PDA

View Full Version : Who Was Your Nicest Player Character That You Ever Play In A RPG Game?

Bartmanhomer
2017-10-08, 04:13 PM
All of us have play nice characters. (Characters that treat other PC and NPC well. Very easy to get along with. Very respectful characters to have in your team.) Who was your nicest character that you play in an RPG and tell me your experience with that character. Ok go! :smile:

Avonar
2017-10-08, 05:15 PM
I played a Goliath Cleric in service to Lliira, goddess of joy. He wanted nothing more than to make everyone else happy. If that involved taking a mace to the giant spider that was making them sad, so be it.

He was refreshingly fun. Giving out money to unlucky NPCs, always happy to help. Other characters didn't like him which made it even the better.

JBPuffin
2017-10-08, 06:56 PM
Current character Vishal Nemshara probably takes the cake. I try to play the diplomatic type - RPG habits die hard - but surrounded by dudes who want to do nothing but cut everything vaguely hostile into cubes, he worked out a diplomatic solution with a necromancer whose apprentice we’d just killed. When he’s not doing that, he’s intentionally overpaying, passing off old equipment, and overall just giving off good vibes.

Vrock_Summoner
2017-10-08, 07:17 PM
It was one of my players, not me, but still, Aurora was genuinely one of the nicest superheroes I've ever seen, and definitely kinder in general than the rest of the party. She was a human psychic with power rivaling the the creators of the universe, and used it to help fight the extradimensional abominations and more mundane supervillain schemes alike that plagued the world. Except throughout the campaign, she managed to convert almost a third of the extradimensional abominations that terrorized the planet throughout the entire campaign into docile or even benevolent forces for humanity purely through displays of excessive kindness, along with juggling disputes in the party, working out several large-scale conflicts peacefully, and always giving unknown quantities the benefit of the doubt. Hell, she's the one who brought the party together to begin with when they started at each other's throats! It got to the point where the party so narrowly defeated an enemy, and were so afraid of its mental manipulation powers, that Aurora demanding to spare it actually triggered the group briefly splitting apart, with all but one of the extradimensional superbeings escaping with Aurora and one of the other party members and a few outside elements replacing them on the core team for a few sessions. She then solved that rift by taking a fatal blow for the party member who felt most betrayed by her actions and had previously tried to kill her, resulting in a scene with a lot of crying and confessions and culminating in a Steven Universe-esque character fusion. Freaking loved that campaign from start to finish, and Aurora's unending purity and what it inspired was honestly responsible for at least 40% of the total enjoyment of that campaign.

Sajiri
2017-10-08, 07:18 PM
I would say my Witch Ruya. She's against killing, and would always rather talk a problem out rather than fight. She can be manipulative but its never malicious. Unfortunately she's surrounded by characters that greatly enjoy fighting and they are having a bit of an effect on her, making her a little bit 'harder'.

Novia is also pretty nice, but we are only a few sessions into that game and I know she will become a bit less nice as it goes on. Right now she's a novice with no real-world experience so she's a bit naive about trusting and helping people. Its already backfired once when falling for a prisoner's tale of wrongful imprisonment, giving him a means to escape, only to have him rob her and her mentor's airship.

Astofel
2017-10-08, 07:41 PM
I made a drow paladin for a short-lived 5e game named Telamon the Redeemer. At the beginning of the game he was 677 years old, the veteran of a war that took place 500-ish years ago that laid waste to the continent, and in the modern day was something of a living legend. He presented the image of a kindly old man who only wanted to see you achieve your full (good) potential and to help you get there. He was known for being the best friend and right-hand man of one of the generals of the war, who later ascended to godhood, and also for miraculously surviving being at ground zero of the arcane nuke that ultimately ended the war.

What no-one other than himself and the general knew was that he arranged for the arcane nuke to happen in order to end the war. He knew he was damning himself in the process, and thought he would die, but somehow survived. The newly-ascended general decided to offer him a chance at redemption, by tasking him to save others from their own evil, from dastardly villains to petty thieves. He proceeded to spend the next 500 years doing just that, which is how he earned the moniker of Redeemer. He doesn't really think that doing this will redeem him, he does it because he thinks it's the right thing to do. Of course, everyone else just thinks he's doing this because he's a really swell dude who doesn't want such a horrific war to happen again, which is the truth, just not all of it.

Cluedrew
2017-10-08, 08:03 PM
I like the sound of all of these people.

Mine might be my warforaged. We weren't playing in Ebberon so there are vague bits in his back story because I never got around to asking the GM how the creation forages fit into that setting. There were far off at the very least. Anyways, vaguely it was born right before the forages shut down and the war stopped. So despite being a warforaged, it knew nothing of war. Or even really the concept of violence.

So it had the general attitude of a happy go lucky 8 year old, cheerfully helping people out with item crafting and calling the party members squishies and poking them in the cheek. And being a warforaged (and mechanically, having sufficient HP) would respond to an axe to the face with "what was that for?"

tensai_oni
2017-10-09, 06:37 AM
My nicest character was also the weirdest character I got to play.

A living embodiement of empathy and kindness to a ridiculous degree, they were respectful of everyone, and literally loved everyone. But here's the thing - that love was on an impersonal level, love of all of humanity if you will. It was all heavily inspired by the philosophical Mohist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohism) idea of impartial caring. So if you were a murderer or other horrible person whose existence only spread suffering, and was unwilling to change that? They'd just shoot you dead, apologetically but without any hesitation. It also means that while kind to others, the character was very guarded and not willing to get intimately close to anyone. One time it actually happened, it ended horribly for everyone involved.

It was a great challenge to portray well and I'm not sure if I always succeeded, but an effort was made.

Seto
2017-10-09, 06:47 AM
It was a character in a FATE session set in the Pokemon universe. He had tragic but rewarding character development.

He loved his Pokemon, and was generally kind and trusting of people. His trouble aspect (for those who don't play FATE: the thing that's supposed to put your character in difficult situations) was "Only sees good in others". Trainer specializing in Grass-types. Very chill guy, always thought of nice gestures to reassure others. For example, when he went to find Bill who'd gone missing, he left his Oddish with the panicked mother to keep her company.
But one day, he fought against Team Rocket in the Dark Cave. Scrambling to escape, he had his Exeggutor use Explosion to cover his retreat. He was later horrified to discover that he had caused a cave-in resulting in the death of two Rocket Grunts and one Pokemon (Houndour). He tried to make amends as best he could, but his trouble aspect changed to "Haunted by what he's done."

Quertus
2017-10-09, 08:15 AM
Hmmm... I'm not sure if it exactly matches what this thread was going for, but I will submit Balteus Battlerager.

As a dwarven berserker, Balteus knew just how important it was to keep his cool. He would always approach any situation diplomatically, with open arms. Mind you, he spent most of his adventuring career in Ravenloft. Yet, despite the irredeemable nature of most of its denizens, he never lost his unfailing determination to greet even the most horrific monstrosities with open arms and the willingness to help them on a path of light.

As a beggar, Balteus understood the importance of generosity. While the party cleric would dutifully tithe to the local church, Balteus Battlerager would keep a few coins for himself, then donate the remainder of his share of our haul to local charities.

kamikasei
2017-10-09, 09:38 AM
My nicest character was probably one I played in a large freeform RP. She was a transforming/henshin hero (i.e. could summon power armour), and when the game began she was recovering from a long period of incapacitation that meant she could only use her powers sparingly, and was physically weak and emotionally vulnerable. She was carrying a bunch of survivor's guilt, self-loathing, and self-esteem issues, so she sought out ways to contribute outside of combat and make herself useful to others to offset that, and to keep from retreating into depression. As a result she ended up one of the more socially connected people in the game, helping to welcome new characters and acclimate them to the setting, providing emotional support to others as a way to manage her own issues, and generally trying to be considerate and optimistic for the sake of her own mental health. Playing her was almost therapeutic, as it required me to deliberately adopt a more positive mindset than comes naturally to me, and err on the side of empathy and thoughtfulness.

It made for dramatic contrast on those occasions where she was completely hostile and unforgiving to some people, such as the villain who was the reason for her survivor's guilt in the first place, or the leader of a faction that had been in a nasty war with hers but was now hanging around for political reasons. And an entertaining contrast given that she was a human-sized combatant in a game full of giant robots tens of meters tall, so her tactics in combat needed to be very efficient to the point of looking quite brutal and vicious on occasion.

Berenger
2017-10-09, 12:06 PM
Neutral evil half-elven assassin cleric. Tried very hard to appear as a stereotypical chaotic good half-elven rogue-with-a-heart-of-gold.

Vrock_Summoner
2017-10-09, 04:54 PM
Neutral evil half-elven assassin cleric. Tried very hard to appear as a stereotypical chaotic good half-elven rogue-with-a-heart-of-gold.
One of my players did the equivalent of this in my Evangelion campaign, and as a GM, man did it hurt to bite my lip and watch him become best friends with everyone while knowing he was eventually going to hurt them when the time came.