PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5e Adventures with less combat

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-06, 12:45 PM
Hello guys :)

Next week I I will DM for my group for the second time.
I started with the Barrow of the Forgotten King adventure and we got to the Broken Chamber and it was only combat and one puzzle.
I read the rest of the adventure and it is not getting better, I think I will cut the adventure there(this is a good spot to do it).

I am looking for an adventure for a party of 3 that will have roleplaying and not only combat.

Edit:
The PCs:
Dragonfire Adapt Draconic Tabbit(Entangling Breath) - LV2 - A veteran.
Draconic Elan Erudit(the Psion stuff, using BFC and OOCombat healing) - LV2 - A veteran.
Half-Minutor Human Fighter(the only new guy) - LV2 - A noob.

Venger
2017-10-06, 01:25 PM
check out eyes of the lich queen. it's designed for pcs lvls 1-6 and has lots of roleplay. it's pretty fun and is in the eberron setting.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-07, 05:15 AM
check out eyes of the lich queen. it's designed for pcs lvls 1-6 and has lots of roleplay. it's pretty fun and is in the eberron setting.

Do the PCs will get to level 5 at the end of part one(This is what I understand from reading the first part)?

This do look nicer then the Barrow of the Forgotten King, I think I will try to use it.

Do you by any chance have more ideas?
there is a good chance that my veterans players will know this adventure (they are playing from the start).

noob
2017-10-07, 05:21 AM
At worse make some investigation where they ask questions to people and walk around until they solve the mystery(there can be 0 fights in adventures like that).

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-07, 05:41 AM
At worse make some investigation where they ask questions to people and walk around until they solve the mystery(there can be 0 fights in adventures like that).

I don't know, this doesn't sound fun to me and the Fighter will have little stuff to do.

I may add it as a short side quest but it does not solve the problem for me.

noob
2017-10-07, 05:45 AM
I don't know, this doesn't sound fun to me and the Fighter will have little stuff to do.

I may add it as a short side quest but it does not solve the problem for me.

So you say that a fighter is not equally as good at asking questions as the other characters?
You do not need charisma to ask questions or think about the investigation with the other players.
And here the erudite is too low level to have spells that makes investigation easier.(unless he is an unethical person who have no problems with mind controlling people)
Also if their investigation finds a plot against X they might need to prove it(or else X will probably not believe them or Y might not help X) and if they used mind controlling(like attraction) they might risk to lose credibility.(so basically with that no character have any power that helps them over others)
Basically you can make investigation take up a whole plot: just make the npcs(with things like motivations and personalities) and think to what are the events that happened and then you have something the players can investigate.(possibly have the npcs do stuff as the situation evolve:for example three days after the king counselor is murdered there is an assassination attempt against an Hermite that lived in a mountain)

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-07, 06:04 AM
So you say that a fighter is not equally as good at asking questions as the other characters?
You do not need charisma to ask questions or think about the investigation with the other players.
And here the erudite is too low level to have spells that makes investigation easier.(unless he is an unethical person who have no problems with mind controlling people)

As the player choose, the Fighter is not good with talking to people(He is good at intimidating them(roleplaying and skill investment), he is working as something that you should fear from if you try to break the law or act against the lord).

Edit:
You added​ stuff the made it clearer for me that it might work, This can be a great way to make them gain the WBL they need to have and to contact them to the Eye of the Lich Queen.