whose caster level is within 3 of yours. There are a couple of other feats that also add to dispel checks (not caster level, since that caps out) that you can use ontop of this, but it is a great way to almost entirely shut down an enemy caster.

Ralasha
2017-10-03, 12:13 PM
Thanks. I am trying to build an antimage, if you couldn't tell.

I am currently fighter 4, sorcerer 2, abjurant champion 4.

noob
2017-10-03, 12:32 PM
Try wizard instead of sorcerer(you will get a lot more spells that can help against other casters) and have the fighter bonus feat acf(basically you will get a familiar and a fighter bonus feat with your wizard dip instead of getting nearly nothing)
Also due to multi-class rules taking 4 levels in fighter then 2 in another base class will give you a penality to exp
So try fighter 2/barbarian 2/wizard 2/abjurant champion n(you will get as many bonus feats(due to the wizard acf) and you will also get rage and a familiar)
In core quicken is a free action you can do one time per turn but some manuals say otherwise but according to wotc core is always right so even through you might read in some manual that quicken takes a swift it is false and it takes a free action which means you can not use it on someone else turn.

Ralasha
2017-10-03, 12:35 PM
Fortunately the DM is more about the fun, so no worries.

Don't want Wizard. My idea is to build for counterspells, buffs and melee.

noob
2017-10-03, 12:41 PM
That build I gave as as much bab and have better buffs and as many fighter feats and also gives rage and fast movement and do not have exp penalty(unlike your build which gains xp at a 90% rate) and is better at buffs by virtue of having spells of a given level one level earlier.(and does the counterspell earlier due to getting dispel magic earlier)
in which way is your build better?
It would lose in a straight melee fight by virtue of having exactly as many fighter bonus feats(wizard gives a fighter bonus feat(thanks to the martial wizard acf) unlike sorcerer) but not having rage or fast movement.

Ralasha
2017-10-03, 12:46 PM
Yes, let us just call me obstinant. I like more spells per day, I don't have to prepare, I have weapon specialization, I already move 40 ft per round. I have an unarmored ac of 26. An armored ac of 33. My casterlevel is 10.

Why spend levels on an enhancement bonus to speed when gold is easier to come by?

I am at heart, a gish. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Afx1qzGeUZ4)

noob
2017-10-03, 12:48 PM
It is not spending levels it is gaining levels I told you the multiclass rule means that having two levels in sorcerer and 4 in fighter means that you gains xp at a slower rate.

Ralasha
2017-10-03, 12:49 PM
It is not spending levels it is gaining levels I told you the multiclass rule means that having two levels in sorcerer and 4 in fighter means that you gains xp at a slower rate.

Not in this game. But thank you.

noob
2017-10-03, 12:52 PM
so you do not play with the multiclass rule or you play with human?
Also if you do not want the quick movement the barbarian dip can then give you pounce(full round attack after each charge) and also protects you against being flatfooted.

Venger
2017-10-03, 01:30 PM
so you do not play with the multiclass rule or you play with human?
Also if you do not want the quick movement the barbarian dip can then give you pounce(full round attack after each charge) and also protects you against being flatfooted.

nobody except Thurbane plays with the multiclass rule.

noob
2017-10-03, 02:24 PM
So I am Thurbane and I play in a group with a group of four Thurbanes?

Ralasha
2017-10-03, 02:25 PM
So I am Thurbane and I play in a group with a group of four Thurbanes?

Yes. Now apply 2e racial level limits.

noob
2017-10-04, 01:51 PM
I must apply the racial level limits to the Thurbanes or to the characters they use?
in abjurant champion"The maximum level of spell you can quicken in this way is equal to 1/2 your class level" which means that dispel magic can be quickened only at level 5 in abjurant champion.
sadly it means that your trick will become quickly obsolete since you both have a low caster level and can not use the higher level dispel magic.
Gladly there is a class named legacy champion which allows to progress any class you had as if you gained a level in it(with a 7/10 progression) which means that you can get more abjurant champion levels above the maximum(and possibly reach an abjurant champion level of 11 at level 20 which allows to quicken spells of level 6)

Ralasha
2017-10-04, 02:45 PM
I must apply the racial level limits to the Thurbanes or to the characters they use?
in abjurant champion"The maximum level of spell you can quicken in this way is equal to 1/2 your class level" which means that dispel magic can be quickened only at level 5 in abjurant champion.
sadly it means that your trick will become quickly obsolete since you both have a low caster level and can not use the higher level dispel magic.
Gladly there is a class named legacy champion which allows to progress any class you had as if you gained a level in it(with a 7/10 progression) which means that you can get more abjurant champion levels above the maximum(and possibly reach an abjurant champion level of 11 at level 20 which allows to quicken spells of level 6)
I am currently Caster Level 10, at level 10. It's from a feat. Giving me 4 of my caster levels back.
To the Thurbanes, and their characters.

Zanos
2017-10-04, 05:34 PM
You could try using Battlemagic Perception. Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric/Spellthief 3 buff. 10 minutes per level. Gives some pretty unique benefits to detecting other spellcasting near you, and can be discharged as a free action to counter a spell.

Hiro Quester
2017-10-04, 05:45 PM
You can also get a ring of spell battle. You become aware of all spellcasting around you, even if you can't directly see. And if you make the spellcraft check you can have the ring counterspell, on the caster's turn, even if you have not readied an action.