PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Best Forms For Alter Self (Personal)

Gazrok
2017-10-03, 03:44 PM
I saw a closed thread on good forms for alter self, but I disagreed with the choices. Alter Self can be one of the most versatile spells in the game, giving you the ability to breathe underwater, fly, even burrow. In addition, it can give you a bonus to AC, and even temporary use of Feats and skill bonuses. It's the Swiss Army knife of spells.

Myself:

If I want to fly...Gargoyle. +3 AC, fly at 60, Claws and Bite, along with MultiAttack Feat, and bonuses to Hide, Spot, and Listen.

If I want to swim...Sahaugin. +5 AC, swim at 60, Claws and Bite, along with a ton of skill bonuses, and MultiAttack, Greater Fortitude Feats.

If I want to be a big guy...Minotaur, L Size, +5 AC, Reach of 10' due to size, Horns doing 1d8, good skill bonuses, and Great Fortitude, Track, and Power Attack Feats. - My character is a Sorcerer/Monk, so this is a really good choice for him when he can fit it.

So many possibilities.

Venger
2017-10-03, 04:03 PM
what type are you? monstrous humanoid?

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-03, 04:17 PM
Human. Most PCs are humanoids, and you gain bonus skills and bonus feats via alter self, which are mostly undefined for humans. It's kind of like the chameleon's floating feat, but better. And unlike with polymorph, you keep your own physical stats, so you won't have 10s across the board.

Kobold Esq
2017-10-03, 04:50 PM
It has been years since I last played, but at that time my go to was lizardfolk for the natural armor. Great duration means it lasts for multiple fights, and makes for an excellent buff starting at very low level. A gish can pump their AC very quickly, at a level where AC is still a viable way to prevent damage. Also it doesn't require digging through a lot of supplements and convincing your DM that your character is aware that some super rare creature exists.