PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is a Yklwa?

CrackedChair
2017-10-07, 11:38 PM
I browsed D&D beyond for a bit to find something classified as a weapon called a Yklwa.

There was some information and some actual lore on it, but not much information was shown.

Could someone tell me what it is, and how it is stated?

Marcloure
2017-10-07, 11:43 PM
"A typical yklwa was four feet long, with about 40% of the length taken up by its sword-like, bladed point."

Something like this, I think: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e3/b4/98/e3b4987c5e4b53e776989b5cbe6d5131.jpg

afroakuma
2017-10-07, 11:45 PM
I browsed D&D beyond for a bit to find something classified as a weapon called a Yklwa.

There was some information and some actual lore on it, but not much information was shown.

Could someone tell me what it is, and how it is stated?

A yklwa is a type of shortspear specialized for melee-range stabbing, used by the tabaxi of the Chultan Peninsula in the Forgotten Realms. I'm not familiar with any 5E stats, but I can offer a comparison in a few minutes.

Correction: D&D Beyond has stats listed.

A yklwa (pronounced YICK-ul-wah) is a simple melee weapon that is the traditional weapon of Chultan warriors. A yklwa consists of a 3-foot wooden shaft with a steel or stone blade up to 18 inches long. It costs 1 gp, and it deals 1d8 piercing damage on a hit. Although it has the thrown weapon property, the yklwa is not well balanced for throwing (range 10/30 ft.).

scalyfreak
2017-10-07, 11:46 PM
I got this: https://www.dndbeyond.com/equipment/yklwa

But that is it.

Crgaston
2017-10-07, 11:50 PM
I've always seen it spelled "iklwa," which may help with the pronunciation. It is a short-handled, long-bladed thrusting spear invented/promoted by Shaka Zulu.

Regitnui
2017-10-08, 02:21 AM
I've always seen it spelled "iklwa," which may help with the pronunciation. It is a short-handled, long-bladed thrusting spear invented/promoted by Shaka Zulu.

I was just about to post this. It's really the Zulu equivalent of a dagger or short sword, used for mêlée where the bigger spears would have been used to throw or attack from behind a shield, if I recall correctly. It also has an odd pronounciation.

Requilac
2017-10-08, 07:45 AM
The Yklwah is a weapon that was implemented specifically for those playing Tomb of annihilation; the current season of AL. ToA takes place in Chult, a jungle peninsula infested with dinosaurs in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. The name "yklwah" (pronounced YICK-ul-wah) supposedly mimicked the sucking sound heard when pulling the weapon from the heart of a slain dinosaur.

It's a one-handed simple Melee weapon that deals 1D8 piercing damage and can be thrown without disadvantage up 10ft. away, or can be thrown with disadvantage up to 30ft. away.

War_lord
2017-10-08, 08:18 AM
Like others have said, it's the Zulu Iklwa. It's a spear with a short shaft and a long blade.

No brains
2017-10-08, 08:20 AM
According to Deadliest Warrior (also arm yourself with a grain of salt) the name is supposed to be an onomatopoeia for the sound of stabbing someone. Squick-wa.

nickl_2000
2017-10-08, 08:31 AM
The Yklwah is a weapon that was implemented specifically for those playing Tomb of annihilation; the current season of AL. ToA takes place in Chult, a jungle peninsula infested with dinosaurs in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. The name "yklwah" (pronounced YICK-ul-wah) supposedly mimicked the sucking sound heard when pulling the weapon from the heart of a slain dinosaur.

It's a one-handed simple Melee weapon that deals 1D8 piercing damage and can be thrown without disadvantage up 10ft. away, or can be thrown with disadvantage up to 30ft. away.

So, basically the best possible weapon for non martial prof characters?

Regitnui
2017-10-08, 08:44 AM
The name "yklwah" (pronounced YICK-ul-wah) supposedly mimicked the sucking sound heard when pulling the weapon from the heart of a slain dinosaur.

That's more accurate than they might think; it's the reason behind the real world name (spelled iklwa or ixwa), except WotC substituted "dinosaur" for "person". There weren't a lot of dinosaurs running around South Africa back then. Even now, the dinosaurs are politicians who refuse to adapt to the new status quo and think of themselves as a liberation movement... /localpoliticalsarcasm

According to Deadliest Warrior (also arm yourself with a grain of salt) the name is supposed to be an onomatopoeia for the sound of stabbing someone. ick-wa.

Fixed. :smalltongue:

There's actually a click in the 'k'. It's isn't pronounced like the "k" in kick, but by clicking against the roof of your mouth.

No brains
2017-10-08, 09:32 AM
Does the pronunciation actually use the 'click' sound? The one that's written as "!"? Should the spelling then be "Ic!lwa"?

I actually considered your correction, but was worried that 'squick' had largely replaced 'ick' online. :smallsmile:

Regitnui
2017-10-08, 09:45 AM
Does the pronunciation actually use the 'click' sound? The one that's written as "!"? Should the spelling then be "Ic!lwa"?

I!wa, if we must. But nobody can pronounce that in standard English.

Requilac
2017-10-08, 11:09 AM
So, basically the best possible weapon for non martial prof characters?

Well, I would not quite say that. Druids, sorcerers and wizards lack proficiency with the Yklwah, so it is not the best weapon for them . Rogues can't add their sneak attack damage while using a Yklwah so they would be better off with a finesse or ranged weapon. Bards should probably focus on dexterity and wield a rapier instead. The Yklwah is a solid choice for clerics and warlocks with higher strength than dexterity or monks though.

nickl_2000
2017-10-08, 01:18 PM
Well, I would not quite say that. Druids, sorcerers and wizards lack proficiency with the Yklwah, so it is not the best weapon for them . Rogues can't add their sneak attack damage while using a Yklwah so they would be better off with a finesse or ranged weapon. Bards should probably focus on dexterity and wield a rapier instead. The Yklwah is a solid choice for clerics and warlocks with higher strength than dexterity or monks though.

Is still a better weapon than a lot of martial choices and pretty equal to others. It beats out the flail, morningstar, and warlock, and is a trade off between thrown and versatile for the rest. Seems odd to me that they would do that.

Requilac
2017-10-08, 03:32 PM
Is still a better weapon than a lot of martial choices and pretty equal to others. It beats out the flail, morningstar, and warlock, and is a trade off between thrown and versatile for the rest. Seems odd to me that they would do that.

I did not say that the Yklwah was not a good weapon for people to use, quite the contrary, I would actually say it's he best mundane dueling weapon you can get. I think that it is certainly better Than the flail, morning-star and war-pick. You could make a case that it's better than the battle-axe, longsword and war-hammer because it has thrown but not versatile. If I was a strength based dueler , I would totally use a Yklwah as my primary weapon. The statement you said though is that the Yklwah is "basically the best possible weapon for character without martial weapon proficiency" and I argued that more than half the classes without martial weapon proficiency have better options to take. Your response was unrelated to my arguement.

Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not trying to sound aggressive, but it's difficult for me to express my emotions over pure text.

DracoKnight
2017-10-08, 04:18 PM
As a monk, why should I ever not use a yklwa? They're better than the shortsword, and unlike the longsword, I don't have to be a kensei to use it as a monk weapon.

Contrast
2017-10-08, 05:07 PM
As a monk, why should I ever not use a yklwa? They're better than the shortsword, and unlike the longsword, I don't have to be a kensei to use it as a monk weapon.

Assuming your DM lets you use flurry of blows with a versatile weapon (letting go after you make the attack/kicks are a thing) and you otherwise have a free hand (why wouldn't you?) its just a worse spear (edit - I guess the thrown damage is more at the cost of a worse range - but if you're resorting to throwing you likely need the range so...).

Also, shortswords are light weapons so you can dual wield and get some bonus action attacks in without burning Ki.

DracoKnight
2017-10-08, 05:15 PM
Also, shortswords are light weapons so you can dual wield and get some bonus action attacks in without burning Ki.

Martial Arts gives you an offhand attack without burning Ki. Flurry of Blows is an upgrade to that offhand attack that costs Ki.

Zene
2017-10-08, 05:21 PM
There's actually a click in the 'k'. It's isn't pronounced like the "k" in kick, but by clicking against the roof of your mouth.

I read elsewhere that it’s not the roof of your mouth click, but the side of your mouth (cheek) click. Apparently they are distinct and different clicks. Dunno if that’s true; I may go do some reasearch now to make sure I’m not spreading disinfo.

Edit: Seems legit — https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NCMj7da5Da4

Contrast
2017-10-08, 05:32 PM
Martial Arts gives you an offhand attack without burning Ki. Flurry of Blows is an upgrade to that offhand attack that costs Ki.

So it does. Can you tell I've never played with a monk? :smallbiggrin:

That said, from levels 1-4 using a shortsword bumps that attack from 1d4 to 1d6 so you get 2d6. Alternatively the yklwa gets you 1d8 and 1d4. So equivalent in most cases. I'll concede the shortswords are more awkward due to needing to draw two weapons and occupying two hands.

DracoKnight
2017-10-08, 05:35 PM
So it does. Can you tell I've never played with a monk? :smallbiggrin:

That said, from levels 1-4 using a shortsword bumps that attack from 1d4 to 1d6 so you get 2d6. Alternatively the yklwa gets you 1d8 and 1d4. So equivalent in most cases. I'll concede the shortswords are more awkward due to needing to draw two weapons and occupying two hands.

Also, not adding your mod without the Fighting Style, so the yklwa is actually ahead of it. (Yklwa: 4.5 + 3 + 2.5 + 3 = 13 vs. Shortsword: 3.5 + 3 + 3.5 = 10 vs. Shortsword & Fist: 3.5 + 3 + 2.5 + 3 = 12)

nickl_2000
2017-10-08, 06:58 PM
I did not say that the Yklwah was not a good weapon for people to use, quite the contrary, I would actually say it's he best mundane dueling weapon you can get. I think that it is certainly better Than the flail, morning-star and war-pick. You could make a case that it's better than the battle-axe, longsword and war-hammer because it has thrown but not versatile. If I was a strength based dueler , I would totally use a Yklwah as my primary weapon. The statement you said though is that the Yklwah is "basically the best possible weapon for character without martial weapon proficiency" and I argued that more than half the classes without martial weapon proficiency have better options to take. Your response was unrelated to my arguement.

Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not trying to sound aggressive, but it's difficult for me to express my emotions over pure text.

You are fine. My response was disjointed (I really shouldn't respond in here on my phone, it's never all that great of a response).

It does seem like an odd design decision to make a simple weapon so good though. Between the damage and the thrown property, it's pretty dang powerful for a simple weapon. It is a clear choice for a lot of builds.

Requilac
2017-10-08, 09:40 PM
You are fine. My response was disjointed (I really shouldn't respond in here on my phone, it's never all that great of a response).

I have heard this said a lot on this forum, but I always post on my phone and have never had the problem where my words get "disjointed" as you call it. I am much better at typing than I am texting, so i don't quite know what my excuse is. In all realism i think the key is to just re-check what you wrote before you send it. That's what I do, and it has not failed me so far (albeit, I have been on this forum for less than a month).

Foxhound438
2017-10-08, 10:07 PM
Assuming your DM lets you use flurry of blows with a versatile weapon (letting go after you make the attack/kicks are a thing) and you otherwise have a free hand (why wouldn't you?) its just a worse spear (edit - I guess the thrown damage is more at the cost of a worse range - but if you're resorting to throwing you likely need the range so...).

there's also just the benefit of the free hand. Deflect missiles, yo.

DracoKnight
2017-10-08, 10:11 PM

Again, why wouldn't I ever use a yklwa as a Monk? :smallbiggrin:

Regitnui
2017-10-09, 12:20 AM

Watsonian: Nobody ever makes them in the part of the word your character's from, focusing on more traditional Western Medieval weaponry.

Doylist: You already used your +1 book in AL on your subclass. Your DM doesn't want you to have one.

Rowan Wolf
2017-10-09, 12:43 AM
Kind of reminds me of the spears thr Aiel used in TWoT series.

nickl_2000
2017-10-09, 04:56 AM
I have heard this said a lot on this forum, but I always post on my phone and have never had the problem where my words get "disjointed" as you call it. I am much better at typing than I am texting, so i don't quite know what my excuse is. In all realism i think the key is to just re-check what you wrote before you send it. That's what I do, and it has not failed me so far (albeit, I have been on this forum for less than a month).

Glad it works for you. Apparently my mind doesn't function as well when I'm typing on my phone (probably because I'm doing it quickly in between other things going on, verses if I'm on a PC I'm now focused). Probably best for me to just troll and not respond on my phone :)

Contrast
2017-10-09, 06:23 AM

I believe Sage Advice has generally ruled when using/holding a weapon two handed you can let go when not actively using it and count as having a free hand. So unless I'm missing something (and I have a pretty good track record in this thread of missing things so do correct me if I'm wrong :smallbiggrin:) the point stands that for a monk its basically just a spear where you boost from 1d6 to 1d8 damage for thrown damage at the cost of halving the thrown ranges. Seems a reasonable trade off rather than straight buff to me.

Obviously the spear requires two hands to get the d8 damage in melee but it would be a very unusual monk build who was using a shield and you've already pointed out dual wielding doesn't make sense so *shrugs*

From level 11 on a javelin looks to be strictly superior to everything.

Trampaige
2017-10-09, 09:59 AM
Unarmed strikes aren't even punches. They're whatever. Headbutts, kicks, knees, elbows.

At our table, the monk uses his quarterstaff two handed and makes unarmed strikes like normal. The discussion came up regarding my bladelock being able to cast a spell while wielding a glaive. I referenced the 'only need two hands to attack with, not to hold it' sage advice and the DM asked why that wouldn't also apply to the monk.

It might be kind of fishy in AL depending on your DM, because the rules aren't concrete, but I don't see a problem with it.

The Yklwa might just represent some power creep occurring, which happens in every edition.

Foxhound438
2017-10-09, 11:30 AM
I believe Sage Advice has generally ruled when using/holding a weapon two handed you can let go when not actively using it and count as having a free hand. So unless I'm missing something (and I have a pretty good track record in this thread of missing things so do correct me if I'm wrong :smallbiggrin:) the point stands that for a monk its basically just a spear where you boost from 1d6 to 1d8 damage for thrown damage at the cost of halving the thrown ranges. Seems a reasonable trade off rather than straight buff to me.

Obviously the spear requires two hands to get the d8 damage in melee but it would be a very unusual monk build who was using a shield and you've already pointed out dual wielding doesn't make sense so *shrugs*

From level 11 on a javelin looks to be strictly superior to everything.

problem is there's still other things you can use a free hand for. A monk that gets gauntlets of ogre strength might decide to grapple an enemy and then knock them prone with open hand technique. Any other monk weapon gets downgraded to a d6 or worse at this point.

Or if you decided to go monk X cleric Y, you can have a divine focus in one hand without losing damage.

you can dip 1 or 2 in fighter or ranger, respectively, and have dueling style for +2 damage on a bigger die.

You can hold onto a rope or ladder while attacking

And honestly there's just no benefit to using a different weapon. The only arguable caveat is thrown weapons, but the yklwa itself is thrown and better in damage than all of the other options monk gets.

Contrast
2017-10-09, 01:46 PM
Snip

So from level 11 on the javelin has always been strictly superior to everything. The yklwa is arguably better than a spear (I still think you're going to want more throwing distance more often than you're going to want a free hand) which was previously the weapon which was superior to everything from levels 1-11.

All of this gets blown out of the water the moment the DM gives you pretty much any magical weapon which probably outweighs any of these considerations.

Is this really an issue? I don't think so.

Regitnui
2017-10-09, 01:58 PM
All of this gets blown out of the water the moment the DM gives you pretty much any magical weapon which probably outweighs any of these considerations.

Unless it's a magical yklwa! :smalleek:

Kreetn
2017-10-30, 01:19 PM
Can a yklwa be used under water like a spear?
That is to say, without penaty?

Also could I pick it as my starting weapon?

ZorroGames
2017-10-31, 05:36 PM

I expect a Chultan character starting at level 1 should automatically have it if they have simple weapons.

Requilac
2017-10-31, 09:24 PM

Here is the passage in the PHB on underwater combat...

“When making a melee weapon attack, a creature that doesn’t have a swimming speed (either natural or granted by magic) has disadvantage on the attack roll unless the weapon is a dagger, javelin, shortsword, spear, or trident.
A ranged weapon attack automatically misses a target beyond the weapon’s normal range. Even against a target within normal range, the attack roll has disadvantage unless the weapon is a crossbow, a net, or a weapon that is thrown like a javelin (including a spear, trident, or dart).”

This is kind of a strange rule by a purely RAW interpretation but I will try to explain it. The Yklwah is thrown like a javelin, so you can throw it up to 10 feet Without disadvantage. But by RAW it is not “dagger, javelin, shortsword, spear, or trident.” so you cannot use it in melee without disadvantage while underwater. As a DM I would allow it to be used underwater without penalty (aside from the “ranged weapon attack automatically misses a target beyond the weapon’s normal range” clause) because a Yklwah is essentially a type of spear, but if you are playing AL or a RAW strict game than the weapon can be thrown up to it’s normal range properly, but not used in melee without disadvantage. Quite odd, isn’t it?

Foxhound438
2017-10-31, 11:46 PM

it's a simple weapon, so if your class says you can take a simple weapon in place of a specific weapon (monk does: you can take a shortsword or any simple weapon) then yes. By the books at least, any DM may decide not to allow it.

Sigreid
2017-11-01, 10:39 AM
Looking at the stats, what it is is awesome! A simple weapon, 1 handed spear that does as much damage as a long sword wielded one handed. What it is is another viable weapon for a weapon and shield type.

The description makes it sound similar to the heavy short spear used by greek soldiers.

Regitnui
2017-11-01, 01:23 PM
Looking at the stats, what it is is awesome! A simple weapon, 1 handed spear that does as much damage as a long sword wielded one handed. What it is is another viable weapon for a weapon and shield type.

The description makes it sound similar to the heavy short spear used by greek soldiers.

More accurately, the short stabbing spear used by the Zulu tribe to forge an empire.

Sigreid
2017-11-01, 01:43 PM
More accurately, the short stabbing spear used by the Zulu tribe to forge an empire.

Yeah, every culture that developed a shield seems to have developed their own take on a short stabbing spear to be used with it. Especially if they figured out the advantages of a shield wall. :smallbiggrin:

Main point was, this is a great weapon and shield weapon. And being simple, it's fantastic for classes that can heavy armor, but not martial weapon like several types of cleric.

KorvinStarmast
2017-11-01, 01:49 PM
The Yklwa might just represent some power creep occurring, which happens in every edition. Ya think? (Yuan Ti character class? Arakockra? and so on ...) :smallcool:

Unless it's a magical yklwa! Easy on those spoilers, eh? :smallwink:

ZorroGames
2017-11-01, 05:04 PM
Ya think? (Yuan Ti character class? Arakockra? and so on ...) :smallcool:
Easy on those spoilers, eh? :smallwink:

In theory any weapon can be magic...

Regitnui
2017-11-01, 11:16 PM
In theory any weapon can be magic...

By RAW any weapon can be magic.