PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Blast Turtle (Monster)

Kaskus
2017-10-07, 03:51 PM
My first piece of 5e homebrew!

Disclaimer: I have played a grand total of 1 session of 5e.

Disclaimer: While this did end up being inspired by blastoise from pokemon, it is not meant to be a conversion. I don't play pokemon, I don't watch pokemon and honestly am not super familiar with it / them.

With that said, P.E.A.C.H. away!

Blast Turtle
Huge monstrosity, unsigned

AC: 15
HP: 85 (9d12+27)
Speed: 40 ft., swim 40 ft.

Str: 24 (+7) | Dex: 10 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 2 (-4) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 6 (-2)

Senses: passive Perception 11
Languages: -
Challenge: 4 (1100 XP)

TRAITS
Amphibious: Blast turtles can breathe air and water.

Slow: Blast turtles cannot take the dash action.

Steady: Blast turtles are considered one size category larger for purposes of determining their carrying capacity.

ACTIONS
Water Blast: By forcing water from one of the two ballast chambers in its shell, the blast turtle expels a line of water that is 30 feet long and 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 15 dexterity saving throw, taking 27 (4d12) bludgeoning damage and being knocked back 10 feet in a failed save or half as much damage and no knock-back on a successful one. Once a blast turtle has emptied both chambers, it may not use this ability again until they are refilled.

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., Hit: 6 (1d12) bludgeoning damage.

Notes: The reason I made this is that I am playing a Triton with the noble background and want something suitable to ride and carry my stuff. The idea is to put a howdah on the shell and use it as a mount / RV. I started by looking at the Elephant and then reworking it as an amphibious beast of burden. Then, I was looking for a suitable picture and found a really cool blastoise image so I added the water blast ability with the idea that it has these ballast chambers in its shell to help it dive and the blast evolved as a defense mechanism using that existing physiology.

I had originally wanted it to be a beast but wasn't sure that would fly.

Please give me your thoughts, notes, ideas, etc.

Thanks!