PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Quick questions regarding 'The Elemental Master' Dragon Class

kuhaica
2017-10-06, 05:51 PM
Basically, if someone could clear up the wording for these two quotes that would be wonderful. I've bolded the sections of each to emphasize what portion I do not understand

Energy Burst (Su): A 4th-level elemental master can
create a burst of damaging energy around its body. The burst consists of energy corresponding to the dragon’s attuned energy type and has a radius of 5 feet per class levelof the dragon. Anything in the area takes 1d8 points of damage per class level of the dragon. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + dragon’s class level + its Con modifier) reduces the damage by half. Creating an energy burst counts as a use of the dragon’s breath weapon. It cannot breathe or create another burst for 1d4 rounds after creating a burst.

What I get from this section is that for every Class Level the dragon has the, the damage is increased by 1d8.

Energy Storm (Su): A 7th-level elemental master can surround itself with a vortex of swirling energy corresponding to the dragon’s attuned energy type. The vortex extends from the dragon in an emanation with a radius of 5 feet per class level. The effect stops attacks with thrown weapons and projectiles. Such attacks fail if made by creatures inside the area, or if targeted at creatures within the area, or if their paths take them through the area. The storm deals 2 points of damage per class level to every unprotected creature within its area each round. The storm lasts for 1 round per class level (though the dragon can dismiss it as a move action), and counts as two uses of the dragon’s breath weapon. The dragon cannot use its breath weapon (or its energy burst ability) while the storm is in place and for 2d4 rounds after it subsides.

Meanwhile in this section I feel the text means per level of 'The Elemental Master' instead of overall class levels.

What I'm unsure of is which one of these statements are correct or if I'm just over thinking things. Any help would be appreciated as I have a few rule stickler PC's that may raise questions if something doesn't add up correctly. And I wish to as accurate as possible.

Thanks.

tyckspoon
2017-10-06, 06:38 PM
Common convention is that 'class level' in a writeup is short for 'Levels of this class'. If it means total level, it will instead refer to 'character level' or sometimes 'Hit Dice' when talking about monster abilities (Note that for a True Dragon, character level/total hit dice count is a really large number, so sanity checking the results would suggest that 'Levels of Elemental Master' is the correct reading.)

kuhaica
2017-10-06, 08:29 PM
Common convention is that 'class level' in a writeup is short for 'Levels of this class'. If it means total level, it will instead refer to 'character level' or sometimes 'Hit Dice' when talking about monster abilities (Note that for a True Dragon, character level/total hit dice count is a really large number, so sanity checking the results would suggest that 'Levels of Elemental Master' is the correct reading.)

Awsome thank you, I figured as much but wanted to be sure