PDA

View Full Version : Optimization celestial warlock build help

Neo_phoenix
2017-10-07, 06:37 AM
Hi guys, while we wait for the Xanathar's Guide i am trying to make a good hybrid damage dealer/ healer build for celestial warlock. I need advice because i dont really know which multiclassing would be Better and if is better to take blade, tome or chain. Lore wise my pg protects life and his power comes from an angel that donated his power to him before dying.

Thunderbird
2017-10-07, 07:16 AM
If you want to multiclass, Oath of Devotion paladin comes to mind, which is a nice thematic fit. You will have a lot of healing resources from both classes, and you will also deal a good amount of damage with your smites and the Sacred Weapon option for Channel Divinity.
For your pact boon, I think you can choose whatever fits your concept more, as with the multiclass you will have both the healing and the damage covered, more or less.

Neo_phoenix
2017-10-07, 07:42 AM
If you want to multiclass, Oath of Devotion paladin comes to mind, which is a nice thematic fit. You will have a lot of healing resources from both classes, and you will also deal a good amount of damage with your smites and the Sacred Weapon option for Channel Divinity.
For your pact boon, I think you can choose whatever fits your concept more, as with the multiclass you will have both the healing and the damage covered, more or less.

how do you see favoured soul sorcerer? because prefer dex over strenght and in general i prefer being a caster. I like the idea of the pala but i wanted to see if sorc is too weak compared to it (also it would be possible to multiclass all 3? sorry for the noob question but i never multiclassed before)

Thunderbird
2017-10-07, 08:06 AM
I actually did not consider Favored Soul sorcerer, it is also a nice fit for your build. They both cast off charisma, so the synergy is there, and you will also be a good healer with their abilities combined. You can focus your damage output through your spells (the sorcerer is actually quite good at that, with the metamagic options).
You could also go melee if you want, picking Green-flame Blade as a cantrip and Quickening it (that would also benefit from the Radiant Soul feature). You would get only light armor proficiency, but you can take Armor of Shadows as an invocation to cast Mage Armor at will and make Dexterity your secondery stat. In that case, you would benefit from taking Pact of Blade with Thirsting Blade as an invocation to attack twice with your pact weapon.
Of course, you would have less hit points than you would from multiclassing with paladin, since the sorcerer gets a d6 hit die.

You can also multiclass with all three of them, but you must meet the prerequisites for all the classes, so you must have at least 13 Strength for the Paladin (check page 163 of the PHB). So that might be a problem if you wish to dumb Strength.

Edit: Have you decided on a race for your character?

Neo_phoenix
2017-10-07, 08:27 AM
I actually did not consider Favored Soul sorcerer, it is also a nice fit for your build. They both cast off charisma, so the synergy is there, and you will also be a good healer with their abilities combined. You can focus your damage output through your spells (the sorcerer is actually quite good at that, with the metamagic options).
You could also go melee if you want, picking Green-flame Blade as a cantrip and Quickening it (that would also benefit from the Radiant Soul feature). You would get only light armor proficiency, but you can take Armor of Shadows as an invocation to cast Mage Armor at will and make Dexterity your secondery stat. In that case, you would benefit from taking Pact of Blade with Thirsting Blade as an invocation to attack twice with your pact weapon.
Of course, you would have less hit points than you would from multiclassing with paladin, since the sorcerer gets a d6 hit die.

You can also multiclass with all three of them, but you must meet the prerequisites for all the classes, so you must have at least 13 Strength for the Paladin (check page 163 of the PHB). So that might be a problem if you wish to dumb Strength.

Edit: Have you decided on a race for your character?

ill prefer to go caster so i think sorcerer warlock is better, the race i was thinkig is half elf because is a race that i really like and aasimar is a bit weird (an half angel taking the powe from a dying angel seems not so original)

Thunderbird
2017-10-07, 08:34 AM
Half-elf is nice, and you get perfect stat bonuses for your build.
Also, if you have spells that deal fire damage, consider the Elemental Adept feat. That can boost your damage a bit, and works nicely with the Radiant Soul of the celestial warlock.

Neo_phoenix
2017-10-07, 08:39 AM
Half-elf is nice, and you get perfect stat bonuses for your build.
you think it would be better pure celestial warlock or to multiclass it with some levels of favoured soul sorcerer?

Throne12
2017-10-07, 08:47 AM
ill prefer to go caster so i think sorcerer warlock is better, the race i was thinkig is half elf because is a race that i really like and aasimar is a bit weird (an half angel taking the powe from a dying angel seems not so original)

I would say for race be a Aasimar. The go sorcerer first level from con save. Then go warlock to level 4. Pick pact of the chain get a familiar. You can use this familiar to cast healing spells at range through them. Then finished the rest in favored sorcerer. Now when playing a sorcerer you need to know what you want to do and plan your spells section.

Thunderbird
2017-10-07, 08:56 AM
If you want to be more warlock, you could go warlock 17/sorcerer 3. That way you will have a 9th level Mystic Arcanum from the warlock and the three levels of sorcerer would give you some extra cantrips and spells known, 4 first level and 2 second level spell slots per long rest (which add with your warlock slots), 3 sorcery points, flexible casting and 2 metamagic options.
The warlock/sorcerer multiclass is actually quite powerful.

rbstr
2017-10-07, 10:25 AM
If you want to be a more pure caster I'd just stick straight Warlock and use either the Tome or Chain pact.

You've got good damage with EB, decent damage with Sacred Flame if you want/need a save target or radiant damage. Decent AOE with Burning Hands and then Flame Strike.

3 levels of Sorc sounds nice on paper at level 20...but fitting those levels in at lower levels will really hurt your casting progression and not really help all that much. You basically need the 3 levels to make it worth while. Maybe think about it at level 12+.

If you want to amp up your healing, you can swing a 13 in WIS and grab a level or so of Life Cleric. That'll also put you in medium armor, so you can keep Dex lower.

Neo_phoenix
2017-10-07, 10:35 AM
If you want to be a more pure caster I'd just stick straight Warlock and use either the Tome or Chain pact.

You've got good damage with EB, decent damage with Sacred Flame if you want/need a save target or radiant damage. Decent AOE with Burning Hands and then Flame Strike.

3 levels of Sorc sounds nice on paper at level 20...but fitting those levels in at lower levels will really hurt your casting progression and not really help all that much. You basically need the 3 levels to make it worth while. Maybe think about it at level 12+.

If you want to amp up your healing, you can swing a 13 in WIS and grab a level or so of Life Cleric. That'll also put you in medium armor, so you can keep Dex lower.

that`s exactly what i was thinking about, ill play pure celestial lock with chain pact to buff the heals

DracoKnight
2017-10-07, 02:18 PM

It’ll actually put them in heavy armor due to the bonus proficiencies of a Life Domain Cleric.

rbstr
2017-10-07, 02:30 PM
Sure, he could go heavy armor. But...I don't really think it's a better option than medium here.

Is 1AC worth taking a in 15 strength over 14dex for the medium armor?
Unless he wants to be a heavy-weapon blade-lock I'd say no.

Rebonack
2017-10-07, 09:07 PM
Since you're using UA, I would highly recommend going Pact of the Chain and picking up the Healing Elixir spell. Equip your familiar of choice with a bandoleer full of potions and have them feed said potions to downed allies. Use travel time to burn spell slots to make more potions. And if at all possible, get your DM to let you use the spellpoint variant for your Warlock. It is SO much less painful to play as and it works great with Healing Elixir.

I've been doing this with my Great Old One Chainlock and she has managed to hold her own as the party's main support. It isn't as potent as, say, a Druid with a dip in Life Cleric (or Life Cleric with a dip in Druid) but overall it feels like a really solid healer.