PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Legal way to add a spell to a fixed list caster's list

lylsyly
2017-10-05, 10:10 AM
Exactly what it says, I am looking for a legal way to add Haste to a Duskblades spell list so I can go Swiftblade.

The dm would rpobably let me have it but I thought I'd save myself some DM capital.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-05, 10:16 AM
Arcane Disciple (Time) oughta do it. Arguably Extra Spell. Knowstones (Dragon 333) and Runestaffs can do it, but you probably need UMD.

Cosi
2017-10-05, 10:34 AM
Extra Spell works by Text-in-Book, but errata changed it to not work by RAW.

Knowstones and Runestaves work, though you either need UMD or to be able to learn it naturally.

Some PrCs may add the spell to your list.

A Ring of Theurgy will work if you have a way to reload it. Possibly there's some way to bootstrap it with some other thing.

Arcane Disciple will work, though uses are limited.

Ultimate Magus would allow you to transfer a Wizard spell to a Duskblade spell, but it's not likely to work well for your use case (you'd get haste around 10th level).

Getting a Prestige Domain that includes haste would allow you to learn it.

lylsyly
2017-10-05, 10:48 AM
Can't use Extra Spell until I can cast 4th level spells (duskblade 13) would lose to many swiftblade levels that way.

Arcane Disciple however looks good. Time domain gives Haste as 3rd lvl spell (Celerity Domain has Haste at 4th lvl).

Thanks Grod, one of these days I have got to go back over some of these sourcebooks in more detail.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-10-05, 11:03 AM
Remember that the Swiftblade prerequisite is that you must use your third-level slots on haste exclusively, and you can only use Arcane Disciple to cast haste once a day. That means you will have to leave your other third-level slots uncast, or possibly used on Arcane Strike or something.

lylsyly
2017-10-05, 11:22 AM
Getting a Prestige Domain that includes haste would allow you to learn it.

Like Trapsmith which gives HAste at lvl 1, but I am notwilling togive up Duskblade Levels and waste the skillpoints on cross class skills, thanks tho.

Remember that the Swiftblade prerequisite is that you must use your third-level slots on haste exclusively, and you can only use Arcane Disciple to cast haste once a day. That means you will have to leave your other third-level slots uncast, or possibly used on Arcane Strike or something.

But only for the one level, I can live with it that long

Thanks for the responses.

noce
2017-10-05, 11:33 AM
Is it a good choice to go Swiftblade from a starting Duskblade base?

You need two worthless feats, a third one for Arcane Disciple, go down a step in HD and lose 3 caster levels.

You already have full BAB as a Duskblade, and Arcane Channeling, your signature ability, cannot be used in a full attack, so you don't benefit from the Haste extra attack in those rounds.

You don't get meaningful bonuses up until 9th level in the class, when you can cast and full attack (or Arcane Channel and full attack), but you lose a couple uses of Quick Cast to get there.

At least, since you cannot use the lvl 10 class feature, this prc is only 9 levels long for you.

lylsyly
2017-10-05, 11:52 AM
Actually, the full build is gestalt. Duskblade 10/ Swiftblade 10 // Dragonfire Adept 20

Get all 1st party books and LA+4 for free so red dragonspawn from DLCS and have some fun seeing just what I can do with it. We will be going from 1 to 20 and I am looking forward to doing something completely off the wall for a change.

Cosi
2017-10-05, 11:58 AM
Interesting. It seems like you might do better with something like Sorcerer 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5 // Duskblade 3/Dragonfire Adept 17. That gets you easier (and earlier) access to Swiftblade, the same Arcane Channeling, better spellcasting, and some marginal value from Abjurant Champion (should the game go that long). You do lose some Dragonfire Adept abilities, but those are probably offset by the gains elsewhere.

lylsyly
2017-10-05, 12:14 PM
DFA side is going to be the fun side of the build with the tricks I can use with the Dragonspawn 2d4 round Breath Weapon, I might even stick to Duskblade 20 once play starts but I do want tokeep the option of swiftblade open for now.