PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Build Help; Optimizing a Chameleon

Nautilust
2017-10-05, 09:36 AM
I want the most versatile character I can possibly make. The kind of chaotic character that can wake up every day and be something a little different. I've been directed to the Binder and Chameleon classes as a starting point. And either a Changeling or a Silverbrow Human for Race. How can I optimize this build so it does what I want?

Starting at 4th level.

Array for Ability Scores is 16/15/14/12/10/10. Where should I arrange my ability scores?

Feats?

What kind of equipment should I buy? I'm assuming an array of different mundane weapons and armor to dress the part for the identity of the day.

Any advice?

Fouredged Sword
2017-10-05, 11:08 AM
It is good to have a spellcaster level outside of chameleon to allow crafting feats. Binder 1 / trickster spellthief 1 / incarnate 2/cliostered cleric 1 is a solid entry.

Nautilust
2017-10-05, 01:02 PM
This build was declined by the Gm

Menzath
2017-10-05, 01:43 PM
This build was declined by the Gm

Any paticular reason the build was denied, so we have a better idea what to build away from/around?

Nautilust
2017-10-05, 02:02 PM
It was "too powerful" even though it's significantly less as powerful as a sorceror or wizard. Or even a Druid which is a class he suggested to me.

I'd say we want to stick closer to the Player's Handbook. However He has allowed me to make a Shugenja/Void Disciple which was going to be my next post cause I can't find a good handbook on the Shugenja.

Menzath
2017-10-05, 02:31 PM
Well maybe something silly, that still can be pretty strong.
Like bard 4/sacred exorcist 3/warblade 3/chameleon 10.

With the right feats you can get two different metamagic reducers, with the bard ACF jack of all trades that's access to every skill, bump that with spells, caster levels so you qualify for crafting.
Pick up snowflake wardance and lay the smack on with white Raven maneuvers, and tumble away.
Maybe a little singing too of you want, can always swap out 2 of the sacred exorcist levels for something else, and you really only need one or two levels of warblade, maybe delay some levels of that till after chameleon for better maneuvers.

dextercorvia
2017-10-05, 09:15 PM
Changeling (Bard or Cloistered Cleric) 1/Incarnate2/Totemist2/Chameleon10 is a pretty good start. Incarnate and Totemist scale better without more levels than Binder does. You can use your floating feat later on to bind soulmelds to the higher level chakras.

Glamered Armor and shields (DMG)
Shiftweave clothing (MIC) for outfits
MIC has a range of transformable weapons, like the Bladebows

Fizban
2017-10-06, 08:30 AM
The trick to optimizing a Chameleon is that you can't optimize Chameleon: the PrC completely stands on it's own. You can only optimize the 5 levels you take before Chameleon. Furthermore, "optimizing" usually means making yourself very good at one thing, which is the exact opposite of Chameleon as well as the other face-changing classes. Trying to split your feats/skills/cash/etc between multiple things means that you'll be worse at every one of those things.

What I find, is that Chameleon wants a simple, solid 5 level build. The fancier you try to get, the worse of a base you have to build on when it's time to declare aptitude focus. What does Chameleon give you? An option of attack/damage bonus, divine casting, or arcane casting from a spellbook (which you have to scrounge/buy at the DM's mercy), and some but not many skill points. Spells don't require feats or even much ability score to use, but combat feat chains and broad skill use require a lot of investment. If you actually want to be able to do combat, skills, and magic all in one Chameleon, a combination of full BAB and high skill classes is what you actually want.

Factotum, Binder, Incarnate, all are basically traps. The main stuff a Factotum gets that doesn't require more Factotum levels is all int-focused, which a Chameleon is not. Binder has a specific set of abilities which may or may not be useful: you trade the chance of a solid base for a different set of specific utilities. Incarnate gives you a different set of specific utilities and skill boosters. But Chameleon already has divine spells on demand, and requires so many skills you ought to be entering with a solid skill base, so why do you need these specific, limited tool belts? The answer always comes down to flair, because it sounded good at the time. If you know what specifically you're taking Binder or Incarnate for, an ability that can't be gained anywhere else (like Malphas's ravens), then take it for that ability-because they won't actually let you shift gears.

Fighter 2 with Power Attack and Combat Expertise opens up almost every feat line. Barb 2 just uses rage instead, or Monk 2 will let you pretend to be a Monk by actually being a Monk. Ranger 2 has skill points and more bonus feats. Pick one or two and combine with Rogue 3 or Rogue 1.

Nautilust
2017-10-06, 08:39 AM
The whole idea was to literally be able to play just about anything between any day. I'm not sure if your suggestion works or not and honestly i'm not going to see because my GM declined the idea. Because somehow being moderately to hardly good at several things and having the freedom to decide what i want to play from day to day is too powerful aparrantly. How dare i like a build and try to go with it. I'm about to quit this game and never look back. I have had one of the worst experiences with a GM i think I will EVER have and it's been before the actual game has even started.

Fizban
2017-10-06, 09:04 AM
The most flexible thing the Chameleon has is the flexible feat, which can let you pick up an entirely new fighting style, magic "style," or supernatural ability (Binding, Incarnum, even SLAs), and slanting that with the right spell choices can certainly let you change your tune daily. But yeah, it's a moot point if the DM won't allow it.