PDA

View Full Version : Kalashtar + "human only" stuff

Yogibear41
2017-10-05, 12:26 AM
Are Kalashtar considered human enough to take feats/prestige classes that are normally only available to humans? such as the Able Learner feat.

If not, could they take the Human Heritage feat from Races of Destiny to allow them to qualify for such feats/classes?

Rebel7284
2017-10-05, 12:49 AM
While their subtype doesn't seem to be given, the race description says several times that the Kalashtar are not human. Whether or not they qualify with Human Heritage is a DM call. I'd be okay with it.

bahamut920
2017-10-05, 04:51 AM
Any humanoid is assumed to only have their own race's subtype unless otherwise specified. Technically, not even half-elves or half-orcs qualify for "human only stuff", because by RAW they only have the elf and orc subtypes, respectively. Giving them the human subtype is an optional rule first provided in Races of Destiny, and the rule text suggests that other human-descended creatures (such as planetouched, and even half-dragons/celestials/fiends) should be made humanoids with the human subtype in addition to any others they may have. It's an odd rule that I don't entirely agree with, although I support giving half-elves and other creatures of the humanoid type with human ancestry the human subtype.

Kalashtar are not listed as having the human subtype, so they are Humanoid (kalashtar, psionic) only, and do not gain any of the benefits or suffer any of the drawbacks of being human.

DrMotives
2017-10-05, 07:56 AM
Any humanoid is assumed to only have their own race's subtype unless otherwise specified. Technically, not even half-elves or half-orcs qualify for "human only stuff", because by RAW they only have the elf and orc subtypes, respectively. Giving them the human subtype is an optional rule first provided in Races of Destiny, and the rule text suggests that other human-descended creatures (such as planetouched, and even half-dragons/celestials/fiends) should be made humanoids with the human subtype in addition to any others they may have. It's an odd rule that I don't entirely agree with, although I support giving half-elves and other creatures of the humanoid type with human ancestry the human subtype.

Kalashtar are not listed as having the human subtype, so they are Humanoid (kalashtar, psionic) only, and do not gain any of the benefits or suffer any of the drawbacks of being human.

If a human has the "human" subtype, half-dragon and half-fiend won't take that away, those templates never take away subtypes. Having a half-elf or a half-orc not have that subtype when a template that changes type to dragon leaves it intact is really really weird. If you want to houserule that certain human-only things need the race to be human and not just the subtype, I can understand. But having a half-dragon human be a dragon (human) while a half-elf is a humanoid (elf) and not a humanoid (elf, human) makes no sense whatsoever.

gkathellar
2017-10-05, 09:36 AM
The rules answer is no.

The fluff answer is, "kalashtar are descended from humans, but have had eons to differentiate themselves. They are not human-quori hybrids, but something distinct that resulted from a mental and physical merger."