PDA

View Full Version : Coma Mage Repertoire

cupkeyk
2007-08-15, 09:36 AM
Instead of dealing hitpoint damage, it has become the smarter choice to deal ability damage rendering an opponent paralyzed or comatose or worse, in the case of constitution, dead.

Considering that intelligence has feeblemind/ray of stupidity, wisdom has mind fog/phantasmal assailants, is there any spell that deal charisma damage?

Charisma is every one's favorite dump stat, so this could be a fight ender for many creatures.

Wraithy
2007-08-15, 09:39 AM
not that I know of, but there is allways the staff of the ugly stick

cody.burton
2007-08-15, 10:00 AM
The psionic power Ego Whip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/egoWhip.htm) does charisma damage and can daze opponents.

cupkeyk
2007-08-15, 10:17 AM
Awesome! I have been foregoing a Kalashtar Psion for some time. Do psions get to damage the full six abilities?

Tellah
2007-08-15, 10:31 AM
No, it's really just Ego Whip. They have plenty of other powers (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPsionList.html)that fit the theme, though: disable, mental disruption, psionic blast, mindwipe, psychic crush, fuse flesh, decerebrate, etc. Be a telepath (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicDisciplineList.html#telepath-telepathy-discipline-powers)(and take the Kalashtar racial substitution level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/eberron/177450000)!) to get access to crisis of breath and crisis of life, two of my favorite debilitating powers.

its_all_ogre
2007-08-15, 10:44 AM
soulknife class gets access to the the ability at higher levels.
it is the only good thing they get though!

Decoy Lockbox
2007-08-15, 04:31 PM
Man, how did I not see this thread earlier? Just last year I played a wizard who specialized in what he called "Coma-mancy". He was also an amateur neurosurgeon. I used ray of stupidity and feeblemind to great effect, and the DM even let me research a custom spells: Stupidity Explosion, which is like fireball but does 1d6+(1 for every 3 levels) Int damage in a large burst, Will save for half. However, I found that when battles broke out, I was better off using black tentacles or fireball, as using Int damage spells on something which the fighters are beating up on sorta conflicts with their game plan and makes your spells less useful.

The character was named Prilosec OTC (Official Thaumaturge Counselor), after I realized that medicine names make great names for Wizards. E.g. Immitrex, Vioxx.

Recursive
2007-08-15, 05:21 PM
the DM even let me research a custom spells: Stupidity Explosion, which is like fireball but does 1d6+(1 for every 3 levels) Int damage in a large burst, Will save for half.
Man, we've got to stop letting you near the White House.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-15, 05:47 PM
The character was named Prilosec OTC (Official Thaumaturge Counselor), after I realized that medicine names make great names for Wizards. E.g. Immitrex, Vioxx.

Oh wow. All fear the great sorceror Xanax.

Decoy Lockbox
2007-08-15, 07:47 PM
@ Recursive: You would have thought that the Int damage would have worn off by now, but with our dear leader, anything is possible.

@ Fax_Celestis: I had an earlier gray elf wizard, who was the crown prince of his country. His name was Prince Lotrimin of Tinactin. Though as a low level wizard, he was not in any way tough actin. He did survive two consecutive phantasmal killer spells at level 5 though....DM was being a jerk that day for some reason.

We made a list of appropriate medicine names last year, let me see if I can find it...

Zirtech
Imitrex
Prilosec
Vioxx
Nexium
Ditech
Valtrex

I used Prilosec, and the DM named a major wizard NPC Immitrex. I think Nexium is on the top of the heap after that though.

BCOVertigo
2007-08-15, 08:14 PM
This will come in handy as I'm playing a changeling beguiler currently and need a ready source of names, shutting my eyes and leaning back in the chair for 30 seconds when asked my name is getting annoying.

tensai
2007-08-16, 06:23 AM
I heartily recommend antidepressants for beguiler names.

The Prince of Cats
2007-08-16, 06:43 AM
It is odd that D&D lacks any good charisma-killers, since it was a popular trick in Shadowrun to knacker someone's dump stat to disable them and (even there) charisma was the most common one...

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-16, 07:41 AM
Maybe it's because you're supposed to dump charisma, or something like that.

Bunny of Faith
2007-08-16, 09:45 AM
Just out of curiousity, what would lowering someones charisma to 0 or a - number actually do?

Arbitrarity
2007-08-16, 09:47 AM
Unconscious, as in DMG. They can't differentiate themselves from anything else, they have no sense of self. So, they can't take actions.

*rues ninja'ing with a rapid, somewhat accurate response, instead of finding a quote*

No revenge now?

Tyger
2007-08-16, 09:53 AM
From the SRD:
While any loss is debilitating, losing all points in an ability score can be devastating.

- Strength 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He lies helpless on the ground.
- Dexterity 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He stands motionless, rigid, and helpless.
- Constitution 0 means that the character is dead.
- Intelligence 0 means that the character cannot think and is unconscious in a coma-like stupor, helpless.
- Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a deep sleep filled with nightmares, helpless.
- Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Curse you Arbitrarity. You'll rue the day!!!