PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lost Mines of Phandelver

tharps962
2017-10-05, 06:48 AM
I am running lost mines of phandelver and I was thinking of getting a new player into the party. My idea is to have Droop (the cowardly goblin) be blessed for whatever reason and whatever place by a certain god and become a cleric. I was wondering which god do you think would be best to bless Droop and for what reason.

Innocent_bystan
2017-10-05, 09:59 AM
Does the player want to play a goblin?

Armored Walrus
2017-10-05, 10:19 AM
There is a whole town there for the new character to be from, just in case the goblin thing doesn't work out.

As far as which god, that would be up to the player that chooses to play the goblin. Does that player want to be a cleric? Or a goblin? You can suggest as a cool plot point that the new player joining could take over Droop, but the character creation is entirely up to that character, not up to you.

tharps962
2017-10-05, 01:47 PM
Does the player want to play a goblin?

Im not entirely sure! I will ask him but as droop is a running gag between our group ill guess yes.

tharps962
2017-10-05, 01:49 PM
There is a whole town there for the new character to be from, just in case the goblin thing doesn't work out.

As far as which god, that would be up to the player that chooses to play the goblin. Does that player want to be a cleric? Or a goblin? You can suggest as a cool plot point that the new player joining could take over Droop, but the character creation is entirely up to that character, not up to you.

Im trying to make a hook where Droop becomes a cleric because a god has bestowed the power onto him in pity or some form of genoristy. So then Droop will be actually useful.

Innocent_bystan
2017-10-05, 03:02 PM
Im not entirely sure! I will ask him but as droop is a running gag between our group ill guess yes.

I ask because you mentioned that the player is new. And as his first character you will give him a running gag NPC. With a nonstandard race. With the class already chosen. With some behavioral expectations built in. ... Droop is an NPC and should probably stay that way.

This seems like a fun change of pace for a veteran player, at best, not a fun first character for a newbie.

Cap'm Bubbles
2017-10-05, 03:32 PM
Assuming that you want Droop to not serve an evil deity, there are two choices that are still goblinoid and would maintain flavor.

Meriadar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblinoid_deities#Meriadar)
Alignment Lawful Neutral
Portfolio Patience, meditation, tolerance, arts and crafts
Domains Law, Protection, Trickery

or

Kikanuti (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblinoid_deities#Kikanuti)
Alignment Neutral Good
Portfolio Protection, fertility
Domains Earth, Good, Magic, Protection, Plant, Summer

However, if you're dealing with brand new people and haven't done anything with religions in d&d nor had a paladin/cleric or related character appear thus far, you are free to use any pantheon that's also included in the player's hand book index.

As others have said, a new player should probably make their own character, not take over a pre-defined NPC.

tharps962
2017-10-05, 08:06 PM
Assuming that you want Droop to not serve an evil deity, there are two choices that are still goblinoid and would maintain flavor.
However, if you're dealing with brand new people and haven't done anything with religions in d&d nor had a paladin/cleric or related character appear thus far, you are free to use any pantheon that's also included in the player's hand book index.

As others have said, a new player should probably make their own character, not take over a pre-defined NPC.
It seems like he's fine with it, but if he doesnt like it down the road i might make him a DMPC because I would like the idea of blessing droop to become a part of the group esp. because I am thinking of writing a hook where Droop was actually an internal spy for the main drow villian ,i forget his name.

Callin
2017-10-05, 08:56 PM
If your going to do that then just keep him as an NPC (not even a DMPC). That way the new guy doesnt have to keep the secret or get mad when the group kills him. How far into the game are you? A good hook is to have him be a friend of the guy you rescue (maybe) in the first Goblin Cave. Thats a great hook. Or even let it be Him and just let the Person pick Class and such. The town itself has many hooks that you can toss a PC into with.

I have run Lost Mines 3 times now and thats my suggestion