PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pirate character.

Athear
2017-10-08, 07:07 PM
So I'm trying to make a sixth level Pirate character for an eberron campaign. I am looking at a rogue due to the higher level of skills. though I have also looked at swashbuckler though It seems worse.
My ability scores are STR 14, DEX 24, CON 14, INT 18, WIS 11, CHA 20, adjusted for race (catfolk)
My issue as usual is feats: I'm looking to make the most out of sneak attack or maybe utilize more out of Intimidate if possable as I will probably be taking Scarlet corsair as a PRC.

bahamut920
2017-10-08, 07:52 PM
3.5 swashbuckler is objectively worse than rogue as a 20-level investment, but you have the Int to make a 3-level dip work for you. Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue +2 would give you 2d6 sneak attack, evasion, free Weapon Finesse, Int to damage with finesseable weapons (in addition to Str), and +4/+2/+4 base saves, in addition to a +1 competence bonus to Reflex. You'd only get the swashbuckler's 4 + Int to skill points for three levels, but the swashie's list includes a lot of social skills, as well as Tumble, Swim, Use Rope, and Profession (for Prof: Sailor), so you're not losing too many pirate-themed skills.

A one-level dip in swordsage (or Martial Study/Martial Stance to get Assassin's Stance to make up for the 2d6 sneak attack you lose going swashbuckler for 3 levels) nets you the ability to take the Shadow Blade feat, which gives Dex to damage (again, in addition to Str) while in a Shadow Hand stance and wielding one of the Shadow Hand favored weapons (shortswords and daggers fit the pirate theme).

Craven makes your sneak attacks deal 1 more damage per character level in exchange for a -2 penalty on saves against [Fear] effects. If you ever gain complete immunity to fear, though, you lose the benefits of the feat, IIRC. I think there's also a feat that makes your sneak attack dice d8's, although I might be thinking about 4e there.

For Intimidate optimization, you'll need to look up a handbook, but the basics are the Imperious Command feat, the Never Outnumbered skill trick, and the fearsome armor enhancement. You should be able to Intimidate groups as a move action with that combination.

Nifft
2017-10-08, 08:07 PM
So I'm trying to make a sixth level Pirate character for an eberron campaign. I am looking at a rogue due to the higher level of skills. though I have also looked at swashbuckler though It seems worse.
My ability scores are STR 14, DEX 24, CON 14, INT 18, WIS 11, CHA 20, adjusted for race (catfolk)
My issue as usual is feats: I'm looking to make the most out of sneak attack or maybe utilize more out of Intimidate if possable as I will probably be taking Scarlet corsair as a PRC.

Rogue / Swashbuckler with the Daring Outlaw feat has full Sneak Attack progression.

With that feat, Swashbuckler can be viable.

bahamut920
2017-10-08, 08:12 PM
I'd still only take the three levels necessary to get Insightful Strike. Rogues get more skill points, better skills, and eventually the rogue special abilities.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-08, 08:15 PM
Consider replacing Rogue with Thug Fighter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug), with Sneak Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) instead of bonus feats. This way you can use the Zhentarim Soldier (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) substitution levels (reflavored) and be sure to get the free Dead Levels (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) class features.

Get armor with the Fearsome property in Drow of the Underdark, which allows you to use intimidate to demoralize a foe as a move action. This was printed more recently than Magic Item Compendium and thus it's the most current version of that item. Also take the feat Imperious Command in that same book, and get the Never Outnumbered skill trick in Complete Scoundrel.

Consider getting the Sudden Stunning property on your weapon, from DMGII.

Definitely take Weapon Finesse and Two-Weapon Fighting. Get Gloves of the Balanced Hand in MIC, preferably with an Enhancement bonus to Dex added per MIC p234.

I'd start out Sneak Attack Thug 5/ Scarlet Corsair 1, after Scarlet Corsair 5 start taking more Fighter levels until you get the 9th level of that for swift action intimidate checks. That way you can demoralize everyone with a swift action, try again using a move action thanks to the fearsome armor, and still be able to make an attack on the same round. With Imperious Command everyone affected by your intimidate check will cower for one round, then be shaken on the following round. If you affect a creature in consecutive rounds, that shaken condition scales up to frightened and then to panicked with each successive intimidate check, and the escalated condition persists until every effect that contributed to the condition has ended.

Athear
2017-10-09, 01:46 AM
So I ended up taking Weapon profienincy firearms Daring out law and Intimidating strike.
though my DM may rule that fire arms are out in that case I Would have to change that out.
I don't really know if Two weapon fighting is the way to go for a rogue considering how feat intensive it is.
though I also don't really 100% know where I'm going with this character.

Fizban
2017-10-09, 02:18 AM
If you don't want to deal with triggering sneak attack, consider Scout or Urban (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) Scout. Still only works on crittable stuff, but I find the usual feinting or desprately searing for flanking buddies rather inimical to a swashbuckler, who should not be penalized for moving (giving up a feint) or forced to move based on someone else's choice (to flank), or rely on smokebombs and invisbility and hiding around corners.

For normal skirmish, Two-Weapon Pounce (or another pounce of your choice) enables multiple hits just fine, and the Improved Skirmish feat gets you another 2d6, for +4d6/+3 AC at 6th. You have to wait for 9th to get TWP, unless you can get your DM to put it on the Scout bonus feat list for 8th. Or you mix in a couple Fighter levels for bonus feats.

For Riposte, you can't have Improved Skirmish, but you don't have to jump through movement hoops either: anyone who swings or shoots at you is fair game to be hit with a standing full attack of bonus damage, melee or (30') ranged, even if they miss (and you should make them miss). This strikes me as far more swashbuklery than spamming feints or always fighting 2 on 1. Instead you're good at fighting people who fight you, and bad at fighting people who are running away.

But then, if you specifically want Scarlet Corsair to be a murderous pirate, not so much.

Telonius
2017-10-09, 11:01 AM
::dusts off old character:: Here's one I built a while ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=5079159&postcount=1121). Make that, near the dawn of time. Anyway, it was built with a Halfling in mind, but it has the same Int score as you, so the skills should work. Anyway, I'd swap out Freerunner for Craven, and Improved TWF for Staggering Strike or Sickening Strike if I were putting this together again today. Also move some of the more flavorful pirate-y skills into something more generally useful like UMD.

Halfling

Starting Stats:
Str (12-2) 10
Dex (12+2) 14
Con 10
Int 18
Wis 10
Cha 12

Rogue1 Quick Draw (1st level feat), Sneak 1d6
Jump 4, Balance 4, Bluff 4, Intimidate 4, Profession (Sailor) 4, Tumble 4, Sleight of Hand 4, Appraise 4, Use Rope 4, Swim 4

Rogue1/Swashbuckler(CWar) 1 Weapon Finesse, Extreme Leap skill trick (from skills)
Balance 5, Bluff 5, Jump 5, Tumble 5, Profession (Sailor) 5, Intimidate 5, Extreme Leap Skill trick (CSco)

Rog2/Sws1 Evasion (Rogue), Tumbling Crawl Skill Trick (from skills), Freerunner (CSco) (3rd Level Feat) = Nimble Charge skill trick
Tumbling Crawl skill trick, Appraise 6, Profession 6, Intimidate 6

Rog2/Sws2 Grace +1, +1 Dex
Profession 7

Rog3/Sws2 Sneak 2d6, Hidden Blade skill trick
Profession 8, Bluff 8, Intimidate 8, Appraise 8, Hidden Blade skill trick

Rog3/Sws3 Insightful Strike (Sws), Daring Outlaw (6th level feat) = +3d6 sneak, +1 Dodge to AC
Rog4/Sws3 Uncanny Dodge, Sneak +4d6
Rog4/Sws3/Dread Pirate(CAdv)1 Two-Weapon Fighting, +1 Dex
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/Scarlet Corsair(Stormwrack)1 Improved Feint (Corsair), Improved TWF (9th level feat)
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/ScC2 Sneak +5d6
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/ScC3 Corsair's Feint

Key Equipment: +1 Keen rapier, +1 Keen kukri, +2 Mithral chain, Gloves of Dex +4, Three-Cornered Hat, Spyglass, Parrot

So, at 11th level, that will amount to:
Hidden Blade, Quick Draw, and Corsair's Feint will help the character get as many sneak attacks as possible. Nimble Charge and Extreme Leap will help the character navigate a pitching ship, or a barroom brawl. Relatively high (for a Rogue-ish combatant) attack bonuses help him connect. Insightful Strike puts his intelligence to use. The biggest catch I'm seeing is that for the build to work, he needs access to a ship.

SirNibbles
2017-10-09, 11:32 AM
Depending on what books are available, Rogue 1/Martial Chaos Monk 2/Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Swashbuckler 2 may work out for you.

Monk levels allow you to benefit from a Sparring Dummy of the Master (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 137) to get 10 foot steps, plus usual Monk stuff like Invisible Fist, Martial Feats, Speed Bonus, and AC Bonus.

You can pick up Daring Outlaw (Complete Scoundrel, page 76) at 6th level to have your Rogue and Swashbuckler stack for Sneak Attack, Grace, and Dodge progression.

Honestly, Daring Outlaw Swashbuckler is probably better than Scarlet Corsair, but some people may disagree.

Athear
2017-10-11, 12:09 AM
::dusts off old character:: Here's one I built a while ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=5079159&postcount=1121). Make that, near the dawn of time. Anyway, it was built with a Halfling in mind, but it has the same Int score as you, so the skills should work. Anyway, I'd swap out Freerunner for Craven, and Improved TWF for Staggering Strike or Sickening Strike if I were putting this together again today. Also move some of the more flavorful pirate-y skills into something more generally useful like UMD.

Halfling

Starting Stats:
Str (12-2) 10
Dex (12+2) 14
Con 10
Int 18
Wis 10
Cha 12

Rogue1 Quick Draw (1st level feat), Sneak 1d6
Jump 4, Balance 4, Bluff 4, Intimidate 4, Profession (Sailor) 4, Tumble 4, Sleight of Hand 4, Appraise 4, Use Rope 4, Swim 4

Rogue1/Swashbuckler(CWar) 1 Weapon Finesse, Extreme Leap skill trick (from skills)
Balance 5, Bluff 5, Jump 5, Tumble 5, Profession (Sailor) 5, Intimidate 5, Extreme Leap Skill trick (CSco)

Rog2/Sws1 Evasion (Rogue), Tumbling Crawl Skill Trick (from skills), Freerunner (CSco) (3rd Level Feat) = Nimble Charge skill trick
Tumbling Crawl skill trick, Appraise 6, Profession 6, Intimidate 6

Rog2/Sws2 Grace +1, +1 Dex
Profession 7

Rog3/Sws2 Sneak 2d6, Hidden Blade skill trick
Profession 8, Bluff 8, Intimidate 8, Appraise 8, Hidden Blade skill trick

Rog3/Sws3 Insightful Strike (Sws), Daring Outlaw (6th level feat) = +3d6 sneak, +1 Dodge to AC
Rog4/Sws3 Uncanny Dodge, Sneak +4d6
Rog4/Sws3/Dread Pirate(CAdv)1 Two-Weapon Fighting, +1 Dex
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/Scarlet Corsair(Stormwrack)1 Improved Feint (Corsair), Improved TWF (9th level feat)
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/ScC2 Sneak +5d6
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/ScC3 Corsair's Feint

Key Equipment: +1 Keen rapier, +1 Keen kukri, +2 Mithral chain, Gloves of Dex +4, Three-Cornered Hat, Spyglass, Parrot

So, at 11th level, that will amount to:
Hidden Blade, Quick Draw, and Corsair's Feint will help the character get as many sneak attacks as possible. Nimble Charge and Extreme Leap will help the character navigate a pitching ship, or a barroom brawl. Relatively high (for a Rogue-ish combatant) attack bonuses help him connect. Insightful Strike puts his intelligence to use. The biggest catch I'm seeing is that for the build to work, he needs access to a ship.

still not fully sold on Two weapon fighting and I haven't heard back from my DM on weather of not he would let me use guns also I was thinking of going Intimidating strike and Imperious command to guarantee Sneak attacks. as a cowering foe loses dex so it seems to be worth wile for two feats.