PDA

View Full Version : Thog and Elan

Ravenatog
2007-08-15, 07:31 AM
Does anyone else hope that Elan and Thog have another adventure just the two of them again, because there combined stupidity cause's some great plans and very funny conversations. Plus Elan being able to outsmart and trick someone is pretty funny, "What? Oh man! Thog, he'll never find his way back without a trail of bread crumbs".

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 08:03 AM
I really enjoyed their adventure together but I doubt that The Order Of The Stick will meet Linear Guild (or what's left of it) again..The plot now is really different.

They were funny though :elan: :thog:

BobTheDog
2007-08-15, 08:15 AM
I really enjoyed their adventure together but I doubt that The Order Of The Stick will meet Linear Guild (or what's left of it) again..The plot now is really different.

I don't think we've seen the last of the Linear Guild. There's no indication that the OotS greater story is coming to an end soon, and the LG has always been a major antagonist.

As for Thog and Elan going on a sidequest together... Unlikely. But possible (in the same way that Roy being reincarnated as a Kobold is possible).

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-15, 08:21 AM
They will run into the Linear Guild again, but I don't see a team-up.

Tyrania and Girard's Gate are both on the Western Continent, so I expect the sub-plot will be the rescue of Ian Starshine, while the plot will be trying to get to the gate.

Nale and Elan's father probably is the Tyrant of Tyrania, and following the Evil Overlord Guidebook, Nale will try for a power grab at just the wrong moment.

But for now, we still have to dislodge the hobgoblins from Azure City, rez Roy, get the same intel Xykon and Redcloak are looking for, and get moving towards the next gate.

maitreyi
2007-08-15, 08:40 AM
I know that we will see the Linear Guild again. :thog: :sabine: :nale:

They are too funny and I like watching Vaarsuvius trying to persuade the others to have them killed. V is more like Belkar that he/she knows.:vaarsuvius: :belkar:

Dragon_Keeper
2007-08-15, 10:30 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html) Nale says that they are going to go after another gate, so the only question is which gate they go for first.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 11:43 AM
I don't know why, but I feel that Oots online will come to an end soon. That's why I thought we're not going to meet the Linear Guild again. Maybe in a new book like SOD, but not here.
(I really hope the story here continues for a long time)

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-08-15, 12:38 PM
I don't know why, but I feel that Oots online will come to an end soon. That's why I thought we're not going to meet the Linear Guild again. Maybe in a new book like SOD, but not here.
(I really hope the story here continues for a long time)

Nope, just the current story arc. We are only about halfway through the whole comic. Rich already said he was going for at least 1000 strips.

So unless Rich is forced to end the strip due to health problems, OOTS will be around for at least three or four more years.

David Argall
2007-08-15, 02:40 PM
I doubt that The Order Of The Stick will meet Linear Guild (or what's left of it) again..The plot now is really different.

While Elan-Thog is unlikely to happen again, the Order will have to deal with the Guild again [assuming the comic continues, something we are a little scared about at the moment].
While the plot changes some, the outlines demand the LG at or on the way to the next gate. Elan and Nale and their dad are going to get stage time. All sorts of ways that might work out, but the LG is going to get into the action no matter who ends up king and who ends up fleeing town.

Cousinbj13
2007-08-15, 02:42 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html) Nale says that they are going to go after another gate, so the only question is which gate they go for first.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html

Question answered.

BobTheDog
2007-08-15, 02:49 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html

Question answered.

Funny. I didn't know that Nale was AKA Xykon, the lich sorceror.

Recursive
2007-08-15, 04:09 PM
While Elan-Thog is unlikely to happen again, the Order will have to deal with the Guild again...
A few story arcs down the line, as we move into the endgame, I imagine we'll see all kinds of strange shifting alliances. Each time one of the bad guys is on the verge of harnessing/releasing the snarl, all the other villains will have a strong temporary common cause with the OOTS: "prevent all that power from falling into hands other than mine". A Thog/Elan alliance would be far from the strangest thing that could happen:

Miko (to herself as she navigates a deep cave complex, casually cleaving through a horde of minor fiends as she walks): While I'm grateful to be resurrected, my stay in the afterlife gave me needed time for contemplation. I realize now that I was far too quick to condemn as evil what could be explained by simple stupidity. I owe Greenhilt an apolog...

(She rounds the corner to witness Roy and Redcloak desperately fighting to protect Xykon as the lich duels with a blonde guy in a goatee and a dark-skinned woman in red, both of whom are crackling with eldritch power.)

Miko: Ha! I was right all along! Never again will I doubt that the Twelve Gods have chosen me as their instrument! Die, Greenhilt!

Kjata
2007-08-15, 05:46 PM
A few story arcs down the line, as we move into the endgame, I imagine we'll see all kinds of strange shifting alliances. Each time one of the bad guys is on the verge of harnessing/releasing the snarl, all the other villains will have a strong temporary common cause with the OOTS: "prevent all that power from falling into hands other than mine". A Thog/Elan alliance would be far from the strangest thing that could happen:

Miko (to herself as she navigates a deep cave complex, casually cleaving through a horde of minor fiends as she walks): While I'm grateful to be resurrected, my stay in the afterlife gave me needed time for contemplation. I realize now that I was far too quick to condemn as evil what could be explained by simple stupidity. I owe Greenhilt an apolog...

(She rounds the corner to witness Roy and Redcloak desperately fighting to protect Xykon as the lich duels with a blonde guy in a goatee and a dark-skinned woman in red, both of whom are crackling with eldritch power.)

Miko: Ha! I was right all along! Never again will I doubt that the Twelve Gods have chosen me as their instrument! Die, Greenhilt!

Crap... now miko has to come back... thats just too awesome...

Querzis
2007-08-15, 06:24 PM
I dont know if its just too much stupidity for me but I didnt enjoy the Elan and Thog adventure at all. As far as I'm concerned, Elan with Roy or Thog with Nale are 200 times better and funnier then the two dumbass alone without any intelligent people to counter their idiocy. Beside, its just very unlikely to happen, but I'm sure we'll see the Linear Guild again.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-16, 08:10 PM
I want them to beat the linear guild once and for all and for thog to join with the OoTS but i know its not gunna happen.

Oxymoron
2007-08-16, 11:14 PM
The problem with Thog and MITD is that they are just too stupid to be funny in the long run. Elan is funny because he is more creative in his stupidity, like making Banjo the hand puppet god and sing loudly in hope of making the others more quiet. Thog and the MITD are less creative, being led by others all the time and making inane comments. Yes, they have their moments, but their characters are pretty 1 dimensional.

Look at the show Family guy. Chris Griffin is this totally stupid moron. I`ve never found him funny. He just says stupid things and falls down stairs. NOT FUNNY! So I hope we`ll never see another pairing with Thog and Elan. Elan carried that whole story alone. Thog just dressed up funny.

Oberon
2007-08-17, 01:13 AM
They will run into the Linear Guild again, but I don't see a team-up.

I agree with Kjata's comment that the OOTs may team up with either LG or Team Evil (less likely, IMO), to thwart the other or stop the Snarl which would destroy the world. Xykon has already stated he has no intension of destroying the world (he'd rather rule it), and Nale probably doesn't want to die at the Snarl's hand either.

Henceforth, there could feasably be some more Thog/Elan interaction, but probably in the context of a larger group.

the_tick_rules
2007-08-17, 02:36 AM
elan and thog. two people, one brain cell.

David Argall
2007-08-17, 02:44 AM
A few story arcs down the line, as we move into the endgame, I imagine we'll see all kinds of strange shifting alliances. Each time one of the bad guys is on the verge of harnessing/releasing the snarl, all the other villains will have a strong temporary common cause with the OOTS:

A problem here is power imbalance. The lich is just too strong to really need an aliance with the OOTS, and the LG is too weak. A LG-OOTS aliance is possible, but has already been tried.
Now I suppose we could get a few strips of hot potato where magic device of gate control gets passed from character to character, but even here, we probably need to keep Xykon out of the game.
But the story works better with the lich as the big foe and the LG as a nuisance.

Miko I owe Greenhilt an apolog...

The problem is getting Miko to change her mind, not assume she will switch at the first sign of something. For something like this, she would never think she owed Roy the apology in the first place.