PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Thief Rogue/Fighter Advice

mephnick
2017-10-08, 07:36 AM
So after DMing for about 15 years straight through various editions, I've finally been allowed to play a character! Unfortunately I've found out I'm not good at making characters, so I need some advice on my current character for HotDQ and RoT. I didn't plan him out very far in advance because this was kind of a last minute thing and I'm confused about where to go.

The character is currently Thief Rogue 3/Fighter 1. I use a whip and a free hand for throwing things, but also have a shield and longbow in case I need them.
Current build is:
STR 12, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 14, CHA 12.
Variant Human with the Mobile feat.
Duelist fighting style
Expertise in Perception and Investigation

I've got half a mind to go to Fighter 3 and take some maneuvers and then decide which class to focus on, but maybe you guys have some insight for me. Battlemaster worth it? Focus Fighter or Rogue? Both?

UA is generally allowed as far as I know.

MrFahrenheit
2017-10-08, 07:55 AM
Dear lord yes!!!

You are king against an enemy with equipment once you go battlemaster!

In one round:
Partial move to enemy
Bonus action (fast hands) to swipe their holstered backup weapon and place it in your backpack (in my game, this is one swift motion. Talk to your DM though)
Attack action (with disarming attack) to knock their equipped weapon down.
Free action to interact with object and kick said primary weapon away.
Rest of move to go to next victim. You can't disengage, since you already used your bonus action, but who cares? If you do get hit by your mark, it's 1+str.

PeteNutButter
2017-10-08, 08:02 AM
I'd say Ideally you want 5 levels in both classes at level 10, how you get there is to taste. Battle master is very much worth it as using Riposte gives you an extra sneak attack that round. By the time you get there, extra attack is too good to pass up.

Long term, I wouldn't go more than 6 in fighter, with the rest in rogue.

Look to max your dex. If you plan to stick in fights, sentinel is an obvious feat, but can clash with the mobile feat. I like to take the Healer feat on thieves myself.

Finieous
2017-10-08, 10:26 AM
Agree with PeteNutButter: Get Extra Attack and Uncanny Dodge, 6th level fighter for the easy ASI, the rest rogue.

lunaticfringe
2017-10-08, 10:45 AM
If you only really want 2 Manuevers, Scout is a sexy Fighter Archtype on a Fighter 6/Rogue X. You get the Manuevers from that feat that I'm too lazy to look up pre coffee.

Just throwing that out there as something to consider. Monster Hunter works too.

bid
2017-10-08, 05:07 PM
I've got half a mind to go to Fighter 3 and take some maneuvers and then decide which class to focus on, but maybe you guys have some insight for me. Battlemaster worth it? Focus Fighter or Rogue? Both?
Extra attack will give you a second chance at SA. That's the biggest increase in DPR since you don't TWF.

BM is front-loaded, riposte damage will grow with SA.

Don't be in a hurry to fighter 6. Getting resilient(Wis) is an early slippery mind, but you delay other rogue features.

Citan
2017-10-08, 06:04 PM
So after DMing for about 15 years straight through various editions, I've finally been allowed to play a character! Unfortunately I've found out I'm not good at making characters, so I need some advice on my current character for HotDQ and RoT. I didn't plan him out very far in advance because this was kind of a last minute thing and I'm confused about where to go.

The character is currently Thief Rogue 3/Fighter 1. I use a whip and a free hand for throwing things, but also have a shield and longbow in case I need them.
Current build is:
STR 12, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 14, CHA 12.
Variant Human with the Mobile feat.
Duelist fighting style
Expertise in Perception and Investigation

UA is generally allowed as far as I know.
Well, I agree with people saying that aiming a 5/5 split is good.
I'd probably pick Rogue 4 first to grab a feat: Healer if your party is in need, Ritual Caster if you want utility (Find Familiar can help immediately, Phantom Steed later can make you laugh as nobody can reach you), Magic Initiate: Wizard for immediate benefit (Mage Armor or Find Familiar, Booming Blade, Minor Illusion would be my pick).
Then, since I'm so close already, I'd pick Uncanny Dodge, but I understand how a strong case could be made for switching Fighter to get Action Surge and Manoeuvers ASAP.

TL;DR: Rogue 4 ASAP, then whatever you want towards 5/5 split.

SpamCreateWater
2017-10-08, 06:40 PM
Meet Easy_Lee's Iron Scoundrel, Hans (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?527941-Tank-build-contest!&p=22122076&viewfull=1#post22122076).

mephnick
2017-10-08, 09:12 PM
Yeah, 5/5 is the path I was thinking. Good stuff to mull over. I'll likely pass on things like Magic Initiate (though it's a good idea) because I like being the only character with zero magic in the party. Healer definitely seems like a good deal for Fast Hands but we have a cleric and druid in the party so I'm not sure I'll need it.

I was wondering about Monster Hunter and taking the Martial Adept feat for another die and two of the better tradtional maneuvers, but I may stick with BM.

I like the Iron Scoundrel, but wanted to keep the shield as more of a backup option in a sticky situation rather than a core mechanic of the character. I did use the idea as an NPC a while ago though lol.

I guess I'll go 3/3, either BM or MH, then F5/R3 then 5/5...then rogue X with a shot of F6 for the feat at some point.

Still undecided on feats but I might as well grab that +2 Dex at some point I suppose.

guachi
2017-10-08, 10:50 PM
If you only really want 2 Manuevers, Scout is a sexy Fighter Archtype on a Fighter 6/Rogue X. You get the Manuevers from that feat that I'm too lazy to look up pre coffee.

Just throwing that out there as something to consider. Monster Hunter works too.

Variant Human Fighter/Scout + Rogue with Rogue as your first level gives you 10 skills with 2 at expertise. Plus you can use Superiority dice to be even better. Take Shield Master. Profit!!

Easy_Lee
2017-10-08, 11:06 PM
Thief / BM is solid. Like the others, I recommed fighter 5 first. Extra attack + dueling is good, reliable damage, especially adding BM maneuvers. Uncanny Dodge is useful, but since you're a whip user and will have your bonus action for hide, dash, and disengage (along with Fast Hands shenanigans), you shouldn't get hit often.

For BM maneuvers, I'd pick up Trip and Precision for sure. Both help you land sneak attack, and you want that every round.

djreynolds
2017-10-09, 12:35 AM
You know you have a good wisdom score, you could throw is 2 levels of ranger for TWF and snag hunters mark or archery style

Also a level of any cleric is nice as well for just utility and something to concentrate on

Citan
2017-10-09, 04:09 AM
Yeah, 5/5 is the path I was thinking. Good stuff to mull over. I'll likely pass on things like Magic Initiate (though it's a good idea) because I like being the only character with zero magic in the party. Healer definitely seems like a good deal for Fast Hands but we have a cleric and druid in the party so I'm not sure I'll need it.

I was wondering about Monster Hunter and taking the Martial Adept feat for another die and two of the better tradtional maneuvers, but I may stick with BM.

I like the Iron Scoundrel, but wanted to keep the shield as more of a backup option in a sticky situation rather than a core mechanic of the character. I did use the idea as an NPC a while ago though lol.

I guess I'll go 3/3, either BM or MH, then F5/R3 then 5/5...then rogue X with a shot of F6 for the feat at some point.

Still undecided on feats but I might as well grab that +2 Dex at some point I suppose.
Hmmm, in that case, from what you say, my view is that you can postpone the Rogue's ASI without regret, so then I'd change my opinion to say "go Fighter first".
Two reasons combine for that change...

1. Your comments stress not only that you don't want any magic (MI), but also that you probably will have enough healing for a while (Cleric AND Druid so Healer can wait or never be taken depending on how harsh adventure becomes later) and Martial Adept feels too little to me when taken before having the related archetype (here BM). Basically these new informations make any feat "good but dispensable", except Mobile (because it's basically 1/3 Dash and auto-avoid OA from main target) but you didn't seem that interested in it.

2. Your two primary roles are skills and damage, in that regard, while you certainly can go dual-wield to get a bonus action attack, nothing will beat having 2 chances to land Sneak Attack with your sole action (Extra Attack) while freeing your Cunning Action (making you better at positioning and avoiding damage).

So unless you want Mobile, which is the only feat justifying grabbing it immediately, indeed better get that Extra Attack as soon as possible. :)

mephnick
2017-10-09, 05:12 AM
I'm a Variant Human with Mobile as my racial feat so I'm right there with you ;) . But yeah, at this point I don't care about any feats or ASIs so delaying them is no real problem for me.

Citan
2017-10-09, 06:46 AM
I'm a Variant Human with Mobile as my racial feat so I'm right there with you ;) . But yeah, at this point I don't care about any feats or ASIs so delaying them is no real problem for me.
Ooops. Ahem. Will teach me to breeze through OP instead of reading every line as usual. Shame on me. xd

Well then carry on, and embrace Fighter ^^ :=)