PDA

View Full Version : On hair (and the cutting thereof): Why am I so gullible?

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 07:32 PM
Perhaps you can guess, but I got my haircut today. This isn't something I generally like to do, because something bad happens almost every time.

I'm a fan of long hair. What I'm not so good at is styling it. So, when it comes time to pay somebody do that, I've got no idea what to ask for. And every time, I ask my more fashion-minded sister for advice. "I like your hair shorter", she tells me. Like a dolt, I believe her when she tells me I look better that way.

I woke up this morning with shoulder-length hair. Now it's barely past my ears. I want to cry when I see myself in the mirror. So, the question is, why do I keep doing this to myself? Why, when I'm looking to lose an inch, do I let myself get talked into 3 or 4? And does anyone else have this or a similar problem?

Dhavaer
2007-08-14, 07:34 PM
Maybe you should write down 'never cut hair more than *cm'. Or tattoo it on your hand, or something.

Eldpollard
2007-08-14, 07:34 PM
Ah, I'm afraid I can't relate. After having many years of my life with very short hair (16 of them) I decided to keep it long. As a result it's been two years without a haircut.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I did that once, people always say, "No your hair looks better short." No it don't I'm never cutting it short again!

FdL
2007-08-14, 07:38 PM
I never had long hair because I don't like it, but every time I come back from getting it cut, I feel like you do. It's weird to think that you look some way and then look into the mirror and remember you cut your hair. It's weird and kinda depressing the first few days, but then you get used to it.

You'll get used to it, PhoeKun. Just don't think too much about it. You might even end up liking it.

Eldpollard
2007-08-14, 07:39 PM
One reason I don't have short hair is that I have a birth mark on the side of my head, when I have long hair it can't be seen, however with short hair it's rather noticeable.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-14, 07:40 PM
Not only that, but there's this barber at this place where I used to go, and she would always say how I looked "girly" with long hair and I needed a shorter cut...

Most every place I've been to always cuts off much more than I like. The only place that doesn't, is, unfortunately, 350 something miles from here.

But yeah, I'm going to try and never get my hair cut again if it can be done.

*crosses fingers*

zeratul
2007-08-14, 07:40 PM
I have long hair for the same reason some other people has. Though I don't have much acne anymore, I like to be able to hide behind my hair, allowing me to be noticed less.

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 07:48 PM
You'll get used to it, PhoeKun. Just don't think too much about it. You might even end up liking it.

I would consider this very wise advice if I were a guy (to those of you running off to check the 'You' thread: you are barking up the wrong tree). And this particular haircut is... rather masculine. Getting it layered didn't help anywhere near as much as I thought it would. I had such pretty hair. Why did I let it get mutilated?

FdL
2007-08-14, 07:59 PM
Ow, then it's just waiting for it to grow. And in the meanwhile getting used to it :D There's no alternatives, hair it's faster to cut than to grow.

There's a saying that talks about measuring twice to cut once. Well, in this case the advice would be to think thrice or more, and to carefully explain your limits to the barber. I mean seriously explain you limits :smallannoyed: They tend to do whatever they want. I got my hair cut way shorter than I wanted last time.

Also, just thank the heavens you're not bald(ing) like I am. Yay for positive thinking ^^

Logic
2007-08-14, 08:10 PM
Poor PhoeKun. She is unhappy. We should make her happy.

*Begins scribing a scroll of "Summon Amotis" & a scroll of *Hair Growth, Massive" into spellbook.*

smellie_hippie
2007-08-14, 08:23 PM
Grow it back out.

Let the lockes flow... and you will find joy. Having long hair myself, I get irritated with it from time to time... but will never return to short. It's been about 20 years now... and never shorter than my shoulders.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-14, 08:32 PM
Phooooe... Oh noes!
It's okay. Hair will grow back.

Me want picture.

Lemur
2007-08-14, 08:34 PM
When people tell you that your hair looks better short, the thing to remember is that they're dirty liars who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

A barber's job is to cut hair, and thus barbers feel like they're being more helpful the more hair they cut off. If cutting your hair is absolutely necessary, it may be in your best interests to do it yourself. No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.

FdL
2007-08-14, 08:35 PM
Phooooe... Oh noes!

Me want picture.

Oh, yeah. It should be documented as an reminder for Phoe. So next time he wants to get his hair cut, we'll link the pic ^^

Logic
2007-08-14, 08:36 PM
No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.

I think I may sig that...

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-14, 08:40 PM
Poor Phoe. Hair never looks better short in my opinion unless it's spiked punk-like. Otherwise keep it long.

It's okay. It'll grow back. Just don't listen next time. Or listen to someone else. Siblings are notoriously bad judges of one's appearance. Id' hate to think what'd happen if I listened to mine. :smallamused:

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 08:42 PM
Phooooe... Oh noes!

Me want picture.

Look for the GenCon offering. I'm not taking pictures of this...

Ego Slayer
2007-08-14, 08:45 PM
Look for the GenCon offering. I'm not taking pictures of this...
Someone take a picture of him! I will pay in kisses and the souls of Pixies!

B-Man
Siblings are notoriously bad judges of one's appearance.

How true! My sister keeps bugging me about her hair and how it looks. I've even gone out of my way to say 'I don't pay attention to the looks of my siblings', but she won't stop.

She's always 'You've always hated it blonde, right?' and 'You liked it when I dyed it brown, right?' (although it looked pitch black). I'd like to tell her that looks are irrelevant, but I do not want to sound too uncaring.

Catch
And here I was going to get my long locks snipped this weekend. Now I'm having second thoughts... *shakes fist half-heartedly*

Though I'm a bit tired of being mistaken for a girl in public.

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 08:57 PM
Someone take a picture of her! I will pay in kisses and the souls of Pixies!

I don't think I'll be able to get through the meetup without photos being snapped, so you'll have your blackmail material pictures in a few days. I don't see how it could come to pass that nobody takes a camera.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-14, 08:59 PM
I don't think I'll be able to get through the meetup without photos being snapped, so you'll have your blackmail material pictures in a few days. I don't see how it could come to pass that nobody takes a camera.
I know. I'm just making sure. :smallamused:

Serpentine
2007-08-14, 09:09 PM
First of all Phoekun, do you have boy bits or girl bits? At this stage I'm not interested in "how you feel on the insides", cuz, after all, we're talking about the outside. Sorry if that sounded harsher than I mean it to, I think it might be tempered by increasing annoyance at gender ambiguity :smallyuk:
Anyways (assuming you do, in fact, have boy bits), I think I've figured out that the length I really have a thing for is between the bottom of the ears and the shoulders. So you're still doing alright by me :smallbiggrin: How long was it before, anyway?

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 09:15 PM
It wasn't all one length, but it was hanging just barely above my shoulders before the haircut. So, I suppose I moved from one end of your "all right" scale to the other.

Serpentine
2007-08-14, 09:24 PM
Well, that's okay then.

Oh yeah, there were specific questions in your post, weren't there? Lesee... you're so gullible because you're a sweet, kind soul who would never do anything like that to anyone else and therefore don't expect anyone else to. You keep doing this (believing, I presume) because you have neverending patience and eternal (if perhaps misguided) belief in the innate goodness of those around you. You let yourself get talked into these things because you have greater faith in the judgement of others than of yourself. And no. Noone else has this sort of problem. You're all on your own there, bucko. :smallannoyed:<- stern gaze

By the way, we can't really offer any opinions on whether it really doesn't look any good 'til your post a comparison photo. So get back to us in a few days.

Delaney Gale
2007-08-14, 09:31 PM
Just wait for it to grow back, and in the meantime, smother it with gel, possibly even the fun colored kind. For some reason, bad haircuts can be made palatable with gel and fluffing. This is how I survived the Ringo Starr haircut of 11th grade (gel transformed it to a slightly more attractive Sailor Mercury) and how I am currently surviving the Proto-Mullet. The Proto-Mullet is going away in two days and I have never been more thrilled.

Magioth
2007-08-14, 09:39 PM
short hair is teh sex so i wouldnt worry :)

tannish2
2007-08-14, 09:54 PM
other peoples opinions dont matter on the subject of you. remember that. unless your currently having sex with them, then put some whatsticalled in what they say, but not TOO much, and only if its on your looks. but if you still cant decide, then sure, pay someone to use sharp objects near your head, the closer the better.... there

its a slippery slope from taking advice you know is bad but is important to someone you love to doormat... and beleive me that sucks. you can be nice and an ******* at the same time, or you can politely decline.

and remember, other people often dont know what THEY like, much less what other people like. and are too quick to offer their advice on any subject as an expert. remember, if their not you, they dont know you as well as you do.

oh, and listening to female relatives is NEVER smart. its almost as stupid as listening to male relatives. actually its about the same... i guess its just not a good idea to listen to either,

anyway, for this decision i beleive you should read the second spoiler tag in my signature...

averagejoe
2007-08-14, 09:54 PM
I know what you mean. Whenever I get my hair cut I get a lot of people who tell me it looks better short. (Of course, I usually don't get it cut at all, but every three or four years I shave it all off just to screw with the people I know. :smalltongue: ) All I can say is it's a shame you did this at the end of summer, because things are going to cool down and your head will feel cold. However, it has been my experience that listening to sisters does little good when it comes to one's appearence.

Ranis
2007-08-14, 10:40 PM

Sorry Phoe, I'm bringing a nice digital camera. There was a warning about it in the meetup thread.

And in your defense, I typically can't stand short haircuts on women, so I'm with you on the long-hairness. I'm actually quite a sucker for long hair; I had a huge crush on this chick in high school that had bright red hair down past her knees. *swoon*

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-14, 11:08 PM
I can sympathise. I had to get my hair cut practically every month till I was 16, then I spent a year bumming around polytechnic with a cut every 4 months or so. After that, 2 years in the army, followed by 3 years without a haircut(down to the waist!), then I've been getting it cut about 1 week before any time I need to return to the army.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the main reason I don't like having it cut. Everyone keeps saying how much I look like my dad. And he's always harping on at me about my skin, or my hair, etc. Seriously. I made it to 14 before I got my first zit. And even then, they only come in sporadic bursts. Usually brought on by stress caused by him literally pointing them out to me. As if I can't tell what's on my own face?:smallfurious: *deep breaths. Or as deep as possible with fluid in the lungs*

SweetLikeLemons
2007-08-14, 11:30 PM
Have you washed it yet? In my experience, bad haircuts don't look quite so bad after you get a chance to wash your hair (just like the good haircuts will never look nearly as good as when you first get home from having them done). If that doesn't work, someone already mentioned gel. I second that. If you play with it you may find a way to make it slightly more tolerable until it grows out a bit.
Um... otherwise... hats?

zeratul
2007-08-14, 11:33 PM
Siblings are notoriously bad judges of one's appearance. Id' hate to think what'd happen if I listened to mine. :smallamused:

Someone finally understands *hug*. Ugh I'd have short hair if it were up to them. I love them to death, and they have good taste in their own appearence, but not mine.

PhoeKun
2007-08-15, 12:02 AM
Have you washed it yet? In my experience, bad haircuts don't look quite so bad after you get a chance to wash your hair (just like the good haircuts will never look nearly as good as when you first get home from having them done). If that doesn't work, someone already mentioned gel. I second that. If you play with it you may find a way to make it slightly more tolerable until it grows out a bit.
Um... otherwise... hats?

I just got out of the shower, actually. I also came this close: --><-- to crying while I was combing it. All I can really do at the moment is hope it looks better after it finishes drying.

Are there any particular tricks to using gel in hair? I've never really tried to do much with gel before...

Vhaidara
2007-08-15, 12:07 AM
I'll accept tricks. I recently started growing it long (to the point where it's getting into my eyes), and s***** starts in a few weeks.

Amotis
2007-08-15, 01:04 AM
*cuddle*

Oh stop worrying. You get me tomorrow. :smallbiggrin:

But I also think that it's a common thing for haircutter to do two or three more inches then you tell them to. It happens to me all the time. I also hope that it had nothing to do with my affinity for short hair. :smalleek: That would suck and probably not probable as you're not that easily swayed. :smalltongue:

Not gel so much, it seems, but that molding stuff might work to your favor for a more feminine flavor. The ones that kinda let you mess with the body of the hair, kinda layer it yourself, loosens it more then holds it like gel does. I might have some laying around and bring you some. Yes...I have hair products. Sue me.

But calm down, silly. :smalltongue:

SDF
2007-08-15, 01:47 AM
When I got my haircut a few weeks ago I brought freaking pictures of how I wanted it and she cut it WAY shorter. Eh, I look good regardless :smallcool: but this time I think I'm going to go for Peter Fonda, Easy Rider hair.

Last_resort_33
2007-08-15, 01:58 AM
ummmm..... short....... hair???

nah... I don't get it?

is that some kind of band?

Seriously though, hair grows (I've had 6 years non stop experiance) it'll correct itself in a few months... everyone always thinks that people's hair should be shorter...

If you don't know how to style hair, just brush it lots and you'll be fine

Inyssius Tor
2007-08-15, 02:54 AM
I can feel your situation, sort of. Sorry about your hair... :smallfrown:

For a long time, I've wanted long hair. Unfortunately, my hair is obstinately curly, so if I don't cut my hair short I just look like an idiot.

Malik
2007-08-15, 03:22 AM
I had hair halfway down my back that i had been growing for the past 12 years and today i got it cut off, all i can say is my head and neck now feel cold.

Dragor
2007-08-15, 03:33 AM
I can relate to you, Phoe. I like my hair long. It's in the process of getting down my shoulders now, and that's how I want it. Currently I'm in a messy sort of 'Half-Beatle' mop, which I don't like, but it's a means to an end.

"But you've got to have it cut!" moans my mum. Fine. I'll have it trimmed slightly.

At the hairdressers, it's a constant:

"Cut it short, cut it short, cut it short....."

Until I just shout:

"FINE! CUT IT SHORT!" *slump*

Then I end up with short hair again. Just goes to show how annoying peer pressure is.

Swedish chef
2007-08-15, 03:36 AM
The hair is a big part to many people. about 2 years ago I got this crazy idea that I should stop cutting my hair down to 1cm and actually get a haircut. I had some ideas wich invulved som highlights but i thought "hey I can fix those myself, how hard can it be?" Fortunately I consulted a fashionsavvy friend of mine and her first question was "who does your hair". When I looked at her dumbstruck she sighed and said something like "You dont have a regular hairperson do you?" So I got some strict instructions to "go and see this girl and ask her. She is great and if your idea works on you she will tell you". So I did, wich resulted in me getting a real hairperson. It is expensive, sure but I have learned a lot about my own hair and gone far from the "uuuh i dunno do something nice" to actually beeing able to describe how I want it.

The point of the story is: Get someone who works proffessionally in hair and ask that person for advice. Ask around amongst your friends to get a good one. Let it be costy, because it will be. If youre not happy with the result, change hairperson. A good one should be able to give you pointers on your hair and recommend a good hairdo. They should also be able to give you some pointers on styling.

tannish2
2007-08-15, 04:36 AM
i think the main idea is to not listen to your relatives, they love you, they want whats best for you, but they usually have no ****ing idea what is best for you, and still feel the need to offer advice

onasuma
2007-08-15, 04:50 AM
Just remember, sisters know NOTHING about how your hair should look. Mine doesnt even have a clue about her own. Seriously, she complains about being bullied by chavs, and now shes going to dye her hair green. True story.

Tom_Violence
2007-08-15, 08:41 AM
I had a 'bad' haircut once that upset me a bit. I was 12 at the time. Then a week later I got on with my life. I think more important than what to do with your hair is working out why it bothers you so much. I mean, its just hair, for goodness sake.

I have hair-views quite contrary to most people on these boards, not that I mind one jot. I personally think really long hair (down to your arse) looks disgusting on girls, and though I've never seen it I can only imagine it would look hilarious on guys. But then, I think that most guys with hair past the ears look daft, and much prefer girls with hair around the shoulders or above.

Charity
2007-08-15, 08:58 AM
I had the worst ever hair cut at the age of 15, ignoring all my advice the silly cow hairdresser cut it too short and as i have a double crown, the hair right at the top of my head stood straight up, defying all attempts to tame it, it stayed that way until it grew out. It made me look like a pineapple, not a cool look i can tell thee.
Tom the problem is that most folk use visual clues to determine what they think of you before having met you, particularly when they (and you (not you obviously, you old git, but Phoe, he's quite young)) are young.
If someone has an haircut that makes them look like a plonker, you (not you, you know them, the younguns) are going to think they are a plonker. No matter how much we might feel that looks shouldn't matter we are shown time and again that they do.
Get a cool hat Phoe, and don't worry matey it'll grow... and if it'll make you feel any better, burn down the hairdressers house.

Kidding sheeesh

Sir_Norbert
2007-08-15, 09:14 AM
I haven't had a haircut since December 2003. I'm not planning to keep growing it indefinitely, but when the time comes to trim it a little, there's no way I'd trust a stranger with the job. Too difficult to communicate exactly what you want, too easy to come away wishing you'd never gone. I know what that's like.

As for relatives being bad judges: absolutely. My girlfriend's mother has been trying to get her to submit to the scissors :( but fortunately since she knows how much I love her hair, that gives her the strength she needs to stand up for herself.

Brickwall
2007-08-15, 10:19 AM
Peer pressure on long hair. Oh, how I feel your pain. I've been trying to grow my hair out for a while now (a year, now), starting from a disastrously short haircut (army-length). My hair as curly as it is, it looked a bit silly for a good portion of that time. I had to endure a lot of negative comments, including from my family. However, it's finally getting past the silly stage, and my endurance is paying off. It's not yet at the length I think it will look best at, but it's no longer totally silly. I need to change my bangs, but other than that.

Moral: the people close to you may sometimes know more about you than you, but don't let anyone else decide how your hair should look. They will always be wrong.

Penguinsushi
2007-08-15, 12:03 PM
I can't really relate to your problem, but I can submit that I have a sort of antithesis:

See, I personally think my wife looks *great* with shoulder-length (or just shorter) hair, but, like you, she doesn't like it that short (mostly because it's difficult to get out of her way).

Oh well. :smallsmile:

~PS

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-15, 12:07 PM
I was reminded again today why I hate my hair short. It seems my head is more vulnerable to those crippling pains at the back of the skull, where it feels like you brain is about to explode from your skull, when my hair is shorter.:smallfurious:

Mad Scientist
2007-08-15, 01:44 PM
Don't let anyone bully you into a haircut you don't want/like. My advice is to have a style in mind before you go get a haircut. Find a picture of yourself when you loved your hair and bring it along. Or find a picture in a magazine you like. Make sure you discuss what you want and agree before they even get your hair wet. Also, does your hair shrink a lot when it dries? If they cut your hair when it's damp it will be much shorter when it's dry - especially if you have curly or wavy hair. Remember, they can always cut it shorter, but to make it longer you just have to wait for it to grow.

Mr Croup
2007-08-15, 02:03 PM
The best part of about a bad hair cut is that it's temporary. Hair grows, and any mishap will mend itself with a little time.

That being said, I feel for you. Getting something done to your hair that isn't what you wanted is a huge bummer. But it will pass. As for the future, you might want to grab a picture of what you're looking for to show your stylist. Also, when you have your hair at a length and style that you like, take a reference picture or two that you can show to a stylist. Of course, once you've found your stylist, it shouldn't be an issue. I'm firmly in the camp of paying a decent chunk of change for someone to cut my hair, because I value the appearance of my hair pretty darn highly, and I don't see a problem for paying a higher rate for a higher skilled person.

In the mean time, try playing with different products. Depending on the texture of your hair, you'll want to use different things. Go drop some change on three or four different products, and see what you can come up with using them each, and in different combinations. Maybe you'll stumble upon something that works for you, and at the very least it'll give you a bit of experience in the styling department.

Just remember, that it'll grow back.

RandomNPC
2007-08-15, 06:45 PM
i got a job at a print shop and had to crop a good foot off to get hired, the whole being pulled into a machine by your head thing, not to attractive of an idea. untill then i had my parents on me about cutting it all the time.

Foolosophy
2007-08-16, 03:46 AM
I would consider this very wise advice if I were a guy

and then people come and complain that emancipation isn't progressing...

Gowron
2007-08-16, 04:32 AM
I consulted a fashionsavvy friend of mine and her first question was "who does your hair". When I looked at her dumbstruck she sighed and said something like "You dont have a regular hairperson do you?" So I got some strict instructions to "go and see this girl and ask her. She is great and if your idea works on you she will tell you". So I did, wich resulted in me getting a real hairperson. It is expensive, sure but I have learned a lot about my own hair and gone far from the "uuuh i dunno do something nice" to actually beeing able to describe how I want it.

All too true. I highly recomend getting a regular hair-person for yourself. I'm pretty un-informative about this whole hair-whacking thing, it's nice to have a skilled dude(tte) of whom you can trust.

yIn nI' je chep!

AslanCross
2007-08-16, 04:53 AM
I hate having my hair cut. My mom, who is otherwise a very kind and understanding person, just can't stand it when I have long hair. I get the impression that she thinks I look like an unwashed barbarian or something when my hair is long.

My attitude towards hair got me into trouble in college because of ROTC. I was so glad when the government allowed us to take alternative social service activities instead. Of course, I now have to keep my hair short because I'm a teacher. This whole "long hair = bad, unclean citizen" just really irks me.

MethodicalMeat
2007-08-16, 04:58 AM
Ah hair, personally, I love mine. My long, flowing golden locks of luscious, lovely...*trails off, talking about his hair*
Ahem, anyway, Like Mad Scientist said, don't let folks bully you into cutting it.

LCR
2007-08-16, 07:59 AM
The hair is a big part to many people. about 2 years ago I got this crazy idea that I should stop cutting my hair down to 1cm and actually get a haircut. I had some ideas wich invulved som highlights but i thought "hey I can fix those myself, how hard can it be?" Fortunately I consulted a fashionsavvy friend of mine and her first question was "who does your hair". When I looked at her dumbstruck she sighed and said something like "You dont have a regular hairperson do you?" So I got some strict instructions to "go and see this girl and ask her. She is great and if your idea works on you she will tell you". So I did, wich resulted in me getting a real hairperson. It is expensive, sure but I have learned a lot about my own hair and gone far from the "uuuh i dunno do something nice" to actually beeing able to describe how I want it.

The point of the story is: Get someone who works proffessionally in hair and ask that person for advice. Ask around amongst your friends to get a good one. Let it be costy, because it will be. If youre not happy with the result, change hairperson. A good one should be able to give you pointers on your hair and recommend a good hairdo. They should also be able to give you some pointers on styling.

Are there any real men here? You've LEARNED something about your hair? The only thing I've ever learned in a barber's shop, is that coiffeuses are best when they keep their mouth shut ("You know, I've been to Poland last week ... Prague's just an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G city ..."). :smallwink:

No, really, if I want my hair done, I just tell them I want a haircut like somebody famous. It usually turns out fine for me and I don't have to explain a lot like "yeah, a little shorter on the sides, but GOD, not that short ...".
And yes, my hair looks great, thank you very much.

Toxic Avenger
2007-08-16, 08:41 AM
This whole "long hair = bad, unclean citizen" just really irks me.And it irks me as well. I had long hair once, many years ago. Once I graduated with my engineering degree, though, I cut it short. I figured that my chance of finding a job as an engineer while having long hair would be absolute zero.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-08-16, 10:38 AM
It's gotten to the point where I refuse to have my hair styled. My mom pesters me for it. My boss keeps badgering me for it because my hair is longer that the damn visor. I told her to get actual full hats. I mean I'm at the point where my hair is too short to tie back.

Ferreon
2007-08-18, 12:56 PM
This is why my prefered (sp?) haircut is number two razor. All over.

It isn't actually possible to get it wrong, and it looks pretty good (or so I'm told, by non relatives). It also dries easier after a shower

bosssmiley
2007-08-18, 01:03 PM

Longhaired scruffy hippy that y'are! :smallwink:

(it's #1 or nothing for me now. Total lack of heuvo hair is ~sooooooo~ manageable)

Mattarias, King.
2007-08-18, 03:13 PM
Ugh, I feel your pain, Phoekun. For quite a while I've allowed myself to get duped into getting my hair cut really shrot, and thus it's ended up in many an afro joke. :smallsigh:

But no more! I'm rejecting all haircuts until my hair is at least back-length! :smallyuk:

My girlfriend likes it short, though. Says it adds to my head's AC.. :smallsigh: Plus, she likes bouncing calculators off it, so I'm afraid getting long hair might sadden her.

(Go, Soten Kissun..?)

Cruxador
2007-08-18, 06:24 PM

It isn't actually possible to get it wrong, and it looks pretty good (or so I'm told, by non relatives). It also dries easier after a shower

So you would think, but that's what my brother gets, and someone has still managed to mess it up. :smalltongue: I have no idea how she did it, but she did.

Extra_Crispy
2007-08-19, 01:37 AM

Ditto. But I only use the razor because my hair started comming out on top. (genes and 14K volts of electricity) I used to have hair down to my knees, as I am 6' 4" tall, that was a LOT of hair. I feel your pain Phoe, I love long hair. Even after my accident I had the long hair (though I had to grow it back) but slowly it got thinner and thinner. Started looking bad long so I cut it business short. Still did not look great and started making me look older so it got brought up in conversation one time about possibly shaving it off. Been using the razor on it the past 3 years and I look much better with it shaved, but I still miss my long hair.

Brickwall
2007-08-19, 01:45 AM
Ditto. But I only use the razor because my hair started comming out on top. (genes and 14K volts of electricity) I used to have hair down to my knees, as I am 6' 4" tall, that was a LOT of hair. I feel your pain Phoe, I love long hair. Even after my accident I had the long hair (though I had to grow it back) but slowly it got thinner and thinner. Started looking bad long so I cut it business short. Still did not look great and started making me look older so it got brought up in conversation one time about possibly shaving it off. Been using the razor on it the past 3 years and I look much better with it shaved, but I still miss my long hair.

PhoeKun is still at the height of his youth, and as a strapping young man, he has little to worry about his hair getting too thin anytime soon. I shall take these words to heart, however, for when I am old.

Extra_Crispy
2007-08-19, 01:55 AM
PhoeKun is still at the height of his youth, and as a strapping young man, he has little to worry about his hair getting too thin anytime soon. I shall take these words to heart, however, for when I am old.

Never said I was old. Getting close to middle age (32) but not old. Though it does not matter on age as I knew a guy that was bald at 18 (he looked 40, never got carded for buying alcohol) and a guy that was completly gray at 23.

Just saying I feel for Phoe as I know what it is like to lose the long hair you love. All I can say is, like everyone else said, it will grow back and when it does dont listen to others about how you should have it. Now you know you really hate it short so no more short hair cuts.

FdL
2007-08-19, 12:37 PM
I have to say I prefer short hair. Obviously for me, but also in others.

hippie_dwarf
2007-08-19, 04:28 PM
I can feel your situation, sort of. Sorry about your hair... :smallfrown:

For a long time, I've wanted long hair. Unfortunately, my hair is obstinately curly, so if I don't cut my hair short I just look like an idiot.

Don't let that stop you! Mines bloomin' curly and for the first 6 months of me growing it it was an afro :smallcool: . Granted it's a BI*** to comb (you can't brush it, it's impossible, trust me) and when i do tonnes of hair comes out (:smalleek:) but it's been growing for two years strong now. I do look like an idiot but i happen to like it* whereas very few people i know do. I do have it in a ponytale alot of the time now so i get less comments but it's still nice to have it down every once in a while.

I cut it for the first time in ages a few weeks back because it was all split-endy and felt like straw, and because of that when i tied it back my fringe wasn't quite long enough so it kept flopping in my face. Annoying but worth it :smalltongue:.

My sister is nearly always "but your hair looked so nice short". Naff off love. Keep it long, keep it curly, forever :smallbiggrin:

*My hair is know by people as 'The Hair' like it's an actual entity rather than just hair