PDA

View Full Version : Learning epic spells from others

Hiro Quester
2017-10-04, 05:57 PM
If one character has developed an epic spell, and has it written in a spell book, can others learn it from the Spell Book?

Asking because we just "acquired" an epic wizard's spellbook.

I'm sure I remember a rule mentioning this, but I now can't find it.

ViperMagnum357
2017-10-04, 06:14 PM
Epic Spells need to be scribed on stone tablets, and each tablet is one-use-only for the purposes of learning. Right there in the Epic Spells rules.

ELH page 91, and it doubles the Spellcraft for the final spell.

tyckspoon
2017-10-04, 06:28 PM
Epic Spells would not normally be written in a spellbook - an Epic Spell works more like a spontaneous spellcasters' Spells Known. If you want the spell in its entirety recorded and learnable, that would use the rules for scribing it on a tablet as mentioned by ViperMagnum357.. but there's very little reason for some random Wizard to have bothered to completely redevelop his own Epic Spell just so he could record it into a tablet for some random other person to use. If you're interested in an Epic Spell the Wizard had and want to develop it yourself, I would consider asking your DM if maybe the Wizard's development notes can be found in his spellbook - the insight into the process from those could potentially be worth a reduction in the development time or cost of the spell when you want to learn it yourself.

Hiro Quester
2017-10-04, 07:59 PM
Thanks. I knew I'd seen something about scribing them. But I was looking for a spellbok, not stone tablets.

So no shortcuts to developing epic spells. Expectable, but frustrating.