PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Item - Boots of the Centaur

Malapterus
2017-10-09, 01:30 PM
This is one of those items that I find hard to write up. I want to avoid making it too wordy, but at the same time it does a lot of stuff. Give me some tips on the following write-up, and some help determining a fair price

-----------------------------------

Item: Boots of the Centaur
Slot: Boots
Activation: Constant

The Boots of the Centaur give you the physical prowess of a centaur. For terms of opposed strength checks and carrying capacity, you are treated as being one size larger, and also as having four legs. Your movement speed is increased by 20 feet.

Note: The Boots of the Centaur do not bestow any other size-related effects, such as being able to wield weapons larger than your size.

-----------------------------------

The boots are ideally for a strength-based bruiser of a melee character who is into battlefield control; charging, bull-rushing, disarming, tripping, etcetera.

If these were a Magic Item Compendium item book I'd give it an effect to let you Trample over enemies up to your own size 3/day, which would be fun and useful, but I am not sure if it's needed.

rferries
2017-10-09, 03:33 PM
Interesting! Basically increased carrying capacity, and +20 foot movement.

Assuming a Medium creature (e.g. most PCs), you get: a +4 size bonus on strength checks, carrying capacityx3, and +20 foot movement.

The bonus on strength checks can be considered a +4 bonus on bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, sunder, trip, and resisting improved grab and swallow whole.

The carrying capacity increase works out to roughly the same benefit you get from a +8 increase to your Strength score, which fits nicely with the above +4 modifiers (rather than a "circlet of persuasion" equivalent for Strength checks).

I'd rule the above effects as an enhancement item of Strength +8 which would normally be epic, but since they don't apply to attacks and damage let's calculate it as follows:

(+8)2 * 1,000 gp *1.25 (ad hoc for size rather than enhancement bonus) /2 (no attack/damage bonus) = 40,000 gp

The +20 foot movement is better than the increase from longstrider, the standard long-lasting movement increase effect.... calculating as for a continuous magic item:

(spell level = 1st) * (caster level = 1st) * 2,000 gp ^2 (since double movement speed bonus) = 4,000 gp... probably still too low. Multiply by 1.5 since the item has multiple different abilities, so 6,000 gp.

Final
Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, bull’s strength, longstrider; Price 46,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.