PDA

View Full Version : The Duckborn

gameogre
2017-10-04, 01:47 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/db/ee/3b/dbee3b1e243f041cf63cb50bad5982b5--johan-rogues.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/236x/c6/8c/a8/c68ca8f2a6b5adb48d1468f12a2da56a--character-art-character-design.jpg

The Duckborn

The Duckborn's origins are now shrouded in mystery and but two main myths are told by the duckmen themselves. One is that long ago during the Great Wizards War a entire town of humans was struck by a curse and those not outright killed were slowly altered over time to become the original Duckborn. The second is much as the same but that it was not a curse as such by a evil wizard but a simple byproduct of the town living in the middle of The Waste of that War.

Either way the Duckborn are now a race of people that live and work in the Wasteland and that are slowly spreading out tot he rest of the world from that location.

Duckborn stand 3'-4' in height and have very similar musculature to humans.Their water repellent feathers have a fur like quality that covers most of their bodies. Only their Bills and Finns stand out as totally different.

Duckborn lifespan is similar to humans but they do not seem to suffer many of the age degradations that humans do.

Duckborn Traits

Your duckborn character has certain characteristics in common with all other duckborn.

Ability Score Increase: Any three of your Ability Scores each increase by 1.

Size: you are a medium creature.

Speed:25 Duckborn are slightly slower than humans on land but move at a speed of 30' in the water.

The Luck of the Duck-Your duckborn character is more effected by magic than is normal. This has both a good and bad side effect. You suffer disadvantage on all physical saves verse magic. Your body just seems to soak up magic more readily than others. This also means physical beneficial effects of magic are also increased! You heal almost double the normal amount from healing spells and buffs and other beneficial physical effects that have random effects are automatically at there most powerful durations or effects.

gameogre
2017-10-04, 01:50 PM
My first draft of the Duckborn idea.

I always loved those old Duck characters of mine from some game I used to play as a kid.

With Dragonborn and tieflings and Halfings and frogmen and so many other races being added to D&D 5E, I thought it was time for The Duckborn!

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-04, 01:51 PM
If you don't name your character Howard, then you've missed a great opportunity.

nickl_2000
2017-10-04, 01:53 PM
If you don't name your character Howard, then you've missed a great opportunity.

Howard would be a good name for an inquisitive Duckborn, but what about Scrooge, Donald, Darkwing, Huey, Duey, Loey?

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-04, 01:54 PM
Howard would be a good name for an inquisitive Duckborn, but what about Scrooge, Donald, Darkwing, Huey, Duey, Loey?

Oh sure, and just leave out Daffy?

gameogre
2017-10-04, 01:55 PM
The Duckborn rise!https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/352172795502919683/365187783733674005/Duckman.png

nickl_2000
2017-10-04, 01:55 PM
Oh sure, and just leave out Daffy?

Yup, to heck with him.

gameogre
2017-10-04, 01:57 PM
Seriously, err ok so not the best choice of words but.........

Really, what about the race? Does it seem balanced? The Luck of the Duck seems to be both horrible (Disadvantage to all physical saves verse magic is HUGE) but getting the max benefits from buffs and heals seems equally awesome.

What do you think?

nickl_2000
2017-10-04, 02:01 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/db/ee/3b/dbee3b1e243f041cf63cb50bad5982b5--johan-rogues.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/236x/c6/8c/a8/c68ca8f2a6b5adb48d1468f12a2da56a--character-art-character-design.jpg

The Duckborn

The Duckborn's origins are now shrouded in mystery and but two main myths are told by the duckmen themselves. One is that long ago during the Great Wizards War a entire town of humans was struck by a curse and those not outright killed were slowly altered over time to become the original Duckborn. The second is much as the same but that it was not a curse as such by a evil wizard but a simple byproduct of the town living in the middle of The Waste of that War.

Either way the Duckborn are now a race of people that live and work in the Wasteland and that are slowly spreading out tot he rest of the world from that location.

Duckborn stand 3'-4' in height and have very similar musculature to humans.Their water repellent feathers have a fur like quality that covers most of their bodies. Only their Bills and Finns stand out as totally different.

Duckborn lifespan is similar to humans but they do not seem to suffer many of the age degradations that humans do.

Duckborn Traits

Your duckborn character has certain characteristics in common with all other duckborn.

Ability Score Increase: Any three of your Ability Scores each increase by 1.

Size: you are a medium creature.

Speed:25 Duckborn are slightly slower than humans on land but move at a speed of 30' in the water.

The Luck of the Duck-Your duckborn character is more effected by magic than is normal. This has both a good and bad side effect. You suffer disadvantage on all physical saves verse magic. Your body just seems to soak up magic more readily than others. This also means physical beneficial effects of magic are also increased! You heal almost double the normal amount from healing spells and buffs and other beneficial physical effects that have random effects are automatically at there most powerful durations or effects.

Comments on the race - Seems kind of unfleshed out to me.
1) I dislike the whole "pick two attributes to add pluses to" idea. You must have an idea of what ducks would excel at, run with it.
2) It actually seems underpowered to me. Most races have 4-5 different abilities, this has 2 (swim speed and luck that has a negative and positive)
3) Luck of the duck needs to be fleshed out. I assume that physical saves are Con, Dex, and Str right? This would be brutal. I don't think the plus balance it out.
4) Why can't a duck fly?
5) What languages do you get?
6) Any bonuses to skills?

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-04, 02:02 PM
Seriously, err ok so not the best choice of words but.........

Really, what about the race? Does it seem balanced? The Luck of the Duck seems to be both horrible (Disadvantage to all physical saves verse magic is HUGE) but getting the max benefits from buffs and heals seems equally awesome.

What do you think?

It's going to be highly dependent on who the DM throws at the party. If the DM uses a decent amount of spellcasters, I could see this going horribly wrong for the character. Disadvantage on things like Fireballs, Lightning Bolts, Fingers of Death, Disintegrate, etc.

On the flip side, besides things like Bless, I'm having trouble remembering what spells might be affected by the second part of the benefit.

Also, you only seem to have two racial traits here (the swim speed, plus luck of the duck). I would give them at least one more, probably two, even if they are minor. Most races get between 3-5 racial traits (including sub-race features).

Coffee_Dragon
2017-10-04, 02:05 PM
I always loved those old Duck characters of mine from some game I used to play as a kid.

Originally Runequest, and adapted into at least one other game.

This should probably be in the homebrew forum, though.

Willie the Duck
2017-10-04, 02:14 PM

Runequest

With Dragonborn and tieflings and Halfings and frogmen and so many other races being added to D&D 5E, I thought it was time for The Duckborn!

Sure, but what is your conceptual framing of your ducks? Dragonborn get dragon strength and breath. Tiefling get some demonic magic and... charisma I guess. Tortles are slow and have a medium-high natural armor. Lizardfolk are... well aligators (chalk that one up to EGG's odd mind). Aside from a swim speed, what do your ducks have that is ducky (are they played by Jon Cryer)? Is this luck of the duck from rhyming or is it a RQ thing?

Comments on the race - Seems kind of unfleshed out to me.
1) I dislike the whole "pick two attributes to add pluses to" idea. You must have an idea of what ducks would excel at, run with it.

Waddle with it. Trust me, I know. :smallbiggrin:

8wGremlin
2017-10-04, 02:15 PM
Shouldn't this be on the homebrew forum?

MeeposFire
2017-10-04, 04:49 PM
Yup, to heck with him.

Are you sure he is the MIGHTY WIZARD!

https://youtu.be/3Oe7Q8OCm5I

Chugger
2017-10-05, 02:27 AM
Hah, you made me think of something absurd - Dwarf Dynasty! Huge beards - spells that fizzle - thick Southern accents - they always have to fireball giant beaver dams - and other such hijinx. Oh, good times for sure!