PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Divination Only Occultist - Help?

Levism84
2017-10-07, 09:57 AM
I had a question in regards to the occultist; namely, I wanted to know if it was possible RAW to focus only in one implement school? I was looking at having a Samsaran Tome Eater who only focused in divination implements. Mechanical optimization discussions aside, is this mechanically doable? The Implements section of the occultist is a bit confusing (see below with my emphasis).

At 1st level, an occultist learns to use two implement schools. At 2nd level and every 4 occultist levels thereafter, the occultist learns to use one additional implement school, to a maximum of seven schools at 18th level. Each implement school adds one spell per spell level of that school of magic to the occultist’s spell list. No spells from any other school are considered to be on the occultist’s spell list until he selects the associated implement school. He can’t use spell trigger or spell completion magic items from unknown schools without succeeding at the appropriate Use Magic Device check. An occultist can select an implement school more than once in order to learn additional spells from the associated school.

Rules as written, does this mean I learn two separate implement schools at 1st level and THEN can select an implement school more than once with my later choices, or does this mean I can select an implement school twice at 1st level?

Additionally, while the occultist has divination spells to spare without Mystic Past Life (which the Samsaran Tome Eater would surely take to add a variety of different divination spells to their spell list), the divination implement school only has six focus powers while the class grants access to ten. Would this mean the character would forgo four focus powers since they would already take all the focus powers available to their single implement school by 11th level?

I just wish to fully understand all the limitations imposed RAW by this single implement school choice.

Thanks in advance for any advice and insight you can give me.