PDA

View Full Version : All right you guys win....

rollfrenzy
2007-08-15, 11:12 AM
So, Mistaken Identity Week, has got me all messed up. I didn't realise how much I came to rely on peoples avatars to know who they are till that got taken away.

<stands and begins a "slow clap">

Bravo and well done...

this messing with anybody elses head? especially those of you participating, Is your own creation making you go mad??

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-15, 11:27 AM
Hasn't bothered me, I'm good at keeping my names straight.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 11:38 AM
go to the related thread and you will see that many of us are confused too!
But it's so funny! we are all disguised, people send pms to us thinking we are s.o. else etc.
If you're representing s.o. of different gender (like i am), ppl misunderstand you (a guy talking like a girl / girl talking like a guy).
We just hope that whoever is represeting us doesn't make us loko like fools to the forum. :smallamused:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 11:39 AM
^ Sorry for my spelling i'm just too tired

rollfrenzy
2007-08-15, 11:40 AM
I usually am too, but I guess I gloss over the anmes in lieu of avatars when on the forum.

I also have a tendency to scan for post from people I like, alot of whom are participating in "mess up rollfrenzy by changing everything around" week.

Pyrian
2007-08-15, 12:13 PM
I have Avatars and sigs turned off. I don't even notice. :smallcool:

Ego Slayer
2007-08-15, 12:17 PM
At first I thought threads were broken 'cos X's name was shown as last posted, but when you looked at the thread Y's post was there...

I'm extremely dependent on avatar and sig to ID the person... I'm cool now, though. :smallcool:

Carry on with your inanity.

Mr_Saturn
2007-08-15, 12:19 PM
Just find out the person that they switched avatars with. Either that, or wait til the week is over like i'm doing. =P

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-15, 12:20 PM
Heh heh, not noticed much, but Ink who has my avatar may be getting some fun :smallamused:

Ego Slayer
2007-08-15, 12:23 PM
... Is THAT why there's an animated VT still out there... I was all like "what the hell! I thought he changed it... why is it moving again?:smalleek:"

:smalltongue:

And, I just turned avatars and sigs off to see what it's like... Board... So... Clean... o.O'

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 12:23 PM
see? now i'm confused too. I know who has Ink's avatar but I don't know what avatar Ink has=what is your original avatar

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 12:27 PM
And, I just turned avatars and sigs off to see what it's like... Board... So... Clean... o.O'

I did it too..
It's like we're all naked.. :smalleek:
and where did all the fun go?

Vaynor
2007-08-15, 12:38 PM
Please use the handy edit button I'm da Rogue, no need to post twice in a row.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-15, 12:42 PM

Put yer pants avatar back on!:smalltongue:

Trog
2007-08-15, 12:58 PM
Ooooooo Never noticed you could turn signatures off before. Nifty. Now this is more like it. :smallcool:

Missing Shoe
2007-08-15, 02:32 PM
Aww I'm missing the mistaken identity week. I was going to participate but my work place blocks all file storage places so most everyones avatars show up as white squares. :smallfrown: Also blocks WotC, stupid filter.

Luckily I get internet at home next week so I can see all your fancy avi's again.

Gaelbert
2007-08-15, 02:48 PM
I had heard about Mistaken Identity week before it happened, so I only got confused for a little before I realized what was going on. It is a pain, though, because normally I rely at least partially on the avatars.

Midnight Son
2007-08-15, 02:51 PM
Problem is, after three days of this, I'm getting used to the way they are now, so I'm going to be very confused again come Monday.

onasuma
2007-08-15, 03:47 PM
What makes it even more confusing, is that some people, like whoever should have been me, didnt bother to change, so we have duplicates of Avvy's and sigs.

sktarq
2007-08-15, 03:51 PM
Been giggling at the whole thing thinking how it must be messing people up....thankfully I'm name based.

Zar Peter
2007-08-15, 03:59 PM
But I always relate your name with this Rich made 2nd edition thingie avatar.

Pyro
2007-08-15, 04:04 PM
Actually I've started to look at user names more than avatars now. It still gets me every once and a while. (I didn't VT was here at first.) Anyway I bet theres a lesson in there somewhere.

sktarq
2007-08-15, 04:09 PM
But I always relate your name with this Rich made 2nd edition thingie avatar.

Assuming you are talking about me.
A: It's a flumph. It showed up first in the Fiend Folio of 1st Edition and was updated in the 2nd Monsterous compendium on 2e.
B: Does that mean you mix me up with all the other flumphs out there (most of them various pixies)?
C: The idea that I've co-opted a Rich made avater and made it effectivly mine is way to big an ego stroke....So I'm going to pretend it's not happening.

Em Blackleaf
2007-08-15, 04:11 PM
It was confusing me at first, especially with Dr. Bath and Zar Peter, but now, I've got it all figured out. :smallcool:

Zar Peter
2007-08-15, 04:17 PM
Assuming you are talking about me.
A: It's a flumph. It showed up first in the Fiend Folio of 1st Edition and was updated in the 2nd Monsterous compendium on 2e.
B: Does that mean you mix me up with all the other flumphs out there (most of them various pixies)?
C: The idea that I've co-opted a Rich made avater and made it effectivly mine is way to big an ego stroke....So I'm going to pretend it's not happening.

Not many flumphs out there I saw, so mostly it's you (although I don't see you often because I'm in the SMBG mainly).
But if I see the name sktarq than I'm picturing you as a flumph, yes.

@Em: I saw Dr.Bath the first time today. Was a little bit wierd but funny!

Quincunx
2007-08-15, 04:19 PM
Interesting to note that avatars which focus the eyes upwards led to far less confusion, probably because they drew attention to the poster's name. The FFX avatar was one of the first I stopped being surprised to see. On the other hand, pairs of posters which exchanged avatars (instead of a round-robin) led to much more confusion, especially with similar posting styles. Last of all, seeing the various swaps has been not nearly as strenuous as seeing a post with an anime smiley and wondering what in Ezekiel's name I was typing before remembering what week this is. . .

EDIT: Yes, Shadow, yours (what is her name?). I had needed to see more upwards-pointing avatars before figuring out what they had in common, though.

Shadow
2007-08-15, 04:32 PM
What makes it even more confusing, is that some people, like whoever should have been me, didnt bother to change, so we have duplicates of Avvy's and sigs.
Or the fact that 2 different people are using mine.
One of them posted on this page.
It hasn't screwed with me at all except when I see my own avvie around and I think to myself
"When did I post that?"
Oh, yeeeaaaahhh!!"
Interesting to note that avatars which focus the eyes upwards led to far less confusion, probably because they drew attention to the poster's name. The FFX avatar was one of the first I stopped being surprised to see.
You mean mine/Rama Lei's?

Vonriel
2007-08-15, 05:05 PM
*pssst* Rama_Lei is a "he" as well, he just is too busy drooling over his Yuna avatar to actually realize the gender confusion it may create. :smalltongue:

Shadow
2007-08-15, 05:19 PM
*pssst* Rama_Lei is a "he" as well, he just is too busy drooling over his Yuna avatar to actually realize the gender confusion it may create. :smalltongue:

I know.
When did I say otherwise?

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 05:29 PM
Please use the handy edit button I'm da Rogue, no need to post twice in a row.

Somebody missed their Spot check.
I had never seen this button before. :smalleek:

Problem is, after three days of this, I'm getting used to the way they are now, so I'm going to be very confused again come Monday.
same here.

Vonriel
2007-08-15, 05:44 PM
Wasn't talking to you, Shadow. I was talking to Quincunx.

EDIT: Yes, Shadow, yours (what is her name?). I had needed to see more upwards-pointing avatars before figuring out what they had in common, though.

I figured Q thought Rama Lei was female because of the avatar. Sorry for the confusion, shoulda been clearer in my first post.

Pyrian
2007-08-15, 06:09 PM
I did it too..
and where did all the fun go?

What, you can't have fun naked? :smallwink:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 06:30 PM
:belkar: :xykon: :sabine: HELL YEAH!

Marek
2007-08-16, 10:50 AM
Just disabled sigs and avvies, and the board looks so barren... Is this what a nuclear wasteland looks like?

Also, Q may have been referring to the avatar itself...