PDA

View Full Version : Confusing fusion scenarios by RAW

AthasianWarlock
2017-10-04, 09:07 AM
The power fusion from expanded psionics handbook is giving me a headache. Consider some possibilities:

You fuse with a dragon you have charmed. Later you are hit by Mage's Disjunction. The fusion ends obviously but is the charm dispelled?

You fuse with a dragon, then you use True Mind Switch with a beholder. Do both minds go to the new body? If so do they unfuse when the fusion duration ends? Or do both minds stay in the new body. What happens if the old body dies?

You fuse with a wizards. Then you manifest mind seed. Does the mind seed grow as a wizard/psion or just as the psion?

icefractal
2017-10-04, 04:37 PM
It's a pretty unclear power. Mainly, it isn't clear what happens to the component beings while the fused being is in existence:
A) They don't exist.
B) They exist 'inside' the fused being.
C) The fused being counts as being both of them, in addition to itself.

I'm not even sure which makes the most sense, they all have issues. I was going to answer the questions, but I think I have to consider it more.

Given that mental capabilities are also fused, and you can't take two sets of mental actions, we unfortunately can't use the relatively straightforward "two minds in one fused body" approach.

Therefore, for #2, I'm going to say that the fused mind goes in the beholder's body. When the duration ends, the fused body splits into two corpses, the beholder's body has one of the component minds in it, and both the other component mind and beholder are dead.

Bonus question:
4) You fuse with a Wu Jen who just cast Transcend Mortality. What happens after 17 rounds?

Zakerst
2017-10-04, 05:04 PM
So I'm away from my books but as far as I can intuit when you fuse you create a gestalt mind (containing aspects and indeed the whole of the two entities but also not identical to either).
So for the fusing with a charmed dragon I would assume the charm would still be active as the disjunction wouldn't have line of effect to the dragon itself when the spell went off, just the fused creature.
As for the true mind switching to the beholder, well the beholder ends up in the fused body which is doomed to split apart and it No longer has an "original body" to return to so likely ceases to exist. The two other entities when the fusion ends also do not have their "original bodies" to return to so would also cease to exist. (this conclusion is drawn off wording I only half remember so could be wrong)