PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Feral weretiger boss build?

Matrota
2017-10-08, 05:26 PM
So I'm trying to set up a recurring miniboss figure for my campaign, a deranged weretiger who serves an evil warlord out of pure terror. The party is about 14th level and gestalted. The campaign is plotted to go into epic levels. The party damage is incredibly high, with a psion/gunslinger(pathfinder), greater vampire/cleric (vampire levels woohoo), samurai/rogue with sneak attack and iaijutsu optimized, and samurai/shaman (this is the only one that isn't optimized at all). The samurai/rogue also has a 12th level bard cohort.

I'm trying to make this weretiger a boss that can show them his strength and survive their onslaught even with the action economy. It's a daunting task, especially with how he's like the miniboss before a normal boss, leading into a fight with the second of the seven major bossfights in the campaign. Any advice on how I should build him? I'm fine making him a little epic, it would make sense to be completely honest. This campaign is 3.5e with all canon resources and dragonmags available, PF is allowed on a case-by-case basis, but that's decided by myself after all, as I'm the DM.

afroakuma
2017-10-08, 05:50 PM
Solo entities as bosses are a hard sell in 3.5, especially at this level. Ideally you want him to bring forth a swarm of lesser foes and then back off. If you're willing to cheat to make him work, you could just say he's got nine lives or what have you, so they can keep overcoming his minions and killing him but he keeps coming back.

If you want to make a boss or miniboss who can deal with the action economy, a legitimate build is probably your enemy, unless you're planning to make him a powerful caster using guerilla tactics to snipe down the party one by one without ever being in open combat with them. Since that sounds like exactly the opposite of the role you want for him... yeah, I'd just cheat.

Nifft
2017-10-08, 06:36 PM
Weretigers have Tiger Empathy, so this boss ought to have a few tiger mooks around to help with action economics.

Throw in some cute little tiger kittens with those April 1st cat feats and it'll be memorable.

"What do you mean the kitten flops are a [Mind-Affecting] effect?!?!"

PrismCat21
2017-10-09, 09:55 PM
How about a type of Rakahasa instead? Or with a couple Rakshasa minions, to help even out the action economy and dog piling? Rakshasa's riding Awakened Tigers (Dire?) Into battle!!
I also fully support the April 1st cat feats :D

Matrota
2017-10-10, 03:31 AM
How about a type of Rakahasa instead? Or with a couple Rakshasa minions, to help even out the action economy and dog piling? Rakshasa's riding Awakened Tigers (Dire?) Into battle!!
I also fully support the April 1st cat feats :D

It's locked into weretiger as this is the "Villain" figure that infected one of the core NPC's of the campaign with lycanthropy and killed his lover. I suppose minions may be the only way to do it, even if it's somewhat annoying. Action economy is just so strong.

ShurikVch
2017-10-10, 07:15 AM
Questions:
"Weretiger" is a template. What's the base creature?
Do you mean "Feral" as Feral Creature from Savage Species, Feral Animal Companion from Champions of Ruin, or in some other sense?
What's the supposed CR range? How much of "epic" is OK?
Wouldn't be availability of Shadow Walk or Teleport as SLA be enough to insure the "recurrence"?

Thurbane
2017-10-10, 05:13 PM
Without knowing more of the build, I'm going to recommend Swordsage/Bloodclaw Master right off the bat.

If he needs casting support, give him a Rakshasa henchman (epending on the CR range).

Matrota
2017-10-10, 06:33 PM
Questions:
"Weretiger" is a template. What's the base creature?
Do you mean "Feral" as Feral Creature from Savage Species, Feral Animal Companion from Champions of Ruin, or in some other sense?
What's the supposed CR range? How much of "epic" is OK?
Wouldn't be availability of Shadow Walk or Teleport as SLA be enough to insure the "recurrence"?

My bad for not specifying. Base creature is a human. I meant feral in the sense that I want his fighting style to be noticably savage and viscious, but the template isn't a bad one that's for sure. CR should probably be in the ranges of 22-26, as should ECL. Teleport could work but I just worry about him not being able to activate whatever gives him that before he dies. Our psion gunslinger is quite the fan of trace teleport as well.

Thurbane
2017-10-10, 06:40 PM
My bad for not specifying. Base creature is a human. I meant feral in the sense that I want his fighting style to be noticably savage and viscious, but the template isn't a bad one that's for sure. CR should probably be in the ranges of 22-26, as should ECL. Teleport could work but I just worry about him not being able to activate whatever gives him that before he dies. Our psion gunslinger is quite the fan of trace teleport as well.

Ah...missed that this was PF. Do you port over ToB stuff?

Captn_Flounder
2017-10-10, 06:58 PM
As for him not being able to activate his teleport, could one of his more magically inclined henchmen give him Contingency: Resilient Sphere and it procs when his hp gets too low? Then he can teleport away at his convenience.

Or give him "9 Lives" because he is technically a cat, but that's kinda cheesy.

ShurikVch
2017-10-10, 07:27 PM
Found this piece in Bogeyman template (D20 Modern SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd)):
Death’s Door (Su): A bogeyman appears to die if reduced to –10 hit points. However, unless it is reduced to its negative Constitution score in hit points, its “death” is only temporary; when the bogeyman’s fast healing ability (see below) brings its hit point total to 1 or higher, it springs back to life.(The template is there (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msrd/MenaceCreaturesA-I.rtf).)
So, how about this?

atemu1234
2017-10-10, 11:05 PM
I recommend Swordsage, probably human as the base race for simplicity reasons (silver-blooded because a cat being able to cast feather fall as an sla is funny, i guess?).

Matrota
2017-10-11, 01:36 AM
Ah...missed that this was PF. Do you port over ToB stuff?

It's more like 3.pf. Pathfinder content is approved on a case-by-case basis. Gunslinger just so happens to be one such approval.