PDA

View Full Version : Low LA race with natural claws?

EndocrineBandit
2017-10-06, 01:53 PM
Preferably little to no racial hit die. The dm isn't okay with the feral template. I'm trying to avoid hits to wisdom, but if it's unavoidable or worth it, it'll be considered.

Bakkan
2017-10-06, 01:58 PM
For claws specifically, a kobold with the Races of the Dragon web enhancement has them.

For a similar style, the Skarn from Magic of Incarnum has spines that behave similarly to claws.

Forrestfire
2017-10-06, 01:58 PM
Earth (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) (or jungle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#jungleKobolds)) kobolds (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) should probably do the trick. Kenku, from the MM3, might work as well.

Venger
2017-10-06, 01:59 PM
Preferably little to no racial hit die. The dm isn't okay with the feral template. I'm trying to avoid hits to wisdom, but if it's unavoidable or worth it, it'll be considered.

if you need claws specifically, kobold (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) if you just need a natural attack, warforged is good.

what are you playing as?

you can get a bite with the hunger domain or claws via willing deformity + deformity (clawed hands) as long as you are evil

tyckspoon
2017-10-06, 02:04 PM
The Draconic template adds claws and some minor other stuff (small stat buffs, minor natural armor) for +1 LA. It's.. pretty weak for an LA, but on the plus side it can be stapled onto pretty much anything you want so you can play whatever race you're interested in and add the claws to it that way.

ShurikVch
2017-10-06, 02:30 PM
Kenku and Nezumi are both have claws, no Wis penalty, and LA +0 (Also, same for T'kel from Dragon #317)

Nifft
2017-10-06, 02:35 PM
Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, perhaps.

(But the best option is always Kobold.)

Telonius
2017-10-06, 03:07 PM
The Draconic template adds claws and some minor other stuff (small stat buffs, minor natural armor) for +1 LA. It's.. pretty weak for an LA, but on the plus side it can be stapled onto pretty much anything you want so you can play whatever race you're interested in and add the claws to it that way.

If buyoff is available, it's not bad on a Bard. Easy access to Dragonfire Inspiration, without needing the Dragontouched feat. Plus, if you're putting it on a human, you don't lose the extra skill point the way Silverbrow Humans do.

gorfnab
2017-10-06, 05:13 PM
Beguiler from Shining South have claws and bite at +0 LA, unfortunately it's listed as cohort even though they actually make decent pcs.

Axel_690
2017-10-06, 05:43 PM
Shifter from Eberron.
2 levels of Totemist for Sphinx Claws bound to Totem Chakra gives you 2 1d8 claw attacks.

Venger
2017-10-06, 07:18 PM
Shifter from Eberron.
2 levels of Totemist for Sphinx Claws bound to Totem Chakra gives you 2 1d8 claw attacks.

Or just play as a dragonblood race such as silverbrow human and get them as a shaped effect from the claws of the wyrm

The Viscount
2017-10-06, 07:23 PM
Daelkyr Half-Blood will give you a single claw attack if you choose the claw gauntlet.

Wildren have claw attacks and are +1 LA.

EndocrineBandit
2017-10-06, 07:30 PM
I do like wildren. Those sre the badger people from the planar handbook, yeah? From the breeding of dwarven spirits with badger spirits, iirc? Hmm. I discovered the beast claws feat and I'm thinking of utilizing it in a build, but I'm not sure i want to try ti stack on eldritch claw shenanigans along with it or not.

Elkad
2017-10-06, 07:31 PM
Another vote for Poison Dusk Lizardfolk.

+1LA, but with so many nice things.

SangoProduction
2017-10-06, 07:42 PM
Did no one mention the cat people?

Venger
2017-10-06, 09:03 PM
I do like wildren. Those sre the badger people from the planar handbook, yeah? From the breeding of dwarven spirits with badger spirits, iirc? Hmm. I discovered the beast claws feat and I'm thinking of utilizing it in a build, but I'm not sure i want to try ti stack on eldritch claw shenanigans along with it or not.
They also have burrow, but are la 1.

Did no one mention the cat people?

catfolk are also la 1, and you need to buy catfolk pounce.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-06, 09:09 PM
One level of the Half-Fiend template class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) can do it, and you're not forced to finish the template class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a). That gets you 2 claws, +2 Dex, +1 natural armor, Darkvision 60, the Outsider type (with proficiency in all martial weapons), and a few spell-like abilities (Darkness, Poison, Unhallow). You can pre-cast Poison and deliver it with the first claw attack that hits, or even take Quicken Spell-Like Ability for it. Darkness is fantastic for a stealthy character, and Unhallow as a spell-like ability gets around the 24-hour casting time and costly material components.

Blue Jay
2017-10-07, 12:23 AM
...and you're not forced to finish the template class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a)...

Technically, it doesn't say you don't have to take all the levels: it just says you don't have to take them consecutively. They probably still intended for completion to be a requirement, though I suspect they didn't really think through the logistics of that.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-07, 01:05 AM
Technically, it doesn't say you don't have to take all the levels: it just says you don't have to take them consecutively. They probably still intended for completion to be a requirement, though I suspect they didn't really think through the logistics of that.

Exactly, you can wait until you're level 99 before taking the second level of a template class if you want.

Goaty14
2017-10-07, 11:55 AM
Anthropomorphic... X

Inevitability
2017-10-07, 12:19 PM
Tibbits can turn into cats for as long as they want, and get two claw attacks in that form. They're +0 LA.

ShurikVch
2017-10-07, 12:24 PM
Cauldron Spawn (Dragon #340), Ghoulish Creature, and Ghastly Creature templates are all get claws, and (technically) LA +0
Cauldron Spawn have no Wis penalty, and Ghoulish/Ghastly Creatures get +4 Wis bonus

EndocrineBandit
2017-10-07, 12:35 PM
I have plans for a dragonfire adept tibbit.. because a winged kitty cat belching gouts of flames has hilarity to me. I might be able to talk the dm into allowing the ghoulish/ghastly template.. hmm. I have plans for a catfolk scout/rogue as it is. My last character was a poison dusk lizardfolk, current one is a grippli. Hmmm. Could do maybe a catfolk ranger/monk, maybe. Use ranger spells to gain sneak attack and rhinos rush, pounce on things for a bunch of extra damage. Hmm.

Kobold Esq
2017-10-07, 07:41 PM
I have plans for a dragonfire adept tibbit.. because a winged kitty cat belching gouts of flames has hilarity to me.

Far more mundane, but I had a character with a pseudodragon dragonfire adept as a cohort. Not particularly powerful, but flavorful.

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-10-08, 01:03 AM
What about tibbit, they have a bite and two claws?