PDA

View Full Version : How does Fearful Empowerment affect summons?

Incarnate
2017-10-03, 07:56 AM
Fearful Empowerment (Su):
Starting at 3rd level, once per day you can add the fear descriptor to any spell you cast that has some sort of visual manifestation. For example, you could apply it to a fireball, to a summon monster spell, or to any visual illusion, but not to charm person, since that spell does not directly create any visual effect. Creatures targeted by a spell modified by fearful empowerment must make a Will save (DC equal to 10 + your class level + your Cha modifier) or become shaken for 1d4 rounds; this is in addition to any other effects the spell might
have. Your save DC bonuses from master of terror apply to this spell.
At 5th level, you can invoke this power twice per day.

The above specifically states that it can add the fear descriptor to any spell you cast, including when summoning a monster. It also states that creatures targeted by a spell modified by fearful empowerment must make a will save or become shaken for 1d4 rounds which is in addition to any other effect the spell might have. So how exactly does it affect the summon monster spell since the spell in it self doesn't target anyone?

I can only see two logical outcomes, but maybe I'm missing something.

1: Those that see it being summoned would be affected, however by RAW they're not targets which would make the outcome invalid, which suggests that it would be an incorrect ruling.

2: The entry from Summon Monster:
It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. This suggests that it would be the monsters targets who become affected by the effect.

Anyone know the correct ruling on this?

Psyren
2017-10-03, 08:18 AM
As written it wouldn't, since summons don't target, but the intent clearly was that it would have some interaction with them. I would therefore rule that it activates on targets of the summons' attacks or SLAs, and that if they successfully resist, they are immune from further attacks by that specific summon.

Necroticplague
2017-10-03, 09:21 AM
Anyone know the correct ruling on this?

It does nothing for summoning spells. It specifically affects 'creatures targeted by the spell...'. For summoning spells, there's no creature that fits this description (since, as you pointed out, there's no target). Thus, it does nothing. A lot of spells fall into this category, of 'technically, can use it, but it does nothing'. Like various Walls, most Figments, a lot of Creations.

Incarnate
2017-10-03, 01:36 PM
It does nothing for summoning spells. It specifically affects 'creatures targeted by the spell...'. For summoning spells, there's no creature that fits this description (since, as you pointed out, there's no target). Thus, it does nothing. A lot of spells fall into this category, of 'technically, can use it, but it does nothing'. Like various Walls, most Figments, a lot of Creations.

It would seem kind of stupid to create it as such and more so if thats intended why even mention it? Because it really makes no sense to mention it in the text that it can be combined with summon monster spells and when it does nothing. By RAW it would be the only correct ruling as it doesn't specifically state what in such cases. To me it seems that something is missing, perhaps there is something about it in an errata?

Psyren
2017-10-03, 02:37 PM
It would seem kind of stupid to create it as such and more so if thats intended why even mention it? Because it really makes no sense to mention it in the text that it can be combined with summon monster spells and when it does nothing. By RAW it would be the only correct ruling as it doesn't specifically state what in such cases. To me it seems that something is missing, perhaps there is something about it in an errata?

Necrotic is correct by RAW but this is one case where we can be sure of RAI, so just have your GM run it as intended.

And no, Heroes of Horror has no errata. It was pretty badly edited too.

Incarnate
2017-10-03, 03:11 PM
Necrotic is correct by RAW but this is one case where we can be sure of RAI, so just have your GM run it as intended.

And no, Heroes of Horror has no errata. It was pretty badly edited too.

Same goes for the Rules Compendium, it has no ruling either. So quite clearly it has to be by RAI rather than by RAW.
Since I'm the GM, I'm interested to hear how you guys would rule it. Although it quite obviously seems like its intended as its the monsters targets that are supposed to be targets of the effect.

Psyren
2017-10-03, 03:16 PM
You can find my ruling in my initial reply (I go with RAI, that it makes your summons scary.)