PDA

View Full Version : Cool character concepts

Kane0
2017-10-04, 05:27 PM
Hi All,

Looking to build a nice list of cool and unique character concepts that my group can take a lucky dip from if they need a character real quick and don't want to be Joe Fighter XVII. Note we houserule in a racial or half feat at level 1, but here are some I've gathered already:

Scrimshaw (Feral Tiefling Thug Rogue / Barbarian)
Bonus Feat: Infernal Constitution
Background: Criminal
Scrimshaw has spent most of his life in prison, learning the tricks of the trade from other inmates during his long incarceration. Scrimshaw has struck lucky and been bailed out by an unknown benefactor in return for doing some dirty work for him (or her).
Special trick: Fire Resistance + Danger Sense + Evasion + Shield Mastery = “Fireball me!”

Squeeb (Kobold Lore Bard)
Bonus Feat: Second Chance
Background: Entertainer
Squeeb used to be a sniveling henchman of a mighty blueblood villain before their untimely demise at the hands of adventurers. Unaccustomed to freedom and suffering from acute Stockholm syndrome, Squeeb has been searching for a new master to fill the void in his life.

Desther (Human Theurge Wizard)
Bonus Feat: Prodigy
Backgroudn: Acolyte
Desther is an Ur-Priest, a man who deals in the perilous business of using divine power from the gods without having received it conventionally. He avoids posing as a priest like others in his trade do, preferring to lie low and pursue the life of an average mage travelling the lands with a lucrative healing business on the side.

Turnkey Shiji (Human or Changeling Mimicborn Sorcerer w/ Subtle Spell)
Bonus Feat: Prodigy/Actor
Background: Spy
Shiji is a professional infiltrator and assassin, using a mix of magic and talent to fulfil his missions for the Harpers. His nickname comes from one job where he impersonated a prison guard and released a large number of prisoners during his extraction

Xanos (Elf [Any Class])
Bonus Feat: Observant
Background: Noble
Xanos was a rich human not too long ago, but his reckless behavior one day resulted in his death after some gambling and a subsequent brawl. His family used his riches to have him reincarnated and he returned to life as an elf. Unfortunately the costly procedure bankrupt Xanos and a combination of enhanced senses and lack of sleep has driven him quite mad. Only his two closest servants still follow him as he roams in search of his wealth and a cure to his ‘affliction’.

Ix (Warforged Dragon Sorcerer)
Bonus Feat: Dragon Hide
Background: Soldier
Ix runs on dragon blood. If it doesn’t get a fresh dose every few weeks/months/years it runs the risk of system failure and permanent shutdown. As a side effect of all the dragon blood running through it at any given time it has developed Draconic powers, which assists greatly in obtaining dragonblood samples.

Aldwyn (Lizardfolk/Dragonborn Ranger)
Bonus Feat: Medic
background: Outlander
Aldwyn is an old and experienced hunter in the swampy/forested region he inhabits. He is often seen around town selling his prizes and is known to sell his services as a guide to adventurers. He is notoriously laconic and antisocial but equally well known for his cool temperament and sense of fairness.

Anybody else got some cool additions to add to the lucky dip hat?

Potato_Priest
2017-10-04, 05:39 PM
Here's an old character of mine.

Krusty MacFarlane
(Human Arcane trickster rogue)
Background: Sage
Half feat: Stealth or Deception UA skill feats.
Recently kicked out of a mage's college after a long period of cheating and lying to make his way through, he now poses as a wizard for the respect of strangers. Secretly though, he sucks at magic.

Hypersmith
2017-10-04, 07:52 PM
I just wanted to roll with a pseudo spellsword, so I recently made a gith samurai who's gonna pick up spell sniper for booming blade and PAM. It's a dumb gimmick that makes a character with a set subclass play out some gish without going all in on the spells, but it's my dumb gimmick and I like it.

Another fun one I'm looking forward to is a kenku inquisitive rogue/light cleric, to make an inquisitor. Not the best synergy, but at least a high wisdom is cool. Trickster cleric might have made more sense, but I want to burn his foes in righteous fire, so here we are.

Protato
2017-10-04, 08:34 PM
Two ideas, based on villains from a session I've been running.

An Aarakocra Assassin named Aleksandar that specializes in thrown knives or darts, shortbows, and generally uses ranged attacks whenever possible. He's employed to a mysterious master, one that won't make himself known but who clearly holds a lot of influence. He may be willing to give advice, even to enemies, and holds a lot of good in his heart, but at once is a believer that whatever his master says is correct.

Another idea is Petyr, a minor arc villain. Variant Human Fire Dragon Sorcerer with Elemental Adept (Fire) for the feat, he's a bit of a pyromaniac, and by "a bit", I mean he burns things (and people) for fun, or when frustrated. He's a really rather snobbish noble, is part of some sort of religious or magical group (possibly with draconic ties), and everything he does he does to rise in the ranks.

Quoxis
2017-10-05, 04:32 AM
Sigwyr, black dragonborn golden draconic sorcerer, criminal background.

Used to be a marauding bandit, his group got attacked by a young golden dragon they accidentally startled, and he was one of the few survivors. Out of spite and curiosity he ate parts of the slain dragon youngling, and as he awoke the next day he found himself invigorated, with a golden shine to his black scales and magically active - he had consumed part of the dragon's magic. Now he's on a journey to find, kill and eat more dragons in the pursuit of power.

Spore
2017-10-05, 05:46 AM
Tao
"Panda-Folk" Barbarian
Tao was brought up in an eastern seeming monastery. He was taught everything about inner balance, meditating and peace. Except he never cared about all these qualities. He was in it to rough-house with the other students. He liked the tranquil environment to relax and eat more than his fair share. After being old enough he was kicked out of the monastery to "find his own way".

If you fight "monk-like" unarmed or if you just rip out a big pole (refluffed great maul) and try to hurt people with that is your choice. Just do everything in your power to look like "stereotypical monk character" and then unleash barbaric hell upon your enemies.

Throne12
2017-10-05, 08:19 AM
H3A1B0T Warforge life cleric
He was created to work at a hospital. But never made it too the hospital. Do yo his arcane writting program he has a love for children and life it self. He came across a order of life clergy and became a cleric of a life gob. Going from town to town healing and giving lollipops to children.

Bulletproof Jimmy v-human gunslinger
Feat was healer
Weapons were a lot of pistols and a shield
He would shoot drop and draw. At the time I used the close quarters shooting fighting style. And used mat Mercer gunslinger fighter Archetype. You can just use the battle master and for the half feat give the no disadvantage on range in melee from crossbow expert.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-05, 11:30 AM
Devo (Vhuman Ranger 2 / Red Dragon Sorcerer w/ Subtle + Twin, take sorcerer 1 first)
Bonus Feat: Spell Sniper
Background: Entertainer
Devo was once a traveling circus performer, using his inherent magic to entertain the crowd and his ranger skills to keep his caravan safe, fed, and on track. He's turned to a life of adventuring. With his red scales, whip, shield, and repertoire of support spells, he's tough, versatile, and valuable to the team.
Special Trick: use Greenflame Blade + Spell Sniper to whip a target up to ten feet away, damaging him and an adjacent enemy. Twin it for double the damage.

Theodoxus
2017-10-05, 01:41 PM
H3A1B0T Warforge life cleric
He was created to work at a hospital. But never made it to the hospital. Due to his arcane writing program, he has a love for children and life itself. He came across an order of life clergy and became a cleric of a life god. Going from town to town healing and giving lollipops to children.

I love this concept (and cleared up what I assume are 'typing from phone' errors). I'd probably take it one step further and give him shiny black armor, a grimace for a visage (think Darth Vader) and then every time he enters a new town have him shout "Where the white chidren (sic) at?"

8wGremlin
2017-10-05, 04:41 PM
A friend challenged me to build challenge - 1st level build a bard who pretends to be a wizard

Thadius Bazard is a REAL wizard, he has a book, and a long beard, and his staff has a knob on the end, he even wears robes!.... He can cast 'firebolt' that's a wizard cantrip, a minor magic US mages can cast. He even has a familiar; CherrySparkleWings the II!

Honest to goodness Wizard, don't believe him? Insight vs his deceive

Bard: vHuman, Magic Initiate (wizard: find familiar, firebolt, prestidigitation)

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bxi_8r8IS2dNa09leHJjYnNVSGM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1447193978663865&set=p.1447193978663865&type=3

Scarfking
2017-10-05, 04:43 PM
Im not good with names, so i'll let you name this guy:

Warforged/Revanant Paladin, Oath of Vengance.
Feat: Skilled OR Alert.
Background: Acolyte
You were constructed in the church of a god. One day, the believers of an opposing religion attacked and destroyed your church, killing everyone, including you. Your god took pity on you and revived you. It is now your duty to hunt down and destroy every trace of the religion that destroyed you and your friends.

8wGremlin
2017-10-05, 04:44 PM
Tiberius K DragonHeart - Bard (cough: wizard pretending to be) , you may have heard of him from other exploits of his.

He has a cocky grin, a fabulous hat, and coat, and shirt, and britches, which bulge in the most chondathan of places.
he has his trusty rapier by his side, but prefers wit with words over meer swordplay.... and listen he can play the lute, and can even sing for his supper, he's even vicious in his mockery!

Wizard, vHuman Magic Initiate: Bard (vicious mockery)

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bxi_8r8IS2dNQnlPQ0ZTRUVOSHM

Krazyfan1
2017-10-16, 11:29 PM
John the River Devil Salesperson
he travels the world finding interesting things to sell back home.
He stores things in his stomach to hide them, and can also store people there as well if needed.
a bit of a Kelptomaniac, if he sees something interesting, he might swallow it to retrieve later.
likes to dive for treasure, and would prefer to fight underwater if needed (especially if the foe can't breath underwater)
Knows the shape water cantrip, and the Create water spell and will use them to his advantage (hard to reach the surface if the very water itself is impeding your progress)
not afraid to eat his opponent if there's not many other options.
can eat most organic things.

Frank the Warforged Crab/spider (Arachnid chasis)
Relativly new to the world, Frank enjoys the finer things in life.
helping nice people, being helpful, and exploring underwater.
he knows the shape water cantrip (his creators wanted him for watering the garden)
and is able to spin his clawed hands (that can fold out to reveal smaller humanoid hands inside that fold away when not needed) as propellers.
had a day job a while back where he attached himself to a cruise ship and acted as the propeller/secret guard.
was very good at the whole "tackle someone overboard, grapple them and hold on tight as they sink under the waves until they fall unconscious" bit.

nickl_2000
2017-10-17, 06:44 AM
A Warforged Forge Cleric (I like Warforged Forge).
He is sad an alone in the world as one of the few members of his species, so he devotes all his spare time and treasure to using his skill to create more of his species