PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help deciding on a new build!

Galacktic
2017-10-08, 01:53 PM
Hi there! So, out of listlessness, I'm retiring my current character in a Pathfinder game that I'm in and would like assistance coming up with a new character concept/build to play with.

But!

I want to try something I haven't done before, which is proving rather difficult! All Pathfinder, Dreamscarred Press, and Spheres of Power/Might are on the table, with other third party options on a consideration basis and homebrew generally rejected.

I've played Path of War to death (I even have a Rajah waiting for an upcoming Kingmaker game) and this character was an Investigator Stalker into a Mage Hunter. I've generally played gishes to death as well, and I had an Incantatrix followed by a Dread Necromancer in a 3.5 game I was in until recently.

So, what classes are there to play with that I haven't touched? Our game is set in the Forgotten Realms, Waterdeep specifically, and we're currently level 6.

Things I've done but don't want to do again at the moment:

Gishes
Initiators
Oracles
Druids
Minionmancers
Soulknives
Wizards
Healers in general (Vitalist, Rajah, etc.)

I'd be open to hearing about initiators, at least.

Oh, and as this is rather important, our party composition: A Psiforged (I think that's the name? The prestige class that combines Soulknife and Aegis) who rockets into the frontline with a giant two handed weapon, and a Crimson Count Harbinger who uses the Alteration sphere to be a dervish of death of a werewolf.

I'm interested in the Kineticist if anyone can point me a way to understand it more clearly and play it to be stronger with the current group, and I've got a bit of a passing interest in Spheres of Might/Power, but whenever I start to talent things up I hit a roadblock.

Anyone care to help me out? If it matters, we're using a 25 point buy, and generally monstrous humanoids are generally out.

E: Important: I'd like to be able to have a breadth of options every turn, to keep combat interesting to me, and I'd like for the build to come online pretty much immediately for the level we're at. I'd be okay with waiting for a level or two, but that'd be the limit. No 3.5 stuff either.

E2: Another thing is that while a straight Cleric or Sorcerer would probably be the best to support the party, I'm not quite feeling either. I want something that does something unique, which is why I was looking at Kineticist.

Psyren
2017-10-08, 03:34 PM
1) If Spheres of Power is in play you have literally no reason to be a Kineticist; go Elementalist instead.

2) Sounds like your group could use a full caster, any desire in that direction?

3) The class that combines Aegis + Soulknife is the Metaforge.

Galacktic
2017-10-08, 03:55 PM
I've been idly looking at full casters - I do want to play one - it's just a matter of one catching my interest. I just got done playing two (a metamagic focused Incantatrix - focused on blasting to not overshadow the rest of the group and a straight Dread Necromancer) but that's 3.5, so I could very well find something different.

Primarily, I want to be able to do something different in almost every combat round, and still be efficient. Incanter would honestly be a pretty good way of going about this with their raw number of talents, as would a well prepared Wizard/Cleric or Arcanist. I'm okay with builds being mildly inefficient so long as they're still fun - this is about a low-mid OP group (the Harbinger is far better at optimizing than the Metaforge) but mostly what they have is damage.

I have no real interest in playing another Wizard at the moment, but I could probably find something interesting about another full caster of some sort. Any recommendations of what kind?

E: Thinking about it, Incanter and Fey Adept are at the top of my list, and then a Cleric - but Cleric would depend entirely on the god, and I'm not super familiar with the Forgotten Realms deities.

zlefin
2017-10-08, 04:34 PM
Looking at party and what you haven't played, I'd say a skillmonkey with some casting in a support capacity would be good. Like a Bard or something.
I'm not sure which, if any of the SoP classes and spheres work for skillmonkeying.

bahamut920
2017-10-08, 06:06 PM
How about playing a Tactician? Full casting (manifesting, actually) with a focus on party support through a telepathic network called a collective. You have martial weapon proficiency and a medium BAB, so you can mix it up in melee if you need to, but your real focus is on buffing. There are also archetypes and feats to add enemies to your collective unwillingly and then debuff/control them, as well.

Or maybe play a PsyWar who goes into the Adaptive Warrior PrC, and mimic your enemies to death?

If you've ever played a 3.5 warlock or dragonfire adept, you at least understand the basics of playing a kineticist. Kineticist adds another mechanic - burn management - onto the warlock frame, but overall, it isn't too different.

Galacktic
2017-10-08, 07:37 PM
So, I've at least narrowed my choices down a bit!

Right now, I've got it between:

Incanter
Fey Adept
Psychic Warrior (Pathwalker archetype)
Tactician (though it heavily reminds me of Vitalist, which is a slight knock against it!)
Bard

Right now, I don't quite have a clear winner, honestly. Psychic Warrior is the most surprising thing to be on the list, but getting 1-6 Manifesting -and- Maneuver progression is quite nice, and I've never played with Psionics beyond my foray with my Vitalist.

Galacktic
2017-10-09, 01:12 PM
I ended up talking to my group and they pointed out an archetype for Soulknife I had missed! While that was on my list of things I didn't wanna do again, the Living Legend is far too neat to -not- use and it's varied enough day to day that I think I'd have a lot of fun with it. Thanks everyone! A Fey Adept is still waiting in the wings, too. :smallredface:

Aipaca
2017-10-09, 06:20 PM
A mix of spheres, full casters and skill monkeys I give you my Sphere Arcane Trickster build out to level 8. Swap around/swap out the talents as you see fit, and maybe throw Canny Scoundrel from Spheres of Might onto the Rogue level, I recommend the free-runner martial tradition as you shouldn't need the proficiencies.

Ratfolk (Canny Scoundrel?) Unchained Rogue 1/Incanter 3/Acane Trickster 4

8, 16, 12, 20, 10, 13

Feats:
1: Precise Shot (Sub in PBS if not using feat tax rules, take precise shot later)
3: Accomplished Sneak Attacker
5: Extra Magical Talent
7: Extra Magical Talent
Talents:
2: Telekinesis, Destruction (Focus Blast Type of your choice), Illusion: Invisibility
3: Mind
4: Telekinesis: Finesse, Flair
5: Telekinesis: Steal, Call to Hand
6: Telekinesis: Telekinetic Tools
7: Illusion: Illusory Sound, Lingering Illusion
8: Mind: Powerful Charm, Paralyze
Class Features:
Rogue:
Finesse Training
Sneak Attack +1d6 (Total +4d6)
Trapfinding
Incanter: