PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Can others tell when you are smiting another creature as a paladin

ShadeBlade0
2017-10-05, 09:22 PM
The PHB1 does not comment on whether or not something like a smite would be visible to other players. It only lists the mechanics of smiting (like adding Cha Mod, etc.) and that if you attempt to smite a non-evil, it uses an attempt and doesn't work. Is there a flash of light, some divine-y feeling, or does it appear to be just a normal attack? What do you guys do for your campaigns?

Venger
2017-10-05, 09:24 PM
no, there's no visible manifestation.

Telonius
2017-10-05, 10:31 PM
It's possible it might light up if somebody happened to have Arcane Sight active, depending on how you rule Supernatural abilities to interact with Detect Magic. But otherwise, no, no visible manifestation.

DrMotives
2017-10-05, 10:37 PM
No visible manifestation is given, but I'd think someone with the appropriate detect alignment (detect good for smite evil, etc) would see the effect ping pretty hard on their radar.

Venger
2017-10-05, 11:34 PM
It's possible it might light up if somebody happened to have Arcane Sight active, depending on how you rule Supernatural abilities to interact with Detect Magic. But otherwise, no, no visible manifestation.
detect magic doesn't pick up supernatural abilities

No visible manifestation is given, but I'd think someone with the appropriate detect alignment (detect good for smite evil, etc) would see the effect ping pretty hard on their radar.

detect x doesn't detect someone smiting, but if you're a paladin, you'll have an aura like a cleric.

ShadeBlade0
2017-10-06, 12:02 AM
Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?

Telonius
2017-10-06, 09:06 AM
I can see an argument both for and against it. On the one hand, Arcane Sight keys off Detect Magic. Supernatural abilities are explicitly magical (described as magical in the Special Abilities section); the wording of Detect Magic says you detect magical auras; and it gives a line about "nonspell effects" in the description of what you learn in the 3rd round. On the other hand Su abilities aren't specifically called out in the wording, while creatures and spells are; and Arcane Sight specifically calls out Spells and SLAs but doesn't mention Su abilities. It's ambiguous enough that I could see someone ruling either way.

Venger
2017-10-06, 11:51 AM
I can see an argument both for and against it. On the one hand, Arcane Sight keys off Detect Magic. Supernatural abilities are explicitly magical (described as magical in the Special Abilities section); the wording of Detect Magic says you detect magical auras; and it gives a line about "nonspell effects" in the description of what you learn in the 3rd round. On the other hand Su abilities aren't specifically called out in the wording, while creatures and spells are; and Arcane Sight specifically calls out Spells and SLAs but doesn't mention Su abilities. It's ambiguous enough that I could see someone ruling either way.

Since nonspell effects in detect magic can only be detected with a spellcraft check keyed off the effect's caster level (which smite evil does not have) I don't really see how you could detect it with either spell.

Telonius
2017-10-06, 11:58 AM
Since nonspell effects in detect magic can only be detected with a spellcraft check keyed off the effect's caster level (which smite evil does not have) I don't really see how you could detect it with either spell.

It's not otherwise noted, so it has a caster level equal to the creature's hit dice (creature being the Paladin in this case).

Nifft
2017-10-06, 12:09 PM
Detection would be a basic Listen check with DC -10, +1 per 10 ft. of distance, with other potential modifiers (e.g. distraction, closed doors, etc.) to hear me shouting "SMITE EVIL!" at the top of my lungs.