PDA

View Full Version : How Should/Would a Construct Afterlife Be Organized?

unseenmage
2017-10-06, 11:33 PM
Assuming Constructs still wouldn't have souls and that Mechanus isn't an answer.

How would the Playground arrange a Construct afterlife?

For example, perhaps a specialized demiplane created to record and store Construct personalities and programming where those arcane energies are personified in a caste system somehow.

Maybe the bound elementals are even given some sort of heavenly compensation for their prior service.

Fizban
2017-10-07, 02:56 AM
Question feels like an oxymoron: what is the afterlife when nothing lives on? Stipulating that something does live on means you're just given them a soul by another name. A read-only memory archive is about as much as you can get without going back on the no-souls requirement. Not an afterlife, but a library monument.

noob
2017-10-07, 03:12 AM
According to some manuals about evil(demons or devils) constructs have souls(it also gives the value in gold of the soul of a construct) so your assumption do not fit the rules as written since they explicitly say that constructs have souls(animals have souls too according to the rules).

unseenmage
2017-10-07, 03:19 AM
According to some manuals about evil(demons or devils) constructs have souls(it also gives the value in gold of the soul of a construct) so your assumption do not fit the rules as written since they explicitly say that constructs have souls(animals have souls too according to the rules).

Citation please? This is news to me.

If true it makes resetting traps of True Creation for sand and Awaken Sand into soul generating machines. That is of interest to me.

Edit: Some Qs I asked in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22454552&postcount=285)copypasta-ed here:

How mighty would the magics be needed to create an afterlife for Constructs? Be it a repository for memories/programming or a full on application of somethinglike the Ghost or Petitioner templates.

Would the basic Genesis spell be up to the task? Wish spell? Epic magic? Or would deific might or the equivalent be required? If so what category of deity?

Would it just be easier to set up such a phenomena on Mechanus?

Could it conciedvably give a specialized resting place to the bound elemental spirits and other trapped/enslaved animating forces of slain Constructs?

Say a Construct dies while changed into a living, normally souled, creature. Do the afterlifes even register them?

What of memory/identity changing magics? Programmed Amnesia on a Greater Humanoid Essence-ed Awakened Construct to convince it it IS an elf? Is it just doomed to go to an elven afterlife?

noob
2017-10-07, 03:46 AM
Well I thought some pathfinder content was in 3.5(pathfinder have a chart for the values of souls and says that trap the soul and soul bind allows to get the souls of creatures)
However 3.5 Trap the Soul works fine on any creature including constructs.

Fizban
2017-10-07, 07:58 AM
How mighty would the magics be needed to create an afterlife for Constructs? Be it a repository for memories/programming or a full on application of somethinglike the Ghost or Petitioner templates.

Would the basic Genesis spell be up to the task? Wish spell? Epic magic? Or would deific might or the equivalent be required? If so what category of deity?
Deities tend to have parts of the campaign setting rewritten about them, being a deity of a thing usually means the thing is now a thing. Trying to do it with printed salient divine abilities is probably not technically possible, since they mainly just end with "wish, but free" and "kill/revive someone with one priority level higher than wish." Cosmological functions depend on the setting and pass along with the rest of a godly portfolio, but creating a new portfolio I think usually requires the DM to fiat it in- though in FR, Ao would presumably have the power, as would any deity specifically having the power to invent new deities. An epic spell can of course theoretically do anything, but it'd be made of nothing but fiat DCs for things like "read entire memory instead of surface thoughts," "record memory into physical form," and "target every creature of this type in the multiverse."

Would it just be easier to set up such a phenomena on Mechanus?
I expect Afro would say no, since I don't think Mechanics is actually of mechanical or construct affinity, just that law likes to express itself in that form sometimes.

Could it conciedvably give a specialized resting place to the bound elemental spirits and other trapped/enslaved animating forces of slain Constructs?
I was always under the impression that smashing an elemental powered construct freed the elemental unless otherwise noted, since the elemental is only ever vaguely called, more summoned really, as an animating spirit.

Say a Construct dies while changed into a living, normally souled, creature. Do the afterlifes even register them?
What of memory/identity changing magics? Programmed Amnesia on a Greater Humanoid Essence-ed Awakened Construct to convince it it IS an elf? Is it just doomed to go to an elven afterlife?
Souls don't care. If it's souled before destroyed, it's souled, and planes certainly don't care if you think you have a soul.

RoboEmperor
2017-10-07, 08:04 AM
Constructs are enslaved Earth Elementals. The creation process turns these sentient entities into mindless slaves, with a few exceptions. Death of a Construct frees the mindless earth elemental who now returns to his home.

So the elemental plane of earth is the construct afterlife.

noob
2017-10-07, 08:08 AM
As is the elemental plane of water for water elemental based constructs.
(there is also a lich based construct and a dragon based construct and a construct based on the blood of its master)
For the master blood based construct(the homonculus) it is weirder since it is sentient and supposed to be an extension of its master.

Nifft
2017-10-07, 12:16 PM
If afterlife is a thing in your setting, then I'd assume constructs would get treated like other people.

- Do Aberrations have a separate afterlife?
- Do Dragons have a separate afterlife?
- Do composite beings have a separate afterlife? (e.g. a Kalashtar or a Chimera or a Caller In Darkness)
- Do Undead beings get TWO afterlives, one for their original type and another for their undead type (e.g. Vampire Heaven vs. Lich Limbo)?

If a Construct and a Halfling are both Paladins of the same god, and both of them die, do they go to different places?

IMHO if a Construct has a soul, and souls go to an afterlife, then the Construct soul ought to go where all the other souls do.

However, note that my games never have a visible & eternal afterlife -- death always holds some mystery.

noob
2017-10-07, 12:28 PM
If a Construct and a Halfling are both Paladins of the same god, and both of them die, do they go to different places?

No they both get to construct heaven because all paladins are constructs.

Nifft
2017-10-07, 12:33 PM
No they both get to construct heaven because all paladins are constructs.

Each Paladin has a key that winds the stick up his or her butt?