PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Invocations as Reward Boons?

Temperjoke
2017-10-06, 12:31 AM
So I had a thought, many of the warlock invocations can be handy for players and aren't dependent on warlock features. So, I was thinking, couldn't an Archfey/Fiend/Great Old One/Etc. imbue a player with one of them as a reward (like instead of a monetary reward for completing a task)? Do you think that would really wreck things?

djreynolds
2017-10-06, 01:17 AM
For their soul(s)?

Toadkiller
2017-10-06, 01:36 AM
A feat would likely be easier to balance. And not screw over the player who wants to play a warlock.

Temperjoke
2017-10-06, 01:58 AM
For their soul(s)?

No, more like a reward that might be more useful than gold or potentially plot related, or good for a character's development. Like, rewarding the party wizard, who's character was a bookworm with "Eyes of the Rune Keeper". It's not necessarily going to break things, but it'll be useful to the character.

I wouldn't do something like this in a campaign that already had a warlock though, to avoid stepping on toes.

Dappershire
2017-10-06, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't do something like this in a campaign that already had a warlock though, to avoid stepping on toes.

No, you should do it when there -is- a warlock present. Maybe he's brokering the deals. He gets pact points for every invocation he drops on a companion.

Potato_Priest
2017-10-06, 02:23 AM
It sounds good to me!

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-06, 02:42 AM
You get to pick what they get, so I say give them out at your discretion.

The 'Eyes of the Rune Keeper' would indeed be fitting for a booksy Wizard, and it's a nice alternative to giving them the Linguist feat.

If you have a caster that uses Disguise Self a lot, you could tell them that they learned the spelll so well, it's become second nature to them. And you give them the 'Mask of Many Faces' Invocation.

Things like that can be nice and flavorful, makes a character unique without breaking anything..
And as said, you could have the party Warlock be the conduit for gaining them on the non-Warlock PCs.
Possibly have the Invocations fade if the Warlock perma-dies, or leaves the party.

MrStabby
2017-10-06, 06:13 AM
I gave a player one of these for freeing a fiend from a magic circle. It was a decent alternative to loot and lets me have a devil as a recurring NPC.

Joe the Rat
2017-10-06, 08:26 AM
A lot of the 'lock-feature-free invocations do fall in line with the boons and charms. If there is a concern on balance / 'lock jealousy, you can make them of limited use or duration. You are given a devil's silver tongue (which seems strange, given their whole Iron / Aversion to Silver thing, but whatever), and can use it but seven times (Persuasion/Deception proficiency for 7 encounters) before the blessing passes back to the poor metallo-confused fiend it was taken from.

Frankly, there are a few of those that would make good boons if you waive the warlock part of the level requirements. Otherworldly Leap would be awesome for a lot of martials.

Sigreid
2017-10-06, 09:03 AM
As long as you're fair about it, why not?

Vogie
2017-10-06, 09:29 AM
Frankly, there are a few of those that would make good boons if you waive the warlock part of the level requirements. Otherworldly Leap would be awesome for a lot of martials.

That was the same one that jumped to mind first as well. I think this is a really cool idea.