PDA

View Full Version : Skin Suit Expanded

Lanth Sor
2017-10-09, 02:20 PM
A few feats expanding on Skin Suit (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/skin-suit-monster).

Skin Suit [Second Skin]
During the daylight hours, you can cloak your unnatural form beneath a veil of flesh and blood.

Prerequisite(s): Int 7, undead creature that was originally humanoid.
Benefit(s): Once per day as a full-round action, you can cloak your body in a thin, fleshy suit that gives you the appearance of yourself as a young adult humanoid. Your appearance changes as per alter self, but this feat doesn’t adjust your ability scores or grant any new abilities. When so disguised, you cannot use slashing or piercing natural attacks, such as bite or claw attacks, without unraveling and destroying your skin suit, nor can you deliver energy drain or ability damage with your undead special attacks (such as a wight or vampire’s slam attacks) without destroying the suit. While wearing a skin suit, your alignment is masked as though by a constant undetectable alignment spell, and you have the aura of a living creature instead of an undead creature for the purposes of detect undead and similar effects.
The skin suit dissolves into a puddle of bloody slurry at sundown, though you can remove it at any time as a standard action. The skin suit does not protect you from the effects of being exposed to direct sunlight. Finally, if you take lethal damage while wearing your skin suit, you must succeed at a Reflex save with a DC equal to the amount of lethal damage or the skin suit is destroyed.
Incorporeal undead gain a strength score based on size + 2 per [Second Skin] feat. Fine 0, Diminutive 1, Tiny 2, Small 6, Medium 8, Large 16, Huge 24, Gargantuan 32, Colossal 40.
Special: Gain an additional use per [Second Skin] feat. All functions of this are supernatural abilities.

Night Suit [Second Skin]
You cloak of flesh and blood is more resilient to your dark nature.
Prerequisite(s): Int 7, undead creature that was originally humanoid, Skin Suit, Cha 13
Benefit(s): The skin suit no longer dissolves into a puddle as soon as it is night. Gain or increase turn resistance by +1 per [Second Skin] feat while in Skin Suit.

Resilient Skin [Second Skin]
You cloak of flesh and blood is more resilient to physical harm.
Prerequisite(s): Int 7, undead creature that was originally humanoid, Skin Suit, Cha 13
Benefit(s): The skin suit does not break upon taking 5 damage or less per [Second Skin] feat, no save is required. Gain +5 to the reflex save vs lethal damage to destroy the skin suit per [Second Skin] feat. While in skin gain DR 1/- per [Second Skin] feat while in the Skin Suit.

Skin Shade [Second Skin]
You cloak of flesh and blood is thick enough to protect against even the sun.
Prerequisite(s): Int 7, undead creature that was originally humanoid, Skin Suit, Night Suit, Resilient Skin, Cha 15
Benefit(s): The skin suit now provides protection form sunlight and effects that target undead or have a special effect against the undead treat you as living as long as your skin suit remains. Any weakness while in skin gain +2 to saves vs the weakness per [Second Skin] feat.

Skin of a Thousand Faces [Second Skin]
Your mastery expands to imitation of other's skin.
Prerequisite(s): Int 7, undead creature that was originally humanoid, Skin Suit, Night Suit, Resilient Skin, Skin Shade, Cha 17
Benefit(s): When activating Skin Suit you may choose to replicate anyone you know or have a piece of (such as strand off hair drop of blood, nail clipping, ETC). When taking the countenance you gain a +3 per [Second Skin] feat to disguise checks. You also gain the same bonus to skill checks to pass as them. You gain any racial traits of the creatures race. You may use your own or the creature your imitating's strength and dexterity, chosen independently. Your voice even takes their natural sound.

Swift Don Skin [Second Skin]
You cloak of flesh and blood is manifests in moments.
Prerequisite(s): Int 7, undead creature that was originally humanoid, Skin Suit, 3rd level, Cha 15
Benefit(s): The skin suit can be donned as one step quicker per [Second Skin] feat. Standard with just Swift Don Skin>Move with 2 feats, Swift with 3 feats. Immediate with 4 feats. It cannot be faster than immediate action. Gain or increase fast healing by 1 per [Second Skin] feat.

Masters Skin Suit [Second Skin]
You cloak of flesh and blood is just as much your skin as the nightmarish form you truly are.
Prerequisite(s): Int 7, undead creature that was originally humanoid, Skin Suit, Swift Don Skin, Skin Shade, Resilient Skin, Night Suit, Skin of a Thousand Faces, 13th character level, Cha 17,
Benefit(s): Your skin suit can be used at-will and you can maintain it when it would be lost as an immediate action. All benefits provided by your Skin Suit become an extraordinary ability. Gain Shapechanger subtype. Changing between people with Skin of a Thousand Faces does not require shedding skin suits.

rferries
2017-10-09, 03:11 PM
These are all very flavourful but I don't know if they're all worth taking - rather than invest basically your entire build into the feat chain, it's probably easier to get a few magic items of undetectable alignment, disguise self, and protection from daylight to duplicate the effects. Unless you meant the skin's damage reduction protects you as well?

Lanth Sor
2017-10-09, 05:02 PM
These are all very flavourful but I don't know if they're all worth taking - rather than invest basically your entire build into the feat chain, it's probably easier to get a few magic items of undetectable alignment, disguise self, and protection from daylight to duplicate the effects. Unless you meant the skin's damage reduction protects you as well?

I've revamped the interactions to up their power. I could use some addressing for individual feats.

rferries
2017-10-09, 05:43 PM
0) Skin Suit: Good idea to streamline the extra uses per day to the Special.

1) Night Suit: Needs a benefit to the PC, not just for the skin. You gain fast healing or turn resistance at night while wearing a skin, maybe?

2) Resilient Suit: Should be phrased as a +5 bonus (same as Night Suit). Otherwise the damage reduction is perfect, exactly the sort of scaling benefit that encourages investing in a feat chain (the fast healing/turn resistance I mentioned above could scale as well).

3) Skin Shade: Good stuff, a must-have for vampires, and a good source for the aforementioned turn resistance too. Though it occurs to me, how does the skin work for incorporeal undead? Are they corporeal while in a skin? Can they grasp corporeal objects using their new flesh?

4) Skin of a Thousand Faces: I'm torn - on the one hand a hat of disguise is easier than needing all those feats, on the other this is wonderfully nightmarish! Maybe grant the [Shapechanger] subtype too?

5) Swift Don Skin: I can't really see this being useful, except in extremely niche circumstances.

6) Master's Skin Suit: If the other feats are buffed this is a nice capstone.

rferries
2017-10-09, 05:44 PM
I should add, don't take my critiques too seriously. I'm looking at the feats from a PC perspective, but since they'll mostly be taken by undead NPCs they don't have to have the same utility.

Lanth Sor
2017-10-13, 10:48 AM
added fast healing and some other side benefits to the feats.

rferries
2017-10-13, 05:08 PM
All very cool.

I'd give Skin Suit the [Second Skin] tag as well, reduce the Night Skin turn resistance to +1 per feat, and simplify Swift Don Skin (n.b. should be donned rather than dawned) to an immediate action + fast healing.

It takes 7 feats to fully invest in the chain, so you could build an 18 Hit Dice undead around this concept - either a homebrewed one or simply by advancing a mohrg or somesuch (for once undead HD aren't so worthless!). Very creepy! :)

p.s. what about incorporeal undead? Can they wear suits?

Lanth Sor
2017-10-13, 06:27 PM
p.s. what about incorporeal undead? Can they wear suits?

Yes because it creates the flesh and blood.

rferries
2017-10-13, 06:42 PM
Yes because it creates the flesh and blood.

Righto. Maybe mention that they lose the incorporeal subtype (and gain a Strength score) then?

Suggested Strength scores:

Undead Size

Strength

Fine

Diminuitive

Tiny

Small

Medium

Large

Huge

Gargantuan

Colossal

With +2 Strength per [Second Skin] feat... and maybe even make it so corporeal undead use their own Strength or the suit's Strength, whichever is greater.

nonsi
2017-10-14, 12:15 AM
A toll of 7 feats seems unreasonably high to me.
I'd consider making Night Suit, Resilient Skin and Skin Shade an evolving part of Skin Suit. The final benefits might end up a bit lower, but that way Skin Suit would grant a decent suite of benefits and still would leave the undead enough build resources for other things.
The other feats you proposed are build-versatility associated and are fine as they are.