PDA

View Full Version : Half-elf Half Dragon breeding questions

schreier
2017-10-08, 12:59 PM
Somewhat theoretical, somewhat targeted question:

If a half-elf and a dragon have a child -- is it a half-elf with a half-dragon template? I know I've read that a half-elf and elf breed to another half-elf, while a half-elf and human breed to human ... but here, it only makes sense to me ...

Similarly --

If a half-elf half-dragon breeds with a dragon ... do you get a straight dragon, or another half-elf half-dragon? Would it matter if the half-dragon side is the same or different than the full dragon?

i.e.

Half-Elf (Half Dragon (Silver)) breeds with a silver dragon -- is that a straight silver dragon? Or another half-elf (half dragon (silver))? I lean towards that straight silver dragon (3/4 > half), but wanted to see what people thought

What if the dragon was different -- for example:
Half-Elf (Half Dragon (Gold)) breeds with a silver dragon -- is that a half elf (half dragon (gold), half dragon (silver)), a half elf (half dragon (gold)), a silver dragon (half dragon (gold)), or a straight gold dragon?

It is probably (well, certainly) an unnecessarily precise question - but I wonder these things ...

Thank you in advance for indulging my curiousity

Thanks
schreier

Edit -- Dragon (half dragon) is definitely possible but rare: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070216a and http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070401a

Nifft
2017-10-08, 01:00 PM
It's a full-blood Dragon with the Half-Elf template.

Or it's a Faerie Dragon.

Or it's whatever you want, because genetics is magic.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-08, 08:57 PM
Half-Dragon can be applied to a dragon. If a gold dragon and a silver dragon create offspring, they're either a silver dragon with the half-dragon (gold) template, or a gold dragon with the half-dragon (silver) template.

Half-Elf plus Dragon equals a Half-Elf offspring with the Half-Dragon template.

If a Half-Elf Half-Dragon (Silver) breeds with a Silver Dragon, they create another Half-Elf Half-Dragon (Silver) because the bloodline of one parent is not strong enough to create a true dragon offspring.

If a Half-Elf Half-Dragon (Gold) breeds with a Silver Dragon, their child could be one of several possibilities, depending on how much level adjustment and/or CR adjustment you want to use: A Half-Elf with the Draconic Creature template (one generation removed from the gold dragon parent) and the Half-Dragon (Silver) template, or a Half-Elf with both Half-Dragon (Gold) and Half-Dragon (Silver).

As explained in Savage Species, any race or template with Half- in the name does not have any bearing or imply any limitation on what other templates can be applied to the creature. Half-anything is just a name, the name itself is not a game mechanic.

schreier
2017-10-10, 01:32 PM
That all makes sense ... is there any way for a dragon to somehow gain a degree of elven blood for a class? Either through an item, a feat, a class, a spell, etc .... any ideas?

Kobold Esq
2017-10-10, 03:08 PM
I would treat the half dragon breeding similar to the half elf breeding, with the dragon being treated like the elf side. So a dragon + anything = half dragon. Half dragon X + X = X (or at most, maybe a draconic template X).

If a dragon breeds with a half dragon X, the result is a half dragon X with the color determined by the color of the full dragon parent.

schreier
2017-10-10, 03:40 PM
So once you step down from full dragon, there's no future generation that can be a full dragon

Rebel7284
2017-10-10, 03:58 PM
That all makes sense ... is there any way for a dragon to somehow gain a degree of elven blood for a class? Either through an item, a feat, a class, a spell, etc .... any ideas?

What's the class in question? There are some rituals in Savage Species that change your type for around 40,000GP as I recall.

Races of Destiny has Human Heritage feat that can easily be changed to Elven Heritage, (which would be a houserule, but a super simple one.)

Remuko
2017-10-10, 04:03 PM
So once you step down from full dragon, there's no future generation that can be a full dragon

Theres not rules for it but like if a Half Dragon mated with a full dragon and then that child mated with a full dragon I'd give at least a chance that the child was a full dragon (especially if the full dragon was the mother [easier birth and all]).

schreier
2017-10-10, 07:16 PM
What's the class in question? There are some rituals in Savage Species that change your type for around 40,000GP as I recall.

Races of Destiny has Human Heritage feat that can easily be changed to Elven Heritage, (which would be a houserule, but a super simple one.)
Spellsinger

Rebel7284
2017-10-10, 09:32 PM
Spellsinger

At least one human with a trace of elven heritage, Danilo Thann, is known to have mastered the art as well.

Race: Spellsingers must have at least some small amount of elven heritage, defined as at least one-eighth elven blood.

So based on the example of Danilo Thann, after three generations, it's possible to count as a completely different race for the purpose of game rules but still have enough elven blood to qualify. Your race just needs to be able to breed with elves, which dragons clearly can. It also does make sense that after a few generations of a half dragon breeding with full dragons, the resulting offspring would be a full dragon.

There are no specific rules that cover this corner case, but I think the logic to allow it is sound.

atemu1234
2017-10-10, 11:11 PM
So based on the example of Danilo Thann, after three generations, it's possible to count as a completely different race for the purpose of game rules but still have enough elven blood to qualify. Your race just needs to be able to breed with elves, which dragons clearly can. It also does make sense that after a few generations of a half dragon breeding with full dragons, the resulting offspring would be a full dragon.

There are no specific rules that cover this corner case, but I think the logic to allow it is sound.

This is D&D, the logic is never sound.

Also, this thread reminds me of something very important to me.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/oots/images/d/d2/Snail.png/revision/latest?cb=20110822112321