PDA

View Full Version : TV Astro Fighter Sunred: It's like Sesame Street with Power Ranges and satire

Scowling Dragon
2017-10-09, 07:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRsiCn8tszM
I'm putting this up to try to promote this good show again and explain why its good.

The story revolves around the Tama River area, based mostly in Kawasaki City Kanagawa where battles are fought between the evil organization Florsheim and the ally of justice Astro Sunfighter Sunred. Done in the manner of Sentai, the villains are all designed as if they are guys in suits. In fact, some villains have heads that look like Sentai Masks. And in the opening sets up some lighthearted character drama and lots of fighting from Sunred as he uses energy attacks to defeat his villains.

Except...None of the things it sets up really happens. Whatever the case, Sunred doesn't even need anything more then a half-hearted slap (If his intimidating glare alone doesn't set them off running) in order to defeat any single new opponent. He doesn't even bother wearing his complete uniform...Ever. He has all the standard Sentai equipment (Lasers, Vehicles, Super forms, Orbiting weapons platforms) but he just doesn't use them in the show, ever.
In fact, most of his day is spent lounging around his girlfriend's apartment mooching off of her and playing Pachinko.
Whilst the villains are all productive and polite members of society, in fact, Sunreds archvillain General Vamp is part of the local community meet and has the temperament and personality of Mr. Rogers.

And this is where my Sesame street comparison comes from. This was adapted from a Seinen (As in more adult Manga), and actually adapted pretty accurately and faithfully, but it was structured and made for a very young age demographic in Japan, and so it has lots of small story vignettes and even cooking segments and lasts about 14 minutes per episode.
And it somehow works very well.

Its a very well made Satire of the Sentai Genre, like One-Punch Man but executed in reverse. It's One-Punched Men. It's the villains that want the heroes to be taking this seriously, and doggedly attack the heroes with the knowledge that they will just be beaten within an inch of their lives and then scolded about how unprofessional they act.

It's also a very comfy show. There is very little focus on the actual fighting, and so the stories focus more on the daily lives of the characters, with more of a focus on the villains than the protagonists. But they're so pleasant. It's such a pleasant show to watch. Everybody is friendly and nice to each other (Except Sunred himself whos a rude *******) and teaching valuable life lessons about friendship, and doing the right thing.

Personally, I found this to be the best Superhero "Subversion" or "Satire" or "reconstruction" I have ever witnessed, beating out OPM MHA, and a whole barrel of other stuff I have trashed on these forums because it doesn't cheat its formula. The villains aren't misunderstood, the heroes aren't monsters or not interested in being good people.

Id recommends everybody watch about 3 episodes and see if they find it amusing or not. It's not for everybody, and your not gonna get some stellar animation or action, but if you like seeing characters mull around and just do fun stuff in action shonnen, but would like it if they just cut out all that repetative go-nowhere action and just focused on the characters this is the show for you.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-10-09, 08:37 PM
I have heard of this actually. I will need to see if it is on Hulu or maybe Crunchyroll.

Scowling Dragon
2017-10-09, 08:47 PM
I have heard of this actually. I will need to see if it is on Hulu or maybe Crunchyroll.

Nope. It was never popular enough. That also means it isn't lucrative to shoot down fantranslations. Its all available on youtube translated by fansubs.