PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What class to play?

Nautilust
2017-10-05, 05:26 AM
So I've sat down and subtracted myself from trying to just be powerful and looked for some options that are flavorful and powerful.

So far I've come up with

Shugenja/Void Disciple (One of my favorites)
Wu Jen/Jade Pheonix Mage
Bard/Sublime Chord (Party could use buffs/and 9th level spells as a bard.)
Cleric/Master of Shrouds (another favorite i just love necromancy)
Necromancer/Pale Master (again I love necromancy)
Druid
Cleric/Incarnate/Sapphire Heirarch
Wizard/Incarnate/Soulcaster

The two necromancy options are out cause my Gm would force me to be evil and the group wouldn't allow that. The bard option is out because my Gm wants bards to sing (No Thank You!).

At the moment my leanings go from greatest to worst.

Shugenja/Void Disciple
Wu Jen/Jade Pheonix Mage
Druid
Cleric/Incarnate/Sapphire Heirarch
Wizard/Incarnate/Soulcaster

I guess first I should ask if I can play oriental classes

tiercel
2017-10-05, 09:57 PM
Well.... if you like the idea of bard, you might see if your DM always makes the player sing or just always makes the player perform, as the latter might be a lot more tolerable with Perform (Oratory). [“Friends, countrymen, Furyondians, lend me your ears....”]

(That’s still not all that fair unless he’s making spell casters’ players gesticulate and mouth Latinus HarryPotterus, rogues’ players palm his dice while he’s not looking, BSF players bring their LARPing foambats, but what can you do?)

....that silliness aside, if you are going to play a theurge/multiclass type character, it’s well worth keeping in mind your campaign’s starting level and its likely pace of leveling. Many multiclass builds have an awkward phase where you just aren’t multiclass yet, or worse you’re a Blah 3 / Bleh 3 and haven’t gotten any of your multiclass PrC abilities yet. If you are going to spend a significant amount of campaign time in the Awkward Zone, you might prefer a more linear sort of build.

Nifft
2017-10-05, 10:21 PM
My suggestion is to keep it simple, because the DM doesn't seem comfortable with complexity (even when simple is more powerful than complex).

So:
- Druid 20
- Psion 20

Both are incredibly powerful. Both can be played in a large variety of different ways, so even if you've already played both, you can probably come up with something different.

For example: a Druid with the Gatekeeper Initiate feat + Draconic Wildshape feat will play entirely differently from a Druid with Aberration Blood (Lords of Madness) + Aberration Wild Shape feat + Enhance Wild Shape spell.

For the latter one, you could be the Steve Irwin of Aberrations. ("Crikey! That beholder is a beaut. I'm gonna take this stick an poke its bum.")

Nautilust
2017-10-05, 11:55 PM
Tell me more about this abberration stuff with the Druid? As for Psion I think I'm going to build one of both and see which one I like the most. Maybe I can build a Tanky Telepath I still wouldn't mind dominating people, but we also need a tank because we have 5+ casters and 2 melee a Cleric and a Rogue. I don't even feel like mentioning the Gunslinger (Wrong System!(But I can't play a psionic version of a prestige class(I'm still a little mad about soul manifester he was going to be awesome)))

Nautilust
2017-10-06, 12:01 AM
Maybe we could do some kind of trickery with being naturally psionic and a druid?
Or some kind of racial trickery with the Psion (Unbodied Maybe)

Nautilust
2017-10-06, 02:18 AM
Look's like for the Aberration Wildshaping thing to really take off i will need to be at least 9th level
I think Druid might be a test of patience that I don't really have.

noob
2017-10-06, 06:53 AM
did you test wizard/Spellsinger/sublime chord/ultimate magus
you can get level 19 wizard casting and high level spontaneous spells and be able to use perform theater or another thing for the bardic music instead of singing(since you have no levels in bard and thus do not have the restriction to be forced to sing)(since it is well known that spellsingers never sing while bards sing)

Nautilust
2017-10-06, 07:21 AM
Gm literally said Bards have to sing. He didn't say unless they have perform (oratory) or something. So Bard and sublime chord is out.

noob
2017-10-06, 07:25 AM
Here it was a sublime chord without any bard level.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-06, 07:41 AM
Gm literally said Bardshave to sing. He didn't say unless they have perform (oratory) or something. So Bard and sublime chord is out.Tell him to go sit on some dry ice. It's your character, and so long as you're playing within the rules and within reason, you should be able to play how you like.

Nautilust
2017-10-06, 08:25 AM
I'm just drawing myself as far away from the class as possible. Sublime chord has heavy ties to the bard class. For all I know he'd say that I have to play a bard in order to take sublime chord.

noob
2017-10-06, 09:01 AM
Did you try making a cleric/prestige paladin 1/contemplative 1/ruathar 1/paragnostic apostle n/moar cleric.

Nifft
2017-10-06, 09:08 AM
I'm just drawing myself as far away from the class as possible. Sublime chord has heavy ties to the bard class. For all I know he'd say that I have to play a bard in order to take sublime chord.

Really sounds like you & this DM have a mutual lack of trust.

That seems to be the core problem.

My advice was to pick something simple to gain trust, but trust has to go both ways.

You should talk to this DM, preferably in person, before the game. Tell him you've played every class in the books and that is why you're looking for something different. Tell him that you're not trying to break his game.

Nautilust
2017-10-06, 09:16 AM
I think I'm going to have to sit down and talk to him before the game. I'm just going to play a Shaper he said I could use psionics

Nifft
2017-10-06, 09:19 AM
I think I'm going to have to sit down and talk to him before the game. I'm just going to play a Shaper he said I could use psionics

Psion 20 is great, you're going to have a fun character.

Do sit down and talk. You all need to trust each other for a game to work.